Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
255 user(s) are online (217 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Rat Motor
GM production big block engines were known as Rat motors.

'W' Series:

5.7L 348ci - 1958 thru 1964
6.7L 409ci - 1961 thru 1965
7.0L 427ci (Z11...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

RobertT What would you do with this $$
Guru
62 Posts

I am selling one of my other cars and am going to put the $$ into my 90 Vette . My question is what is the best up grades or changes to make in a vette of this year ?

engine runs pretty good , but if I could I would put in a
newer one I don't like the TPI engines that much ? it does need an exhaust ( cat back portion ) , some gauges are out Typical of this year. car has about 120 K miles . my budget will be around $ 3,500.00 . ( much of the work I can do myself so little will be spent on labor fees )

So give me your best advice ? What would you do ?
Posted on: 2011/2/19 17:07
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Matatk Re: What would you do with this $$
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

#1) What are your goals?
#2) Will you be doing the work yourself?

I know you say you don't like "tpi engines" but the "tpi" is actually just the intake portion. The motor (ie block, pistons, crank, etc) are just a standard 350. It's a respectable setup. I would not recommend going to a carb.

Most guys for a reasonable gain will recommend headers, a full dual exhaust, and a different intake setup (big tube runners, modified stealthram, miniram, first, superram, etc). You will also hear a rear gear change and a torque converter (assuming it's an automatic) for "peppiness."

You really need to honestly assess the situation and answer #1 and #2. I personally wouldn't put a new top end (ie heads, cam, intake) on a motor with 120,000 miles, though others have done it. You run the risk of blowing out the bottom end (bearings, etc). It's best to do it all at once, but $3500 will be tight.

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/2/19 17:36

RobertT Re: What would you do with this $$
Guru
62 Posts

I will be doing much of the work myself . My goals are to have a really good running car . I don't need it to be any faster or have huge gobs of power . The area where I live is mostly city driving lots of stop lights and traffic . I don't plan on any racing just want a nice ride to cruise around town to the beach .
Posted on: 2011/2/19 17:46

flyboy Re: What would you do with this $$
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

Make it look and run like new.
Posted on: 2011/2/19 18:13

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

RobertT wrote:
My goals are to have a really good running car . I don't need it to be any faster or have huge gobs of power .

Then I guess I'm confused as to what advice you need?

If your motor runs well as it is now, I'd just leave it. Fresh fluids, plugs, wires, basic tune up stuff and drive it

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/2/19 21:05

Ultraman Re: What would you do with this $$
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14747 Posts

I have a 90 also and it has less miles. It runs well has good stock power (see Ultra's Dyno Runs thread)but I want to get all I can out of the stock engine. That means opening up the exaust and eventually unrestrict the intake side.

If done right there may be 40 to 50 hp to gain if all goes well. That's just my idea of what I want and I will have about 1500 in the exhaust and about the same I hope in the top side. No cam no head work just letting what Chevy made do it's job.

If I was smarter I would be able to post the link to that thread but alas, I am not. Maybe someone would give me a hand with that. Good luck with your project. Lot's of info here at the Guru.
Posted on: 2011/2/19 22:57

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

62panshovel Re: What would you do with this $$
Guru Newb
United States
33 Posts

Sell the c4 and buy a C5... I saw one this weekend for 13. I fear that may be my next endeavor.
Posted on: 2011/2/20 1:52

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

62panshovel wrote:
Sell the c4 and buy a C5... I saw one this weekend for 13. I fear that may be my next endeavor.

So sell his fine running 90 for a possible money pit beat on c5 for 13k? Doesn't make sense to me.

Unless there is something cosmetic you want to change, new radio, etc, just keep it mechanically running well and enjoy.

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/2/20 16:27

biggrizzly Re: What would you do with this $$
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

I'm with Matt and the others on this subject as well. If the car runs well and your satisfied with the performance I'd leave that part of the equation alone. Maybe do some general maintenance and clean-up of the engine and some added bling might make you smile.

If there is something on the car that you feel is less than perfect like interior seating or audio system or event the exterior paint might need some attention. $3500 could get you one or two of the following cool things for your 1990.

Paint
Interior Seating
Audio
Headers/exhaust (I don't know if they will help a stock L98)
Wheels & Tires
Suspension/ shocks / coilovers etc.
Engine Bling
Nice looking girl for the passenger seat!

I'd just look for the thing that bugs me the most and attend to that first
Posted on: 2011/2/20 18:00

Josh Re: What would you do with this $$
Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

If it were me, I'd probably do headers and nitrous. You don't say if the car is an auto or stick, but a converter is another great mod for automatic cars.
Posted on: 2011/2/20 18:49

Guru
62 Posts

OK , THANKS FOR THE INPUT . I just thought I would put it out there . I do have a laundry list of things , but just wanted to see if there are any must do changes to these cars before I tackle my "want to list " .
Posted on: 2011/2/20 23:53

sixstring1 Re: What would you do with this $$
Guru Newb
22 Posts

drive it until the wheels fall off.. Then rebuild what is broken..I read all these stories of people hopping up the engine to have nothing but trouble.tune codes bad idle etc.. They scared me away from installing gm hot cam and port polish heads..The best thing i have read and i am a newb is put long tube headers on it from melrose or arh..get around 20-25 rwhp and no mechanical woes..and the open airbox k and n filter. or the slp claw.good luck post what you are doing I would like to know..
Posted on: 2011/2/21 20:23

biggrizzly Re: What would you do with this $$
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Well... Robert has a TPI engine (L98) versus the (LT1) and the both react differently to modifications. The L98 has a more restictive intake system making it less responsive to headers until the intake bottle neck is openend up. So, headers are not always the first thing to jump into on the TPI motor. LT headers on an LT1/4 are good for the investment, but probably better is rear gears if your car has base level rear axle ratio. Also for A4 guys a higher stall converter is an easy mod that will give a little more SOTP feel on acceleration.
Posted on: 2011/2/21 20:38

Jeffvette Re: What would you do with this $$
Elite Guru
Not on CF
1297 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Quote:

62panshovel wrote:

So sell his fine running 90 for a possible money pit beat on c5 for 13k? Doesn't make sense to me.

Unless there is something cosmetic you want to change, new radio, etc, just keep it mechanically running well and enjoy.

Matthew

A few years ago a C5 at 13k would be a high high mileage beat to shit car with issues. Now, it gets a fairly decent ride with some miles. You can poke into a C5 Z06 for 17 now.
Posted on: 2011/3/1 5:11

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Jeff - I agree with you that deals can be found. But there aren't too many 12 year old cars that don't need some maintenance. And a Z06...show me one that wasn't abused a little for 17k...granted you might find the needle in the haystack deal, but those are much more rare than the average car you'll find that needs maintenance.
Posted on: 2011/3/1 13:58

Elite Guru
Not on CF
1297 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Jeff - I agree with you that deals can be found. But there aren't too many 12 year old cars that don't need some maintenance. And a Z06...show me one that wasn't abused a little for 17k...granted you might find the needle in the haystack deal, but those are much more rare than the average car you'll find that needs maintenance.

Not to far off.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBa ... &_rdc=1&item=170605896452

Several that stall out at bidding at 15k. And not sold.
Posted on: 2011/3/1 23:30

Guru
62 Posts

I agree that selling the car is not the best move . If I had
the money to buy a good C5 i would do it . I like the car
and the smart thing to do is fix what needs it and just have fun .. isn't that what it is all supposed to be about .
it does need an exhaust and I am going to install a good audio system , and check and replace engine components that need it .
Posted on: 2011/3/1 23:35

BillH Re: What would you do with this $$
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:

One of my students brought one to the track (and this was last summer), 34k miles, showroom condition (really) for $19k.
Posted on: 2011/3/1 23:37

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

That sold for 19,309 for an 01 z06 with low miles. Great deal if you ask me. But 19 is a far cry from 13 when you are on a budget. That's like saying a 6,000 c4 is the same as a 13,000 c4...it's not.

But this has skewed off topic. I think Robert has the right idea...new exhaust, new tunes, and a new appreciation of the car!
Posted on: 2011/3/2 3:26

Elite Guru
Not on CF
1297 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Quote:

That sold for 19,309 for an 01 z06 with low miles. Great deal if you ask me. But 19 is a far cry from 13 when you are on a budget. That's like saying a 6,000 c4 is the same as a 13,000 c4...it's not.

You asked for a Z06 around 17. I got close with a good car.

Here is 13,500 C5.... Opinion?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBa ... iewItem&item=330531910622
Posted on: 2011/3/2 3:39

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.