Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
316 user(s) are online (300 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Grand Sport
RPO Z16.

A one year special. 1000 were made to honor both the end of the C4 and the original racers, called Grand Sports, from 1963.

All were...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

captmike13 Friday, May day 2015
Elite Guru
Hillsboro Mo
2165 Posts

Welcome to May.

One quarter of the way through the year.

Should be a nice day here today with temps in the 70's and plenty of sunshine.

Word of the day is rhapsodic.

Today is NATIONAL SPACE DAY

Annually observed on the first Friday of May is National Space Day. This day is dedicated to the extraordinary achievements, benefits and opportunities in the exploration and use of space.

Teachers, students, space related organizations, groups and agencies hold celebrations, demonstrations and educational programs and have been enthusiastically involved in this award-winning program since its inception. Because of National Space Day’s fast growth in popularity, this day has since grown into an International Space Day which is now celebrated worldwide.

NATIONAL SPACE DAY HISTORY

National Space Day was originally created in 1997 by the Lockheed Martin Corporation as a one day event. The day was created to get America’s youth interested in science and math. Due to it’s extreme popularity, it grew into an annual event. In 2001, former astronaut and Senator John Glenn expanded Space Day to International Space Day.

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/educ ... cators/spaceday/index.asp

SILVER STAR SERVICE BANNER DAY
The Silver Star Families of America believed that there should be a day set aside to remember the sacrifices of the wounded and ill and therefore petitioned the states to make May 1 Silver Star Service Banner Day.

The United States House of Representatives passed H Res. 855, a stand alone resolution on April 21, 2010, making the SSFOA Silver Star Service Banner official and making May 1 Silver Star Service Banner Day.

“Resolved, That the House of Representatives supports the designation of ‘Silver Star Service Banner Day’ and calls upon the people of the United States to observe the day with appropriate programs, ceremonies, and activities.”

The United States Senate followed suit and on May 19, 2010, approved Senate Resolution 534 which was then sent to the President of the United States.

“Resolved, That the Senate designates May 1, 2010, as ‘Silver Star Service Banner Day’ and calls upon the people of the United States to observe the day with appropriate programs, ceremonies, and activities.”

On April 29, 2011, President Barack Obama issued the following statement:

“When our men and women in uniform return from deployment, it is our moral obligation and great honor to serve them as well as they served us. Our debt of gratitude extends to their families and friends, who embody the same qualities of bravery, sacrifice and duty exhibited by their loved ones. On Silver Star Service Banner Day, we recommit to caring for those who return to us wounded or ill, and we remain humbled by the heroic contributions they have made to our Nation.

NATIONAL CHOCOLATE PARFAIT DAY

May 1 celebrates the food holiday National Chocolate Parfait Day. Enjoying a delicious chocolate parfait would be a perfect way to end your day. Actually, parfait literally means “perfect” in French! In the U.S., parfait makers create parfait’s the traditional French-style using sugar syrup, eggs and cream or the American style, layering parfait cream, ice cream and/or flavored gelatin in a tall, clear glass-topped with whipped cream, fruit and/or liqueurs. The parfait has taken a popular healthy turn today using yogurt layered with nuts and fresh fruits, instead of ice cream and sugary syrups.

CELEBRATE

Enjoy your own version of a chocolate parfait today with family and friends! Use #ChocolateParfaitDay on social media to share you love for this tasty food holiday!

HISTORY

We were unable to find the creator of National Chocolate Parfait Day, an “unofficial” National holiday. Our research did find this scrumptious dessert dates back to 1894 and seems to have originated in France.

NATIONAL MOTHER GOOSE DAY

National Mother Goose Day is celebrated each year on May 1 . This day honors Mother Goose, the imaginary author of a collection of fairy tales and nursery rhymes we loved as a child. Mother Goose is often illustrated as an elderly country woman in a tall hat and shawl, but she is also sometimes depicted as a goose wearing a bonnet. Mother Goose Day was founded in 1987 by Gloria T. Delamar in tandem with the publication of her book, Mother Goose; From Nursery to Literature.

Enjoy 2 different versions of Peter, Peter, Pumpkin Eater:

(Originally dated in Mother Goose’s Quarto c1825)

Peter, Peter, pumpkin eater,
Had another, and didn’t love her;
Peter learned to read and spell,
And then he loved her very well.

(Most well-known version)

Peter, Peter, pumpkin eater,
Had a wife and couldn’t keep her;
He put her in a pumpkin shell
And there he keep her very well.

CELEBRATE

In honor of Mother Goose Day, revisit those wonderful childhood stories with your own children. Share your favorite Mother Goose story using #NationalMotherGooseDay on social media.

HISTORY

Charles Perrault is believed to be the initiator of the fairy tale genre when he published his fairy tale collection in 1695. His publication marks the first authenticated starting point for the Mother Goose stories. An English version of Perrault’s collection appeared in 1729: Robert Samber’s Histories or Tales of Past Times, Told by Mother Goose. These fairy tales introduced Sleeping Beauty, Little Red Riding Hood, Puss in Boots, Cinderella and others. Mother Goose’s Melody – A book of poems for children was published in 1781 and has been enjoyed by billions since then.

NATIONAL LOYALTY DAY

National Loyalty Day is observed annually on May 1. This day is set aside for the reaffirmation of loyalty to the United States and for the recognition of the heritage of American freedom.

CELEBRATE

The President of the U.S. issues a proclamation annually on May 1 as part of celebratory activities of National Loyalty Day. Communities throughout the country also celebrate this patriotic day with parades and ceremonies. Use #NationalLoyaltyDay to show your loyalty to American freedom.

HISTORY

First observed in 1921 as “Americanization Day,” this holiday was intended to counterbalance the celebration of Labor Day on May Day. On July 18, 1958, it was made on official holiday by the U.S. Congress (Public Law 85-529). President Dwight D. Eisenhower proclaimed May 1, 1959 the first official observance of Loyalty Day. This day has been recognized with an official proclamation every year, by every president, since it’s inception as a legal holiday in 1958.

LAW DAY Originally the idea of Charles S. Rhyne and declared by Dwight D. Eisenhower, Law Day is meant to reflect on the role of law in the foundation of the country and to recognize its importance for society. Law Day is celebrated annually on May 1 in the United States.
Posted on: 2015/5/1 10:46
Edited by TommyT-Bone on 2015/5/1 14:02:22

captmike13@yahoo.com
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Matatk Friday Chat 05.01.15
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Good Morning CGs!

Site was running slow so not much time to type before work.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Matthew
Posted on: 2015/5/1 10:48

Ultraman Re: May day 2015
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14737 Posts

Yep its May......and the beat goes on....

Got the halo put on the car and it looks real good....to bad I don't know how to send a picture to my photo bucket account on my new phone.....I will work on that today....

Had to drive the Quick and the Silver on gravel roads yesterday since our road at the house is closed because they are putting in a new water line.....The first year I owned the car I would have gone 5 mph.......after 3 years I drove about 35.....and in a few more years I will be drifting the corners.....

Got early runs to make have a uneventful day Guru's......
Posted on: 2015/5/1 12:11

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

teebee Re: May day 2015
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12364 Posts

Morning guys....up early and around, woke up thinking about the situation I was put into yesterday and how I'm going to respond.
Posted on: 2015/5/1 12:20

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

pianoguy Re: May day 2015
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Skuye'n 'u-koy!

Kinda cloudy and it's supposed to rain, so I drove the dusty truck - it needs a bath. I did manage to get the lawn mowed last night - it definitely needed it. I guess our 6 months of no yard work is over.

Much to consider indeed, Tom! And Marcus, let's see that halo thingy!

Enjoy your Friday, Gurus!
Posted on: 2015/5/1 12:46

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Ultraman Re: May day 2015
Huskerland
14737 Posts

Soooooo......Tee......its a tough decision to know when to quit. Its easy for me because I don't have enough money saved to live the wild and gregarious lifestyle that I am accustomed to. So keep going is my only option.

You have a whole other business or two that you could devote full time to and do well I'm thinking....

What about the insurance? My wife has the best insurance in the world right now and they have to drag the old teachers out kicking and screaming because they don't want to lose that coverage......

In the end it comes down to if you are looking to start in on a new adventure or stay in the comfort of what is known....of which there is no shame in that but you will step down someday from teaching......oooor you could come up here and drive truck with me.....

I will pray the Lord gives you a peace about what you choose.....
Posted on: 2015/5/1 13:01

teebee Re: May day 2015
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12364 Posts

Get insurance through Rosie, so that's not an issue.
Posted on: 2015/5/1 13:53

Resized Image

TommyT-Bone Re: May day 2015
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Topic merged with Matts
Posted on: 2015/5/1 14:02

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Tee, whatever you choose is the right choice. Some choices are just more right than others. As an independent entrepreneur I'm sure you have plenty to keep you occupied and income flowing. I'm sure you would go through separation anxiety for a period of time but soon would discover a new independence. Except for the interruption of ....................... Ring ................ Ring ................... of course.
Posted on: 2015/5/1 14:11

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Downright gorgeous day here in SoFlo. Cool start to the morning. For that I am grateful. We can expect a week of what they say will be more normal temperatures for this time of year. THANK YOU. 95/96 highs and 78 lows came just a little too early for my tastes. Working on stuff. Nurseries need the grass cut (now once a week) and I'm prepping for the pond filter installation, getting all my fittings together. Yep, plumbing. Have a good day one and all. The grass is always greener in the other fellows yard, unless it's my yard. My grass is pretty GD green.
Posted on: 2015/5/1 14:17

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Posted on: 2015/5/1 14:26

GRIS Re: May day 2015
Elite Guru
OKLAHOMA
7641 Posts

Quote:

teebee wrote:
Morning guys....up early and around, woke up thinking about the situation I was put into yesterday and how I'm going to respond.

RETIREMENT IS GREAT; LIKE BEING A KID AGAIN, BUT THIS TIME WITH A DOLLAR IN YOUR POCKET :-)
Posted on: 2015/5/1 14:40

---"yellow is for folks who think a bright red Corvette is too restrained."

GRIS Re: Friday, May day 2015
Elite Guru
OKLAHOMA
7641 Posts

"OH WHAT A BEAUTIFUL MORNING---"
THE SUN IS SHINING ON THE NATIONS; THE CHEROKEES REJOICE.
AND A HAPPY BELTANE TO ALL ANCIENT CELTS.
GOT TO GET OUT AND DO SOMETHING TODAY, JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT :-)
Posted on: 2015/5/1 14:43

Ultraman Re: Friday, May day 2015
Huskerland
14737 Posts

Posted on: 2015/5/1 16:03

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

GRIS wrote:
Quote:

teebee wrote:

RETIREMENT IS GREAT; LIKE BEING A KID AGAIN, BUT THIS TIME WITH A DOLLAR IN YOUR POCKET :-)

Yep, a kid with a big chore list.

Attach file:

jpg  Book of Love.jpg (79.49 KB)
852_5543a67908a8f.jpg 527X768 px
Posted on: 2015/5/1 16:15

teebee Re: Friday, May day 2015
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12364 Posts

So is ours, Tommy. But it's all on Rosie, she's the one who does the yard work.

I'm sure that there will be an adjustment period.
Posted on: 2015/5/1 16:27

Resized Image

Lakin, Kansas 67860
12364 Posts

Not quite that big, Tommy.
Posted on: 2015/5/1 16:28

Resized Image

Matatk Re: Friday, May day 2015
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Marcus - download the free photo bucket application from the play store.

TB - that sounds like a good plan for the transition.

Gris - a dollar doesn't stretch as far as it used to
Posted on: 2015/5/1 17:26

CentralCoaster Re: May day 2015
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

Ultraman wrote:
Yep its May......and the beat goes on....

Got the halo put on the car and it looks real good....to bad I don't know how to send a picture to my photo bucket account on my new phone.....I will work on that today....

Had to drive the Quick and the Silver on gravel roads yesterday since our road at the house is closed because they are putting in a new water line.....The first year I owned the car I would have gone 5 mph.......after 3 years I drove about 35.....and in a few more years I will be drifting the corners.....

Got early runs to make have a uneventful day Guru's......

There's probably an app, but the easiest way I've found to do it from anywhere is there is an email address you can send photos to and it goes in to the main folder automatically, so have that email saved in my contacts. And it's supposed to send you a message back with a link to the photo, so you could post it without even logging into photobucket. I had to find the email on the site. Sometimes I've noticed a delay though.

You can also attach a photo directly from your computer to here. It shows up as a link, but if I want it displayed I open the attachment to copy the link then edit the post and stick it right in the post.
Posted on: 2015/5/1 18:46

TommyT-Bone Re: Friday, May day 2015
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

Ultraman wrote:
A forum where I am only a lurker.....

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=36313.2080

This gave me a brain strain ............ Now I need some ibuprofen.
Posted on: 2015/5/1 19:00

Ultraman Re: Friday, May day 2015
Huskerland
14737 Posts

Hahaha.....no kidding...who are those guys?
Posted on: 2015/5/1 23:58

Matatk Re: Friday, May day 2015
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Kevin, I upload my phone photos to photo bucket with the app / program, it's super easy.
Posted on: 2015/5/2 0:29

GRIS Re: Friday, May day 2015
Elite Guru
OKLAHOMA
7641 Posts

"OH WHAT A BEAUTIFUL DAY---"

DID SOME YARD STUFF AND DROVE THE TOMATO OVER TO OKMULGEE SO #1 DAUGHTER'S VET COLLEAGUE EVA COULD DRIVE IT AND DROOL. ALL WAS GO WHEN I LEFT HOME BUT BY THE TIME I GOT THERE AN EMERGENCY CAME IN AND THEY HAD A DOG DISASSEMBLED ALL OVER THE TABLE. I GOT TIRED OF WAITING FOR THEM TO PUT HIM BACK TOGETHER AGAIN AND LEFT TO GO EAT PIZZA WITH SIL & GRANDKIDS.

LET 16 YO #3 GRANDSON DRIVE THE TOMATO. HE FELL IN LOVE. SAID "THIS IS MORE FUN TO DRIVE THAN ANYTHING. I BET YOU JUST SET AROUND THINKING UP REASONS TO DRIVE THIS CAR."
Posted on: 2015/5/2 3:05

Lakin, Kansas 67860
12364 Posts

evening guys...I had a nice chat with my prospective replacement. He said that my admin is throwing me under the bus, basically offering his wife the carrot of my job for her husband. He told his wife that he'd talked to me a couple week ago (which is 100% true), and knew that I had planned on teaching another year. And he wasn't wanting to push me out.

I told him that if it would make a decision easier, I would step down and let him take over. That I was ready to let go. He said that his daughter really didn't want to come to school here and that was weighing in on his decision. They live half way between where he is teaching now and us, so driving distance isn't a part of the decision. It looks like his wife may still take the job here and he stay where is for a couple years.

I feel good about his coming over and carrying on of my 35 years of program building. He's unhappy where he is, because of administrative things.

I assured him that I would resign my position for him and actually encouraged him to seriously consider the opportunity. He said he would talk with his wife and would call me back. We will talk more.
Posted on: 2015/5/2 3:26

Resized Image

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.