Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
313 user(s) are online (254 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  A-Molds
These are a more traditional 5-spoke rim (than the Saw Blades).

Used on later ZR1s, the 1996 GrandSport and Collectors Edition....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
(1) 2 »
Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users
 Register To Post

jsup Is this the point where....................
Elite Guru
1778 Posts

you start asking yourself WTF!! WAS I THINKING....

Other than the injectors being too small, there was no problem with my motor. Other than my boredom, there was nothing wrong with my original motor. The car has 32K miles.....

So I start the car and there's a loud clacking. I have never heard this before and all kinds of bad things are going through my mind.....

Did I drop a nut down one of the intakes and don't konw it? did I leave a tool in the engine bay? I have no fkn idea what the noise is, and with my frustration this afternoon I put the tools down and walked away......sometimes I find myself just too dam close to a situation..

I have to get another set of experienced eyes on this dam thing.

Sigh.....
Posted on: 2008/3/30 21:20

bogus Re: Is this the point where....................
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

sounds like you have a loose rocker.
Posted on: 2008/3/30 21:21

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Livin_the_dream Re: Is this the point where....................
Senior Guru
robesonia , pa
516 Posts

I know your frustration when murphy works for me he gives me 120%. Hopefully it will be something minor Good luck. I've been following your progress on the car and hope to do something similar myself.
Posted on: 2008/3/30 21:26

jsup Re: Is this the point where....................
Elite Guru
1778 Posts

That's what I thought, so I pulled the VC.

I don't see anything, but I can't be in two places at once.

It wasn't lose when I pulled the car into the garage, and I haven't run it since, how would this happen?

What would a screw or nut down the intake sound like? I had the hood up, with the intake off (top of the SR, and I am panicking that one of the kids threw something down there.

NOw, that would be COMPLETELY out of character for them...however, they are kids.

What would it sound like if this happened.

I started it twice, for a total of 10 seconds.
Posted on: 2008/3/30 21:28

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

Livin_the_dream wrote:
I know your frustration when murphy works for me he gives me 120%. Hopefully it will be something minor Good luck. I've been following your progress on the car and hope to do something similar myself.

Thanks, I hope it's a lose wrench caught up in somehting, I'm just too frustrated right now.

I'm hoping ByeByel98 chimes in.....I can use his eyes and ears. I don't want to let the car run to figure it out.

I'm going to go down and look around the hood when I'm done whining.
Posted on: 2008/3/30 21:31

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

A loose exhaust will do it, too.

Whenever working a motor, like you have, the bolts will work loose. It's nature. You think they are tight, and a little vibration and heat will surprise the hell outta ya.

Looking at a rocker won't prove jack. You need to feel each one. Make sure one isn't overly loose. Now, this gets tricky without cranking it over, to be sure you are on the right part of the cam lobe.

I would lay a rag over the rockers and fire up the engine. gently grabbing each rocker (at idle, this isn't as scary as it sounds).

Let us know what byebye says, if he gets a chance to check it out.
Posted on: 2008/3/30 21:36

Senior Guru
robesonia , pa
516 Posts

Quote:

jsup wrote:

It wasn't lose when I pulled the car into the garage, and I haven't run it since, how would this happen?

What would a screw or nut down the intake sound like? I had the hood up, with the intake off (top of the SR, and I am panicking that one of the kids threw something down there.

NOw, that would be COMPLETELY out of character for them...however, they are kids.

IF something got through the intake and into the cylinder it could make a noise such as you are describing. You could pull your plugs and rotate the motor by hand to bring all the cylinders up one at a time and shine a light in and try to see anything.
I personally had a 4 cylinder do this after I had a head job done. Was part of a failed guide. I had to rebuild the motor as it scored the cylinder wall and was imbedded in the piston.

However before you jump the gun and rip off the heads. Check everthing else out first- a LOT of possibilitys
Posted on: 2008/3/30 21:41

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
A loose exhaust will do it, too.

Whenever working a motor, like you have, the bolts will work loose. It's nature. You think they are tight, and a little vibration and heat will surprise the hell outta ya.

Looking at a rocker won't prove jack. You need to feel each one. Make sure one isn't overly loose. Now, this gets tricky without cranking it over, to be sure you are on the right part of the cam lobe.

I would lay a rag over the rockers and fire up the engine. gently grabbing each rocker (at idle, this isn't as scary as it sounds).

Let us know what byebye says, if he gets a chance to check it out.

This is loud Andy, much louder than I would suspect a rocker to me. I am really hoping in my haste I just left something under the hood.

I'm going down to cook dinner soon, (grilling steaks) I'll stop by the car and look.
Posted on: 2008/3/30 21:42

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

Livin_the_dream wrote:
Quote:

jsup wrote:

IF something got through the intake and into the cylinder it could make a noise such as you are describing. You could pull your plugs and rotate the motor by hand to bring all the cylinders up one at a time and shine a light in and try to see anything.
I personally had a 4 cylinder do this after I had a head job done. Was part of a failed guide. I had to rebuild the motor as it scored the cylinder wall and was imbedded in the piston.

However before you jump the gun and rip off the heads. Check everthing else out first- a LOT of possibilitys

I'm going to try to get more eyes/ears on this thing....I have to go look it over.

For some reason I am looking for the worst.
Posted on: 2008/3/30 21:47

Senior Guru
robesonia , pa
516 Posts

I'm hoping you have good luck and its something simple . However I know that pit in your stomach feeling. Good luck
Hey I just read your other post and noticed that you said that you lost one of the screws that hold your distrubitor cap on - did you put a screw in there? If not I would check it out
Posted on: 2008/3/30 21:51

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

Livin_the_dream wrote:
I'm hoping you have good luck and its something simple . However I know that pit in your stomach feeling. Good luck
Hey I just read your other post and noticed that you said that you lost one of the screws that hold your distrubitor cap on - did you put a screw in there? If not I would check it out

I just went to AZ and picked up a new cap, it came with screws.

The cap was nowhere near the intake, at least as far as I can remember.

I had my wife start the car and I listened. Seems to be dead center under the super ram.

I'll just pull the plenum (dam I'm getting tood at htis.

When installing the plenum, I dropped a number of the KEP NUTS out of sight. There's no way they can get in anywhere, but maybe they are trapped somewhere that transfers knocking from one place to another.
Posted on: 2008/3/30 22:06

pianoguy Re: Is this the point where....................
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Good luck, man - hope it's nothing serious!
Posted on: 2008/3/30 22:26

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Midnight85 Re: Is this the point where....................
Guru
Streator, IL.
264 Posts

Am I correct in assuming that you dropped some nuts down inside the engine and didn't retrieve them? I hope this is not the case. Is your car an automatic? If it is, did you tighten the torque converter bolts? I wish you good luck on this.
Posted on: 2008/3/30 23:09

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

Midnight85 wrote:
Am I correct in assuming that you dropped some nuts down inside the engine and didn't retrieve them? I hope this is not the case. Is your car an automatic? If it is, did you tighten the torque converter bolts? I wish you good luck on this.

I did not drop any nuts into the motor. I studded the super ram, when putting on the Kep Nuts some fell out of reach of my stubby fingers and my magnet on a stick. However, there's no where for them to go. They'd just lay out of site. There's no way they got into the motor. It's physically impossible.

I didn't touch the converter, yet.
Posted on: 2008/3/30 23:13

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

I'm sitting here trying to figure out WTF I did.

If anyone is in Northern NJ/NY and can listen to this. I'm sitting here saying "rod knock" and I'm screwed.....

I have no idea what this can be. There was no noise when I pulled it into the garage a couple weeks ago. How the hell can a rod knock develop, if that is what it is, from a car that didn't have one before and just sat?

I am kicking my own ass all over the place on this..
Posted on: 2008/3/31 2:28

Chucks88 Re: Is this the point where....................
Guru Newb
Connectivette
12 Posts

Have you tried pulling all the plugs then turning the motor over by hand via the 5/8 nut on your crank pulley. It may reveal a binding or some noise that way
Posted on: 2008/3/31 2:57

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

Chucks88 wrote:
Have you tried pulling all the plugs then turning the motor over by hand via the 5/8 nut on your crank pulley. It may reveal a binding or some noise that way

Not since I parked it. I will do that.
Posted on: 2008/3/31 3:02

PeteK Re: Is this the point where....................
Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Hook up a timing light to any cylinder and start the engine. If the knock is in sync with the timing light, it may be a rod knock. If so, short out 1 wire at a time. When you find the one that quiets up the motor, that is the cylinder with the problem.
Posted on: 2008/3/31 3:24

toptechx6 Re: Is this the point where....................
Senior Guru
south Florida
362 Posts

My vote is for something ingested through the intake, or dropped through an injector port. A flexible borescope would be the easiest way to tell without engine disassembly, best of luck.
Posted on: 2008/3/31 10:01

LD85 Re: Is this the point where....................
Master Guru
Indianapolis, Indiana
784 Posts

More guesses..

Is it possible that you did not get a Push Rod centered on top of a lifter? I have done this but never started it up like that.

Another guess is that you might have set a valve lash on a rocker out of sequence and not on TDC and it could be flopping....

You could be smacking a push rod on your oil pan screen or drip tray, but this would go away little by little.

One time I put my Bellhousing cover plate onto the BH and it was hitting the crank and it would make a noise every revolution,,
Posted on: 2008/3/31 19:17

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

check the collectors... I had that happen with my wifes 87 when I first fired it up. The exhause collector was just a little loose and MAN it made a racket!!!!
Posted on: 2008/3/31 19:45

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
check the collectors... I had that happen with my wifes 87 when I first fired it up. The exhause collector was just a little loose and MAN it made a racket!!!!

Will do. Thanks. Sounds like gunfire with every revolution.

The good news is that it's not mecahnical. I've narrowed it down that far.
Posted on: 2008/3/31 20:30

Senior Guru
robesonia , pa
516 Posts

Quote:

jsup wrote:
[Will do. Thanks. Sounds like gunfire with every revolution.

You changed the dist cap are you positive all the wiring ,timing etc. is proper? Your discription reminds me of exhaust firing
Posted on: 2008/3/31 21:48

jhammons01 Re: Is this the point where....................
Senior Guru
1044 Posts

Quote:

Livin_the_dream wrote:
Quote:

jsup wrote:
[Will do. Thanks. Sounds like gunfire with every revolution.

You changed the dist cap are you positive all the wiring ,timing etc. is proper? Your discription reminds me of exhaust firing

There ya' go. this is the most logical explanation.
Posted on: 2008/3/31 22:47

Senior Guru
south Florida
362 Posts

Quote:

jsup wrote:
Quote:

bogus wrote:

The good news is that it's not mecahnical. I've narrowed it
down that far.

Man that is good news, sure glad you dodged that bullet, best of luck sorting it out, hope it is good for a laugh once you figure it out.
Posted on: 2008/3/31 23:05

CentralCoaster Re: Is this the point where....................
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Can you do a vid of you walking around the car with it happenning of it and post it for us? You can use putfile or other sites for free.

The only thing I could compare with is when I had a bellhousing inspection cover hitting against the flexplate/flywheel it sounded plain nasty, scared the crap out of me but I narrowed it down before getting angry and tearing the trans back out, turned out to be a 10 minute fix.

Nothing worse than tearing back into it and still not finding the problem, or finding out it's something stupid.
Posted on: 2008/3/31 23:59

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

I'm going to fire it up this monrning. I checked the firing order and placement of the wires on the cap.

I found one that wasn't engaged on the cap, which has happened before, but it never sounded like gunfire last time...

I'll see tomorrow.
Posted on: 2008/4/1 3:32

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Here' what I'm thinking after making calls and gathering information.

I believe the tune may be out.....or the injectors too big..STFU....

What may be happening is the injectors are feeding too much gas in open loop and washing the oil off the cyl walls and I'm getting noise from the pistons as a result. That would explain it....seems most reasonable.

I am getting a set of injectors to try. I have a call into PCM For less to discuss the Tune. What a PIA...
Posted on: 2008/4/1 18:55

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

do you know how much fuel you would need to do that? Did someone replace your injectors with fire hose nozzles?
Posted on: 2008/4/2 1:42

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Here's the vid:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=r1TrI7R5nKI

That's not the rockers, that's the noise.
Posted on: 2008/4/3 0:35

kentucky_vetter Re: Is this the point where....................
Senior Guru
somerset, ky
154 Posts

Ive heard that before or a very familiar sound. Had the electrode fall out of the end of a spark plug in a 396 chevelle, I swear it sounded just like that. Hope ya find it soon.
Posted on: 2008/4/3 2:48

Guru
Streator, IL.
264 Posts

Were the injectors in place when you dropped those nuts? Or, did you change the injectors after you had lost those nuts. Were the nuts small enough to go down an injector hole?
Posted on: 2008/4/3 3:27

Senior Guru
robesonia , pa
516 Posts

I think I would try the pulling plug wires and see if the noise goes quiet like Pete K said. How long did you run the motor prior to this? In the video I would have expected to see some oil slinging around.Looks pretty dry up top , I know you did not start it for long .However since you had been running it there should be some oil up there.
Posted on: 2008/4/3 3:44

CentralCoaster Re: Is this the point where....................
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Noise is too fast to be valvetrain or cam...
Posted on: 2008/4/3 5:38

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

damn... that's a wacky sound.

It's fast... I donno if it's valve train or not. I mean, it could be a single valve.

This is gonna be a bitch to sort out. I would start with the plugs, then pulling them out and checking to see if something falls out.
Posted on: 2008/4/3 6:04

Senior Guru
south Florida
362 Posts

Quote:

jsup wrote:
Quote:

bogus wrote:

???????

Exactly how did you arrive at this conclusion?
Posted on: 2008/4/3 8:30

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

Midnight85 wrote:
Were the injectors in place when you dropped those nuts? Or, did you change the injectors after you had lost those nuts. Were the nuts small enough to go down an injector hole?

I don't know if I did drop something down there, I'm guessing.
Posted on: 2008/4/3 11:26

SpeedHound Re: Is this the point where....................
Registered Vendor
Social Circle, GA
119 Posts

multiple bad lifters? Have you checked valve lash after putting each pair of lifters on the base circle of the cam?
Posted on: 2008/4/3 12:00

www.speedhound.com

LSx swap parts - performance - repairs - restoration

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Yes, the valves are adjusted OK.

The lifters are brand new, they are comp cams pro mags, hard to believe that there would be multiple bad ones, but hell, I'm open to anything.
Posted on: 2008/4/3 12:17

Guru
Streator, IL.
264 Posts

The more I listen to the clip, it almost sounds like a spark plug that is broke or loose letting compression out. The combination of compression and ignition will make a heck of a noise. I remember once I was doing something and left a plug out and fired the engine up, scared the hell right out of me with the racket it caused.
Posted on: 2008/4/3 13:01

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

jsup wrote:
Yes, the valves are adjusted OK.

The lifters are brand new, they are comp cams pro mags, hard to believe that there would be multiple bad ones, but hell, I'm open to anything.

I meant the lifters are GM Performance LS7 lifters. Not Comp. My mistake.
Posted on: 2008/4/4 2:05

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

What do you guys think about this?

I am using 20/50 oil. The car sat all winter and never made this noise before. Perhaps the oil is too thick.

I'm using heavy oil becuase I only run the car in warm weather, 70 degrees and up.

The oil pressure guage is coming right up. No problem there.

The filter is brand, spankin new, and yes I filled it before I put it on. It's a Mobil 1 filter. I'm leaving it on and not draining it.

I think I'm going to drain the 20 50, I have 2 quarts of MMO, I'll throw one in and replace the 20-50 with 10-30.

It's a dam shame, that mobil 1 crap was $7 a quart.

Here's something.

I drove to the exhaust shop, about 20 miles round trip, pulled in the garage, drained the oil, let the pan drip over night. That was the first oil change after the build, I had 10-30 dyno oil

The next day, I filled it with the 20-50. Left it like that for 2 weeks while I swapped the injectors.

Then I started it and it made that noise.

Anything there that I did wrong?
Posted on: 2008/4/4 2:06

CasetheCorvetteman Re: Is this the point where....................
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Why 20w50 in a car that asks for 5w30?
Posted on: 2008/4/4 8:04

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

CasetheCorvetteman wrote:
Why 20w50 in a car that asks for 5w30?

I only drive it in warm weather.
Posted on: 2008/4/4 12:15

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

You call 70*F warm weather? Mate id be freezing my tits off!!
Posted on: 2008/4/4 13:35

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Today's update....

Seems the first issue is that I'm getting oil up to the valves. I let the motor run for 30 consecutive sentence on a stopwatch and nothing.

The mechanic that works on my DD only lives two blocks away, he builds motors for his cars, some get restored, some go to the track, so he is familiar with performance applications.

He came over and pointed out that no oil was getting up top. He recommended changing the oil filter, maybe I got a bad one. Which I did, I filled it with oil, MMO, and put on the new filter. $4 out the window, but wtf.......

Anyway, new filter, same thing.

I took the distributor out today and will try to pump up the lifters and get oil flowing with the primer tool, which I have to order since I can't get it locally.

I am traveling for the next couple days to the other coast, so perhaps when I get home the tool will be here.

Based on the results of the that test, will determine where I go next.

If I'm not seeing oil flowing, nothing else really matters.

I am showing between 60-80 pounds oil pressure when it fires and runs.
Posted on: 2008/4/5 22:31

Senior Guru
robesonia , pa
516 Posts

you may have to pull your pan if something is clogging or broken but I guess thats better than doing the heads
Posted on: 2008/4/5 22:39

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Youre using THE WRONG OIL for a start.

Why you would think 20w50 should be going in an engine that has a factory spec for 5w30 is something im having alot of trouble understanding. The comment about the warm weather driving is lunacy if you call 70*F warm, im still using 5w30 and i just went through 2 months of 100*F plus.

20w50 is TOO THICK and that is why its not getting to the top. Youre saying youre using LS7 lifters if i remember correctly, and as far as i know, the LS7 specifies 5w30 as well. I know for a fact its not calling for 20w50.

The oil reaches the top through the lifters, then up the pushrods, and into the rockers. I think its a pretty big ask to make 20w50 flow through a system that was designed around 5w30.

The fact you have such a high oil pressure when the engine starts is indication enough to me that the oil is too thick for the job. The gauge on the dash only goes to 80psi!!
Posted on: 2008/4/6 1:33

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

I drain the pan when I get back and throw in some 10-30.
Posted on: 2008/4/6 1:55

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Good idea mate, and remember, until its 100*F outside, its not warm weather.
Posted on: 2008/4/6 2:06

(1) 2 »
You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.