Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
116 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  4L80E
Automatic Transmission - 4 Speed

1st Gear: 2.43
2nd Gear: 1.49
3rd Gear: 1.00
4th Gear: 0.75

Reverse: 2.07

- Used in production GM models...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

bogus We went target shooting yesterday...
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I wanted to try something new... so I tried one of these:

Resized Image

It's the first time I have ever shot a 1911. Very VERY nice indeed. Sure, it's about as accurate as a straw and spitball, but the entire experience is really cool. Well balanced, not much kick (at least compared to a .44 mag!) and good control.

Now... I am gonna have to get one... crap.

At least rentals were cheap enough... $10.00 + ammo.
Posted on: 2009/9/28 3:39

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Epimax Re: We went target shooting yesterday...
Elite Guru
Wilmington, NC
1814 Posts

Very Nice!
Posted on: 2009/9/28 10:24

crash Re: We went target shooting yesterday...
Guru
WRIGHT CITY MO 63390
977 Posts

hey andy if you are going to buy a 45 acp look at the colt gold cup. if you can find one. i had one back in the 80's. i used to shoot at bowling pin matches with it. the gun shot excellant and very accurate. back then it cost about 500.00 new. i reloaded my match loads myself.
Posted on: 2009/9/28 11:20

Vetron87 Re: We went target shooting yesterday...
Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Hey Andy get a Kimber .45 comes complete accurized barrel great sights!! Glocks have same 1911 feel. Hard to believe the 1911 is reaching 100 years old Colts are great as longer as you use standard military ball ammo!! start running hollow points they will stove pipe on you(jamb).. Been there done that!! Ron
Posted on: 2009/9/28 11:39

Matatk Re: We went target shooting yesterday...
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

1911's can be very good and accurate guns. Depends on a lot of factors, just like anything else. Kind of like if you rent a geo metro and say "it just wasn't that fast" then say "cars aren't fast because the one I rented wasn't". Most gun rental shop pistols are poorly maintained, and a lot of them are bottom level guns to begin with. Problem is, once you shoot one of the $1200 1911s, you'll want one....lol.

So where are the pictures of your targets?

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/9/28 11:40

BrianCunningham Re: We went target shooting yesterday...
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

I love shooting a 1911, great feel to them.
Posted on: 2009/9/28 13:30

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Marine Force Recon/Navy SEALS are going back to the .45, mainly because of it its knock down power// 9mm takes 1-3 shots to drop a bad guy, especially with winter clothes on..
Posted on: 2009/9/28 15:34

Durango_Boy Re: We went target shooting yesterday...
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Quote:

Vetron87 wrote:
Marine Force Recon/Navy SEALS are going back to the .45, mainly because of it its knock down power// 9mm takes 1-3 shots to drop a bad guy, especially with winter clothes on..

I'm sorry but most everything you say is being lost because we're all trying to picture your neighbor's wife's tatas. Please post pics of said wife so we can all get back to reading and comprehending what you type.
Posted on: 2009/9/28 15:57

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Picture PURKY!! 38D's See how I related ammo i.e .38 Caliber to 38D...Face is average..But her legs go to her Neck. She's married to Camaro Guy!!!
Posted on: 2009/9/28 23:50

CSS996 Re: We went target shooting yesterday...
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Colt .45 ACP. I'm a fan. Kinda like Corvettes. They need a little love outta the box, but set it up right, and look out!

I had an enhanced stainless Colt Government model. Bought it new in '96. Loved it, but traded it for a stainless Ruger Mini-14 and a hundred bucks.

I still have a 1991 (not a typo) A1 Commander. Was parkerized, but had it blued. A few custom parts from the Wilson catalog.

Someday I hope to find an Ultimate Bright Stainless, enhanced Officer's model. I like the compact dimensions of that bugger.

My 1991 is plenty accurate at combat distances. Say, from my bedroom door to the end of the hall. But I should have a shotgun for that. I'd hate to put one through the living room wall, into the Vette.

I sure do miss shooting with my buddy back in Pennsylvania.
Posted on: 2009/9/29 1:00

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

In Vietnam the Navy issued us Smith And Wesson Model 39-9mm was not very reliable and did'nt fair well with the humidity. The Marine Corp. got a hold of WWII .45 Colts brand new.. accurized them with a bushing and aftermarket barrel and sear. They had the knock down power and intimation factor. NVA and Vietcong hated the .45. We used the M-14 and the .45 helped in confidence deep in Cambodia.. Never used the M16 reliablity problems and powder issues. The barrel on new .45 will last approx 6,000 rounds.
Posted on: 2009/9/29 3:12

tjpreul Re: We went target shooting yesterday...
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

That's why I like living in Missouri. High powered rifles, conceal and carry and your back yard can be your shooting range.

The 1911 is a very nice sturdy gun.
Posted on: 2009/9/29 3:48

rklessdriver Re: We went target shooting yesterday...
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Andy,
When you get ready for a 1911 you should look at buying a new COLT. COLT has numerouse 1911's that come in under $1000.00 (retail) and you can do much better than retail at some shops (I'm not sure about in Cali thou). A real COLT 1911 is without a doubt, the one pistol that will be in your collection for life.

Kimber, Springer, DW ect can all make a nice pistol. I've owned most all of them over the years and only had one bad one (a Kimber Tactical Pro II).

In the past 2 yrs I've sold off all of my 1911's that didn't say COLT (except my Les Baer Premier II) and not regreted it.

I've also bought 2 new COLT's this year.

COLT 80 Series Commander ($730.00).

[IMG]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f303/rklessdriver/Weapons/Colt_Commander.jpg[/IMG]

COLT Combat Elite ($989.00).

[IMG]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f303/rklessdriver/Weapons/ColtCombatElite.jpg[/IMG]

My old COLT 70 Series Government Model. Yes, even this old horse will still hold the X ring.

[IMG]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f303/rklessdriver/Weapons/DSC00968.jpg[/IMG]

I own a lot of firearms, but the 1911's hold a really special place in my heart.
Will
Posted on: 2009/9/29 16:40

1972 Corvette. LS5 454 BBC with M20 4 speed.
Best Pass - Doing good to just pass a gas station.

88BlackZ51 Re: We went target shooting yesterday...
Senior Guru
481 Posts

Target shooting is alot of fun....

I love shooting my glock. In my opinion it's one of the best hand guns in the world. It has never jamned with thousands of rounds.
Posted on: 2009/9/29 17:15

CSS996 Re: We went target shooting yesterday...
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

I think Glocks are ugly as hell. But if I was carrying a weapon on a daily basis to protect my life (as in law enforcment) I believe I would carry a Glock or a Sig.

But since I don't, I love the look and feel of a 1911. It's a timeless classic.

rkless, I am envious of your collection.
Posted on: 2009/9/29 21:44

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Glocks will never win a beauty contest, they are butt ugly, after saying that! They are totally reliable, take a abuse,I've read articles where 250,000 rounds have been ingested no failures, Special hammered barrel. Out of my collection in a crisis I would reach for my Glock first, Heckler Koch 2nd and Colt 3rd Beretta 4th. Cars and guns,its a guy thing as I watch dancing with the stars with my wife. :thumbright:
Posted on: 2009/9/30 1:20

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Quote:

Durango_Boy wrote:
Quote:

Vetron87 wrote:

I'm sorry but most everything you say is being lost because we're all trying to picture your neighbor's wife's tatas. Please post pics of said wife so we can all get back to reading and comprehending what you type.

Yea I know Matthew!!Sorry about that!! I have bad habit of letting brain wander when I write.. Need Tata contest!! Isn't a Tata a new car from India!!!( see how mind wanders) You should see what happens in our faculty meetings at school. Principal is real serious about some school law B.S. asks is there any questions? (no inner monolog) I say Yea I thinking of ceramic tile in the kitchen what ya think???He has no sense of humor!!! Staff goes nuts!!
Posted on: 2009/9/30 1:39

bogus Re: We went target shooting yesterday...
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

CSS996 wrote:
I think Glocks are ugly as hell. But if I was carrying a weapon on a daily basis to protect my life (as in law enforcment) I believe I would carry a Glock or a Sig.

But since I don't, I love the look and feel of a 1911. It's a timeless classic.

rkless, I am envious of your collection.

The only thing is, the 1911 has proven itself reliable for nearly 100 years. That says something.

I don't know if I will go Colt or Kimber... hard to say at this point. That 1911 I fired was badged Springfield...
Posted on: 2009/9/30 4:07

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.