Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
254 user(s) are online (205 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  SBC
This stands for Small Block Chevrolet. The engine debuted in 1955 and remained largely unchanged until 1986. The initials are still used today to d...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

NC Kid So I worked with Police Laser and I confirmed 2 lies!
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

First and foremost, this piece is sold my ecklers, midamerica, and all over the internet. Last year, I was trying to figure out ways to beat the cops detections. It's stupid and believe me, it wont work. I found out first hand without getting a ticket. I have a police officer friend who works in the next city. I purchased this piece and am returning it. 2nd, I did ask about detectors. He said they will NOT beat laser. Radar yes but not laser. They will detect laser but by then it will be to late. He said the V1 is the only one worth messing with. I am quite aware most of you guys know that but he has one in his regular car so I am just confirming it from a officer. Here is a picture of the "laser" deflector. Oh btw, I did ask forum members about it last year and some of you guys did say it was crap. We were talking a few weeks ago and we did it this afternoon. True they do use license plates to get the most accurate reading. How this is even remotly true about this plastic piece working is beyond me. 25 dollars of worthless junk! If anyone else has any thoughts about this piece, i will be more than happy to listen. The thought did cross my mind of the stealth fighters and the material they are made of which can't be picked up by radar. Other than that, I doubt it would be legal to sell anything that truely does block laser.I also asked about the Laser scramblers. He said MOST do not work. Food for thought. It was interesting to me to see it but thats all I have for right now.

Photobucket
Posted on: 2009/1/26 21:21
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

NC Kid Re: So I worked with Police Laser and I confirmed 2 lies!
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Photobucket

This is a waste, illegal, and will get you a heavy fine. He said you could go to jail but unless the officer wanted to be a dick, you would just get a big fine. Photo is outlawed in N.C. now anyway so it was pointless to consider this ever. I doubt it would work if the camera was angled the right way though.
Posted on: 2009/1/26 21:29

CentralCoaster Re: So I worked with Police Laser and I confirmed 2 lies!
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

It's used for the photo cameras to obscure it.

Against laser you'd have to see if it decreases the distance the cop can tag you from. Nothing is going to make your car radar or laser proof, but you can do some things to help.

I wouldn't expect a cop to know with great certainty what works and what doesn't. He's going off personal experience, and doesn't work at a radar/laser gun testing lab.

It's true that no detector will save you from a direct hit with laser. But they still detect laser, so that you can be aware of any stray laser signals if there's a cop targeting someone else (or targeting you poorly). Some of the laser jammers do work, but they're illegal in most states, maybe every state by now. But hey, speeding is illegal too.

If you don't want a speeding ticket, don't drive out of state with CA plates, and don't speed.

I'll take his detector recommendation though! Although lately I'm worried my V1 isn't working right, it doesn't seem very sensitive at all any more after 5 years of ownership. I've been meaning to give them a call to see if it's worth fixing or even messed up.

Personally, I think the whole photo-ticketing thing is bullshit. If it was up to me, cars wouldn't have license plates at all, and insurance would not be required.
Posted on: 2009/1/26 21:35

Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

V1 can update it if you send it in. Most scramblers don't work but I aint buying it regardless. Photo ticketing was deemed illegal here because it was considered unconstitutional because the people that ran the cameras got most of the revenue so the city/state did not get a large cut so thats why they are no longer used. I dunno. It's just a big scam but I wouldn't run a red light. My father did get a speeding ticket though by a camera 4 years ago? Maybe a little longer. 52 in a 45. I don't speed much. Only 5 over. Just thought it was interesting to see what that thing did.
Posted on: 2009/1/26 21:48

Jeffvette Re: So I worked with Police Laser and I confirmed 2 lies!
Elite Guru
Not on CF
1297 Posts

Quote:

NC Kid wrote:
I did ask about detectors. He said they will NOT beat laser. Radar yes but not laser. They will detect laser but by then it will be to late.

He has never come across this then.

http://www.blinder.net/
Posted on: 2009/1/26 21:49

Elite Guru
Not on CF
1297 Posts

Quote:

NC Kid wrote:

Other than that, I doubt it would be legal to sell anything that truely does block laser.

How is it against the law to block light? I can understand radio frequency.
Posted on: 2009/1/26 21:50

BrianCunningham Re: So I worked with Police Laser and I confirmed 2 lies!
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

It's written into the law about displaying the plates.

Technically the plate aerocovers they sell are illegal too.

http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?pf_id=A1353&dept_id=1392

Resized Image
Posted on: 2009/1/26 22:13

Elite Guru
Not on CF
1297 Posts

Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:

It's written into the law about displaying the plates.

Two different issues. Covering the plates covers the state name in some cases and also can conceal letters or numbers. The big thing about the covers is trying to defeat photo radar.

Laser jamming is not legal in a handful of states, and most of the laws are pretty vague.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkYfOIzBeM0
Posted on: 2009/1/26 22:22

TommyT-Bone Re: So I worked with Police Laser and I confirmed 2 lies!
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Basically everything is illegal once you are born. Before your birth your mother is culpable. That being said, it's all just a stay out of jail game after that. Anybody who says it ain't just hasn't been caught. Your all a bunch of hoods ......... By the way , the cops giving the tickets are the greatest violators. They have a get out of jail free card.
Posted on: 2009/1/26 23:53

Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
Basically everything is illegal once you are born. Before your birth your mother is culpable. That being said, it's all just a stay out of jail game after that. Anybody who says it ain't just hasn't been caught. Your all a bunch of hoods ......... By the way , the cops giving the tickets are the greatest violators. They have a get out of jail free card.
:notfun:
Posted on: 2009/1/27 0:00

bogus Re: So I worked with Police Laser and I confirmed 2 lies!
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

A few thoughts:

Mythbusters tested all of that crap... and everyone failed. They DO NOT WORK. The lenses, the Shields, none of it.

The V1 WILL catch laser... it has to do with the pie slice aspect of laser. Remember, laser still uses an embedded radio wave, it's not pure light. That widens the farther the beam goes from the transmitter. The V1 is very effective at picking that noise up. I have seen it work and it does do just that.

The 1934 Electronic Communications Act (revised a few times since) makes it LEGAL to intercept radio waves of all kinds, as long as they are not for national security. It is this exact law that has repealed radar detectors bans in CT, and stopped them in other states. VA is wierd... I suspect they haven't fought it yet.

The problem is interfering with those signals...

Oh, a 300+ MPH jet car is too fast for a photoradar camera to catch. Mythbusters proved it.

Also, red light cameras? No thanks. The systems are LEASED to the authority. The company takes a cut of the revenues. To maintain the level of revenues, they shorten the yellow!!! This means they they are not only catching normal red light violators, but they are creating an entirely new class of violators. It's ethically reprehensable.
Posted on: 2009/1/27 4:20

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

88BlackZ51 Re: So I worked with Police Laser and I confirmed 2 lies!
Senior Guru
481 Posts

you cannot beat the laser!
Posted on: 2009/1/27 4:22

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

If the laser hits you, correct.

I was driving home - this is back in Delaware - my V1 started to light up like a Christmas tree. There was laser in the way. I had the officer about .70 miles before he saw me. I was catching the noise he was emitting on OTHER CARS.

Again, the pic slice effect.
Posted on: 2009/1/27 4:25

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Laser jamming was only recently written into the California Vehicle Code.
Posted on: 2009/1/27 4:27

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Two examples.

Both examples, the green "car" is going to get fried.

However, in example 2, the blue "car" is far enough away that it won't get nailed.

I have been the blue car in two or three occasions. Twice it was like example 2. I was far enough back, getting the noise. Example 1, I was closer, but another car was between us and I was still able to react.

They can say laser is unbeatable, it is hard, but if you know how to read the message the detector is delivering, it can save you a ticket.

The V1 also has that neat directional thing. Several years ago, I was driving to FL, south on I-95. There is a small chunk of I-95 in SC that is very flat and wide. The median is VERY wide - 1/2 mile, I bet. And flat... and low... the SCHP had set up a huge speed trap. There were 10+ LEO cars and at least 15 pulled over.

My V1 was going nuts for about a minute before I got to the trap, so I slowed. If nothing else, I was expecting a wreck scene. I had X... K... Ka... the thing was going ballistic!

I get there and it's this trap... wow... As I clear the trap, the detector is still picking up the noise from behind, just like it should. I notice that the V1 is picking up new signals ahead... hm... I keep close to the limit (do anyway, I mean, 70 MPH is a cool limit, and normally, I don't stray much more than 5 over). As I near the rise, ANOTHER TRAP. The car next to me, who cleared the first, got complacent and nailed it... only to get it in the next trap! Classic!

I cleared both, no problems.

Attach file:

jpg  example1.jpg (15.89 KB)
3_497e8daf48ed0.jpg 732X559 px

jpg  example2.jpg (16.48 KB)
3_497e8dbaeddf9.jpg 732X559 px
Posted on: 2009/1/27 4:36

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Good example, but a bit exaggerated. The cone of the laser is pretty tight.

I think you're probably more likely to get stray laser hits as it reflects off other cars, buildings, etc.

Same for radar, although radar spreads more.

I've picked up radar hits from 2 miles away on a twisty highway, completely out of sight. A cop can't get a reading from that.

My beef with the V1 is the damn backup sensors on the new SUVs set it off.
Posted on: 2009/1/27 4:41

Senior Guru
481 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Two examples.

Both examples, the green "car" is going to get fried.

However, in example 2, the blue "car" is far enough away that it won't get nailed.

I have been the blue car in two or three occasions. Twice it was like example 2. I was far enough back, getting the noise. Example 1, I was closer, but another car was between us and I was still able to react.

They can say laser is unbeatable, it is hard, but if you know how to read the message the detector is delivering, it can save you a ticket.

The V1 also has that neat directional thing. Several years ago, I was driving to FL, south on I-95. There is a small chunk of I-95 in SC that is very flat and wide. The median is VERY wide - 1/2 mile, I bet. And flat... and low... the SCHP had set up a huge speed trap. There were 10+ LEO cars and at least 15 pulled over.

My V1 was going nuts for about a minute before I got to the trap, so I slowed. If nothing else, I was expecting a wreck scene. I had X... K... Ka... the thing was going ballistic!

I get there and it's this trap... wow... As I clear the trap, the detector is still picking up the noise from behind, just like it should. I notice that the V1 is picking up new signals ahead... hm... I keep close to the limit (do anyway, I mean, 70 MPH is a cool limit, and normally, I don't stray much more than 5 over). As I near the rise, ANOTHER TRAP. The car next to me, who cleared the first, got complacent and nailed it... only to get it in the next trap! Classic!

I cleared both, no problems.

I think you are referring to radar, and not laser. I have had reading's as far as 1200 M's away which is 2 par 5's, and 1 par 3 if that helps. I have never had an issue getting a speed on any vehicle.

Radar is easily beaten. Different can of worms.
Posted on: 2009/1/27 4:46

Senior Guru
481 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Good example, but a bit exaggerated. The cone of the laser is pretty tight.

I think you're probably more likely to get stray laser hits as it reflects off other cars, buildings, etc.

Same for radar, although radar spreads more.

I've picked up radar hits from 2 miles away on a twisty highway, completely out of sight. A cop can't get a reading from that.

My beef with the V1 is the damn backup sensors on the new SUVs set it off.

Actually the radar has a cone effect, but the Laser is point and shoot! The radar will get the bigger vehicle.
Posted on: 2009/1/27 4:48

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Laser has a cone effect too. But the actual cone is smaller than the frontal area of the car at the distance you usually target from.
Posted on: 2009/1/27 5:22

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

The end result was still the same - I picked up noise.

I have NEVER been ticketed from laser. And most of the small towns in DE had it.

Then came the LTI 20/20 fiasco. The early systems had SERIOUS problems... They had to be fix mounted on a tripod for best accuracy. Then, if the car being aimed at, hit a dip, the beam would change from the bumper to the windscreen and the numbers would change DRAMATICALLY.

In a court in NJ several years ago, an atty picked up a 20/20 and aimed it at the wall... then moved it a few inches and a speed was registered. The logic behind how it clocked speed were entirely wrong.

Then comes the fun part... LTI was part owned by - get this - GEICO!!! GEICO then took their investment return in the form of lidar guns. They then GAVE the guns to small towns all across America... the goal? To catch GEICO insured and raise their rates!!

Lovely.

The court results in NJ caused the Delaware State Police to suspend usage of LIDAR. They made their investment in Ka.

I was working at the Delaware AGs office and State Police during this period.
Posted on: 2009/1/27 5:56

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I think I hold the record...

After I purchased my V1 I got a speeding ticket within 2 hours of installing it.

It was a direct hit with laser on an otherwise empty road at night. My crappy car's speedometer wasn't working either, so I slowed down but apparently it was way too late. Showed the cop the blown fuse and he told me to pound sand. Seeing my detector light up like a christmas tree probably didn't help.

That was almost 7 years ago and I haven't gotten a speeding ticket since.
Posted on: 2009/1/27 6:24

BillH Re: So I worked with Police Laser and I confirmed 2 lies!
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

My detector has saved me thousands of times, both radar and laser.

My last ticket was about 18 years ago.
The cop pointed at my detector and said "It didn't go off, did it?"
Ya can't beat an airplane and a stopwatch.
Posted on: 2009/1/27 14:54

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I always find that interesting, because in CA this is written into law:

Quote:

40801. No peace officer or other person shall use a speed trap in arresting, or participating or assisting in the arrest of, any person for any alleged violation of this code nor shall any speed trap be used in securing evidence as to the speed of any vehicle for the purpose of an arrest or prosecution under this code.

40802. (a) A "speed trap" is either of the following:

(1) A particular section of a highway measured as to distance and with boundaries marked, designated, or otherwise determined in order that the speed of a vehicle may be calculated by securing the time it takes the vehicle to travel the known distance.

(2) ...

All this and yet they mark the roads specifically so aircraft can measure speed.

Why that law exists doesn't make any sense really, because radar and laser guns measure speed the same way. How else can you measure speed besides distance over time?
Posted on: 2009/1/27 15:48

TommyT-Bone Re: So I worked with Police Laser and I confirmed 2 lies!
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
My detector has saved me thousands of times, both radar and laser.

My last ticket was about 18 years ago.
The cop pointed at my detector and said "It didn't go off, did it?"
Ya can't beat an airplane and a stopwatch.

The cop that writes the ticket isn't in the plane and the flyer doesn't usually show up to court. So technically the writing cop isn't a witness to the infraction. His testimony is based on here-say.
Posted on: 2009/1/27 15:59

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I think the guys in the plane are supposed to radio the ground units, who then go out and try to witness the infraction on their own.

Yeah right.
Posted on: 2009/1/27 16:10

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I guess once they say its a "visual estimation of speed" there's nothing you can do or say to fight it.

Which is b.s., because that's the by far the least accurate way to measure a car's speed.
Posted on: 2009/1/27 16:12

SpectatorRacing Re: So I worked with Police Laser and I confirmed 2 lies!
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Quote:
How else can you measure speed besides distance over time?

You can use the derivitive of acceleration. Simple physics

Yeah, I know, you'd still need initial velocity which makes this a circular argument. I was just trying to make a joke.
Posted on: 2009/1/27 17:52

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Heh. Math joke. Ha ha.

Yup, directly measure force of a mass being accelerated. If you start from a stop, you can determine speed, location, everything. A la gtech. Some people think it's magic.
Posted on: 2009/1/27 18:46

BillH Re: So I worked with Police Laser and I confirmed 2 lies!
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
I think the guys in the plane are supposed to radio the ground units, who then go out and try to witness the infraction on their own.

Yeah right.

Probably, but they're using a stopwatch in the cockpit. I saw it once on TV, they had a reporter in the plane.

That's one reason why I like the glass top in the C4. And you learn some of the places like on the way to the Reno racetrack on I80 and 30 below Stockton on I5 on the way to Laguna.
Posted on: 2009/1/27 20:02

SpectatorRacing Re: So I worked with Police Laser and I confirmed 2 lies!
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Heh. Math joke. Ha ha.

Yup, directly measure force of a mass being accelerated. If you start from a stop, you can determine speed, location, everything. A la gtech. Some people think it's magic.

You don't have to start from a stop, a la Newton...you can use any value for V0. Even 0.

Of course I don't have to tell you this. You're smrt.
Posted on: 2009/1/27 21:55

ghoffman Re: So I worked with Police Laser and I confirmed 2 lies!
Senior Guru
258 Posts

Quote:

SpectatorRacing wrote:
Quote:
How else can you measure speed besides distance over time?

You can use the derivitive of acceleration. Simple physics

Yeah, I know, you'd still need initial velocity which makes this a circular argument. I was just trying to make a joke.

I thought it was funny! After a couple more times you would become a "jerk"!
Posted on: 2009/1/27 23:21

ghoffman Re: So I worked with Police Laser and I confirmed 2 lies!
Senior Guru
258 Posts

OK, here is how a police laser jammer works. Police laser radar(lidar) is not Doppler like the police radar, it is a simple "time of flight" range finder with a specific repetition rate. So if you know the target is say 1000 meters away now and you have a known rep rate you can easily do the math as the distance over time=speed. The beam divergence (what you referred to as the cone) is not an issue because the jammer has several advantages over the lidar. He has to go 2x as far as you do so he has 1/4 of the maximum power, but is only getting a small percentages returned pulses. FDA regs make him be eye-safe and you do as well so he can't just turn up the power nor can he go with a narrower beam divergence to get more energy on target. You can simply have a rep rate that is a multiple of his, either more or less, and his return signal will be lost within his sampling filters with yours being much more signal power into his receiver. Simple to do as compared to Military jammers...
Posted on: 2009/1/27 23:37

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.