Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
301 user(s) are online (241 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  DIC
Driver Information Center.

This is the display readout panel on the dash. It’s above the radio for 1984-1989; above the climate controls, 1990-...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
(1) 2 »
 Register To Post

red_johnny Home improvement (not tim alan)
On Sabbatical
Augusta, GA (85 383 stroker)
3213 Posts

Me and the wife went to the lowes today to price how much it will cost to update out kitchen. Now, I am talking pretty much stock upgrades. We do want a solid surface counter top and a microwave over the stove but thats about it. We want new cabinets, flooring, lighting, and dry wall. So our estimates are at around 9,000 if we do all of our own work. The more I think about it the more I know that we cant do it all. I am going to have to pay someone to do the walls and ceilings, I can do the electrical as all I have to do is wire a few things up. I am also going to do the floor with the snap together laminate (easier than tileing). We are going to do the demo and buy the appliances. But I think we are going to pay someone to install the cabinets or even have someone make and install them. I still need to pay someone to level the kitchen and living room at least. I think total costs are going to be just over 15,000 which we dont have. I can muster up 12,000 but that would put us in a pickle. I can muster up 10,000 safely but I know that I cant do it for that price. My other option is to refinance AGAIN! And I dont know how I would do that as I am already at 90% value. I would need a specific home improvement loan. And to top things all off is the market here sucks right now and even if I make these improvements I dont know if it will give me a quick sale that I will need when I change duty stations. Ah hell....what to do
Posted on: 2008/2/1 2:36
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

jsup RE:Home improvement (not tim alan)
Elite Guru
1778 Posts

I don't think any of that stuff is all that hard.

I also think that finding the RIGHT person to do the work is difficult.

If the people installing the stuff are contractors, not direct get their paychecks from the place, run, run as fast as you can.

Cabinets are not real difficult to install, however they are difficult to do RIGHT.

everything has to be square, plum, and level. You'll go through a lot of shims on the base cabinets, the top ones are quite a bit easier IMO.

What we did was get a 1X5 and cut the sheetrock out and screwed the 1X5 directly to the studs.

Then you put up a level strip, lay the top cabinets on that, and screw to said 1X5.

The base cabinets will be a bitch if the floors and walls aren't level.

Buy a lot of shims, a 2 foot, 4 foot, and 6 foot level.

It's not that hard, but remember, you have to LIVE THERE while it's all happening.

Cabinets are a two weekend job.
Posted on: 2008/2/1 2:42

red_johnny RE:Home improvement (not tim alan)
On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

Me and the wife are thinking of hireing out to get this done. We do the demo and have someone come in while we go on vacation to do the cabinets, walls, and ceilings. Then we come back, wire up some new lights, do the floor and its done.
Posted on: 2008/2/1 3:25

BillH RE:Home improvement (not tim alan)
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

I'm just getting ready to start this.
Kitchen cabinets aren't that hard to do right. Everyone told me that you need a pro to install windows too, I found out that windows weren't hard to do correctly.
For your cabinets, go to Home depot and pick up the "Kitchen Cabinet Installation Guide" by American Classic cabinets.
Even a caveman could do it with this guide.
You may be able to get it at: www.americanclassickitchens.com
Posted on: 2008/2/1 16:17

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:
Me and the wife are thinking of hireing out to get this done. We do the demo and have someone come in while we go on vacation to do the cabinets, walls, and ceilings. Then we come back, wire up some new lights, do the floor and its done.

So now you can afford the work and a vacation? What changed?

Seriously, I would NEVER leave someone to work in my house if I'm not around. Two reasons:

1. They do shit work if you're not all over them
2. I don't trust anyone and they could be thieves, or their friends could be thieves.. Why would you want total strangers to know that you're not going to be home? That's just me.
Posted on: 2008/2/1 16:33

On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

Good points. I have someone who is going to check the work but as far as steeling I did not think of that.
Posted on: 2008/2/1 16:59

Rex_Ruby RE:Home improvement (not tim alan)
Senior Guru
Philly Suburbs
180 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

Seriously, I would NEVER leave someone to work in my house if I'm not around. Two reasons:

2. I don't trust anyone and they could be thieves, or their friends could be thieves.. Why would you want total strangers to know that you're not going to be home? That's just me.

I have a real problem with the above statement, there is great, good and bad in every profession.
There are great contractors out there and I am one of them.

1. If you are all over me I am more likely to make a mistake. My level of work is the same no matter who is around or watching and I never mind the customer watching. I have to know in my heart I did the best possible job. (and I do)
2. Every project that is longer than a week I have a key to their house and on the average 50% of the time I am the only one there. Stealing something never enters my mind, I work for all I have and plan to get.

I know there are bad ones out there BUT there are good ones too.

Let me add this: I am not cheap. I expect to get paid well to do what I do. But everyone that enters into a contract with me gets more than they paid for and are always estatic about the end result.

TO: red_johnny:
Budgetary costs for a kitchen:
$300 a cabinet - medium grade ($600 high end)
$80 sf for solid conter tops
$300 under mount sink
$200 faucet
$100 misc plumbing
$1500 up for appliances

Flooring, the snap together products are nice and fairly easy but nothing feels as good as a nice ceramic tile floor. Tile isn't that hard to do. ALSO consider a tile back splash adds wow factor.

Lighting hard to put a price on it w/o knowing what you need.

I don't go as far as GA but I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have, email me at jphomerepair@comcast.net for my phone number!
Posted on: 2008/2/2 13:23

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have a real problem with the above statement, there is great, good and bad in every profession.
There are great contractors out there and I am one of them.

1. If you are all over me I am more likely to make a mistake. My level of work is the same no matter who is around or watching and I never mind the customer watching. I have to know in my heart I did the best possible job. (and I do)
2. Every project that is longer than a week I have a key to their house and on the average 50% of the time I am the only one there. Stealing something never enters my mind, I work for all I have and plan to get.

I know there are bad ones out there BUT there are good ones too.

Let me add this: I am not cheap. I expect to get paid well to do what I do. But everyone that enters into a contract with me gets more than they paid for and are always estatic about the end result.

TO: red_johnny:
Budgetary costs for a kitchen:
$300 a cabinet - medium grade ($600 high end)
$80 sf for solid conter tops
$300 under mount sink
$200 faucet
$100 misc plumbing
$1500 up for appliances

Flooring, the snap together products are nice and fairly easy but nothing feels as good as a nice ceramic tile floor. Tile isn't that hard to do. ALSO consider a tile back splash adds wow factor.

Lighting hard to put a price on it w/o knowing what you need.

I don't go as far as GA but I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have, email me at jphomerepair@comcast.net for my phone number!

Hey man, don't take it the wrong way. I did say it was hard to find a good contractor, not impossible.

I do agree, there are some good ones out there, however, like you said, good ones aren't cheap.

I am sure you have seen some of the hack work out there, and I am sure you've had to correct a lot of it.

As to being "all over you" I would check your work from time to time during the day until I am convinced you are competent. It used to be I didn't have the money to pay people, then when I had the money I wasn't happy with the quality of work I'd get. That goes for almost anything. Cars, houses, boats, whatever, Seems there's just too many hacks out there.

I'd spring for better quality parts, and install them myself. Like I said, cabinets are not that hard if you take your time, measure carefully, ect...
Posted on: 2008/2/2 14:14

On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

Wow thanks for the info. I was quoted 50 a sq for the contertops and I can get the lowes special cabinets for an average of 200. I can lay tile as I already did my bathroom. The back splash we do want to do a tile setting. The lighting we are going to do 4 recessed and 2 drop lights as well as a Chandler and one other fixture light. I want to do tile in the work area of the kitchen and the snap stuff everywhere else. We already have a fairly new fridge so we are thinking about cutting costs by going with that white theme and buying a new dishwasher and stove. Otherwise I would be buying a new fridge and stove. Its alot to conceder when doing this. Is there a way to refinance the home to do this? I am already at 90% value and I know they wont refinance me with a regular mortgage.
Posted on: 2008/2/2 14:20

pianoguy RE:Home improvement (not tim alan)
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

As far as investments in your home go, kitchen remodeling is one of the best places to spend money (assuming you don't build it like the Taj Mahal).

It's unfortunate that there aren't more contractors out there like Rex_Ruby - my father-in-law was like that, too. A lot of them just don't care if every joint is perfect, or if the walls are smooth - they don't live there, and don't have to look at it every day. Craftsmanship in this country seems to have taken a real nosedive over the past several decades.
Posted on: 2008/2/2 14:25

Matatk RE:Home improvement (not tim alan)
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:
I am already at 90% value and I know they wont refinance me with a regular mortgage.

There are all kinds of mortgages out there. On my current house, my mortgage was $0 down 2 years ago and I refinanced it after one year to a loan with 90% equity. I have a small PMI, but oh well. My mortgage guy did it all, he's awesome, so you just have to find what fits. You might get a slightly higher rate if you have less equity, but it's out there. It is harder with all of the mortgage problems lately. Have you considered a home equity loan from the bank? They are usually a higher rate, but since you already have $10,000 to put in, it wouldn't hurt you too bad. And since it is a home improvement, the interest is tax deductible. Just a thought.

BTW, I just called my mortage guy last week to refinance because of the rate drop, though, and he told me that even though the fed has dropped rates 1.25 points in the last two weeks, mortgages didn't go down much! What is that? I guess it's business regulating itself without the government. Oh well. Good luck with that.

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/2/2 14:34

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:
Wow thanks for the info. I was quoted 50 a sq for the contertops and I can get the lowes special cabinets for an average of 200. I can lay tile as I already did my bathroom. The back splash we do want to do a tile setting. The lighting we are going to do 4 recessed and 2 drop lights as well as a Chandler and one other fixture light. I want to do tile in the work area of the kitchen and the snap stuff everywhere else. We already have a fairly new fridge so we are thinking about cutting costs by going with that white theme and buying a new dishwasher and stove. Otherwise I would be buying a new fridge and stove. Its alot to conceder when doing this. Is there a way to refinance the home to do this? I am already at 90% value and I know they wont refinance me with a regular mortgage.

You can get a home equity line pretty easily. They give you a checkbook and you write checks as needed. Be careful with it though.

I walked in the bank and walked out in 1/2 hour with a $250K loan one point under prime... You only pay on the amount of the checks you write.

Have you seen the cement counter tops? Yes, I said cement. They are cheap, durable, easy to fix, and look pretty good.

http://www.concreteexchange.com/?refe ... PCn59_lpZECFQdEFQodxCKOeA
http://www.concretenetwork.com/photo-gallery/sinks-and-vessels_14/

Resized Image
Resized Image
Resized Image
Resized Image

Resized Image
Posted on: 2008/2/2 15:13

On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

Hmm. Concrete might work. What would the average cost per square be?
Posted on: 2008/2/2 19:43

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:
Hmm. Concrete might work. What would the average cost per square be?

From what I understand about $75-150 SQ FT, installed, but you can do more with it. The designs can be infinite in terms of color and shape.

I haven't priced it lately, however, in 2002 when we moved into our house granite was almots $6000. That's about $150 a square foot, entry price.

So concrete is 1/2 for entry level, and top of the line stuff is same as entry level granite.

Concrete will hold up better, is easier to replace and install.

I don't know, just think it's pretty cool.
Posted on: 2008/2/2 20:49

MK 82 RE:Home improvement (not tim alan)
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
439 Posts

I am going to share with you a few of the things I have learned in 59 years of life.

Don't borrow the money. Put it aside a little at a time and soon you will have it. You will sleep better at night.

Wifey may not like it but unless your kitchen is a total disaster, she will accept it.

There are many, many good contractors. It only takes one bad one to totally ruin your day.

The only monthly payment you should ever make is your mortage. A car payment is also acceptable, but only one per family. Your second car should be paid for. Carrying a credit card balance is a bad plan.

Lessons learned the hard way.
Posted on: 2008/2/2 21:10

Senior Guru
Philly Suburbs
180 Posts

Quote:
Hey man, don't take it the wrong way. I did say it was hard to find a good contractor, not impossible.

I do agree, there are some good ones out there, however, like you said, good ones aren't cheap.

I am sure you have seen some of the hack work out there, and I am sure you've had to correct a lot of it.

As to being "all over you" I would check your work from time to time during the day until I am convinced you are competent. It used to be I didn't have the money to pay people, then when I had the money I wasn't happy with the quality of work I'd get. That goes for almost anything. Cars, houses, boats, whatever, Seems there's just too many hacks out there.

I'd spring for better quality parts, and install them myself. Like I said, cabinets are not that hard if you take your time, measure carefully, ect...

We're good!
I agree with the quality. It takes the same labor to install cheap as it does quality.
You are right in the fact that hanging cabinets isn't that hard, unless the walls are out of plumb and the corners aren't perfect! Never seen a house that perfect, the fun comes when you want to get every cabinet to line up to the next perfectly!

Quote:

Most counters under $80 are standard stock, nothing fancy or exotic. I have seen the $50 counters and although they are nothing fancy, nothing beats a solid counter top. Look real hard at those $200 cabinets before you buy to make sure you can live with the quality. Refinancing more than 90% can be done but expect to pay an extra point on the interest rate and you'd better have a 750+ score on your credit report.

Quote:
As far as investments in your home go, kitchen remodeling is one of the best places to spend money (assuming you don't build it like the Taj Mahal).

It's unfortunate that there aren't more contractors out there like Rex_Ruby - my father-in-law was like that, too. A lot of them just don't care if every joint is perfect, or if the walls are smooth - they don't live there, and don't have to look at it every day. Craftsmanship in this country seems to have taken a real nosedive over the past several decades.

Kitchens and baths are the best return on yoru remodeling dollar!

Through the course of any job it is so easy to "gloss" over some parts. And I get tempted sometimes BUT I'd never be able to sleep at night if I "glossed" over anything.

Quote:
I am going to share with you a few of the things I have learned in 59 years of life.

Don't borrow the money. Put it aside a little at a time and soon you will have it. You will sleep better at night.

Wifey may not like it but unless your kitchen is a total disaster, she will accept it.

There are many, many good contractors. It only takes one bad one to totally ruin your day.

The only monthly payment you should ever make is your mortage. A car payment is also acceptable, but only one per family. Your second car should be paid for. Carrying a credit card balance is a bad plan.

Excellent advice. I too, learned the above the hard way. Wish someone told me that at 21, only problem is then I may not have believed it
Posted on: 2008/2/2 21:30

On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

Quote:

I understand what your saying but I could get orders at any time and I dont think the house will sell as well as it could if I dont redo the kitchen. This is something I have to do to see any kind of return on the home.
Posted on: 2008/2/2 21:30

Senior Guru
Philly Suburbs
180 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

I understand what your saying but I could get orders at any time and I dont think the house will sell as well as it could if I dont redo the kitchen. This is something I have to do to see any kind of return on the home.

You'll only get back what you spend. Lower your selling price that amount and save the remodeling nightmare!
Posted on: 2008/2/2 21:35

On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You'll only get back what you spend. Lower your selling price that amount and save the remodeling nightmare!
I would much rather make money than lose money. If I redo the kitchen it will complement the bathroom I have already done and if I have time I will redo the other bathroom makeing a pretty good remodel of almost the entire house. Right now its appraised at 127K. I know I can do much better than that. I am first going to get a real estate agent to look the house over and see if it would benefit me to remodel or not. I will go from there.
Posted on: 2008/2/2 21:43

Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
439 Posts

Look at it this way. If you put 15000 in the kitchen, you will get about 10000 more at closing. If you are truly going to sell the house and will pay off the debt, then it may not be a bad plan simply because your updated kitchen will make your house stand out.

My advice was more of a general life strategy. I was a young military man with a family once myself. Take it as fatherly advice.

Good Luck. I remember what it was like to have to move every 3 to 4 years. I hope you fulfill your flying dream. You will love it!
Posted on: 2008/2/2 22:38

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

Great advice. Which I had listened when someone told me something similar.
Posted on: 2008/2/3 2:29

On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

Quote:
Look at it this way. If you put 15000 in the kitchen, you will get about 10000 more at closing. If you are truly going to sell the house and will pay off the debt, then it may not be a bad plan simply because your updated kitchen will make your house stand out.

My advice was more of a general life strategy. I was a young military man with a family once myself. Take it as fatherly advice.

Good Luck. I remember what it was like to have to move every 3 to 4 years. I hope you fulfill your flying dream. You will love it!
From everything I have seen is that a remodel will yeild 25 percent profit not a loss
Posted on: 2008/2/3 3:13

Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
439 Posts

You will almost certainly not get back what you put in. As I said, it may make your house more marketable in this down market. Unless your kitchen is a real problem. I would not do it.
Posted on: 2008/2/3 3:41

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:
!

I don't know about that....the items that typically sell a house are kitchens and bathrooms.
Posted on: 2008/2/3 14:24

DaleD RE:Home improvement (not tim alan)
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Quote:

There is another option. I haven't seen your kitchen, but it's possible to freshen a room without totally gutting it. Floor, countertop, maybe some new lighting, reface or paint the cabinets. Since you definately won't be there for the long haul, half stepping is totally acceptable.
Posted on: 2008/2/3 15:03

Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
439 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
!

I don't know about that....the items that typically sell a house are kitchens and bathrooms.

What part of what I said do you disagree with?
Posted on: 2008/2/3 16:21

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
!

What part of what I said do you disagree with?

That he won't get his money back.

If he's getting ready to move, I'd reface the cabinets and cement counters. Cheapest, best looknig way to go. Same effect, still gets money back, 1/2 the price.
Posted on: 2008/2/3 16:24

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

One sure way to make money on these improvements is to do the work yourself, if you can and if you have the time.

I was quoted $13k to put cement clapboard siding on and have it painted.
I did it myself for $4k in materials.
I was quoted $5k labor to add extra insulation,housewrap and install the windows and doors. Did it myself.

If you're going to do a kitchen makeover and sell the house, find out what kind of countertops, cabinets etc. are in the houses in your area that are for sale. If you put in Formica and the others are granite, it's not going to speed up the sale.
I'm stuck with granite, stainless steel appliances and all because every house in this area has them. And with the time on market running 180 to 200 days here, you have to be competitive.
If you don't do the remodel, you have a fixer upper and just cut your prespective buyer base by a good percentage.

From the web last week: The top 3 remodels that will return close to 100% are: cement board siding, energy efficient windows, kitchen remodel.
Posted on: 2008/2/3 16:34

Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
439 Posts

Whether or not you recoup the money spent on remodeling is dependent on many factors. What I said was not an original thought. If you put in a lot of sweat equity, your chances are better. In my area, cement is up there with granite.

http://www.simplyadditions.com/content/view/17/15/
Posted on: 2008/2/3 17:41

On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

Guys I really want to do all the work myself but its unrealistic with the military lifestyle. I will be able to gut the kitchen and do the cabinets myself but the ceiling is going to the pros as is the countertops. Flooring I can also handle. I figure I can save at least 7K in labor alone.
Posted on: 2008/2/3 17:43

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Indeed, you can save gobs of money if you can do it yourself, and stick with projects that are within your capability. A couple years ago, I put in about 600 feet of paver edging and built a decorative block retaining wall. It was about $2K in materials, but I saved a good $8K in labor. This involved research, projectile sweating and a very sore back.
Posted on: 2008/2/3 17:44

On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

Oh yeah, I will get some pics up tomorrow of what I am talking about. You will be able to see that it needs redone.
Posted on: 2008/2/3 17:44

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Reface and cheapest counter tops that aren't Formica. Whatever you get a deal on.
Posted on: 2008/2/3 18:18

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:
Whether or not you recoup the money spent on remodeling is dependent on many factors. What I said was not an original thought. If you put in a lot of sweat equity, your chances are better. In my area, cement is up there with granite.

http://www.simplyadditions.com/content/view/17/15/

No disagreement, but we haven't seen the kitchen. So right now it's all theoretic.

Nobody does a kitchen over if it doesn't need it, and typcally that can bring more.

Not enough info to say for sure. He'll be posting pictures.

If it's like this:
Resized Image

THat's one thing.
Posted on: 2008/2/3 18:23

On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

No, mines worse than that.
Posted on: 2008/2/3 18:29

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Then if your plan is to sell I stick by my last comment...reface and any counter surface but formica.
Posted on: 2008/2/3 18:30

On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

Ok, I decided to fast forward and get you all some pics to see what we are dealing with. Keep in mind that this kitchen was redone in the 70's and that I am preping for a superboal party so its messy as well as outdated. :banghead]http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h244/red_johnny/DSC00118.jpg[/img]
[web]http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h244/red_johnny/DSC00119.jpg[/web]
[web]http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h244/red_johnny/DSC00120.jpg[/web]
Posted on: 2008/2/3 18:37

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

You were right.

To me the issue seems to transcend refacing. For examples, the corners should really have lazy susans....and other things....

If this is something you want to do, I'd skip the vacation and do it yourself. Grab a handy man who can help you out. A friend, relative, ect....

If you do it in place of your vacation, you save money on the install, save money on the vacation, and still get a new kitchen....
Posted on: 2008/2/3 18:48

Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
439 Posts

Jsup wrote:

Nobody does a kitchen over if it doesn't need it, and typcally that can bring more.

You obviously never met my wife.
Posted on: 2008/2/3 18:49

Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
439 Posts

Quote:

If you do it in place of your vacation, you save money on the install, save money on the vacation, and still get a new kitchen....

You can't be married!
Posted on: 2008/2/3 18:51

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Quote:
Jsup wrote:

If I had only known, I would've blocked HGTV from our cable package
Posted on: 2008/2/3 18:54

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:
Jsup wrote:

Why? What did she tell you?
Posted on: 2008/2/3 18:54

CentralCoaster RE:Home improvement (not tim alan)
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Sounds to me like you have no business doing a kitchen remodel then.

Leave your countertops in place, refinish the cab doors, and throw in a pretty new sink, stove, and exhaust hood.

That's how you make money on real estate. Don't invent much time/money into making it your dream kitchen if you don't plan on keeping it.
Posted on: 2008/2/5 18:58

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:
Guys I really want to do all the work myself but its unrealistic with the military lifestyle. I will be able to gut the kitchen and do the cabinets myself but the ceiling is going to the pros as is the countertops. Flooring I can also handle. I figure I can save at least 7K in labor alone.

What work are you doing on the ceiling?

Are you ripping out drywall?? Recessed lights/can lights? Do you have an older home with buttonboard or some nasy shit to remove?

I did my ceiling texture and knockdown myself and am very happy with it. You can also go for a smooth finish if your drywall guy is good and sands all the joints smooth. You need fairly smooth joints anyways no matter what finish you're putting up there. I haven't tried my hand at drywall much yet, but amateur drywall installs will look like ass no matter how much time you put into the finishes.
Posted on: 2008/2/5 20:09

On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

I think the one stilt on the house is sinking or weak. So the work it needs is some leveling then since there is a crack all the way across the ceiling we have to replace the entire ceiling. I would try to fix it but its been patched way too many times. As far as just barely fixing it up thats a no go. If I am going to fix it it will be all the way. We called a agent to come look the place over and see what the real time value is and how much we could get for it if we fixed the kitchen up.
Posted on: 2008/2/5 22:10

On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

What if I could get granite counters for $29 a square installed?
Posted on: 2008/2/5 22:17

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Is the countertop damaged other than that cheap ass laminate peeling off the edges? Can't that simply be replaced, leaving the rest intact?

Another option you may consider for the countertop is granite tile. My friend did his in granite tile with very thin grout lines and it came out great. Much cheaper than solid granite.
Posted on: 2008/2/6 6:11

On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

I have to be honest. I would much rather do a solid surface countertop if I am going to leave the cabinets in place. Our rough est. for the 29 a square is about 2,400 and that includes a new sink. I got some hard decisions to make yet and I have to see if I want to move forward with this or not.
Posted on: 2008/2/6 10:30

Mr_Mojo RE:Home improvement (not tim alan)
Senior Guru
Lakewood,NJ
225 Posts

Quote:

I learned the hard way also. That's why today I only have one car payment, no mortgage and quite a sum of money put away for retirement. Am I rich? Not by a long shot, but I've gotten smarter with my money over the years and put myself on a budget that actually works. When my insurance bill comes in, I have the cash to pay it, when my Daytona and Dover tickets come in for renewal, I have the cash to pay for it. I plan on retiring in seven years, it will be at a 20% reduction in my pension, but I won't need the extra money that over a lifetime will only add up to $40,000.
Posted on: 2008/2/6 12:31

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:
Is the countertop damaged other than that cheap ass laminate peeling off the edges? Can't that simply be replaced, leaving the rest intact?

Another option you may consider for the countertop is granite tile. My friend did his in granite tile with very thin grout lines and it came out great. Much cheaper than solid granite.

Yep, granite tiles, that's where I'm going. The good ones butt together and have very small grout lines. The tiles are 1 1/2 thick with bullnose edges and inside corners available. They can be cut with a tile saw.

Roughly $24 a sq.ft. at www.bedrockcreations.com, but these have the edges that are separate from the field tile (12 x 12).

www.benissimosystems.com, has the full tiles with the edges on them for a more professional look. I haven't priced these yet.
Posted on: 2008/2/6 16:27

(1) 2 »
You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.