Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
277 user(s) are online (229 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

pianoguy Has anybody tried an MSD ignition box?
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Like this:

http://www.msdignition.com/product.aspx?id=5795

Saw one for sale over at CF, and it piqued my curiosity.
Posted on: 2009/9/5 18:57

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: Has anybody tried an MSD ignition box?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Don't bother. It will only arc weld your cap/rotor.
Posted on: 2009/9/5 20:10

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

383tpimachine Re: Has anybody tried an MSD ignition box?
Master Guru
Corpus Christi
976 Posts

Alot of people are running them. I will be running the 6AL-2 box. It has a rev limiter and a two step.
Posted on: 2009/9/5 22:19

anesthes Re: Has anybody tried an MSD ignition box?
Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Quote:

pianoguy wrote:
Like this:

http://www.msdignition.com/product.aspx?id=5795

Saw one for sale over at CF, and it piqued my curiosity.

This comes up a lot.

Seems like, 30% guys think they add tons of horsepower, 60% of guys don't think they do anything because they don't understand them, and 10% guys know what the uses are.

Without going into the tech behind a single coil engine running to 6500 rpm and beyond, dwell, voltage drop, and all that I'll say there is no benefit unless your running a high compression ratio motor (or forced induction) and spinning above 6000 RPM.

-- Joe
Posted on: 2009/9/6 0:10

PeteK Re: Has anybody tried an MSD ignition box?
Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

I have tried 3 or 4 of them. They seem to fail almost immediately after the warrantee ends.
Posted on: 2009/9/6 0:30

BeachBum Re: Has anybody tried an MSD ignition box?
Master Guru
751 Posts

I have run 2 of them.... both failed, the first lasted a year, the 2nd last 3 months.... I gave up on it.(MSD 6AL) My timeslip didn't show any difference either on my 6000 rpm application.
Posted on: 2009/9/6 1:06

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3933547 ... chevrolet-corvette/page-1

pianoguy Re: Has anybody tried an MSD ignition box?
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Thanks for the feedback - sounds like there's plenty of better uses for my money!
Posted on: 2009/9/6 1:47

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

RedGut86 Re: Has anybody tried an MSD ignition box?
Guru Newb
36 Posts

I got lucky I guess and got a whole setup with billet distributor for 200 or so. I wanted to get it so I could use the rev-limiter so I don't have to sweat the rpm when I leave the car in 1st gear for auto-crosses.

Been about 3 years and knock on wood, no issues yet.

I wouldn't say it gives power, but piece of mind and the 6AL-2 2step would be nice.
Posted on: 2009/9/6 5:12

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

PeteK wrote:
I have tried 3 or 4 of them. They seem to fail almost immediately after the warrantee ends.

I have to agree. I see a lot of that around the forums.

There was even a thread here recently where the poster was having issue; most recommended removing the MSD box and it ran fine without.

NASCAR does use the MSD... but they are sustained at high RPM and with high compression. Also note, several times a year, we hear of them having to swap over to their back up ignition... I don't think that bodes well for the product. I would expect a NASCAR team to use two new ones every week or two... but one still fails.

With the Opti, I don't like the idea. If you are going to be running that much RPM sustained, I would suggest LTCC or DelTeq and a Dynaspark without rotor.
Posted on: 2009/9/6 15:58

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

I was just hoping it would help smooth out the idle a little, and perhaps increase MPG - I don't spend much time north of 6000 rpm.
Posted on: 2009/9/6 16:03

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Get new injectors. The Multecs that GM used are junk.
Posted on: 2009/9/6 18:28

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

I already have the Bosch III's in there - I'm just spoiled by how smooth it used to idle before the HotCam install.
Posted on: 2009/9/6 18:32

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

uh, forget it.
Posted on: 2009/9/6 18:33

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

It's actually not too bad now - guess I'll put that money toward getting my canvas top fitted.
Posted on: 2009/9/6 18:46

anesthes Re: Has anybody tried an MSD ignition box?
Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Quote:

PeteK wrote:

I had one that lasted about 8 years, but when it failed at the track everyone thought my car exploded.

Fuel loaded up, one last spark, BANG, rolled to a stop.

I use mallory hi-fire now. Same idea, but digital.

-- Joe
Posted on: 2009/9/6 23:43

Josh Re: Has anybody tried an MSD ignition box?
Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

I use a Mallory Hyfire 685. The only reason I use it is for the built it window switch and timing retard for nitrous. The car is no faster with it, it doesn't idle better, and has no other desirable characteristics.

On initial install, I mounted it under the hood and it failed in about 2 weeks. The replacement failed in about 2 weeks, in the same location, under the hood. I moved the third one to the storage compartment behind the passenger seat and haven't had a problem with it in 4 years.
Posted on: 2009/9/7 14:34

dan0617 Re: Has anybody tried an MSD ignition box?
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

I run a Crane hi-6 CD box. Love the rev limiter, and I have the TRC-2 timing retard set up through the nitrous switch so when I hit the spray the timing automatically retards. This thing has kept the car running with carboned up plugs from a bad tune so bad I couldn't believe it was still sparking. It drove me home from the track with no ground straps on the spark plugs at all, must have been sparking off the tops of the pistons or the sides of the spark plugs, but it got me home fine.

It is mounted under the hood behind the passenger side tire. I bought it used, put it in, and for 2 years it has worked flawlessly. Guess I'm just lucky, but it hasn't failed me yet.

Only MSD products I have is a remote mount coil, and it is working fine. I had a MSD window switch for the nitrous and it was a cheaply built pain in the ass that I had constant problems with. I ripped it out and all has been fine ever since.
Posted on: 2009/9/7 16:12

pr0zac Re: Has anybody tried an MSD ignition box?
Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

Quote:

Josh wrote:
I use a Mallory Hyfire 685. The only reason I use it is for the built it window switch and timing retard for nitrous. The car is no faster with it, it doesn't idle better, and has no other desirable characteristics.

On initial install, I mounted it under the hood and it failed in about 2 weeks. The replacement failed in about 2 weeks, in the same location, under the hood. I moved the third one to the storage compartment behind the passenger seat and haven't had a problem with it in 4 years.
i have the same box and same issue. its cause they can't get wet at all.. its is loaded with features for the price..
Posted on: 2009/9/9 17:51

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.