Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
274 user(s) are online (197 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Dana 44
This references the rear differential.

The Dana 36 was the smaller unit. It was used on all 1984 Corvettes, and all automatic Corvettes thru 1996...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

NC Kid Shiftlight install
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Raptor shiftlight, Automatic. I figured since I am changing stuff around, I should get the shiftlight due to the numerous responses on how slow and such a P.O.S. the stock tach is. Ground it, power source it, put into the ignition area. Would it be easier to do this with the interior panels/dash installed or take them out? It's very tiny. I am measuring it up on the A pillar. Not doing it in the AV vent or anything. Don't want to drill holes by the steering column area so the A pillar is the most logic place. Won't be noticable, I can still see it visably, and it will be out of the way.
Posted on: 2009/3/6 20:46
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

CentralCoaster Re: Shiftlight install
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

All the wires you need are below the dash. You should be able to feed them down there but if you can't, pulling the dash pad will make it easy.

Resized Image

Resized Image

Why don't you want it in the dash vent? I only had to drill two small holes in the side of the vent plastic a few inches back, one for the wire, 2nd for the mounting screw.
Posted on: 2009/3/6 21:37

bogus Re: Shiftlight install
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I question the logic in a stock A4 car... the transmission, thanks to the governor, knows when to shif.
Posted on: 2009/3/6 21:39

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

NC Kid Re: Shiftlight install
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Thats what I thought as well. Aardwolf said that the stock tach was a slow P.O.S. If I shift the gears manually, then the shiftlight should help? I thought this was beneficial...I know a transmission temp gauge is helpful. If it comes down to it, i can always return it or resell it. Raptor performance is 3 minutes from my house. They personally delivered the shiftlight to me.
Posted on: 2009/3/6 22:09

Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
All the wires you need are below the dash. You should be able to feed them down there but if you can't, pulling the dash pad will make it easy.

Resized Image

Resized Image

Why don't you want it in the dash vent? I only had to drill two small holes in the side of the vent plastic a few inches back, one for the wire, 2nd for the mounting screw.

Wouldn't it push up against the vent? More importantly, what about moisture? Wouldn't it be prone to condensation from the A.C. or the heat from running the heater in the winter? Saw that in CFs threads as well.
Posted on: 2009/3/6 22:10

BillH Re: Shiftlight install
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

NC Kid wrote:

Wouldn't it push up against the vent? More importantly, what about moisture? Wouldn't it be prone to condensation from the A.C. or the heat from running the heater in the winter? Saw that in CFs threads as well.

I work with a lot of shift lites and multiple shift lites in the dashes for the racecars.

IF the Raptor is affected by the heat & cold in a dash vent, it's a piece of chit. I'll bet it's not a POS. What you see on CF, you should ignore. Better yet, don't go there.

Don't worry, you'll be fine installing it anywhere.

Does Raptor have a web site?

BTW, my radar detector gets so hot in the windshield, it will almost burn your hand and it's 10 years old.
My GPS is mounted on a bracket thet clips into the vent louvers and sees a/c and heat all the ime.
Posted on: 2009/3/6 22:20

happydad Re: Shiftlight install
Senior Guru
northern Ill
151 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:

Resized Image

Resized Image

I have mine on my piller....Wakes ya up...
Posted on: 2009/3/6 22:58
86 Coupe,350 bored .040 over,Eagle Internals,Scorp RR.Crane Cam,Hedman Hedders,Holley Mani,TCI Trans,3:73 Rear, Demon Carb ,Hole in the hood Scooped and Lots of leaks(Horsepower) I forget :thumbleft:

mseven Re: Shiftlight install
Senior Guru
Motor City Madhouse
247 Posts

it's a decent shift light and the it won't be affected in from moisture etc. in the vent. Mine has been there for about 4 years now, and the wiring can also be feed direct to the distr. and or ecm if one chooses. On mine cutting is minimal and I used a small hole saw to cut the backing for it to go in deep enough. That side of the duct is seperated from the actual air of the vent.
[IMG]http://i39.tinypic.com/zk2u0h.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i42.tinypic.com/2a5179c.jpg[/IMG]
Posted on: 2009/3/7 14:08

flyboy Re: Shiftlight install
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

Regardless if I really need one or not, I'm putting this on my agenda.
Posted on: 2009/3/7 16:40

jhammons01 Re: Shiftlight install
Senior Guru
1044 Posts

^^If you do, put a micro switch somewhere to turn it off. Nothing like that light flashing at you while in a two hour stop and go traffic jam.........
Posted on: 2009/3/7 17:20

88BlackZ51 Re: Shiftlight install
Senior Guru
481 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:

Resized Image

Resized Image

I think I need one of those. Does the light come in any other colours? What about a black light? (joking).

Later!
Posted on: 2009/3/7 17:44

mseven Re: Shiftlight install
Senior Guru
Motor City Madhouse
247 Posts

Quote:

jhammons01 wrote:
^^If you do, put a micro switch somewhere to turn it off. Nothing like that light flashing at you while in a two hour stop and go traffic jam.........

no need and why would it be flashing in a stop and go traffic jam?
Posted on: 2009/3/7 21:31

CFI-EFI Re: Shiftlight install
Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

Quote:

jhammons01 wrote:
Do you really have a problem with a 6000 rpm (or what ever) shift light coming on and off in bumper to bumper traffic?

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2009/3/8 0:13

JrRifleCoach Re: Shiftlight install
Elite Guru
1524 Posts

Gonna make for some interesting driving though
Posted on: 2009/3/8 3:20
As democracy is perfected, the POTUS represents more closely the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day, the folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be occupied by a fool and narcissistic moron.

Danspeed1 Re: Shiftlight install
Elite Guru
Mooresville, North Carolina
1121 Posts

[IMG]http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r97/BG528/89%20Corvette%20For%20Sale/CorvetteForSalePhotos024.jpg[/IMG]

DG
Posted on: 2009/3/8 14:11
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

They're available in different colors. Red is probably the most functional. Blue costs a tad more because the LEDs need more power.

It only flashes on startup, plus you can always just close the vent off.

I contacted the guy who makes em, he said many people have installed them in vents and had no issues yet. I taped over the opening in the housing for the dip switches for good measure.

Cold air from the AC is humid, but has very little moisture. I know that makes no sense, but basically there's no way it could condense on the shift light if it's completely inside the duct. My ducts blow cold too, in the low 40s. But the car gets colder than that in some of the places I visit.

I have had intermittent issues recently with the tach not working properly above a certain RPM, and therefore not tripping the shift light. I think it's probably the signal though, I haven't diagnosed it yet.
Posted on: 2009/3/9 16:19

Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Ok so right now I found the white wire and tracked it to the distributor, grounded it out and am running power directly from the battery. IF something is wired wrong, it's not going to start a fire is it....I don't feel like having a burned car.......I also got blue as well. It is brighter than the rest according to the #s on the site BUT, the site says they are all the same to the naked eye. Red is most popular...Im also hooking up my A/F ratio gauge...Oxygen sensor to battery. Again, no fire chances here or what??????
Posted on: 2009/3/18 20:12

Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Ok so I got it mounted and grounded and in the tachometer. When I plug it into the ciggarette lighter power source the leds blink then it shuts off but I cant get it to light up on RPMs set it at 2000 and nope...its set to V8 as well....
Posted on: 2009/3/18 20:50

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

If you're running an unfused wire from the battery you have a chance of fire.

Tap it off the stereo power or stick an inline fuse on the wire you ran.
Posted on: 2009/3/18 20:51

Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
If you're running an unfused wire from the battery you have a chance of fire.

Tap it off the stereo power or stick an inline fuse on the wire you ran.

No, Wired it into the ciggarette lighter from the back. I don't use the lighter. Is that ok? Works fine now. Everythings nice and tucked away. :D
Posted on: 2009/3/18 21:35

Andrew Re: Shiftlight install
2013 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Jefferson City, MO
447 Posts

Quote:

mseven wrote:
it's a decent shift light and the it won't be affected in from moisture etc. in the vent. Mine has been there for about 4 years now, and the wiring can also be feed direct to the distr. and or ecm if one chooses. On mine cutting is minimal and I used a small hole saw to cut the backing for it to go in deep enough. That side of the duct is seperated from the actual air of the vent.
[IMG]http://i39.tinypic.com/zk2u0h.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i42.tinypic.com/2a5179c.jpg[/IMG]

Hey, that looks familiar! Works well and I don't think you will have to worry about the moisture.

[IMG]http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee251/awheel73_photo/1996%20Yellow%20LT4%20383/ShiftLight.jpg[/IMG]
Posted on: 2009/3/18 21:44

Sold - 1996 Competition Yellow LT4 - DRM 383, NX N2O, Line Lock, LT Headers, 3" stainless exhaust, Power Effects, and many more mods

SOLD 1996 Competition Yellow LT4
SOLD 1979 4 Speed with 383

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.