Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
172 user(s) are online (115 user(s) are browsing Forums)

TommyT-Bone, more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  ZF6
A 6-speed manual transmission, standard from 1989 to 1996.

Very stout.

There are two distinct versions, the original “Black Tag,” 1989-E1...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

SpectatorRacing Is a C4 worth more than the sum of it's parts?
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

It's decision making time. There is more motor damage than hoped, the balancer bolt coming out was just the beginning. The ATI balancer hub is cracked and loose, most likely there is damage to the crank and probably the main bearings, etc. from the vibration.

I'm not interested in pumping more money into this car because I'm building a C5 for next season. The options as I see them are:

Fix it because it's worthless if it doesn't run (probably at least $2000).

Drop a stock motor back in and sell it for less, then possibly fix my beast of a motor and sell seperately later.

Part out the car. What's valuable on a C4?

Motor - TBD
Rear end $1000?
ZF6 - $1000?
Body panels?
There's not a lot left that's worth anything anymore.

Caged chassis are barely going for $2000 these days.
Posted on: 2009/3/30 15:25

CentralCoaster Re: Is a C4 worth more than the sum of it's parts?
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

ZF6- $600
Rear diff - $1000
Front and rear suspension - $1000
Bumpers maybe $150 each, doors $100 each with panels, hood $500?

Just a guess. Even at those prices it'll take some time to sell everything. "Oh dear those parts have been raced!"
Posted on: 2009/3/30 15:45

BrianCunningham Re: Is a C4 worth more than the sum of it's parts?
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Ah, so that's why you were so discouraging on the other thread.

Sorry to here.

Me, I like my car, so I'd just fix it.

right now asking money for anything is kinda hard.
Posted on: 2009/3/30 15:49
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

CentralCoaster Re: Is a C4 worth more than the sum of it's parts?
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Keep it at least until you're not angry at it, then decide if you still want it.

Money-wise you lose either way.

If you do get rid of it, sell it whole, probably be 10X easier.

"Excuse me sir can you tell me if your Corvette axle will fit my 1972 Chevy Luv, and will you take $100 for it? Also can you ship that to Madagascar?"
Posted on: 2009/3/30 16:03

jhammons01 Re: Is a C4 worth more than the sum of it's parts?
Senior Guru
1044 Posts

^^LOL that sounds accurate
Posted on: 2009/3/30 16:21

anesthes Re: Is a C4 worth more than the sum of it's parts?
Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Quote:

Motor - TBD
Rear end $1000?
ZF6 - $1000?
Body panels?
There's not a lot left that's worth anything anymore.

Caged chassis are barely going for $2000 these days.

'91+ car right?

I got $1200 for my '91 dash
ZF6 complete is worth about $1500. Seen 'em sell higher and lower
Front bumper, with 91+ lighting and crash bar is worth $450+
Rear about $150
Side moldings, if in good shape, are fetching around $75 a side.
Head lamps are $150 per side complete
Steering column $75-125 depending on condition
Inner fender wells go for around $80 side for '91+
Fenders $40
Rear end, if Dana44, $1000+
Top $100-400 depending on type and condition
Wheels $250+ if good condition

Misc underhood components will nickel and dime out on ebay to the tune of about $800 when you are done on the '91+ cars.

Doors are generally worthless, $100 / pair for stripped doors but the windows and motors go for good money on ebay $100 / side for components.

Door panels, if good, could be worth upwards of $150 / side for '90+ stuff

Front suspension, Complete $500
Rear suspension, Complete $500

I'd say around $8,000. You could probably have a firesale at 80% of that and still clear $6400. It takes about 30 hours give or take to strip a C4.

I just to make a killing parting out fbody's. Vettes still cost too much to be worth it in the parts business because everyones vette is 'priceless', but if you own the car you can make some good dough of it.

I didn't quote any type of price for the engine as a whole because, I don't have much luck with engines. Locally they sell usually for short money. when I would buy cars, I usually went after things that had a wrap so I could get it for cheap (under $500) and sell the rear/trans/interior/body.

I didn't quote a hood because, they are not worth shipping. You'll find a buyer willing to pay $300, but he won't be local.

-- Joe
Posted on: 2009/3/30 16:54

SpectatorRacing Re: Is a C4 worth more than the sum of it's parts?
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Thanks Joe and others...

I came up with about $6K as well. I didn't realize the suspension was worth anything, but I guess it makes sense. The only body panels left are the doors, and as stated they're not worth much. Plus, they're cut inside for the door bars so I guess they're worth nothing. The front bumper is beat up, the hood has a crack, and the rear bumper was once on fire...you get the idea. Nobody's going to use these parts on a street car. It's a true 50/50 car, looks great from 50 feet or at 50 mph.

Many of the race parts that are worth cash would probably be kept for the new car, so there's no money for them - accusump, nets and harnesses, guages, oil coolers, etc. The interior is long gone, the wiring harness is butchered.

I have a DeWitt's radiator, that may fetch $300. I have two PCM's, maybe $100 each. Lexan windows, another $250.

I think it's obvious that it has to be sold as a complete car. I think in this market it's fair to think I could get $10K, possibly more. It's my turn to be the guy that gets laughed as when his $50K race car goes for pennies. It's hit or miss; I see well set up race cars at bargain prices sit for months and then I see some douche buy a C4 with a harness bar and wide tires for $17K. I guess it's just finding the right buyer at the right time, now more than ever.

I'm not angry, just irritated. I spent all of last season making the damn thing reliable, and then have a freak issue and it was all for nothing. It could be simple, it could be a disaster in there, I won't know for sure until it's apart this weekend. Man, that motor was such a stout monster. I hate to not sell it with the car, but we'll just have to see. I just saw an LT1 on ebay for $760

Oh, and I do ship to Madagascar.
Posted on: 2009/3/30 17:32

anesthes Re: Is a C4 worth more than the sum of it's parts?
Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Quote:

SpectatorRacing wrote:
Thanks Joe and others...

I came up with about $6K as well. I didn't realize the suspension was worth anything, but I guess it makes sense. The only body panels left are the doors, and as stated they're not worth much. Plus, they're cut inside for the door bars so I guess they're worth nothing. The front bumper is beat up, the hood has a crack, and the rear bumper was once on fire...you get the idea. Nobody's going to use these parts on a street car. It's a true 50/50 car, looks great from 50 feet or at 50 mph.

Many of the race parts that are worth cash would probably be kept for the new car, so there's no money for them - accusump, nets and harnesses, guages, oil coolers, etc. The interior is long gone, the wiring harness is butchered.

I have a DeWitt's radiator, that may fetch $300. I have two PCM's, maybe $100 each. Lexan windows, another $250.

I think it's obvious that it has to be sold as a complete car. I think in this market it's fair to think I could get $10K, possibly more. It's my turn to be the guy that gets laughed as when his $50K race car goes for pennies. It's hit or miss; I see well set up race cars at bargain prices sit for months and then I see some douche buy a C4 with a harness bar and wide tires for $17K. I guess it's just finding the right buyer at the right time, now more than ever.

I'm not angry, just irritated. I spent all of last season making the damn thing reliable, and then have a freak issue and it was all for nothing. It could be simple, it could be a disaster in there, I won't know for sure until it's apart this weekend. Man, that motor was such a stout monster. I hate to not sell it with the car, but we'll just have to see. I just saw an LT1 on ebay for $760

Oh, and I do ship to Madagascar.

It's tough..

I have nearly 25k into mine, and I'd be happy to let it go for 10k. But even at that, no offers come my way..

For every guy on the forum who says how much C4's are worth, I say come buy mine then.

I'm at the point in my life that I'm not sure if I want a weekend back road cruiser, or a drag car. The vette is kind of in between, but with race parts it's not quite as well manered as you would like a cruiser to be, and with the IRS I'm concerned racing it will just result in an explosion.

Good luck!

-- Joe
Posted on: 2009/3/30 18:58

sidney004 Re: Is a C4 worth more than the sum of it's parts?
Guru Newb
Castro Valley, CA
15 Posts

If you do consider parting it, could you list your race only parts in more detail. What kind of brakes do you have? Good luck!
Posted on: 2009/3/30 21:57

TommyT-Bone Re: Is a C4 worth more than the sum of it's parts?
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33813 Posts

Quote:
Oh And I do ship to Madagascar

Nigeria? I have a guy who will send you a check for $20,000. He wants you to send him back $8000.
Posted on: 2009/3/30 22:18

BillH Re: Is a C4 worth more than the sum of it's parts?
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

SpectatorRacing wrote:
It's decision making time. There is more motor damage than hoped, the balancer bolt coming out was just the beginning. The ATI balancer hub is cracked and loose, most likely there is damage to the crank and probably the main bearings, etc. from the vibration.

Jon,Is the motor out of the car?
What's a rough guess of the hours with the vibration?

If the hours aren't many, the crank may be ok. Take it out and have a machineshop check it and repair the threads. Slap in all new bearings, mains & rods, new balancer and sell it as a racecar.

Parting it out, advertising, waiting on the idiots to pay for parts- A HUGE pain in the ass.
Posted on: 2009/3/30 22:26

dan0617 Re: Is a C4 worth more than the sum of it's parts?
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

I agree, fix it. If you part it out you will end up frustrated and upset at all the more money you got out of it. If you sell it as a whole you will end up upset at all the more money you got out of it. If you fix it you will end up happy. It's all in the oil IMO. If the oil doesn't have metal shavings then the bearings might even be fine. If they are hurt then the crank might be able to be turned and re-used. Either way, fixing it and keeping it will make you happier than parting it out or selling it.
Posted on: 2009/3/30 22:39

dan0617 Re: Is a C4 worth more than the sum of it's parts?
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

Is there a chance that the ATI balancer cracked and that is what made the bolt loose and subsequently come out? Maybe ATI will give you a new balancer at no cost, maybe there is no crank or bearing damage. Shooting from the hip but it is possible.
Posted on: 2009/3/30 22:41

Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Ok here's the latest, but first some answers to questions:

sidney - the list is long. If I go the parting out route I will take the time to write it. In a nutshell, it has a lot of very nice stuff in it. People use the term "no expense spared" too much, but back when I had money (I still remember those days ) I spent it on this car...

Bill - I've been speculating that perhaps the used aluminum flywheel I put on the car could be the culprit. An out of balance flywheel could be amplified 10x by the time it gets to the balancer. The irony will be thick (see my comment above to sidney) if the only free part I put on this car is the one that destroyed the other $13K put into the motor.

Dan - I'm coming around to your conclusion. Parting it out looks like I'll net 50 - 60% of the full car. The big costs are in the cage and such, and that's worth $0 parted out. Unfortunately I changed the oil over the winter before I knew the extent of this, so I can't check for metal. A quick shipment to Blackstone would have spoken volumes...blech.

So the new news is that with recent rule changes, primarily regarding weight reduction (and a lowering of the base C4 weight by 200 lbs) I can stuff this car into a lower class. It may be worth keeping it another season.
Posted on: 2009/3/31 14:45

BillH Re: Is a C4 worth more than the sum of it's parts?
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

SpectatorRacing wrote:

Bill - I've been speculating that perhaps the used aluminum flywheel I put on the car could be the culprit. An out of balance flywheel could be amplified 10x by the time it gets to the balancer. The irony will be thick (see my comment above to sidney) if the only free part I put on this car is the one that destroyed the other $13K put into the motor.

It's certainly possible. But, I've seen cranks survive some goofy shit and just screw up the bearings. I mean, I've had spun bearings on the racemotors I build that just required a polish to bring the crank back. I did hear the knock and shut it down before it ran too long.

You may never know the root cause. But you could ckeck the crank balance with the flywheel on. I always have the crank checked with the f/wheel and clutch assy on and put register marks on them for reassembly.
Posted on: 2009/4/1 1:04

BrianCunningham Re: Is a C4 worth more than the sum of it's parts?
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

I'm having mine balanced with the flywheel on it.

Are you running the stock un-keyed balancer?

What's the build on it.

Some LT engines were balanced on the fly do to issues.

Since the balancer is not keyed, putting it back on is a bit of a guessing game.
Posted on: 2009/4/1 2:19

Elite Guru
1721 Posts

We're going to check the crank by itself and then check the damper and the flywheel. Most likely I'll go back to a stock flywheel. The damper is an ATI aluminum one...weighs 3 lbs.

I am hopeful that the crank is in good shape, keep your fingers crossed. Of course most of this will be done next week when I'm in France, so updates will be infrequent
Posted on: 2009/4/1 12:38

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.