Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
321 user(s) are online (275 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Dana 44
This references the rear differential.

The Dana 36 was the smaller unit. It was used on all 1984 Corvettes, and all automatic Corvettes thru 1996...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

MikeG New Member - 93 Running Poorly
Guru
Bronston,Ky 42518
54 Posts

Greetings Guru"s. My name is Mike and I have been reading this forum for about 2 years, gathering all the know how that is available. I am 57 , retired from a coal fired power plant where I was an engineer for 32 years. I HAVE A 76 that I am currently rebuilding from the ground up. Plans for it are an Auto LS3. now for my other dilemma. I also own a 93 coupe, black on black. Recently its been running like crap. No codes whats so ever. Feels like it is running out of gas. I can peddle it a little and it will then pick back up and run fine for maybe 5 to 10 miles and then we start the whole thing over again. I have replaced the fuel sock, fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator and also added bosch 3 injectors from FIC. Now I am at a loss as to what to look for. Any thoughts on the matter would be helpful. Thanks Mike
Posted on: 2010/4/25 22:09
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

TommyT-Bone Re: New Member
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Hello Mike. Welcome to CORVETTE-GURU. Hang tight and I'm sure some valuable responses will be posted. Glad to have you aboard.
Posted on: 2010/4/25 22:14

Matatk Re: New Member
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Welcome, Mike.

If you feel this is fuel related and you have changed parts, next step is to hook up a fuel gauge to the schrader valve on the fuel rail and monitor it while driving.

This could be unrelated to fuel, though, so how are your spark plugs, wires, vacuum lines, etc along with basic maintenance items? Also, how many miles? Opti can cause rough running problems,

Matthew
Posted on: 2010/4/25 23:28

uxb101 Re: New Member
Guru
CANADA
75 Posts

welcome to the madness Mike
opti (code 36)
heat soaked coil
icm
does the rpm tach jump all over the place, if so its the opti
Posted on: 2010/4/26 0:17

BrianCunningham Re: New Member
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

welcome to the forum

no codes has me thinking it's the opti as well

or the coil getting hot.

does it run ok when it's cold?

did you ever wash the front of the engine?

is the waterpump leaking out the weephole?
Posted on: 2010/4/26 0:19

MikeG Re: New Member
Guru
Bronston,Ky 42518
54 Posts

Opti has less than 20k on it, no leaking water pump,never washed the engine , runs like a scalded rabbit when cold. Thanks for the welcome .
Posted on: 2010/4/26 0:24

MikeG Re: New Member
Guru
Bronston,Ky 42518
54 Posts

Also plugs, and wires have less than 20k on them. Have checked every vacuum line I can find. I feel its fuel related but I am open to suggestions. If the dang thing would just throw a code I would have a starting point to go from .
Posted on: 2010/4/26 0:27

1Fast04Vert Re: New Member
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Here is my first stupid question - Is the digital temp gauge working correctly? Reasoning is that the same sender sends the readings to the ECM. Your analog gauge gets it's reading from a different sender. Intermittent or faulty readings at the ECM can cause some odd behavior.
Posted on: 2010/4/26 0:37

Guru
CANADA
75 Posts

unplug your crank sensor wire to see if it sends a code (ses light burnt out)
was the opti a msd?
what spark plugs are in it?
what size injectors.......24s
bad gas
burnt plug wire
ohms on injectors?
could be a bad ground wire
Posted on: 2010/4/26 0:40

bogus Re: New Member
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I am betting on the coil or coil wire at this point.

Let's step back and analyze the LT1 ignition for a moment.

The OptiSpark is the distributor. It is the modern interpretation of the conventional distributor. It has an optical pickup that the computer uses to set timing and a more or less conventional high voltage side.

If there is something wrong with the high voltage, it will more than likely NOT leave a code. If there is something wrong with the Optical side, there are two codes, 16 (lo res - fuel) or 36 (high res - timing).

Since you aren't getting those, I am betting on the high voltage side.

Check the coil wire. It runs from the coil (right head, behind PS pump reservour) to the opti (below throttle body). It can chaffe against the pump... It will then ground out and kill power.

Check the condition of the wires to the coil. There are a couple of separate harnesses that plug into the coil and to and from the ignition module.

These connectors age and get worn to the point they won't stay connected.

Finally, the Ignition Control Module could be over heating. Hit it with cold spray and see if the problem eases. The ICM is between the coil and the head, right side.

I have seen this happen in the past and troubleshooting it was a real bitch.

Good luck and Welcome aboard!!!
Posted on: 2010/4/26 0:47

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

X-FIRE Re: New Member
Senior Guru
Ohio
104 Posts

Want to welcome you to the forum...there are some great guys on here. I can't help with your problem, but it looks like you are getting some good starting points on it. Good luck with the troubleshooting and again Welcome to the forum..
Posted on: 2010/4/26 1:49

Durango_Boy Re: New Member
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Start a different thread about your '76. I'm a C3 guy so seeing that project would be very cool.

You mentioned something about your symptoms that makes me think of something other than Opti. Your O2 sensors.

Curt's '95 had very similar symptoms. Cold it ran fairly good. Warm though it got crappy fast and didn't sound all that different than how you described it.

When was the last time the O2 sensors were changed?
Posted on: 2010/4/26 2:23

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

First off, 92 and 93 LT1's don't have crank sensors.

I am not a fan of the O2 sensors being the problem, but its not a bad place to start. I am a fan of Denso O2s. Hate Bosch. Junk.

I am not betting on a bad ground wire. If so, it would run poorly all the time.

I agree with checking temps, however, if the temp sensor on the waterpump fails, it throws a code, H15.

Which leads to the final question: Does the SES light come on at startup? If not, then the bulb may be blown.
Posted on: 2010/4/26 4:16

Guru
CANADA
75 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:

I am not a fan of the O2 sensors being the problem, but its not a bad place to start. I am a fan of Denso O2s. Hate Bosch. Junk.

I agree with checking temps, however, if the temp sensor on the waterpump fails, it throws a code, H15.

Which leads to the final question: Does the SES light come on at startup? If not, then the bulb may be blown.

1990-1995 Chevrolet Corvette Crank Position Sensor - Replacement
http://www.corvette-guru.com/cache/2371_4bd57b96136b4.jpg

Attach file:

jpg  repo311801updated.jpg (22.40 KB)
2371_4bd57b96136b4.jpg 280X761 px
Posted on: 2010/4/26 11:40

Trae1976 Re: New Member - 93 Running Poorly
2012 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Johnson City, TN
832 Posts

Welcome Mike!
Posted on: 2010/4/26 12:38

BillH Re: New Member
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:

Yep, no crank sensor.

Ya know, the 92 FSM says that if the O2 on an LT5 has low readings, the ECM will go back into open loop (and throw codes). But that's not mentioned for the LT1 (doesn't mean it won't happen).
Almost sounds like the car runs fine in open loop, crappy in closed, goes back to open and runs OK for 5 min. But again, no codes.

Mike, are you pulling codes on the dash or with a scanner?

Peddling- is that crusing at 1/4 throttle? And how long until it goes back to running OK?

When it starts running bad, no missing, bucking or monentary engine shutoff, right?

I do think the fuel pressure should be checked while driving, if nothing else, you will eliminate that as part of the problem.
Posted on: 2010/4/26 13:36

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

uxb101 wrote:
Quote:

bogus wrote:

1990-1995 Chevrolet Corvette Crank Position Sensor - Replacement
http://www.corvette-guru.com/cache/2371_4bd57b96136b4.jpg

Bill is absolutely right... no crank sensor on the 92-93 Vette. Trust me on this one; I had the engine out on my 92, with the timing cover off and beleive me, there is no crank sensor!
Posted on: 2010/4/26 14:02

biggrizzly Re: New Member - 93 Running Poorly
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

No Crank Sensor on my 94 either.

OH - BTW -- Welcome Mike!
Posted on: 2010/4/26 15:12

MikeG Re: New Member - 93 Running Poorly
Guru
Bronston,Ky 42518
54 Posts

I'm checking everyone"s suggestions and I'll post back when I am done with the list Y'all gave me. I did unplug the digital temp sensor and the SES light does work, gave me a H15 code. Bill H. I have been pulling codes from the dash and also with a scanner, everything from the scanner looks to be in the norm. Wish it would throw me a code !!!
Posted on: 2010/4/26 16:29

uxb101 Re: New Member - 93 Running Poorly
Guru
CANADA
75 Posts

vin j is a zr1 and they have them,i was using as an example to test the ses light
Posted on: 2010/4/26 16:35

1Fast04Vert Re: New Member - 93 Running Poorly
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

[quote]
MikeG wrote:
I'm checking everyone"s suggestions and I'll post back when I am done with the list Y'all gave me. I did unplug the digital temp sensor quote]

That is the sensor on the water pump. With it unplugged the car should never go into closed loop. My suggestion was to leave it alone and watch the digital gauge whne it was acting up. If the gauge acts erratic then you know where the problem is.
Posted on: 2010/4/26 17:57

BillH Re: New Member - 93 Running Poorly
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

MikeG wrote:
I'm checking everyone"s suggestions and I'll post back when I am done with the list Y'all gave me. I did unplug the digital temp sensor and the SES light does work, gave me a H15 code. Bill H. I have been pulling codes from the dash and also with a scanner, everything from the scanner looks to be in the norm. Wish it would throw me a code !!!

Only reason I asked Mike, is because I've seen one or two crappy scanners give false codes or none, looks like you have that covered.

Good luck.
Posted on: 2010/4/26 19:10

dan0617 Re: New Member - 93 Running Poorly
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

Unplug the 02 sensor and see how it runs. If it runs better, you need an 02 sensor. They can go bad but not bad enough to throw a code. There are many many things it could be, don't just start throwing parts at it. Go one step at a time. Welcome to the forum!
Posted on: 2010/4/26 22:49

Guru
Bronston,Ky 42518
54 Posts

Well I had a code 15 ( low coolant temp) when I checked the codes. Never paid much attention to the digital gauges until it was brought up. Drove the car today and watched the digital temp and as suggested it was very erratic. Came home changed the sensor and no the digital is stuck at 142 degrees, doesn;t increase or decrease. before I started the car after changing the sensor I unhooked the battery to clear all the codes. Now I have the SES light at all times, checked the codes and still have the code 15. What did I do wrong ???
Posted on: 2010/4/26 22:53

Matatk Re: New Member - 93 Running Poorly
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Is that a one wire sensor? Did you use teflon tape, etc on it? Perhaps it's not getting a proper ground.

Matthew
Posted on: 2010/4/26 23:06

BillH Re: New Member - 93 Running Poorly
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

No Matt, 2 wire, yellow is signal, black is ground (in the ECM). But the tape would make sense if it was a one wire.

Mike the SES is on because of the 15, the 15 is a signal voltage problem. IIRC, the 142 will show when the sensor is unhooked.
Ck the connection and look at the harness for chaffing, shorting to ground. May be why it's erratic
The clear the code.

I'd suggest that you clear the codes with the dash buttons, it's a little easier. You can clear them in modules 1.7, 4.7 and 9.7.

Also, there should be 5 v. at the sensor connector, yellow wire.
Posted on: 2010/4/26 23:16

bogus Re: New Member - 93 Running Poorly
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Mike, you really need to read this:

http://www.corvette-guru.com/modules/ ... ection/visit.php?fileid=3

That will show you how to read the codes from the CCM.

I had a run on bad temp sensors... don't exlude that from your potential diagnostics. Also, the connector should only go in one way, but, if it's backwards, it could look ok, but not actually be making connection.

A bad temp sensor will cause issues, but its rather transitory. Once the sensor hits the failure point, the car starts to run like crap, hell it will even quit! I found if you floor it, the car will then run in closed loop and do ok.

In other words, it doesn't sound like your entire problem.
Posted on: 2010/4/27 13:59

pr0zac Re: New Member - 93 Running Poorly
Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
No Matt, 2 wire, yellow is signal, black is ground (in the ECM). But the tape would make sense if it was a one wire.

Mike the SES is on because of the 15, the 15 is a signal voltage problem. IIRC, the 142 will show when the sensor is unhooked.
Ck the connection and look at the harness for chaffing, shorting to ground. May be why it's erratic
The clear the code.

I'd suggest that you clear the codes with the dash buttons, it's a little easier. You can clear them in modules 1.7, 4.7 and 9.7.

Also, there should be 5 v. at the sensor connector, yellow wire.

it will show the lowest value if you unhook the coolant sensor. i worked on a 94 box van last month that needed a new connector for the coolant sensor. it ran like shit all the time until you pressed on the connector and it would smooth right out. you need to plug a scan tool in and see what the computer is seeing. not the dash.
Posted on: 2010/4/27 14:01

bogus Re: New Member - 93 Running Poorly
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

A little clarification:

The IP has 2 temp displays. The Analog dial gets its feed from the cylinder head and that's it.

The digital display on the speedo is from the sensor on the water pump and the same source used by the ECM. The digital display is usually quite accurate and what the ECM is seeing. If this display gets erratic, then the engine will start running poorly.
Posted on: 2010/4/27 14:06

Guru
Bronston,Ky 42518
54 Posts

Thanks for that link Andy. I looked for that about a week ago but couldn't find it.
Posted on: 2010/4/27 15:16

Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Quote:

MikeG wrote:
Thanks for that link Andy. I looked for that about a week ago but couldn't find it.

Reread my response #21 in this thread. You really didn't need to look very far.
Posted on: 2010/4/27 16:33

Guru
Bronston,Ky 42518
54 Posts

Sorry I must have overlooked your post, but hats off to you. You were right on track !
Posted on: 2010/4/28 14:57

Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Quote:

MikeG wrote:
Sorry I must have overlooked your post, but hats off to you. You were right on track !

No problem, I am very used to it, my wife ignores any and every thing I say. Glad you have it fixed now.
Posted on: 2010/4/28 17:05

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.