Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
175 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  New Hampshire Motor Speedway
This is the new name for New Hampshire International Speedway.

Also known as NHMS....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

jaa1992 PSA - CHANGE YOUR BRAKE FLUID!!
Guru
Stone Mtn, GA (near Atlanta)
187 Posts

Change your brake fluid ever couple of years.

This is the fluid from my wifes daily driver after 3 years.
Her DD is a plain jane 2004 Corvette Auto

Picture isn't working Click Bad Brake Fluid

Matatk edit:

Posted on: 2010/4/4 1:54
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

shakedown067 Re: PSA - CHANGE YOUR BRAKE FLUID!!
Senior Guru
119 Posts

Yes, this should be done more often than most think.
Posted on: 2010/4/4 2:42

biggrizzly Re: PSA - CHANGE YOUR BRAKE FLUID!!
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Flushing and changing old break fluid will amaze you at the pedal. More so than installing bigger brakes. I know this from experience. I flushed mine a couple years after owning the car and could not believe the difference. Like getting new pads and rotors.
Posted on: 2010/4/4 3:06

Aboatguy Re: PSA - CHANGE YOUR BRAKE FLUID!!
Senior Guru
My Avatar was redistributed!
498 Posts

I agree fresh fluid makes a difference. I change my brake fluid annually.
Posted on: 2010/4/4 3:57

Ultraman Re: PSA - CHANGE YOUR BRAKE FLUID!!
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14790 Posts

Just did that and my brakes now really work well. Before that they were not that good and I thought I might need to replace them. The fluid may have been what the car came with in 90.
Posted on: 2010/4/4 4:04

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

Matatk Re: PSA - CHANGE YOUR BRAKE FLUID!!
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22811 Posts

Maybe your wife is secretly participating in underground street racing and you don't know it

Good tip to keep it fresh! I try to do it at least every 2-3 years. Guess it's time to do it on the truck, soon.

Matthew
Posted on: 2010/4/4 11:34

BillH Re: PSA - CHANGE YOUR BRAKE FLUID!!
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Brake fluid is the most ignored maintainence on our highways.

At least Vette owners actually think about this stuff (along with the other performance car guys).

The rest of the cars on the highway are running molasses
Posted on: 2010/4/4 13:43

CadillacTech Re: PSA - CHANGE YOUR BRAKE FLUID!!
Senior Guru
Indiana
132 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:

At least Vette owners actually think about this stuff (along with the other performance car guys).

I agree, brake fluid is never really thought about by most drivers.
Posted on: 2010/4/4 14:50

bogus Re: PSA - CHANGE YOUR BRAKE FLUID!!
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20861 Posts

Yuck.
Posted on: 2010/4/4 18:33

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

tjpreul Re: PSA - CHANGE YOUR BRAKE FLUID!!
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

I had the wife help me today. We flushed the brakes on her '99 Alero, and started on the Corvette. I was low on fluid, so we didn't get the complete system done. The pedal was a lot firmer. If my wife can tell a difference in her car, then there will be something to say for this.
Posted on: 2010/4/5 3:02

'92 auto, MSD, Banski, Taylor wires, SS lines, C5 rims, 3.07 gears, white gauges, seats from a '96.

Motor: Forged rotating assy, Probe pistons, CC valvetrain, AFR heads, Procharger P1SC

jaa1992 Re: PSA - CHANGE YOUR BRAKE FLUID!!
Guru
187 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:

Its a pet peve of mine because there is no change interval in the owners manual!!!

And no the wife isn't secretely street racing because the rear tires are where you would expect them after 20k miles!
I wish I could get her out on the road course!
Posted on: 2010/4/6 1:32

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

jaa1992 wrote:
Quote:

BillH wrote:

Its a pet peve of mine because there is no change interval in the owners manual!!!

And no the wife isn't secretely street racing because the rear tires are where you would expect them after 20k miles!
I wish I could get her out on the road course!

"Its a pet peve of mine because there is no change interval in the owners manual!!!"

Ha, at least you look at yours. I probably should have said " The owners manual is the most ignored thing on the highway."

If you could get your wife on the track with the right instructor,she'd probably change her mind about a few things at least.
Posted on: 2010/4/6 13:47

DaleD Re: PSA - CHANGE YOUR BRAKE FLUID!!
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

I'm out in front of this one, by accident. I had braided lines put on the car, while some other work was being done. So, they flushed the fluid and put in "high performance" fluid, whatever that is?

Anyway, I'm curious, if you were to flush a car's brake fluid, what would be the method you'd use? The way I'd imagine doing it would use a lot of fluid:

Suck the stuff out of the master, replace with new fluid. Then, go to each wheel, open the bleeder and pump the brakes until you get new fluid coming out?
Posted on: 2010/4/6 14:06

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

DaleD wrote:
I'm out in front of this one, by accident. I had braided lines put on the car, while some other work was being done. So, they flushed the fluid and put in "high performance" fluid, whatever that is?

Anyway, I'm curious, if you were to flush a car's brake fluid, what would be the method you'd use? The way I'd imagine doing it would use a lot of fluid:

Suck the stuff out of the master, replace with new fluid. Then, go to each wheel, open the bleeder and pump the brakes until you get new fluid coming out?

"Hi Perf" fluid will have a higher wet/dry temperature rating, better for the track, no benifit for the street.

Many methods will work, no one is the best. nd going thru a lot of fluid is no big deal because the fluid is so inexpensive.

The least expensive way (and the easiest) is to install speed bleeders in each caliper, it will cost $21. Then you can do the bleeding by yourself.

Yea, remove some of the fliud from themaster with a turkey baster but don't uncover the ports at the bottom.
Pumping the brakes is the wrong way to do it, you need to have someone push down on the pedal while you open the bleeder. Then you should close the bleeder before they release the pedal. Repeat until new fluid comes out.
It's also easier to see the bubbles if you use the bleeding bottles with the tube thst goes to the bottom of the bottle and sits in a bit of the brake fluid (lets you see any bubbles). You can get a bleeding bottle with a maginet thst sticks to the caliper for $5.

Other methods are vacuum, like a Mighty Vac, where you pull the fluid out of the caliper bleeder screw. The mighty comes with rubber adapters that fit over the bleeder nipple bt they tend to leak a bit of air into the plastic line so, it's hard to tell where the bubbles are coming from.
And the Motive power bleeder that forces fluid down thru the master cyl. (I don't like leaving any fluid in this one after your done though).

Again, best bet is the speed bleeders and a bit of plastic hose from HomeD into a container to keep the mess contained.
Posted on: 2010/4/6 15:03

jaa1992 Re: PSA - CHANGE YOUR BRAKE FLUID!!
Guru
187 Posts

I have a vaccum system from Harbor Freight, hooks up to an air compressor.

I use it instead of the turkey baster to remove the fluid from the master. Then I go to the rear and have it suck fluid until its clear (remember to fill the resevoir often.
Once both rear come clean i have my helper pump up the pedal abd crack the bleeder, when the pedal hits the floor close the bleeder. Repeat until no bubbles. When I do the fronts its blled until its clear and no bubbles (shorter lines so I don't need to pull as much old fluid)

My next purchase is going to be the Motive power bleeder to make it more of a one person job.
Posted on: 2010/4/8 1:57

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

jaa1992 wrote:
I have a vaccum system from Harbor Freight, hooks up to an air compressor.

I use it instead of the turkey baster to remove the fluid from the master. Then I go to the rear and have it suck fluid until its clear (remember to fill the resevoir often.
Once both rear come clean i have my helper pump up the pedal abd crack the bleeder, when the pedal hits the floor close the bleeder. Repeat until no bubbles. When I do the fronts its blled until its clear and no bubbles (shorter lines so I don't need to pull as much old fluid)

My next purchase is going to be the Motive power bleeder to make it more of a one person job.

I've been wanting to pick up that HF, just to have a pump in the shop.

The Motive's nice as long as you don't leave the fluid in it when you're done.

I've actually built a pump like the Motive for the racecars using a $7 garden sprayer. Use it all the time. It doesn't have fluid in it like tha Motive, just puts light air pressuce on the m/c.
Posted on: 2010/4/8 15:10

lindenbob Re: PSA - CHANGE YOUR BRAKE FLUID!!
Guru Newb
Pa
16 Posts

I am in the process of doing mine right now. Master cylinder resevoir was cracked so I replaced that, replaced master cylinder seals and figure since I was that far installed Goodridge braided lines and am gravity flushing. Long process. I couldn't believe the scale crap that was in the bottom of the resevoir.
Posted on: 2010/4/18 8:53

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.