Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
294 user(s) are online (240 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Dana 44
This references the rear differential.

The Dana 36 was the smaller unit. It was used on all 1984 Corvettes, and all automatic Corvettes thru 1996...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Fluff Tuesday chat: 08/18/09
Senior Guru
Winchester UK & Alicante ES
247 Posts

Is anyone allowed to start this off?

I don't usually get involved in the daily chat as my side of the water is a bit irrelavent to you guys, but today..........!

Preamble:- I've had some kind of ear infection for two days, been to the doc each day because of excrusiating pain, then early this morning had to shoot down the ER because the ear was bleeding and in agony.

Anyway the point:- got given an injection, in the ass which I knew it was a biggy with anti-bio, anti-inflam & steroid ampules all mixed in. Then as a took a few steps outta the ER there was a worst pain than my ear, now in my backside and I all but collapsed with a numb ass/leg (great the cure is worst than the illness!). To top it all I couldn't get back in the vette because I couldn't bend one leg and if I had of got in I wouldn't have been able to sit down. Finished up climbing in the back window and the missus driving me home whilst I laid in luggage space with my feet/legs hanging out the back........ good job it was 3:00 in the morning.

No don't ask!
Posted on: 2009/8/18 5:27
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Matatk Re: Tuesday chat: 08/18/09
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Good Morning CGs!

Fluff - of course, anyone is welcome to kick off chat! I just usually do it because I'm up earlier than most. In a couple weeks, I will actually be unable to start chat anymore because my schedule is changing and I will be working afternoons. So chat away!

BTW, sorry to hear about your ear issues (no pun inended). I'm sure that's *extremely* painful. I hope you are feeling in tip-top shape soon!

As far as it goes with me, I did quite a few chores yesterday on my day off. Went to the paint store, finished repairing the neighbor's truck, worked in the yard, got in a workout, and even went swimming. Water was a little cold, but I feel bad not using the pool all summer. Was kind of nice, too.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/8/18 11:38

pianoguy Re: Tuesday chat: 08/18/09
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Ouch! Ears are nothing to mes with, hope you're feeling better soon, Fluff!

Looks like we'll soon be able to talk about Matt all morning ;-)
Posted on: 2009/8/18 12:37

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

biggrizzly Re: Tuesday chat: 08/18/09
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Good Mornin' Gurus

Fluff - Ouch, that ear sounds painfull and the butt too!
Hope you mend quickly.

Not much going on here today... I drove the Vette again. I just can't get enough and I hate leaving it sit in the garage. I know in a year or two I'll have to go back over it again and make it look like new again from all the road rash that it gets while driving in and around Washington D.C. area highways. I have been putting off getting it ready for Carlisle because I like driving it so much and the weather has been pretty good latey.

I have been sucked in by Facebook. Lots of fun finding all my old buddies and friends online. If you haven't checked it out you should give it a try at least once. Might not be your cup of tea, but its neat making the connections.

Cheers - Have a nice day all
Posted on: 2009/8/18 12:53

Epimax Re: Tuesday chat: 08/18/09
Elite Guru
Wilmington, NC
1814 Posts

Hope you get to feeling better Fluff...

SOS here. Trying to decide on whether or not to make the move to MO. It's back and forth, stay or go...If I keep this up, I'm going to have a damn stroke and it'll be irrelevant!
I go out to see the place next week, so maybe after I have a look see and meet the people I'd be working with, I'll have a better idea. Been looking at rentals homes too. Let me say that is's hard to find something that's big enough for all our stuff AND 2 golden retrievers. Garage is a must too! Do have a few prospects already though, just in case I decide to hit the 'go' button!

Hope everybody has a good day!
Posted on: 2009/8/18 12:56

Epimax Re: Tuesday chat: 08/18/09
Elite Guru
Wilmington, NC
1814 Posts

Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:

I have been sucked in by Facebook. Lots of fun finding all my old buddies and friends online. If you haven't checked it out you should give it a try at least once. Might not be your cup of tea, but its neat making the connections.

I got sucked into it too a few weeks ago. My wife is always on there, so I finally gave in to see what the fuss was all about! I've found a few people on there, but I'm not all that active on the site. It's kinda neat though!
Posted on: 2009/8/18 12:58

TommyT-Bone Re: Tuesday chat: 08/18/09
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:
Anyone is welcome to kick off chat! I just usually do it because I'm up earlier than most. In a couple weeks, I will actually be unable to start chat anymore because my schedule is changing and I will be working afternoons.

No way Matt ......... Chat kickoff just wouldn't be the same without you. So I guess we'll just have to wait till you get up a little later in the day.
Posted on: 2009/8/18 13:10

Fluff Re: Tuesday chat: 08/18/09
Senior Guru
247 Posts

Thanks for the sympathy everyone.

Without meaning to be gross, I've never known green crap mixed with blood to come out of ears, nuff detail.

It's a bit worrying cause I'm supposed to be running sound for a local band in a few days and I don't thinks I've a dogs chance of wearing h/phones- IEM. And as an experiment I had a blast on the sax today and the tone sounds right off. I just hoping I haven't stuffed an ear drum or something.

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
No way Matt ......... Chat kickoff just wouldn't be the same without you. So I guess we'll just have to wait till you get up a little later in the day.

Oooops..... sorry then Tommy, didn't mean to intrude.
Posted on: 2009/8/18 13:22

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Nah Fluff, anyone can open. I'm just not letting Matt off the hook.

Earache? Earache my eye ...... Feel better Fluff.
Posted on: 2009/8/18 16:15

Senior Guru
247 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
Nah Fluff, anyone can open. I'm just not letting Matt off the hook.

Earache? Earache my eye ...... Feel better Fluff.

Thought you'd already barred me when the server went down!

Gotcha Tommy. Seeing as I'm 6-7 hours in front, post his telephone number and I'll give him a wake up call in the mornings :sleepy1:

Thanks.
Posted on: 2009/8/18 16:37

pianoguy Re: Tuesday chat: 08/18/09
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

LOL
Posted on: 2009/8/18 16:39

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Sweet90 Re: Tuesday chat: 08/18/09
Elite Guru
Edmonton, Alberta
1143 Posts

Quote:

Fluff wrote:
Finished up climbing in the back window and the missus driving me home whilst I laid in luggage space with my feet/legs hanging out the back........ good job it was 3:00 in the morning.

No don't ask!

Now that would have been a good video Fluff.
Hope you mend soon, and we won't crack any SMART ASS jokes until you're better...oops... sorry for being a dumb ass...damn

Jim
Posted on: 2009/8/18 16:51

Senior Guru
247 Posts

Sweet90 wrote:
Quote:

Hope you mend soon, and we won't crack any SMART ASS jokes until you're better...oops... sorry for being a dumb ass...damn

Jim

Don't know abot a vid Jim, it would have been a night in jail if the Guardia Civil had seen me, they are all of unknown parentage!.

Thanks for not eluding to the problem, my rear end still hurts 15 hrs later, but it distracted me from my ear'ole!
Posted on: 2009/8/18 17:15

Elite Guru
Edmonton, Alberta
1143 Posts

Quote:

Fluff wrote:
Quote:

Sweet90 wrote:
[quote]

Jim

Don't know abot a vid Jim, it would have been a night in jail if the Guardia Civil had seen me, they are all of unknown parentage!.

Thanks for not eluding to the problem, my rear end still hurts 15 hrs later, but it distracted me from my ear'ole!

I'm known for being discreet Cheers

Jim
Posted on: 2009/8/18 17:17

bastet44 Re: Tuesday chat: 08/18/09
Webmaster
San Pedro, CA
1389 Posts

Good morning, Gurus!

Not feeling so great this morning, so I'm gonna go lay down with a document that I need to edit, and hopefully get a little work done.
Posted on: 2009/8/18 17:20

bastet44 Re: Tuesday chat: 08/18/09
Webmaster
San Pedro, CA
1389 Posts

Word of the Day for Tuesday, August 18, 2009

propitious
\pruh-PISH-uhs\, adjective:

1. Presenting favorable circumstances or conditions.
2. Favorably inclined; gracious; benevolent.
Posted on: 2009/8/18 17:20

CSS996 Re: Tuesday chat: 08/18/09
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Good Day Gurus!

I was a bit concerned this morning when I couldn't access the site. Glad that's fixed. Withdrawal symptoms set in quickly...

Dang Fluff, that sounds quite painful. But the image of you arse down in the boot with your legs in the breeze is rather comical. Good thing the missus is up to the task of driving the beastie. My wife would not appreciate driving mine.

Here's hoping you get sorted quickly.

I had the pleasure of taking my youngest son to Kindergarten orientation this morning. One in college, one in Kindergarten, and one in fifth grade. Quite a spread, eh?

Enjoy your day, Gurus!

Get well soon, bastet. Sorry to hear of your loss.
Posted on: 2009/8/18 17:27

Elite Guru
Edmonton, Alberta
1143 Posts

Quote:

CSS996 wrote:
Good Day Gurus!

I had the pleasure of taking my youngest son to Kindergarten orientation this morning.

Kindergarten orientation, really?? Christ, I think on my first day, my parents walked me to the front door of the school and said adios. Could explain a few things though.

Jim
Posted on: 2009/8/18 17:33

joeld Re: Tuesday chat: 08/18/09
Guru
Lawrenceville Ga
718 Posts

Good afternoon now!
Hey Fluff, you could always try that ear remedy of letting someone pee into it! Good luck.
I've put about 200 bucks in my pool so far this year, that's about 40 for each swim!
Going to get some BBQ for lunch do some "house" chores.

Have a good day
Joel
Posted on: 2009/8/18 17:36

teebee Re: Tuesday chat: 08/18/09
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12369 Posts

Fluff, I can relate to your ear problems, our youngest daughter is legally deaf in one ear because of infections. I've seen the blood and green junk running out of the ear before and believe me I remember the days of her crying and pain. God be with you.

I just had a break in the meetings here at school. you know, I spent all summer thinking about retirement and what to do (I'm eligible after this school year), and I thought that I would go ahead and retire, and in Kansas, it is possible to "double dip". I figured that I would do just that...retire and then double dip for a year or two, but after the first ten minutes of our first meeting yesterday (with all staff in the district) our superintendent had nothing but gloom and doom about this school year and the next two after...that pretty much did it for me. I'm going to find something else to do after I retire in June. Walmart greeter comes to mind pretty quick. It is just insane what education has become over the last 30 years. I keep saying to our administration that they should leaves us alone and let us do what we were originally hired to do and things would be straightened out in no time. I guess it is just time to get out.

I feel sorry for our children today, education is only a flicker of what it used to be. When I retire I doubt seriously whether they will even try to replace me..first off there isn't anyone to take my place...thirty-some openings in the state in my area (VocEd, woodworking and drafting/design) and the colleges and universities only turned out 6 graduates to take the places. and secondly with the financial situation of our economy, it would be a huge savings to just close down the Vocational programs.

OK, sorry for the book, I'm just really down about this situation.
Posted on: 2009/8/18 19:25

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

CSS996 Re: Tuesday chat: 08/18/09
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

That's a bummer teebee. It would be nice if you were free to teach the curriculum you trained/worked so hard to master.

And to think they might just shut the whole thing down when you leave is pretty sad...

Maybe the Doom and Gloom is too much of one or two people's opinion, and not enough fact. Perhaps there is a happier person around who could give you a better feeling about the changes. Sometimes presentation makes a big difference.

Best of luck, whatever you end up doing.
Posted on: 2009/8/18 19:52

Vetron87 Re: Tuesday chat: 08/18/09
Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

teebee:I'm thinking this is my last year of teaching also...My School Corp has closed down our Vocational Auto Shop, machine shop, welding leaving only CAD and Woodshop. The administrators feel that hands on skill based classes need to be replaced by tech programs. I'm the last of the dinosaurs left teaching woodshop. The funny thing is our administration can not even pound a nail in wall and have not taught in the classroom for twenty years. My frustration level is big time since my Industrial arts dept.is a dumping ground for the unteachable gangbanger wannabes. My frustration reliever are my American muscle cars and beloved vette. Sorry about the unstressing... when I retire school officials want to turn my woodshop into a senior commons. :greenbounce:
Posted on: 2009/8/18 23:31

Senior Guru
247 Posts

teebee, thanks for the 'ear' wishes, sorry to learn about your daughter. Having experienced the pain I can imagine how heartbreaking it must have been to see your daughter crying with it and then to loose the hearing, that is sad. I hope she is free from the infections now.

I really don't know anything about the American education system, I didn't even have much education in the UK, but luckily I learned a lot from life and on my own. Today on the UK news channels they have been referring to a new term that I haven't heard before (don't know if it's in the US) called NEET which stands for 'N'ot in 'E'ducation, 'E'mployment or 'T'raining and refers to one in six (15.9 per cent) 16 to 24-year-olds now in the UK, 119,000 more than last year, when the figure stood at 840,000 (14 per cent).

To my un-educated way of thinking, now (during the current recession) is the time to educate & train the youngsters, otherwise our 'so called' developed countries are going to be left behind when the economy picks up again. In the UK we lost all of our manufacturing from the 70's on, purely because we sat on our bums arrogant complacency.

Sounds like I'm not much happier than CSS996, but I too hope whatever you decide works well for you.
Posted on: 2009/8/18 23:38

crash Re: Tuesday chat: 08/18/09
Guru
WRIGHT CITY MO 63390
977 Posts

Quote:

Fluff wrote:
teebee, thanks for the 'ear' wishes, sorry to learn about your daughter. Having experienced the pain I can imagine how heartbreaking it must have been to see your daughter crying with it and then to loose the hearing, that is sad. I hope she is free from the infections now.

I really don't know anything about the American education system, I didn't even have much education in the UK, but luckily I learned a lot from life and on my own. Today on the UK news channels they have been referring to a new term that I haven't heard before (don't know if it's in the US) called NEET which stands for 'N'ot in 'E'ducation, 'E'mployment or 'T'raining and refers to one in six (15.9 per cent) 16 to 24-year-olds now in the UK, 119,000 more than last year, when the figure stood at 840,000 (14 per cent).

To my un-educated way of thinking, now (during the current recession) is the time to educate & train the youngsters, otherwise our 'so called' developed countries are going to be left behind when the economy picks up again. In the UK we lost all of our manufacturing from the 70's on, purely because we sat on our bums arrogant complacency.

Sounds like I'm not much happier than CSS996, but I too hope whatever you decide works well for you.

i feel for you fluff. i have the same problem if i go swimming. my right ear has what they call a swimmers ear. some how water gets trapped in it and man is it painful. it was so bad one time that just walking i almost passed out from the pain. when i did get it the doctor would litterly douse it with a syrenge and it hurt so damn bad that i almost pissed my pants. but after a split sec it would be over and out came the green puss and blood. needless to say i dodnt get in the water very often
Posted on: 2009/8/19 0:38

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Retirement. Jump in boys, the water is fine. Make sure you wear earplugs. I worried about it, pondered it, thought I might have made a mistake about it and now I can hardly find the time to enjoy it. There is no sitting around if you don't want to. You guys have skills that you can translate to $$$. Or you can be like me and spend loads of time doing stuff and not making a dime. At least not directly. Leave the establishment behind. You've done your time. Enjoy the freedoms you worked so hard to achieve. Treat yourself well. You've earned it.
Posted on: 2009/8/19 2:19

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

bastet44 wrote:
Word of the Day for Tuesday, August 18, 2009

propitious
\pruh-PISH-uhs\, adjective:

1. Presenting favorable circumstances or conditions.
2. Favorably inclined; gracious; benevolent.

That's it. That's it. Steve Miller was singing about the propitious of love. He just flubbed up the lyrics.
Posted on: 2009/8/19 2:22

Lakin, Kansas 67860
12369 Posts

Quote:

Vetron87 wrote:
teebee:I'm thinking this is my last year of teaching also...My School Corp has closed down our Vocational Auto Shop, machine shop, welding leaving only CAD and Woodshop. The administrators feel that hands on skill based classes need to be replaced by tech programs. I'm the last of the dinosaurs left teaching woodshop. The funny thing is our administration can not even pound a nail in wall and have not taught in the classroom for twenty years. My frustration level is big time since my Industrial arts dept.is a dumping ground for the unteachable gangbanger wannabes. My frustration reliever are my American muscle cars and beloved vette. Sorry about the unstressing... when I retire school officials want to turn my woodshop into a senior commons. :greenbounce:

Thank goodness no gangbangers here, one of the perks for teaching in a small school (about 200, 9-12). Way too much emphasis on crap, not enough on our subjects. I've got a good principal, but the super is a doom and gloom guy, has been since day one. I get notice today that once a week I have to teach a Math or an English state indicator, WTF? I'm not a trained math or English teacher and what about my subject area, doesn't it mean anything? Total BS........

I do custom cabinetry and furniture building on the side, (because teaching has always been much lacking on the financial side) to help make ends meet. Now with the kids grown up and married, we have become more financially secured (that's how I can afford the Corvette). I plan on using that to supplement my retirement pension.

Fluff, my daughter is 27 and has pretty much outgrown her problem, three operations later, still legally deaf in that ear, but functions like a normal person, if you didn't know it...well you wouldn't know it.
Posted on: 2009/8/19 2:28

Resized Image

Lakin, Kansas 67860
12369 Posts

Quote:
To my un-educated way of thinking, now (during the current recession) is the time to educate & train the youngsters, otherwise our 'so called' developed countries are going to be left behind when the economy picks up again.

Fluff, I can see where you are correct in your thinking.

Quote:
Retirement. Jump in boys, the water is fine. Make sure you wear earplugs. I worried about it, pondered it, thought I might have made a mistake about it and now I can hardly find the time to enjoy it. There is no sitting around if you don't want to. You guys have skills that you can translate to $$$. Or you can be like me and spend loads of time doing stuff and not making a dime. At least not directly. Leave the establishment behind. You've done your time. Enjoy the freedoms you worked so hard to achieve. Treat yourself well. You've earned it.

Thanks Tommy, I think you are right. We do have the skills and we have earned it.

Quote:
Maybe the Doom and Gloom is too much of one or two people's opinion, and not enough fact. Perhaps there is a happier person around who could give you a better feeling about the changes. Sometimes presentation makes a big difference.

Chris you are right, presentation is critical, and our super doesn't do it well at all and then he brings everyone down. Maybe it's not as bad as he lets on but he's going to make it that bad for us anyway.
Posted on: 2009/8/19 2:39

Resized Image

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.