Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
258 user(s) are online (199 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  D36
This references the rear differential.

The Dana 36 was the smaller unit. It was used on all 1984 Corvettes, and all automatic Corvettes thru 199...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Matatk Monday Chat 03.02.09
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22808 Posts

Good Morning CGs!

Happy Monday to all. It's actually my Friday so I get a couple off after this.

Went over to the in laws last night and helped BIL with their tile in the basement. He is tiling the entire thing - like 750 sq ft of it. So I helped for about 2 hours. Makes the job go much quicker with an extra set of hands. I'll probably be over there tonight again lending a hand. I still have to paint my basement stairway walls, but that can wait.

Bought a bench and half cage with some weights last night on ebay. Hopefully I can pick them up this week. Can't put them in the basement yet, but that's no biggie. I am ready to get back into the swing of things.

How was everyone's weekend?

Hope everyone has a great day!

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/3/2 12:27

BrianCunningham Re: Monday Chat 03.02.09
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Woke up to 6in of snow on the ground today, and still snowing 1in/hr

So, I'll have to dig out again when I get back home.

Looks like the south took a hit from this storm as well.
Posted on: 2009/3/2 14:09
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

djxib Re: Monday Chat 03.02.09
Senior Guru
North Georgia
456 Posts

Finally stopped raining / snowing here in the ATL. Sun is shining and a cold 27 degrees - roads are dry so may take the 'vette for a run down to the office in midtown (she's been sat in the garage for 4 weeks during my trip to the UK).

Weekend was good - we braved the weather to see KODO last night at the Fox theatre, excellent show.

This week I'm helping my buddy with an Opti replacement on his 1994, then doing the oil pan gasket on my 1992 at the weekend. While I was away my new chip burner and scanning cables arrived from Moates, so I may take some scans today.

Happy Monday gurus!
Posted on: 2009/3/2 14:09

red_johnny Re: Monday Chat 03.02.09
On Sabbatical
Augusta, GA (85 383 stroker)
3213 Posts

Crap thats alot of tile!!! Did he go cheap or did he buy the expensive tile? Size like that every penny matters.
Posted on: 2009/3/2 14:23

TommyT-Bone Re: Monday Chat 03.02.09
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33791 Posts

Waiting for the plumber today. Water is turned off with a bad leak in the back of the house. I've already turned on a faucet more than once to nothing. When The power is out I've been known to hit the switch to a powerless switch. I can only hope that it's only been leaking for a couple of days not a couple of weeks or months. My regular bill is about $60. With leaks, people have got bills for $500 up to a couple thousand dollars. I'll check back in later with a damage report.
Posted on: 2009/3/2 14:23

BillH Re: Monday Chat 03.02.09
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
I can only hope that it's only been leaking for a couple of days not a couple of weeks or months. My regular bill is about $60. With leaks, people have got bills for $500 up to a couple thousand dollars. I'll check back in later with a damage report.

Been there, done that. I had a toilet leaking thru the over flow in a guest bath that I don't use. My normal usuage is 3,000/month, $20. That bill was for 75,000 gal - $276.00
Posted on: 2009/3/2 14:47

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33791 Posts

Well I just checked out the how much I used since last cycle. I normally use about 30 cubes. The difference this time so far is 77 cubes so I guess I should get off with about a $140 water bill. It could have been far worse I'm sure. Lets's see what the plumber costs. Whatever it is, I'm glad to be getting it fixed. Plumbers have to work too ya know.
Posted on: 2009/3/2 15:08

CentralCoaster Re: Monday Chat 03.02.09
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

That's the trouble with 2-month billing cycles. I've worked on a few commercial jobs where they lost close to $10 grand for a leak that went unnoticed several weeks. Heck, just blowing a sprinkler head off for a week is $50 worth of water.

I survived another motorcycle ride yesterday through the canyons. I led this one but we had 3 really new riders, one crashed, and a 2nd one almost did several times. It's kinda fun being out in the middle of nowhere with no phone reception trying to patch together a smashed up bike to make it rideable. (When it's not your bike!) You start wandering around looking for anything that will come in handy, sticks, rocks, pieces of barbed wire, other broken bike parts. I used a headphone cord and a hair-band from my g/f to get his bike rideable, and had to pry the pretzeled shift lever back out.

Kinda ruins the mojo for the ride though.

I'm going bike camping this weekend, I'm going to finally pack a road side kit with maybe some bailing wire, zip ties, and of course my bike's toolkit.
Posted on: 2009/3/2 15:43

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33791 Posts

Don't forget the duck/duct tape.
Posted on: 2009/3/2 15:47

On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
That's the trouble with 2-month billing cycles. I've worked on a few commercial jobs where they lost close to $10 grand for a leak that went unnoticed several weeks. Heck, just blowing a sprinkler head off for a week is $50 worth of water.

I survived another motorcycle ride yesterday through the canyons. I led this one but we had 3 really new riders, one crashed, and a 2nd one almost did several times. It's kinda fun being out in the middle of nowhere with no phone reception trying to patch together a smashed up bike to make it rideable. (When it's not your bike!) You start wandering around looking for anything that will come in handy, sticks, rocks, pieces of barbed wire, other broken bike parts. I used a headphone cord and a hair-band from my g/f to get his bike rideable, and had to pry the pretzeled shift lever back out.

Kinda ruins the mojo for the ride though.

I'm going bike camping this weekend, I'm going to finally pack a road side kit with maybe some bailing wire, zip ties, and of course my bike's toolkit.

Here is my take, when you ride in groups its always good to give a safety breif BEFORE you hit the road. Tell the new guys to stay in the back or front (depending how your riding) and tell them no matter what dont try to catch up through the corners. They can try to catch up in the straight-a-ways then SLOW down going into the corners. Its a clear case of out riding their ability. Sorry to hear that 1 wrecked hepefully he will learn from this.
Posted on: 2009/3/2 15:49

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

We do that on every ride, on the site where the ride is posted, before we leave, and at stops on the ride. We split up into groups and wait for everyone, so they really have no excuse to ride squid.

But they rarely listen. It's always the "other guy" that crashes right?

Some people learn the easy way, others learn by breaking their equipment, and others learn the HARD way.

Probably 3/4 of the new guys that crash never come back, I think they just can't handle their ego. Which is probably fine for the rest of the group. You can lead a horse to water... On these types of rides, all the experienced riders are sacrificing a bit to include the newbies, but we do advanced rides also.

Group riding definitely pushes people to ride harder, whether they realize it or not. I'm guilty of the same. The benefit though, is you have the opportunity to learn technique from others, learn to control your own ego, and of course get to know the other riders and bikes. Much better than learning to ride from your brother-in-law's drinking buddy. If you're never tempted by others to ride beyond your limits, then you'll never learn to resist the urge. We see quite a few guys with lots of riding experience, but not group experience, and they suddenly start having the same problems.
Posted on: 2009/3/2 16:10

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

red_johnny wrote:
They can try to catch up in the straight-a-ways then SLOW down going into the corners.

Actually if someone is trying to follow and obviously struggling, I think you should either slow down a bit, or just disappear out of sight so they can't follow.

Otherwise they will be trying to catch up on the straights, and therefore will be carrying more speed into the corners than you.

A newb rider shouldn't really be using their brakes in the twisties, unless maybe it's downhill and on a bike with no compression braking.

It looks like this guy crashed because he braked into the turn , used up too much road, and hit debris on the shoulder.
Posted on: 2009/3/2 16:20

On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

Cool that you do already do that. Its all ego then, guys too hard headed to slow down.
Posted on: 2009/3/2 20:28

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33791 Posts

Plumber paid. Total leak approx expense will be about $720. Seeing that I have a house that is 50 years old and built with galvanized pipe that is showing obvious signs of wear, the suggested repair was to replumb the house. I'll save that till the next leak. I'm sure there will be a next leak. Repair guestimate of about $3000 for a basic replumb.

Let's see......... what will be next? Ahh! Home ownership ...
Posted on: 2009/3/2 21:12

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

The other new guy was actually there with me when the other one crashed. I think he understood quite clearly, he just couldn't seem to apply it to his own riding.
Posted on: 2009/3/2 21:13

On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
Plumber paid. Total leak approx expense will be about $720. Seeing that I have a house that is 50 years old and built with galvanized pipe that is showing obvious signs of wear, the suggested repair was to replumb the house. I'll save that till the next leak. I'm sure there will be a next leak. Repair guestimate of about $3000 for a basic replumb.

Let's see......... what will be next? Ahh! Home ownership ...
Yup I had my buddy who is a plumber tell me the same thing but he said I still have about 10 years left before he thinks it will start failing. I did have him redo all the bathroom plumbing though.
Posted on: 2009/3/2 21:27

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Would you be using copper or CPVC to repipe it?
Posted on: 2009/3/2 22:05

patgizz Re: Monday Chat 03.02.09
Senior Guru
Medina, OH
228 Posts

tommy buy the crimper tool and just pull new PEX through the walls yourself.

i'm still not sold on it and prefer to use copper but for retrofitting where you can pretty much pull it like wire it's pretty sweet. we only do remodeling so i'm constantly looking for new ways to get water around corners, through walls, to new bathrooms, etc...

my sunday morning was lame, FHA required us to paint the foundation, some trim, and the awnings on the new house, as well as fix the garage door opener and seal a duct - before they would give final approval on the loan. my mortgage guru went back and forth with them on the painting because - cleveland in winter is no time to paint outside - they told us to paint it or bugger off. so we painted yesterday morning, and i don't care how it looks as long as it does not fall off before the appraiser goes back out. he's a tool as well, they charged $415 for the appraisal($65 more than any appraiser i know) and they are charging $125 to go back out and verify the repairs. this new system they have where the mortgage person can't pick the appraiser sucks, now they can bend you over a barrel because the FHA has a pool of appraisers and they just dole out the work in rotation.
Posted on: 2009/3/2 22:37

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:

Group riding definitely pushes people to ride harder, whether they realize it or not. I'm guilty of the same.

Sorry, my take is different. What I see is sportbike riders using the public roads as racetracks. Ate these guys crashing because they're taking corners somewhere around the speedlimit? Bet not.
Last summer one of these riders "drifted over the double yellow" and ran a minivan full of kids off the road and into a ditch.
Posted on: 2009/3/2 22:47

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33791 Posts

I was thinking of using CPVC and that's pretty much what the're using here today. The plumber was telling me they've been having some issues with some copper tubing with pinhole leaks. Claims that they're mixing the copper with another metal to cut costs and it breaks down in some cases. I'm going to hold off till it becomes a necessity. I'll look into the PEX though. Right now my plumbing is a hodge podge mix of galvanized, copper and pvc tubing. Some of it lies under the slab. The last temporary fix we did has lasted for 17 years.
Posted on: 2009/3/2 23:04

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33791 Posts

Posted on: 2009/3/2 23:10

On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:

Group riding definitely pushes people to ride harder, whether they realize it or not. I'm guilty of the same.

Sorry, my take is different. What I see is sportbike riders using the public roads as racetracks. Ate these guys crashing because they're taking corners somewhere around the speedlimit? Bet not.
Last summer one of these riders "drifted over the double yellow" and ran a minivan full of kids off the road and into a ditch.
Some do but not all. Dont paint the picture that all sport bike riders are like that cause we are not. Yes we can take corners faster that a car (alot faster) and yes some do take corners faster than their skills allow them to. But I know of many who ride the rockets and dont do those things. I have been known to lean it over and take a corner fast BUT its always a corner I can see through and always in safe conditions and never during busy traffic. I will never ride in a style that will place others at risk.
Posted on: 2009/3/2 23:11

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33791 Posts

Don't you just love the daily chat...... Multiple topics in no particular order.
Posted on: 2009/3/2 23:17

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:

In this case, your take is completely wrong.

This guy that crashed was doing maybe 20 mph at the time, overbraked into a tight corner, and went into the dirt. This is exactly what most of the crashes in our group are. The only serious crash I recall on a ride was when an oncoming van crossed the double yellow line in front of a rider on a blind corner to get to an overlook on the other side of the road.

I don't doubt that for every responsible rider, there's at least 1 reckless rider (and at least two more driving minivans on a cell phone completely oblivious to everything around them).
Posted on: 2009/3/2 23:20

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

PEX is good stuff and very easy to work with, but whatever you do, use the copper crimp rings, NOT the stainless cinch clamps.

The clamps are a ticking time bomb.
Posted on: 2009/3/2 23:22

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
I was thinking of using CPVC and that's pretty much what the're using here today. The plumber was telling me they've been having some issues with some copper tubing with pinhole leaks. Claims that they're mixing the copper with another metal to cut costs and it breaks down in some cases. I'm going to hold off till it becomes a necessity. I'll look into the PEX though. Right now my plumbing is a hodge podge mix of galvanized, copper and pvc tubing. Some of it lies under the slab. The last temporary fix we did has lasted for 17 years.

What the plumber means, is he's been having some issues with not training his workers. The pinhole leaks in the copper are from poor workmanship... the copper itself is the same stuff that was being installed 50 years ago.

If you use a sharp cutter, deburr the cuts, don't overflux your pipes, and don't put a giant recirculating pump on a 1/2" line, then you won't have any pinhole leaks. Ever.
Posted on: 2009/3/2 23:28

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:

This guy that crashed was doing maybe 20 mph at the time, overbraked into a tight corner, and went into the dirt. This is exactly what most of the crashes in our group are. The only serious crash I recall on a ride was when an oncoming van crossed the double yellow line in front of a rider on a blind corner to get to an overlook on the other side of the road.

I don't doubt that for every responsible rider, there's at least 1 reckless rider (and at least two more driving minivans on a cell phone completely oblivious to everything around them).

OK, I'll take it back. I've just seen a bunch of that around here. But, then I'm not riding with these guys either.
Posted on: 2009/3/3 0:49

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

red_johnny wrote:
Yes we can take corners faster that a car (alot faster) .

I'm sure you do ride with safety in mind.

But the above dosen't happen on a racetrack. The bikes are slower in the corners.
Please note, I raced bikes for over 15 years including roadrace and 750's on the mile flattracks.
Posted on: 2009/3/3 0:55

Matatk Re: Monday Chat 03.02.09
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22808 Posts

Interesting chat today!

Johhny, the tile altogether was around $1100 or so. Very nice tile, too. We got it at a discount home builder place. Bought a lot to make sure we didn't run out, because sometimes if they run out that's it. That would suck to have 748 ft done and be short 2 tiles!

Tommy - glad you got your plumbing issue worked out.

Kevin - sucks about the crash. That's why I sold my bike and bought the vette. Wifey always hated the 2 wheeled version of fun, she is much happier with the 4 wheeled version

Well, I didn't do any tile tonight, BIL was busy doing some other tasks. He has school Tue and Wed so I'm off. I'll try to paint some more tomorrow in my own basement.

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/3/3 2:11

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:

But the above dosen't happen on a racetrack. The bikes are slower in the corners.
Please note, I raced bikes for over 15 years including roadrace and 750's on the mile flattracks.

I was going to disagree with johnny on that one too. I think it take a helluva rider to outpace even a decent driver in a Corvette in the turns. On the straights of course, the bike will prevail. I followed plenty of bikers through Mullholland in my slow poke vette.
Posted on: 2009/3/3 7:07

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Quote:

BillH wrote:

I was going to disagree with johnny on that one too. I think it take a helluva rider to outpace even a decent driver in a Corvette in the turns. On the straights of course, the bike will prevail. I followed plenty of bikers through Mullholland in my slow poke vette.

Blindingly fast on the straights. I go to a lot of test days at the Reno track, maybe 2 a month. There's always a lot of bikes, guys I know. If I 'm not working on a car, I always watch them (and put a stopwatch on them). The accerelation and speeds on the straights is awesome.

there's a couple of classed of racecars with bike motors, a GS 1100 in a 1100 lb. car rocks too.
Posted on: 2009/3/3 13:16

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I will probaby do my first track day this year on the bike!
Posted on: 2009/3/3 15:42

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Cool, hope you got leathers.
Posted on: 2009/3/3 23:45

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.