Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
199 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  TH700R4 / 4L60
Automatic Transmission - 4 Speed

1st Gear: 3.06
2nd Gear: 1.62
3rd Gear: 1.00
4th Gear: 0.70

Reverse: 2.29

- Used in production GM model...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

95Vert I don't think I want to go down this road...
Senior Guru
Aiken, SC
440 Posts

95 convertible...65,000 original.

Once in a while I'm getting a whiff of coolant. On the way home from buying the car, the gauge moved pretty high, last line before the hot when I was sitting in traffic. Temperature in FL was pretty hot and humid that day and I had the AC going.

In looking at it this afternoon there is a small amount of liquid sitting in an area of the crossmember directly in front of all the pulleys. You can just see it down there. Not a real strong smell of coolant and I certainly don't see any puddled on the ground.

The pump, if that is what I was looking at was a real clean, bright metal, not rusted, unless its an aluminum housing.

I really don't want to know this, but have to know if my waterpump is on its way out. If these are some of the symptoms. I don't want to lose the optispark if I can avoid it.

Never a dull moment!
Posted on: 2008/6/18 23:39
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

CSS996 Re: I don't think I want to go down this road...
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Ruh Row...

Start saving the pennies.

Couldn't be as simple as a loose clamp, could it?
Posted on: 2008/6/18 23:43

kelley Re: I don't think I want to go down this road...
Guru Newb
thomasville ga
122 Posts

check the weep hole on the bottom of the water pump,,if it is stained or damp ,,save your pennies,
Posted on: 2008/6/19 0:24

Qack Re: I don't think I want to go down this road...
Senior Guru
Raleigh, NC
274 Posts

Funny, I'm in the middle of this right now --'94 convertible. Had a coolant smell for about two weeks -- couldn't find it. Then the nice shiny aluminum coolant pump went. Since I'm in there, I'm putting in a new pump, new Optispark, new plugs, new wires, new idler pulley, new tensioner pulley, new oil seals for the crank, optispark and water pump ... did I mention a new belt? Oh, and all new hoses? I'm sure there's something I forgot to mention.

I figured once I was in there, I only wanted to be in there once in the foreseeable future. The only problem I had was getting the G__ D____ harmonic balancer off. I'm still awaiting a few parts then she's back together.

Good Luck.
Posted on: 2008/6/19 0:57

jhammons01 Re: I don't think I want to go down this road...
Senior Guru
1044 Posts

Yes, those are all symptoms that the water pump is on the way out.

Be thankful that it is warning you.

Use a mirror to look under the pump at the lower weep hole. There will be signs of leakage from that point.

From what I hear, GM unloaded the water pump on the later years. The 84 has everything mounted to the water pump and it is a PIA.
Posted on: 2008/6/19 1:02

bogus Re: I don't think I want to go down this road...
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

also clean up the radiator intake area.

these cars are bottom feeders and will suck up about everything that gets in their path.
Posted on: 2008/6/19 1:38

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

95Vert Re: I don't think I want to go down this road...
Senior Guru
Aiken, SC
440 Posts

Advice taken.

I looked at it tonight with the engine running. With the flashlight, I could see definite moisture underneath. Don't know if things were dripping actively as I didn't see that, but there was moisture moving around, at least it looked like that in the light shining down there. Difficult to explain.

OK, if I catch it, the optispark should be ok, right?

So, if you look at Qack's post, he's replacing a whole bunch of stuff. Since it looks like I caught mine in time, will I have to replace all of that (tensioners, harmonic balancer, etc) or just the water pump. I guess what I'm asking is what are the replacement parts in this job?

Also, are the parts available only from the dealer or can I go to the auto parts store? Which pieces have to be GM quality only?
Posted on: 2008/6/19 2:19

CasetheCorvetteman Re: I don't think I want to go down this road...
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Yeah but what did the DIGITAL GAUGE say in terms of temp?
Posted on: 2008/6/19 2:22

Senior Guru
Aiken, SC
440 Posts

OK, I'm going to have to crawl into Newb excuse here and say, "huh"? Didn't even occur to me to look at the digital gauge. Now I know.

Could there be a discrepancy? If so, what does that mean, taking into account the coolant smell.
Posted on: 2008/6/19 2:26

Senior Guru
Raleigh, NC
274 Posts

You can do the water pump rather simply. You don't have to remove the harmonic balancer outer ring unless you are removing the Optispark. You don't have to remove the harmonic balancer hub unless you are replacing the crankhaft front oil seal.

I strongly recommend you check the tensioner and idler pulleys while you are replacing the water pump as they are both easy to check, and if there is any bearing noise or looseness, they are inexpensive and easy to replace.

You should also check the oil seal for the water pump for leakage and replace just that if it is necessary.

This is also a convenient time to replace the radiator hoses ... and the serpentine belt. It never ends, but enhanced reliability is a wonderful thing.
Posted on: 2008/6/19 2:28

Senior Guru
Aiken, SC
440 Posts

I could just replace all those parts just to be on the safe side.

Should the waterpump be bought new or rebuilt in these cases? Looks like about a $100 difference though.
Posted on: 2008/6/19 2:38

Senior Guru
Raleigh, NC
274 Posts

I'd go new AC Delco. You can get a new AC Delco water pump from Rockauto.com for $152 plus shipping.
Posted on: 2008/6/19 2:46

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

I dont know where you checked prices, but if you go to the site in my sig and look for the phone number, give him a call (he is in Colorado, but he will post to where ever you are) and see what price he says. If you have a part number, that will make his job alot easier.

Make sure its a 93-96 Corvette pump and not one of the other variants.

If there is a major difference between the analog gauge (right head, between 6 and 8) and the digital gauge (front lower water pump housing) then chances are the water pump isnt flowing as much water as it should be, or youve got some sort of technical issue causing alot heat build up in the right head (highly bloody unlikly)
Posted on: 2008/6/19 2:47

Senior Guru
Aiken, SC
440 Posts

Great! Certainly appreciate all the time and advice I'm getting on this. I know you all have better things to do than advising me on this issue, so I really appreciate this!
Posted on: 2008/6/19 3:11

CentralCoaster Re: I don't think I want to go down this road...
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

You need to buy a small inspection mirror from the parts store and look directly at the weep hole for a trail of coolant.

Also check the hose connections at the pump carefully.

No need to fret about prices until you do that.
Posted on: 2008/6/19 3:46

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Spot on Coaster, no point worrying about anything til you know what your up for.
Posted on: 2008/6/19 4:25

1Fast04Vert Re: I don't think I want to go down this road...
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

You have the GenII vented opti, it is not bullet proof, but much more resistant to water and other contaminents. I have changed mine (also a 95) and have the FSM. It is not a difficult job, maybe 4 hrs max for soemthing you haven't done before. Send me a PM or email if I can help.
Posted on: 2008/6/19 13:00

pianoguy Re: I don't think I want to go down this road...
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Think of it as an opportunity to commune with your car, and to grow some new skin on your knuckles ;-)
Posted on: 2008/6/19 13:00

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Senior Guru
Raleigh, NC
274 Posts

Quote:

95vette wrote:
It is not a difficult job, maybe 4 hrs max for soemthing you haven't done before.

Took me longer than that to get the harmonic balancer off!
Posted on: 2008/6/19 13:45

Senior Guru
1044 Posts

I used a make up mirror from my wife to check the weep hole first.

Understand the, weep will occur at first when the motor is hot. Run it a while to get it hot, turn it off and then pop the hood and stick the mirror under there to see if you see the coolant coming out.
Posted on: 2008/6/19 18:49

Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

1. There is no need to move the balancer to do just the water pump on an LT1/4. The belt tensioner has to come off, that is all.

2. You don't need a mirror or to even get under the car. Just stuff a clean paper towel under the middle of the water pump. Start it up and run it for awhile, pull the towel out and look at it. Couldn't be any easier.

Hope this helps.
Posted on: 2008/6/19 18:56

CentralCoaster Re: I don't think I want to go down this road...
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Yeah but a wetted hose could wet that towel, or it could even get caught in the belts.

Getting a look at the weephole and hose connections with a mirror doesn't require running the car or any guesswork, just 99 cents at your local parts store.
Posted on: 2008/6/19 19:54

Senior Guru
Aiken, SC
440 Posts

All right, say its the water pump going south (reason I surmise is that I'm in VA right now and the car is in GA and I won't get back until Monday evening).

In general, would the distributor survive this assault or are most people looking at replacing it at this time as well? Is there a consensus? I read the previous posts and it leads me to this question.

Finally, if it is the WP, I'm going to have to get it to a friends house in Charleston, SC from Augusta, GA, as I don't have any tools in GA. Waht are the risks with the weep? Is there even a way to forecast this? Alternative is to take the trailer with the F250, drive down from VA (DIESEL$$$) and then tow it to Charleston. (No, I don't know anyone to fix it and I'm not going down that road. Don't trust anyone in business out there to do a meticulous job anyway).

Lots of theorizing here so please bear with me as a novice.
Posted on: 2008/6/20 4:21

Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

If it is the W/P and if only a very slight seepage I would drive it. You have the GenII vented opti, if it was the GenI I would say trailer it. Also, leave the opti alone for the same reasons.

Don't we have a member in Augusta? I am too far away to be 'hands on' help.
Posted on: 2008/6/20 12:16

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

The opti is probably fine. That said, I decided to replace mine while I was in there, as I was going to pull it anyway to inspect the seal (had an oil leak). I figured if I was that far, I may as well put in a new opti, wires, plugs, hoses, etc. The inside of my opti looked fine, but I did find that one of the plug wire terminals was cracked.
Posted on: 2008/6/20 12:45

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Senior Guru
Aiken, SC
440 Posts

Well, I'll see if I can make it down there then. If I don't do the Opti, it saves me $200, $300 or $500 depending on where and which one I get. That MSD one is attractive, but over $500 is rich. Good to know.

I'm still kind of confused on that seal(s) on the waterpump shaft. I guess its in the manual.
Posted on: 2008/6/20 17:46

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Quote:

95Vert wrote:
Well, I'll see if I can make it down there then. If I don't do the Opti, it saves me $200, $300 or $500 depending on where and which one I get. That MSD one is attractive, but over $500 is rich. Good to know.

I'm still kind of confused on that seal(s) on the waterpump shaft. I guess its in the manual.

If you decide to do the opti, get a quote from epowershops.com on the MSD - also check SpeedHound to see what they can do for you.
Posted on: 2008/6/20 18:21

Senior Guru
Raleigh, NC
274 Posts

Quote:

95Vert wrote:

There are three seals that install on the timing chain cover:

Water pump shaft seal
Optispark shaft seal
Front crankshaft seal

They can all be replaced without removing the timing chain cover, and the seals themselves are inexpensive. The water pump seal cost $6.95 from my local Chevy parts department. Takes a couple of minutes to remove the old one and install the new one.

Of course I damaged the first one I tried to install, so it cost me twice that, but that's another story ...

Follow this link to see a great description of the seal replacement process:

Seal Replacement Directions
Posted on: 2008/6/24 0:10

Senior Guru
Aiken, SC
440 Posts

Appreciate the information on the seals. GREAT LINK! I was wondering about that seal.

Result: WP needs changing...conclusions below.

I got back to Augusta last night and checked the car over after work today. The area under the pulley's was dry, but feeling under the water pump resulted in some gunky oi/brown colored substance on my fingers. This, right around the weep hole.

Then I drove the car down the street to the gym...about 10 miles and back a little later. Checking the under WP area showed a wet area under the pulleys and a very hot, almost burned finger with coolant on it from under the WP. Both temp gauges in the car seemed to be in alignment as to the temp shown.

Bottom line, replace WP by getting car to Charleston where a friend has the necesary tools. That way, if we encounter difficulties, I'll have a place to stay overnight as I'm away from home (VA) down here and don't want to risk the 500 miles to get back there.
Posted on: 2008/6/25 2:37

Senior Guru
Raleigh, NC
274 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:

these cars are bottom feeders and will suck up about everything that gets in their path.

Hey Bogus,

Thanks for mentioning this. I was mumbling under my breath when I first read it, but decided since I had everything off, I should do it.

GOOD GRIEF!!! I wonder how the radiator worked at all. I'm about to start cleaning the radiator, which has an inch-thick carpet of fine junk covering the radiator just in front of the low-temperature cooling fan. I also removed enough wheat stalks from the plenum area to feed a cow for a day!
Posted on: 2008/6/28 15:11

Senior Guru
1044 Posts

It seems they are all that way
Posted on: 2008/6/29 5:54

hulagan808 Re: I don't think I want to go down this road...
Guru
hawaii, maui
58 Posts

Pressure test with dye is the only way I go, unless it's on the way home ect. . As far as being bottom feeders there is a great video on youtube of a guy pulling a dead bird out of his vette. Aloha
Posted on: 2008/6/30 13:15

Senior Guru
Raleigh, NC
274 Posts

Quote:

Qack wrote:
Quote:

bogus wrote:

Hey Bogus,

Thanks for mentioning this. I was mumbling under my breath when I first read it, but decided since I had everything off, I should do it.

GOOD GRIEF!!! I wonder how the radiator worked at all. I'm about to start cleaning the radiator, which has an inch-thick carpet of fine junk covering the radiator just in front of the low-temperature cooling fan. I also removed enough wheat stalks from the plenum area to feed a cow for a day!

A little real-world feedback. My '94 is back on the road and things are sure better in this arena. Before I cleaned the radiator, the temperature would run 190ish when driving, but would climb to 230 fairly quickly after I stopped at a red light, at which time the fan would come on and hold it at 230.

Now, under almost identical conditions, the car still holds at 190ish while driving, but if I stop at a traffic light, the temperature slowly drifts up, but hasn't exceeded 205 yet.

What an improvement! I heartily recommend cleaning the plenum area!!!

Qack
Posted on: 2008/7/27 1:17

Flashman Re: I don't think I want to go down this road...
Senior Guru
Tampa Bay, Florida
174 Posts

Hello All,

My buddy has a 95 coupe and his water pump leaked and took out the optispark. He finally went with an MSD optispark.I was told that they have a better seal on them. If you guys are looking for good prices on Corvette/GM parts. Look on ebay for a seller called thepartsladi.She is located in Florida and carries all AC Delco parts. I purchased my whole ac system for my 86 from her. I saved hundreds of dollars buying from her and I got my parts within a few days. Take care.

Joe-Flash Man
Posted on: 2008/7/27 4:12

Mekanic Re: I don't think I want to go down this road...
Registered Vendor
Tampa Bay Florida
827 Posts

I had a teeny bit of water dripping from my weep hole a few months ago, it dripped directly on the belt, made for an easy inspection
Posted on: 2008/7/27 4:55

Yea tho I walk through the valley in the shadow of rice, I shall fear no turbo, for torque art with me.

Senior Guru
Aiken, SC
440 Posts

Looks like its the weep hole leaking on the serpentine belt which slips, causing the PS to also be weak in a turn. Another part for replacement. It just gets better and better.

I have sent an email to a guy named Dal who now works with a company called RMS for prices. I guess he used to work for an Olds dealer in Ohio. He seems to be very well known. Rock auto also has a good price. i'll check some of the other references.

Been busy with trying to get my sons TII RX7 back on the road and a couple of Miata's needed maintenance. Then the window regulator on my long distance VW TDI went south and the aftermarket part did not work correctly. Nothing but fun out here. Towed the vette back home from Augusta last night. Now in the driveway awaiting its turn to be repaired. Did I mention I have a real job? ;)
Posted on: 2008/7/28 5:25

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.