Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
307 user(s) are online (250 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  National Corvette Museum
The mission of the National Corvette Museum is to celebrate the Corvette's invention, and preserve the legendary automobile's past, present, and futu...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Danspeed1 My LT4 Experience
Elite Guru
Mooresville, North Carolina
1121 Posts

Hello guys,... haven't been around in a while... Just getting over being sick and the warm weather is here in NY! Got a "short story" about my LT4 Experience this weekend.

We have a 1989 Corvette with a black tag ZF6, that is black on black, that my girlfriend and I both love. Recently I got sick and wound up in the hospital for a week. While I was in the hospital I watched Motor Vehicle Accident after Motor Vehicle Accident come through the doors. It dawned on me that people REALLY suck at driving! My girlfriend is the Vette's primary driver. So when I got out I tossed over the idea of putting her into something a little safer. But she wouldn't have it unless it was another corvette. C5's are way out of our range right now so I started looking at late model C4's.

Found a 1996 for $8500. Black with saddle int, with a Blue Tag ZF6, and not an LT1, but the infamous LT4. Immediately thought this was it. It was in the price range, and it was an LT4, how could you beat that.

Brought my girlfriend over to look at the car. I must say it was in beautiful shape. The paint was almost perfect, and the interior was mint.

Now for a ride.... we took it out, and I must say, I had always thought that the LT4 was the be all and end all for NON ZR1 C4's. But on the test drive, we both found the car to be a major disappointment next to our C4.

First off, the suspension was really sloppy... so was the steering. It rode more like my 96 Impala then a corvette; which is fine for my 96 Impala but not OK for a Corvette. I also found the 330HP LT4 to be severly under powered. It barley pulled for a dead stop and even up top at around 100MPH it just didn't move like my L98. It also rattled like a taxi cab, and just generally was not fun to drive.

So for now, we both agreed to be careful with the 89 and it looks like we are going to keep it. I did not write this with the intention of putting anyone down. The cars are both different and may be setup to do different things. But for those who have had both early model C4's and late ones, which do you prefer and why? Maybe this partiular car was a dog underneath the sparkling paint.

What do you think?

Dan
Posted on: 2008/4/20 23:53
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

DaleD Re: My LT4 Experience
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

I haven't driven an LT4, but I have driven an LT1 and own an L98. My gut reaction is you drove an $8500 LT4. That is to say, a car that was dogged. If you drove a $12k LT4, I think your opinion would change.
Posted on: 2008/4/21 0:02

pianoguy Re: My LT4 Experience
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Quote:

DaleD wrote:
I haven't driven an LT4, but I have driven an LT1 and own an L98. My gut reaction is you drove an $8500 LT4. That is to say, a car that was dogged. If you drove a $12k LT4, I think your opinion would change.

I agree wholeheartedly - my LT4 pulls like a freight train. I can't imagine needing anything with more power - I could get in plenty of trouble with this car.
Posted on: 2008/4/21 0:09

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

LT4BUD Re: My LT4 Experience
Guru
52 Posts

Quote:

Danspeed1 wrote:

Found a 1996 for $8500$8500$8500$8500. Black with saddle int, with a Blue Tag ZF6, and not an LT1, but the infamous LT4. Immediately thought this was it. It was in the price range, and it was an LT4, how could you beat that.

First off, the suspension was really sloppy... so was the steering. It rode more like my 96 Impala then a corvette; which is fine for my 96 Impala but not OK for a Corvette. I also found the 330HP LT4 to be severly under powered. It barley pulled for a dead stop and even up top at around 100MPH it just didn't move like my L98. It also rattled like a taxi cab, and just generally was not fun to drive.
What do you think?

Dan

I think you found a 96 that is a POS and not worth even $8500!!!

Suspension, steering etc. are not associated with LT4...same as an LT1

BTW I owned a new 1989 L98 and replaced it with a new 1996 LT4......both nice cars, but the LT4 is both faster and more economical...don't bash the LT4 because you test drove a beater
Posted on: 2008/4/21 1:36

RollaMo-LT4 Re: My LT4 Experience
Trivia Winner
Rolla, Missouri
422 Posts

I have to agree the other two also.
You get what you pay for, and $8,500 for an LT4 is really cheap. There had to be issues with that car, even if you say it looked "mint".

An LT4 will pull to redline very strong. Noting like what you described.
Posted on: 2008/4/21 1:42

bogus Re: My LT4 Experience
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I would bet that the opti was going south. I drove one and it was the same way. Soft as hell under power. But I suspect, as I did with a Goldstrand modified LT1 I drove, that DID have a bad opti (code H16) and that thing was not that strong.

You see, once the opti goes south, the computer starts retarding the timing. Retard the timing, and lose 20+ hp.

I would bet that a tune up and a new opti would fix that LT4 real quick.
Posted on: 2008/4/21 1:52

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Danspeed1 Re: My LT4 Experience
Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Quote:

LT4BUD wrote:
[quote]
don't bash the LT4 because you test drove a beater

I specifically said in my post that the intended purpose wa not to bash the LT4. Most LT4's are going to be out of my price range, but if another local dealer does pop up with one, I will take it out for a ride and see if there is a difference. I figured the car was a real dog because of the price, but it was so clean inside and out, didn't make much sense.

For those of you looking for one, it is going on ebay in a couple of days,.... is black, from new york... 82K, STEER CLEAR OF IT.

Dan
Posted on: 2008/4/21 16:03
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

pianoguy Re: My LT4 Experience
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

If it really is that clean, and you could confirm somehow that all it really needs is an opti, then it would be an absolute steal.
Posted on: 2008/4/21 16:37

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Mekanic Re: My LT4 Experience
Registered Vendor
Tampa Bay Florida
827 Posts

My LT4 pulls VERY hard, nothing like you described.

I paid $7300 :D
Posted on: 2008/4/21 18:46

Yea tho I walk through the valley in the shadow of rice, I shall fear no turbo, for torque art with me.

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

At 82k there is a real chance the opti is failing.

My observation about Corvette owners is that too many defer maintenance and keep them shiney...
Posted on: 2008/4/21 19:55

FLYINLOW90 Re: My LT4 Experience
Senior Guru
Windsor Ontario Canada
514 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
My observation about Corvette owners is that too many defer maintenance and keep them shiney...

I know you didn't aim this at me Andy but that statement is certainly not me. Keeping the Vette maintained is a top priority to me to keep it dependable. Ya don't look very cool settin' on the side of the road with the clam shell up!!

To the OP...Maybe with Andy's advise that Vette may be worth looking at again

Gary
Posted on: 2008/4/22 11:38

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

I really can't understand how a car that looks so prestine could have so much wrong with it. I have pictures of the car that I had sent to my girlfriend the day before she took a ride out to look at it. I can post them. The car has 82K and exterior and interior are like brand new. Clean Car fax, even the engine is clean.

What we noticed, which really urked my girlfreind was that the oil was black and gritty. The suspension and steering were so soft and sloppy that it felt like a NYC Taxi cab with 250K on it. Our 89 C4 needs a suspension upgrade (Stay tuned, those questions coming shortly), but it still handled and felt 100X better then this LT4. The LT4 felt like it had really bad body roll. The car was severly underpowered, and it felt like it was missing up above 4000 RPMs. The A/C didn't work, the clutch chattered. There is a list of things that we did not like about the car.

Alot of you guys said it was because I drove an $8500 LT4, but the price shouldn't matter. Let me post some pics later, so you can get an idea of what I was looking at. Why would someone keep a car so clean, yet beat it into the ground; and do so in only 82K????

I really would have liked to buy this car, but i feel like the devil I know is better then the devil i don't. I really don't want to have to replace a complete suspension, Opti, Clutch, A/C, and what ever else, on a car that I paid more for. I outright own my C4 and I know what it needs.

DG
Posted on: 2008/4/23 17:20
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Mekanic Re: My LT4 Experience
Registered Vendor
Tampa Bay Florida
827 Posts

A while ago I bought an 88 Celica GT-S Notch,with 75k, very rare car.

Fantastic shape, every option, climate control, sunroof, power everything, including power seat bolsters, just pristine condition.

13 hours after I bought it it blew up sitting in traffic. I brought it back, mechanic said it sounded like a CV joint, I agreed.... but the car was in neutral. Engine was completely destroyed.

If you were closer I'd be happy to let you drive my Lt4
Posted on: 2008/4/23 17:58

Yea tho I walk through the valley in the shadow of rice, I shall fear no turbo, for torque art with me.

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Quote:

Mekanic wrote:
A while ago I bought an 88 Celica GT-S Notch,with 75k, very rare car.

Fantastic shape, every option, climate control, sunroof, power everything, including power seat bolsters, just pristine condition.

13 hours after I bought it it blew up sitting in traffic. I brought it back, mechanic said it sounded like a CV joint, I agreed.... but the car was in neutral. Engine was completely destroyed.

If you were closer I'd be happy to let you drive my Lt4

I appreciate that. For right now we will keep on driving the L98 which we both seem to agree we love. If something comes up in the future I will saddle back up. It would be nice to get her in something a little more updated but both of us agreed we have no complaints about our current C4.

If I do catch up with any of you LT4/ZR1 guys, I would love to take a ride with ya in the future.

DG
Posted on: 2008/4/23 18:26
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

FLYINLOW90 wrote:
Quote:

bogus wrote:

I know you didn't aim this at me Andy but that statement is certainly not me. Keeping the Vette maintained is a top priority to me to keep it dependable. Ya don't look very cool settin' on the side of the road with the clam shell up!!

To the OP...Maybe with Andy's advise that Vette may be worth looking at again

Gary

Not directed at anyone here. The folks here are, for the most part, concerned about mechanical condition first.
Posted on: 2008/4/23 18:49

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

Danspeed1 wrote:
I really can't understand how a car that looks so prestine could have so much wrong with it. I have pictures of the car that I had sent to my girlfriend the day before she took a ride out to look at it. I can post them. The car has 82K and exterior and interior are like brand new. Clean Car fax, even the engine is clean.

What we noticed, which really urked my girlfreind was that the oil was black and gritty. The suspension and steering were so soft and sloppy that it felt like a NYC Taxi cab with 250K on it. Our 89 C4 needs a suspension upgrade (Stay tuned, those questions coming shortly), but it still handled and felt 100X better then this LT4. The LT4 felt like it had really bad body roll. The car was severly underpowered, and it felt like it was missing up above 4000 RPMs. The A/C didn't work, the clutch chattered. There is a list of things that we did not like about the car.

Alot of you guys said it was because I drove an $8500 LT4, but the price shouldn't matter. Let me post some pics later, so you can get an idea of what I was looking at. Why would someone keep a car so clean, yet beat it into the ground; and do so in only 82K????

I really would have liked to buy this car, but i feel like the devil I know is better then the devil i don't. I really don't want to have to replace a complete suspension, Opti, Clutch, A/C, and what ever else, on a car that I paid more for. I outright own my C4 and I know what it needs.

DG

I reiterate - the car has never been wrenched on.

Go back, offer $7k and put the difference into the deferred maintenance.

The 4000 RPM miss? Opti or a poor tune... even a bad fuel filter will cause a high rpm miss.

The AC? A recharge, more than likely.
Posted on: 2008/4/23 18:50

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Ok Andy, Heres the Pics. I don't even know if the car is around anymore, I'd have to give a call. These were taken in 10 seconds flat, I didn't want anyone to see me doing it so don't mind the poor photo quality.

DG

[IMG]http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r97/BG528/HPIM0273.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r97/BG528/HPIM0274.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r97/BG528/HPIM0275.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r97/BG528/HPIM0276.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r97/BG528/HPIM0277.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r97/BG528/HPIM0278.jpg[/IMG]
Posted on: 2008/4/24 4:40
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

If you'll notice the guy with ASS written on his shirt... he was sure an Ass. This guy comes into the parking lot as I am looking at the car and tries to buy it out from under me. Which is why I feel the car is probably no longer available, unless he got scared off too.

DG
Posted on: 2008/4/24 4:42
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Calm Re: My LT4 Experience
Senior Guru
Vancouver, Canada
608 Posts

If that guy DID buy it....he got one hell of a deal.

Considering everything you've said about the car.....It's worth AT LEAST 12k.
Posted on: 2008/4/24 5:32

cuisinartvette Re: My LT4 Experience
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

you might just be used to a little peakier torque band where the L98 "feels" faster. IMO the LTx motor's pwerband are flat as a pancake. Got the same reaction driving LT1 and LT4s, they felt strong but not...fast. Put the two side by side and you know what happens.

If the car is loose as a goose pass...Dont be swayed by shiny paint and an engine badge. If its beat, its beat and you know what that will get you.

Later C4s do ride a softer than the 89s fwiw. Noticed that with my 90 also, it was missing a little of that rough and tough go cart feel.

Even though the car was cheap Id say keep the 89 and look for a better maintained car.
Posted on: 2008/4/24 6:29

Click here if your browser does not automatically redirect you.

tobijohn Re: My LT4 Experience
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
515 Posts

Quote:

cuisinartvette wrote:
you might just be used to a little peakier torque band where the L98 "feels" faster. IMO the LTx motor's pwerband are flat as a pancake. Got the same reaction driving LT1 and LT4s, they felt strong but not...fast. Put the two side by side and you know what happens...

I was thinking about this too after I read the opening post. It had been a number of years between my 88 A4 and 96 A4 but I remember thinking the 96 didn't "feel" as fast as the 88 even though I knew it was faster. It wasn't until I got the LT4 that I realized I was used to getting that push back into the seat at a much lower RPM level (and with a lot more pedal) with the L98. In fact, with the LT4, I don't really feel that acceleration until I'm in the 3500-4000rpm range and by then, in a 45mph zone, there's no point in even using third gear as I'm already past 50, so I just go second to fourth. I've also realized I'm not giving the car all the gas it normally wants. Still unlearning my L98 experience, I guess...
Posted on: 2008/5/6 0:08

AIRFOIL FREE!

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

I haven't found anything locally to take out for a ride, but my first impression was that it wasn't worth the extra $$. I rather just modd the L98 or convert to an LS1.

Speaking of LS1's I can't say i haven't thought about crossing over to the dark side (C5's).
DG
Posted on: 2008/5/6 1:49
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Guru
52 Posts

Quote:

tobijohn wrote:
In fact, with the LT4, I don't really feel that acceleration until I'm in the 3500-4000rpm range and by then, in a 45mph zone, there's no point in even using third gear as I'm already past 50, .

4.10 gears will really wake up your low speed performance, especially in 1st gear
Posted on: 2008/5/13 1:11

Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
515 Posts

Quote:

LT4BUD wrote:

4.10 gears will really wake up your low speed performance, especially in 1st gear

I know, I've thought about it. I'm just so used to 1700rpms at 70mph. Hey, I've still got a Hot Cam to install. It was supposed to go into the LT1 along with your old LT4 1.6 RRs that I bought from you years ago...
Posted on: 2008/5/13 1:20

Guru
52 Posts

Quote:

tobijohn wrote:
Quote:

LT4BUD wrote:

I know, I've thought about it. I'm just so used to 1700rpms at 70mph. Hey, I've still got a Hot Cam to install. It was supposed to go into the LT1 along with your old LT4 1.6 RRs that I bought from you years ago...

You will hardly notice going just under 2000 rpm vs 1700 rpm at 70 mph. I lost less than 2 mpg cruising with the 4.10's.
Posted on: 2008/5/13 12:00

CasetheCorvetteman Re: My LT4 Experience
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Yes, people seem to forget that as revs come down for a given speed, up goes load, less vac, and less economy. Lower RPM doesnt mean better efficiency.
Posted on: 2008/5/13 12:46

Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
515 Posts

Quote:

CasetheCorvetteman wrote:
Yes, people seem to forget that as revs come down for a given speed, up goes load, less vac, and less economy. Lower RPM doesnt mean better efficiency.

OK, I'm sold. I'll add 4.10s to the to-do list....
Posted on: 2008/5/13 21:38

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.