Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
169 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Windows in the C4
Both should move up and down, quietly and reasonably fast.

If a window does not work, this most likely means a bad motor, but check the fuse pane...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

CentralCoaster Blow me, Time Warner Cable and the rest of you junkmailers.
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I've been getting calls from these jerkoffs weekly, and junkmail from them maybe twice a week asking me to sign up for their latest service.

I already have their service. I get one addressed to me, and a duplicate of every junk mail addressed to "current resident".

I called last week to have my address removed. They said they pulled my name off the list, but as far as the duplicate junkmail, said they can't remove me from that list.

Just today a salesman even came to the door. I said I already had cable. He said "no, but the list says you don't. Bla bla bla...."

I'm sick of this crap. I've eliminated most of my junkmail, except from these clowns, and whatever junk for the neighbors the illiterate mailman puts in my box.

So my only resort is to save all this junkmail and send it back to the cable company along with my bill. Then they'll probably claim they didn't receive my payment.

I'm insulted by the fact that I don't have a right to my own privacy from unsolicited mail and visitors. Am I abnormal? It seems like nobody else cares about privacy anymore. Any corporation fishing for my pocketbook doesn't deserve a second of my time or courtesy. I thought the FCC and Supreme court had laws protecting us from this, but maybe I'm mistaken.
Posted on: 2009/3/27 1:15

TommyT-Bone Re: Blow me, Time Warner Cable and the rest of you junkmailers.
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33772 Posts

Take down your mailbox. Pay your bills automatically online. No more junkmail. Have your packages delivered UPS or Fed-Ex. Easy .......... Enjoy your privacy.
Posted on: 2009/3/27 1:29
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

CSS996 Re: Blow me, Time Warner Cable and the rest of you junkmailers.
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Call and cancel your cable subscription. Make sure to let a supervisor know why.
Posted on: 2009/3/27 1:49

BillH Re: Blow me, Time Warner Cable and the rest of you junkmailers.
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

No you're not abnormal, I feel the same way. What really pissed me off in the Charter Cable junkmail that says HGTV package for $39 a month for the first 6 months. WTF, then what? is it $200 a month after that? AND BTW, $9 amonth for HD access, $9/mo for a box, $9/mo to fund their junk mail.

Even on their website, you have to dig and dig to get the real price.
They act like fukin car salesman.
Posted on: 2009/3/27 2:14

CentralCoaster Re: Blow me, Time Warner Cable and the rest of you junkmailers.
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Some of you guys are missing the point.

I want cable (only because the bill is split 3 ways), and I want a mailbox (for receiving "mail").

Apparently there's some sort of do-not-mail form you can get from the post office that bans junkmail somehow, I'm not sure how that works. I guess the direct mailers have been fighting it for awhile now. Lucky for them most people just bend over and take it.

Does anyone actually respond to junkmail? I can recall one time where I bought some luggage due to a coupon that was in my credit card bill. That's it.
Posted on: 2009/3/27 4:37

bogus Re: Blow me, Time Warner Cable and the rest of you junkmailers.
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

We have TW here... and they are fine.

Had Comcast back in Delaware... ok... But Comcast in Sebring FL? Seriously incompetent.
Posted on: 2009/3/27 4:57

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

mikeV Re: Blow me, Time Warner Cable and the rest of you junkmailers.
Guru Newb
Top of the world Ma
158 Posts

www.privacyrights.org has some good info on this. Another is www.DirectMail.com, register on the National Do Not Mail list
Posted on: 2009/3/27 8:21

TommyT-Bone Re: Blow me, Time Warner Cable and the rest of you junkmailers.
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33772 Posts

Your still stuck with anything that says current resident or local flyers that everybody gets. You can't stop them. The ones from direct mail only helps for those who abide by their mailing standards. Funny things happen too when you donate to a needy organization. Then they feel they must contact you on a regular basis and share that info with other donation solicitors. I get regular requests from the ASPCA, Humane Society of the US and St Jude. I've seen others who dontate to one Saint based charitable cause and then get contacted by every Saint/Virgin organization on the planet. I was just offering a simple solution to a complex problem. Your right......... Cable companies suck.
Posted on: 2009/3/27 11:33

Matatk Re: Blow me, Time Warner Cable and the rest of you junkmailers.
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

Quote:

mikeV wrote:
www.privacyrights.org has some good info on this. Another is www.DirectMail.com, register on the National Do Not Mail list

I signed up on a site called dma choice - pretty much the same thing. I also got rid of the credit card/insurance offers through the credit bureaus.

https://www.dmachoice.org/

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/3/27 11:37

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:

Does anyone actually respond to junkmail?

Never, but I presort walking from the mailbox to the house and the junk doesn't get in the door.
The do not mail website looks intersting though.
Posted on: 2009/3/27 13:58

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I am off the direct-mail list, haven't yet removed myself from the creditor list. One piece of advice I had is to not file a permanent change of address with the post office. This puts you on lots of lists. It's best to file a temporary change of address, and then actually call and change it with the bills and other people you deal with.

Some people take the other route and sell out their privacy while cleverly taking every single bribe and freebie offered without paying anything. That would be a could way to discourage that sort of advertising, but it takes a lot of attention to pull it off without getting stuck with any bills.

I've watched many of these advertisements go from simply free-trial bribes, to intentionally misleading and destructive. Credit cards that offer you a free computer if you maintain a certain balance and make a minimum number of purchases every month, where it would be all but impossible to pay less interest than the cost of the computer. I've done ok on that front, my credit cards in all pay me about $25 each month, I pay them $0 while still charging ~$1500/mo.

Anyhow, I know there's organizations that you can pay to remove your junk mail, I guess I just like doing things myself and learning the process, even with the frustration.

Frankly I'm surprised with all the new age tree-huggers out there that this battle against waste isn't more popular.
Posted on: 2009/3/27 14:26

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

There's a form 1500 that you have to pick up at the post office, apparently hard to come by, but can be used to block mail from your box.

It's written as preventing "sexually oriented" mail but is actually used for any mail you define as unwanted. Probably not a coincidence that it's not readily available online.

http://www.usps.com/forms/_pdf/ps1500.pdf
Posted on: 2009/3/27 14:30

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Here is the Direct Marketing Association's website.

It's amusing to read their reasons for opposing legislation to create do-not-mail lists. Apparently it's a vote against consumerism and threatens jobs in advertising and postal services that support an industry that invades your privacy. Oh darn.

http://www.the-dma.org/donotmail/
Posted on: 2009/3/27 14:37

pianoguy Re: Blow me, Time Warner Cable and the rest of you junkmailers.
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
No you're not abnormal, I feel the same way. What really pissed me off in the Charter Cable junkmail that says HGTV package for $39 a month for the first 6 months. WTF, then what? is it $200 a month after that? AND BTW, $9 amonth for HD access, $9/mo for a box, $9/mo to fund their junk mail.

Even on their website, you have to dig and dig to get the real price.
They act like fukin car salesman.

If it makes you feel any better, Charter went bankrupt today.
Posted on: 2009/3/27 16:52

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

pianoguy wrote:

No chit? Are you serious? Ya know, if they would have been truthful in their advertising, I would have spent a lot more money with them.

And, I was thinking about going to them for internet cause that's all that's available here for hi speed.
Posted on: 2009/3/27 19:26

Dads90 Re: Blow me, Time Warner Cable and the rest of you junkmailers.
Guru
Pearland, Tx
318 Posts

Charter falls, I'm not surprised. I payed 80 bucks a month for internet for my daughter as school (Denton Tx). Called them each year about thier rates and they wouldn't budge. Always wanted me to do the phone,tv,internet thing for 120 bucks. Her senoir year I went with verizon for 40 bucks a month. Charter calls and wants me back for 29.99 a month. Thank God, I couldn't reach thru the phone, I tonguelashed the operator ( I know its not her fault ) and hung up. I still get their junk mail and phone calls. I know how you feel.
Posted on: 2009/3/27 19:41

BrianCunningham Re: Blow me, Time Warner Cable and the rest of you junkmailers.
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Posted on: 2009/3/27 20:27

pianoguy Re: Blow me, Time Warner Cable and the rest of you junkmailers.
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

pianoguy wrote:

No chit? Are you serious? Ya know, if they would have been truthful in their advertising, I would have spent a lot more money with them.

And, I was thinking about going to them for internet cause that's all that's available here for hi speed.

They're not out of business, just reorganizing to get out from under the mountain of debt:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Debt-lo ... ter-into-rb-14771626.html
Posted on: 2009/3/27 22:10

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.