Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
290 user(s) are online (247 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  D36
This references the rear differential.

The Dana 36 was the smaller unit. It was used on all 1984 Corvettes, and all automatic Corvettes thru 199...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

VtVette Need advice, Gurus - GM Opti, MSD or Dynaspark?
Guru
Las Vegas, NV
357 Posts

Fellow Guru's, my '93 has 98k on her and I have use of a friend for a few weeks so, I decided to do a little preventative maintenance. I don't think my car has ever had a tune up so, I replaced the filters, fluids, plugs, wires, and decided while I have it in the air and apart i'd change the opti.

I was originally going to go with a Delteq unit (I bought one actually) but, I really want to keep my car stock looking under the hood so dizzy-less ignition systems are out.

I removed original Opti today and cleaned up the front of the engine. Much to my surprise the Opti looks to be in great shape - no sign of any water or moisture ever getting in. Bearings seem tight. Must have got a good one!

So, I have a few options:

Stock Opti - I would do this in a heartbeat but, mine is non-vented. That's my only concern with a factory original piece.

MSD - these seem to get mixed reviews. Worth the money? I *heard* MSD admitted that there were issues with early units but this was apparently cleared up by '08ish?

Dynaspark - now we're getting up in price. Are they really worth the money?

I like the idea of a vented Opti. I am not going to swap my cam at this point so, no update to a later unit for now.

I'd love to hear some opinions.

Thanks,

Brian
Posted on: 2010/5/9 23:09

1993 triple black roadster 6 speed
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

pr0zac Re: Need advice Guru's - GM Opti, MSD or Dynaspark?
Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

gm's have the best track record. i have heard that dynasparks aren't what they use to be. i am not a huge fan of May Suddenly Die.
Posted on: 2010/5/9 23:17

bogus Re: Need advice Guru's - GM Opti, MSD or Dynaspark?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I have a DynaSpark. It's been in for nearly a year. No problems at all.

The GM units have had their share of issues, mostly since they stopped getting the optics sourced from Mitsubishi.

Personally, I am not a fan of the entire opti concept. That's why I moved towards LTCC. And I am there, 100%, now. The DynaSpark I bought does not have a cap.
Posted on: 2010/5/9 23:30

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

pr0zac Re: Need advice Guru's - GM Opti, MSD or Dynaspark?
Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:

The GM units have had their share of issues, mostly since they stopped getting the optics sourced from Mitsubishi.

Personally, I am not a fan of the entire opti concept. That's why I moved towards LTCC. And I am there, 100%, now. The DynaSpark I bought does not have a cap.
doesn't the ltcc still use the optical sensor? i don't see how thats an upgrade.
Posted on: 2010/5/9 23:47

BillH Re: Need advice Guru's - GM Opti, MSD or Dynaspark?
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Posted on: 2010/5/10 0:06

CadillacTech Re: Need advice Guru's - GM Opti, MSD or Dynaspark?
Senior Guru
Indiana
132 Posts

I have over 20k on our MSD unit in our '96 and have had no problems at all. I think they are great units. I put an MSD in a '93 last year and it has been great as well.
Posted on: 2010/5/10 0:42

VtVette Re: Need advice Guru's - GM Opti, MSD or Dynaspark?
Guru
Las Vegas, NV
357 Posts

Wow Bill that post inspires confidence in the MSD unit!

I'm going to keep searching tonight and order tomorrow but I have been leaning towards the MSD unit. I've never purchased a MSD product but, the fact that they have publicly admitted they had issues with their early design and have since rectified the problem is refreshing. Most companies these days would probably ignore it, some would quietly fix the issue without ever admitting there was an issue, and few would come out and publicly their product had issues at all.

I've searched extensively and been reading many stories about Dynaspark. Apparently as Bogus mentioned the company was sold and product quality and customer support has suffered. For the price they command I would not expect to read anything but the occasional issue which can pop up with any product. And then I would expect to hear of prompt reply's and replacement which is not the case.

that is one additional plus for MSD - I've heard nothing but great things about their customer service in the event of an issue.

Thanks for the replies so far. Keep them coming!
Posted on: 2010/5/10 0:43

Guru
Las Vegas, NV
357 Posts

Another question for those running MSD - did you remove the cap and red Locktite the retaining screws? I've read quite a few stories of screws backing out of the MSD unit. I wonder if they have rectified this problem as well?

Thanks!
Posted on: 2010/5/10 0:53

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

VtVette wrote:
Wow Bill that post inspires confidence in the MSD unit!

Yea, so far,so good. It was installed in 2007.
My reason for buying it was: I'm never selling the 92, it was vented, had bigger bearings and an o-ring seal between the cap & housing vs a paper gasket on the GM.

That being said, many GM optis run 100k without problems.
Posted on: 2010/5/10 0:54

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

VtVette wrote:
Another question for those running MSD - did you remove the cap and red Locktite the retaining screws? I've read quite a few stories of screws backing out of the MSD unit. I wonder if they have rectified this problem as well?

Thanks!

I checked all screws before the first install. After that, I read the threads about the screws.

When I pulled it last month, all the screws were tight. I did loctite the screws anyway.

Jon (SpectatorRacing) had problems with the screws but he's reving the car high all the time at the track.
Mine rarely goes above 4k.
Posted on: 2010/5/10 0:57

CadillacTech Re: Need advice Guru's - GM Opti, MSD or Dynaspark?
Senior Guru
Indiana
132 Posts

The GM unit that I replaced on our '96 was in great shape & had performed flawlessly for almost 70k miles. I thought the MSD unit was very well designed.
Posted on: 2010/5/10 1:02

biggrizzly Re: Need advice Guru's - GM Opti, MSD or Dynaspark?
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

I have about 5,000 miles on my MSD - I used Locktite on my rotor screw for insurance. However, I still have not removed it after my engine experience last week, so I can't tell you for sure if it survived 6500 rpm soaking. My car is a 94 with the non-vented style cam and timing set but the MSD unit is vented so there is a plus to the MSD in that regard.

In defense of the GM unit. Mine had about 150k miles on it when I removed it and it was still working fine. I just replaced it for added insurance.
Posted on: 2010/5/10 1:28

rklessdriver Re: Need advice Guru's - GM Opti, MSD or Dynaspark?
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

The MSD I put in blackharleymans 96 LT4 383 has over 15,000 miles on it now and is working fine. It's one of the first MSD's to come out because he had on the stock LT4 for a while before he blew it up and I built the 383 for him in June 2008. He just got back from a week long road trip to the Pocono's and back... A drive like that is confidence in your car.

When I pulled the stock LT4 apart the rotor was loose and it would have destroyed itself before too much longer. Of course he just took it out of the box and put in the car. When it went back in the new 383 I checked everything and lock tighted the rotor screw to be sure it wouldn't fail.

My 92 has an MSD on it as well - but I converted my 92 to the later pin drive style Opti. I bought mine in 2007 (so it's an early one as well) but my car only has a couple of thousand miles on it. Too many tuning pulls to count but no real driving miles. Still I haven't had any problems releated to the Opti and my car has been run pretty hard on various dyno's.

All I can go on is my personal experience with them and I'm happy with the MSD Opti's so far. If I ever have another LTX powered car and it needs a new Opti, I'm going with another MSD.
Will
Posted on: 2010/5/10 1:30

1972 Corvette. LS5 454 BBC with M20 4 speed.
Best Pass - Doing good to just pass a gas station.

SpectatorRacing Re: Need advice Guru's - GM Opti, MSD or Dynaspark?
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

What's your timing for doing this job?

I have an idea that could help us both. I went Delteq on my car but they're out of business (which is why I wouldn't put the one you have on your car). Before I made the switch, I tried the MSD and the rotor failed just as quickly as the stock opti. However, my opti plauge of 2008 turned out to be caused by the harmonic balancer being damaged, and sending wicked vibrations throughout the car.

So...I have a brand new MSD optispark sitting on the bench. If you don't need your car running immediately, I'll send it to you. It needs a new rotor (I broke the original), so you can buy the MSD cap and rotor for about $150 from Summit. Install it. If it works, send me your Delteq system so I have a spare. I really just need the ECU, but I'll take the coils if you have them.

What do you think? MSD opti is $515, you can have one for free...well, for the price of a new rotor. If it doesn't work Summit will take back the rotor and refund your money, I shipped one back last year. I also have the jumper harness you'll need to go from your '93 wiring harness to the MSD. My car is a '93 as well.

No risk other than your time.
Posted on: 2010/5/10 15:29

Guru
Las Vegas, NV
357 Posts

Thank Jon PM sent!
Posted on: 2010/5/10 19:11

bogus Re: Need advice Guru's - GM Opti, MSD or Dynaspark?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

pr0zac wrote:
Quote:

bogus wrote:

doesn't the ltcc still use the optical sensor? i don't see how thats an upgrade.

The opti part isn't the problem... it's the high voltage.
Posted on: 2010/5/10 20:40

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

VtVette wrote:
Thank Jon PM sent!

Have Jon check and see if the O-ring for the cap is round or square. The round ones suck big time as far as installing them.

I have the p/n for the newer square ones. And the phone # for the tech desk.
I just got 2 shipped for $7.95 ($5 shipping).
Posted on: 2010/5/10 22:00

Guru
Las Vegas, NV
357 Posts

Bill thanks for the info - would a new cap/rotor come with the O-ring?

Can any Opti use either the round or square O-ring or are there differences between an early or later MSD Opti?

MDS will sell parts directly to a customer? If so I'll order a cap/rotor and pick up a square seal directly from MSD if they do not come with the cap.

thanks again for the info Bill,

Brian
Posted on: 2010/5/10 22:31

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

VtVette wrote:

Can any Opti use either the round or square O-ring or are there differences between an early or later MSD Opti?

MDS will sell parts directly to a customer? If so I'll order a cap/rotor and pick up a square seal directly from MSD if they do not come with the cap.

Brian

Brian, I never bought a cap & rotor, so don't know if the o-ring comes with it or if they also will sell the cap,etc.
I do know Summit doesn't have the o-ring separate.

There's no difference in the optis, just the o-ring. Thr round one just won't stay on the shinny aluminum, keeps slipping off while you're trying to install the cap. This was changed quite a while ago. The sq. one stays in place.

Call the tech line and ask about the cap then they'll switch you over to the order desk.
915-855-7123

The p/n for the o-ring is HDW28151, $1.25e.
I got 2 shipped for $7.50.
Posted on: 2010/5/10 23:09

SpectatorRacing Re: Need advice Guru's - GM Opti, MSD or Dynaspark?
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Brian, I've upgraded my car to the newer style opti so it just occurred to me that you'll need the new timing cover for this MSD.

I was thinking the MSD was a generic part, but the timing cover has the larger opening. I'll still send it (shipping was only $6.33 for 2 day) but this may be a bigger project than you were looking for.

Sorry about that, I forgot that the '93 had the splined shaft.
Posted on: 2010/5/11 14:08

Guru
Las Vegas, NV
357 Posts

Hi Jon, it was nice speaking to you on the phone today.

Regarding the discussion we had about early to late cam swaps here is the best thread I've found on the subject:

http://www.ls1lt1.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38117

I don't know anyone over at that forum, this was one of my first posts so I take the info with a grain of salt but, they seem to know what they are talking about. Plus, there are pic's of the early and later cams.

I sent you a PM with my E-mail address in the event that your files show contrary information in regards to using a later Opti in place of the earlier unit.

As mentioned I do have a later timing cover. I would not be interested in pulling the cam though, Unfortunately I do not have the time.

Thanks again Jon,
Posted on: 2010/5/11 14:58

SpectatorRacing Re: Need advice, Gurus - GM Opti, MSD or Dynaspark?
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Looks like you need the timing cover and chain, but the cam seems to be ok from the older cars. The splined pin from the '92-94 cars goes into the timing gear, not the cam itself.

Email sent, sorry it's later than I expected.
Posted on: 2010/5/11 21:05

teebee Re: Need advice, Gurus - GM Opti, MSD or Dynaspark?
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12369 Posts

Well, it appears that you have made your decision, but here's my .02. I had a seal leaking in the front of my 94 and when I took everything off to replace the seals I decided to replace the opti and water pump. I bought genuine GM parts... within 4000 miles I was having issues that I couldn't track down with rough running, sputtering, etc. Someone suggested the opti, but I discounted that because I had a "brand new one". Well as it turns out the opti cap was crap...carbon arcing all over the place. Instead of just buying a cap and rotor, I bought an MSD and installed it. I was totally impressed by the quality of the MSD unit. Mine had the 'square' O-ring. It was running like a champ the day I traded it off.
Posted on: 2010/5/11 22:12

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

Josh Re: Need advice, Gurus - GM Opti, MSD or Dynaspark?
Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

The round O-ring will stretch around the cap. Slide it over the cap with the cap on the bench. Then start the screws that hold the cap down. Then slip the O-ring off the cap down onto the housing. It'll stay in place that way.

I had a wicked experience with an MSD opti in 2006/2007. I hadn't heard that they owned up to a mistake though, so maybe mine was one of the bad units.
Posted on: 2010/5/12 2:56

Guru
Las Vegas, NV
357 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

VtVette wrote:

Brian

Brian, I never bought a cap & rotor, so don't know if the o-ring comes with it or if they also will sell the cap,etc.
I do know Summit doesn't have the o-ring separate.

There's no difference in the optis, just the o-ring. Thr round one just won't stay on the shinny aluminum, keeps slipping off while you're trying to install the cap. This was changed quite a while ago. The sq. one stays in place.

Call the tech line and ask about the cap then they'll switch you over to the order desk.
915-855-7123

The p/n for the o-ring is HDW28151, $1.25e.
I got 2 shipped for $7.50.

FYI: Received new MSD Opti today. Came with a square O-ring.
Posted on: 2010/5/13 23:15

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.