Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
154 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  4L60E
Automatic Transmission - 4 Speed

1st Gear: 3.06
2nd Gear: 1.62
3rd Gear: 1.00
4th Gear: 0.70

Reverse: 2.29

- Used in production GM models...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

captmike13 Thursday 4 December 2014
Elite Guru
Hillsboro Mo
2166 Posts

Good morning gang.

Hope Uman got some sleep finally.

Cold here this morning temps in the low 20's and should be nice today with highs in the low 30's.

On with today.

Word of the Day Thursday, December 04, 2014

wanion \ WON-yuhn \, noun;

Origin:

Wanion entered English in the mid-1500s. It's an alteration of the Middle English waniand and comes from the Middle English phrase in the waniand mone , literally meaning "in the time of the waning moon." Figuratively, this means "in an unluckly hour."

Today is NATIONAL COOKIE DAY

National Cookie Day is observed annually on December 4th.

Entering into American English through the Dutch in North America, the word“cookie” derived from the Dutch word “koekie” meaning little cake.

There have been cookie-like hard wafers in existence for as long as baking has been documented. This is because they traveled well however, they were usually not sweet enough to be considered cookies by modern day standards.

The origin of the cookie appears to begin in Persia in the 7th century, soon after the use of sugar became common in the region. They were then spread to Europe through the Muslim conquest of Spain. Cookies were common in all levels of society throughout Europe by the 14th century, from the royal cuisine to the street vendors.

Cookies arrived in America in the 17th century. Macaroons and gingerbread cookies were among the popular early American cookies.

In most English-speaking countries outside of North America, the most common word for cookie is biscuit. In some regions, both terms, “cookies” and “biscuits” are used.

Cookies are classified into different categories, with the most common ones being:

Bar cookies – Drop cookies – Filled cookies
Molded cookies – No bake cookies
Pressed cookies – Refrigerator cookies
Rolled cookies – SandwichcookiesTo celebrate National Cookie Day, try one of the following “tried and true” cookie recipes or pick up some cookies at your local bakery. Remember to share some of your cookies with your family and friends!http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/first-place-coconut-macaroons

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/gi ... ies-101-recipe/index.html

HAPPY NATIONAL COOKIE DAY!

NATIONAL COOKIE DAY HISTORY

Our research has found that National Cookie Day, an “unofficial” national holiday, was started in 1987 by the Blue Chip Cookie Company.

NATIONAL DICE DAY

Each year on December 4th, people across the United States celebrate National Dice Day. There are many games that dice are a part of and there are games with just the dice, so to celebrate National Dice Day, choose your favorite one and play away!

Typically dice are thrown onto a flat surface either from the hand or a dice cup. The value of the throw is determined by the uppermost face of the die after it has come to a rest. One popular dice game is craps where wagers are made on the total value of the throw of the dice. Frequently used in board games, dice are used to randomize a players moves, commonly by deciding the distance a piece will move on a board. Popular board games using dice are backgammon and Monopoly.

The origin of dice is uncertain however it is known that they have been around for thousands of years. At the Burnt City, an archaeological site in south-eastern Iran, the oldest known dice were excavated as part of a 5000-year-old backgammon set.

Dice were originally made from the talus (ankle bone) of hoofed animals.

Ivory, wood and plastics are other materials used in making dice.

Happy Rollin’

NATIONAL DICE DAY HISTORY

Within our research, we were unable to find the creator and origin of National Dice Day, an “unofficial” national holiday.
Posted on: 2014/12/4 10:36

captmike13@yahoo.com
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

pianoguy Re: Thursday 4 December 2014
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Kee ka oos
Posted on: 2014/12/4 11:34

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Matatk Re: Thursday 4 December 2014
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22811 Posts

Good Morning CGs!

Been busy around here with work, family, etc. Not even from the upcoming holiday, just life in general.

Something bothered me that I heard the other day. A little girl was talking about school and the upcoming "Christmas" break...and then had to correct herself to say "I mean winter holiday break". Should I be bothered by that? Am I the only one. I'm not a religious person but I don't get offended by the word "Christmas"...any thoughts?

Hope everyone has a great day!

Matthew
Posted on: 2014/12/4 12:40

TommyT-Bone Re: Thursday 4 December 2014
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33810 Posts

Quote:

captmike13 wrote:

Word of the Day Thursday, December 04, 2014
wanion \ WON-yuhn \, noun;

Genetic engineers have created a new product soon to be on the produce shelves, the wanion. By crossing complex DNA matter, the watermelon/onion, wanion, was created and expected to be in big demand this holiday season.
Posted on: 2014/12/4 12:49

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33810 Posts

Matt, since there are people of every ethnic background encompassing this entire nation it is best to embrace strangers with Happy Holidays and acquaintances you know to celebrate Christmas with Merry Christmas. It is also customary to say Merry Christmas to members of the gay community since we know this time of year to be the time they don their gay apparel. Fa, la,la, la,la, La, la ,la-la

Posted on: 2014/12/4 12:57

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33810 Posts

Quote:

pianoguy wrote:

For you straight tone deaf guys .......

Posted on: 2014/12/4 13:09

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Good Morning CGs!

Been busy around here with work, family, etc. Not even from the upcoming holiday, just life in general.

Something bothered me that I heard the other day. A little girl was talking about school and the upcoming "Christmas" break...and then had to correct herself to say "I mean winter holiday break". Should I be bothered by that? Am I the only one. I'm not a religious person but I don't get offended by the word "Christmas"...any thoughts?

Matthew

Come now, Matt - you're not being politically correct :-P

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2014/12 ... -mug-reveals-name-change/

Makes me nauseous.

Anyway, we're starting about a 10-day warm-up here, which will be a most welcome change. Mother Nature has apparently turned the thermostat up slightly from "Suck".

Enjoy your day, Gurus!
Posted on: 2014/12/4 13:21

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33810 Posts

Quote:

pianoguy wrote:
Loni

Attach file:

jpg  Loni.jpg (107.63 KB)
852_54806eed707a8.jpg 500X644 px

jpg  Loni-Anderson.jpg (58.55 KB)
852_54806f0648c50.jpg 396X594 px
Posted on: 2014/12/4 14:26

istter1 Re: Thursday 4 December 2014
Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

will be back to the 70s again rain over with
Posted on: 2014/12/4 14:27

Ultraman Re: Thursday 4 December 2014
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14790 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Good Morning CGs!

Matthew

It is Christmas break and its ok to call it that. It is a day set aside to honor the birth of Christ and no matter what they want to call it they can't refute the origin........I'm not religious either but I do love Jesus and try to live my life as to please him....what we used to call, Jesus Freaks or 12 long haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse micro bus......God's gift to us is Grace so that for those who believe, eternal life will be the gift......nothing else is required, it all happened at the cross.....anything added to that is an attempt to control people and that is what religion is best at.......geez.....now you got me started.......anyway its Christmas dammit.........

today I am going in to see the Doc.....no, really I am.....this thing is not going away so give me drugs to help kick this things ass......

Have a good day Guru's......keep the shiny side up......
Posted on: 2014/12/4 14:28

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Posted on: 2014/12/4 14:49

teebee Re: Thursday 4 December 2014
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12392 Posts

Morning guys....fighting this f@#king computer this morning. It's a bit warmer this morning, above freezing. I'm with you Matt, it's BS. I will say that we had, at the Winter music concert Tuesday night, songs that were about Christmas, Santa Claus and it didn't hurt anyone's feeling.

#2 GS plays ball today in the next town over, a 30 minute drive. So we will have to leave as soon as school is out.
Posted on: 2014/12/4 14:56

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

Lakin, Kansas 67860
12392 Posts

Those were good Brad.
Posted on: 2014/12/4 14:59

Resized Image

vetteblondie Re: Thursday 4 December 2014
Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4680 Posts

I'm not a huge "bible thumper" either but I, too, believe in Jesus and try to do good in my life and often times screw up the good he tries to do for me. I'm not a fan of organized religion - all that is - is merely a bunch of people who gathered and set their own rules to control others and impose their personal beliefs and twist bible verses - IMHO... wasn't that way when Jesus taught. Either way, as Marcus said - it's CHRISTmas... irks the shit out of me when people say X-mas... but to each their own. Still 40s and dreary and rainy here - been very stressful and busy at the 'day job' - hoping for a slower day today. One of the guys ate all my aspirin
Posted on: 2014/12/4 15:27

Yes, I'm a bitch... just not YOURS.

Resized Image

GRIS Re: Thursday 4 December 2014
Elite Guru
OKLAHOMA
7727 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Good Morning CGs!

Matthew

CHRISTMAS FOREVER!
AND BE DAMNED TO THE POLITICALLY CORRECT.
Posted on: 2014/12/4 15:30

---"yellow is for folks who think a bright red Corvette is too restrained."

Elite Guru
OKLAHOMA
7727 Posts

WET FOGGY CHILL THIS IS NOT A PRETTY DAY IN THE NATIONS. THE CHEROKEES ARE SULKING.
Posted on: 2014/12/4 15:32

Lakin, Kansas 67860
12392 Posts

Cloudy and cool still...I thought it might warm up when it started out above freezing, but it hasn't done much temp-wise since. Just stepped outside between classes and it's damp feeling. Maybe some moisture in our future.

MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone!
Posted on: 2014/12/4 17:07

Resized Image

Elite Guru
OKLAHOMA
7727 Posts

Quote:

vetteblondie wrote:
I'm not a huge "bible thumper" either but I, too, believe in Jesus and try to do good in my life and often times screw up the good he tries to do for me. I'm not a fan of organized religion - all that is - is merely a bunch of people who gathered and set their own rules to control others

I'M WITH YOU LETTY. I BELIEVE IN GOD, PREACHERS, NOT SO MUCH.

and impose their personal beliefs and twist bible verses - IMHO... wasn't that way when Jesus taught. (

ACTUALLY IT WAS THAT WAY. THOSE ARE THE VERY FOLKS THAT CRUCIFIED HIM. "THE PREACHERS AND THE LAWYERS---" ACCORDING TO WOODY GUTHRY.

Posted on: 2014/12/4 17:58

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33810 Posts

Not all Americans are Christian but to those that are I offer a Merry Christmas. In the economic sense it's best not to alienate those that celebrate other traditions, so for the retailer it makes sense to offer Happy Holidays. Many atheists and agnostics celebrate the Santa version of the holiday. To each their own, and to you, I'd like to share my chocolate bar. The government is of the people by the people and for the most part very confusing. In God We Trust.
Posted on: 2014/12/4 18:06

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33810 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:

In case you're wondering ........

Posted on: 2014/12/4 18:08

Lakin, Kansas 67860
12392 Posts

My faith is based on Jesus' teachings. The man that stands up there in front of church each week is only helping me understand those principles. I don't put a tremendous amount of faith in the man himself, but weigh his words and teachings with my understanding of Jesus' teaching.

I am tolerant, even understanding, to other religions. I just have a problem with the idea that one religion believes they are superior to all others and that all, or any, others are wrong. I just hope and pray that I please my God and that he will see fit that I might be with him/her/it for eternity. (just my belief) To each his own.
Posted on: 2014/12/4 21:09

Resized Image

vetteblondie Re: Thursday 4 December 2014
Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4680 Posts

Quote:

GRIS wrote:
Quote:

vetteblondie wrote:
I'm not a huge "bible thumper" either but I, too, believe in Jesus and try to do good in my life and often times screw up the good he tries to do for me. I'm not a fan of organized religion - all that is - is merely a bunch of people who gathered and set their own rules to control others

I'M WITH YOU LETTY. I BELIEVE IN GOD, PREACHERS, NOT SO MUCH.

and impose their personal beliefs and twist bible verses - IMHO... wasn't that way when Jesus taught. (

ACTUALLY IT WAS THAT WAY. THOSE ARE THE VERY FOLKS THAT CRUCIFIED HIM. "THE PREACHERS AND THE LAWYERS---" ACCORDING TO WOODY GUTHRY.

Was referring to the fact that I don't recall reading about Lutherans, Methodists, Episcopalians, Baptists, Church of Christ, latter day Saints and all that back then.. actual followers of Jesus, listened to Jesus teach what was written in the bible, wasn't broken down into a bazillion denominations per se...
but hey - I dont' read like I'm supposed to, either.
With all that now - you get the cults and what not - well just my 2c
But - I don't want to alienate them either, but this country was founded on God and in my opinion if you dont' like it, dont' come over here and try to change it - respect our religion or go home. I will respect yours.
Posted on: 2014/12/4 21:35

Yes, I'm a bitch... just not YOURS.

Resized Image

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33810 Posts

The Bible is older than Jesus and the teachings go beyond the New Testament. Let's just say there is something lost in the translation, lost writings, modified and destroyed text but somewhere in there is a hint of truth. There is some great reading and many good lessons to be learned whether truth or fiction.
Posted on: 2014/12/5 13:08

Elite Guru
OKLAHOMA
7727 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:

The Bible is older than Jesus and the teachings go beyond the New Testament. Let's just say there is something lost in the translation, lost writings, modified and destroyed text but somewhere in there is a hint of truth. There is some great reading and many good lessons to be learned whether truth or fiction.

QUITE SO.

THE BIBLE IS FULL OF POETRY, METAPHOR, SIMILE, AND XENOPHOBIA. A PROFOUND MESSAGE IS THERE, BUT IT’S PRETTY MUCH UP TO EACH INDIVIDUAL TO FIGURE IT OUT.

OF COURSE, THERE’S NEVER A SHORTAGE OF PEOPLE WHO WANT TO TELL YOU WHAT IT IS.
Posted on: 2014/12/5 14:54

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.