Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
270 user(s) are online (224 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

Matatk Friday Chat 05.27.11
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Good Morning CGs!

Not much to report here. Haven't had a chance to get my car washed for the Memorial Day Weekend Corvette Guru Car Show. Say that three times fast

Hope everyone has a great day!

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/5/27 11:42

pianoguy Re: Friday Chat 05.27.11
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Happy Friday! I'm in the same boat - haven't washed the car and there's rain in the forecast every day. I took the day off, gonna work on the deck if weather permits. It's sunny but only a balmy 47, so I think I'll wait a while.

Enjoy your Friday, gurus!
Posted on: 2011/5/27 12:24

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

TommyT-Bone Re: Friday Chat 05.27.11
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Had to make a commitment yesterday on the restoration of the 928. Up on the lift we went over a step by step issue by issue evaluation of the car mechanically. The mechanic was graciously letting me know the car is gonna be a money pit. Most of the work we discussed was something I had already anticipated. So I wasn't really shocked by any of it. The glory will come when I drive a fresh 79 928 that should give me many years of driving enjoyment. It's a work in progress. My other cars took years to get to where they are today and this one will be no different. Fortunately all the major issues on my other vehicles have been addressed. This car has just become the project. 928s are becoming less and less common as many will not get the dedication it takes to bring a car back from near death. Common sense was not used in making this decision. I have a connection with this car that goes back over 20 years. It will live again.
Posted on: 2011/5/27 12:29

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Haven't had a chance to get my car washed for the Memorial Day Weekend Corvette Guru Car Show.
Matthew

Quote:

pianoguy wrote:
I'm in the same boat - haven't washed the car and there's rain in the forecast every day.

The show goes on rain or shine. Post up some pics boyz.
Posted on: 2011/5/27 12:32

Ultraman Re: Friday Chat 05.27.11
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14750 Posts

Wow, I am already intimidated by the cars in the car show and there are only 3 of them so far. TB's and Don both have the coolest interiors and the paint job on Tommy's second car is real nice. Oh well, I got to get mine on maybe I cought the light just right......

Friday is here and we are still catching up from the days that it rained last week and it may rain agian today. It is much cooler out. Other than work not a lot going on.

Ultraboys baseball team did not do so hot last night and they face a tougher opponent today. Where we live some high schools have a baseball program and some don't. Ours doesn't but we have to play Legion teams from towns that do have High school ball and they are always tough because they have been playing together all spring.

My job is to encourage and point out the good things that they did......

Have a great day Guru's, keep the hammer down!
Posted on: 2011/5/27 12:52

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Tommy, did your guy give you a quote for dropping an LS3 in that 928? ;-)
Posted on: 2011/5/27 13:20

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

pianoguy wrote:
Tommy, did your guy give you a quote for dropping an LS3 in that 928? ;-)

Don't think I didn't ask. I gave it some serious thought but the cost and conversion was daunting. Anything is possible if your pockets are deep enough. My biggest problem is I lack the skills needed to pull it off and don't want to just leave an open checkbook. Repair and replace became the most cost effective option.
Posted on: 2011/5/27 13:29

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

Ultraman wrote:
Wow, I am already intimidated by the cars in the car show and there are only 3 of them so far. TB's and Don both have the coolest interiors and the paint job on Tommy's second car is real nice. Oh well, I got to get mine on maybe I cought the light just right......

Don't be intimidated. I know I don't stand a chance against the machinery we have at Corvette-Guru. Consider it more a show and tell. Enquiring guru minds want to know.... and see.
Posted on: 2011/5/27 13:36

Huskerland
14750 Posts

You're right Tommy, I am not going to let anything intimidate me damit, ever ag.........what's that honey.....no I'm not on the Guru......yes I'm just headed out the door.....nuts!
Posted on: 2011/5/27 13:48

teebee Re: Friday Chat 05.27.11
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12370 Posts

Morning guys....I was still up when Tommy posted the car show thread, so I had mine ready to go. Like Tommy, I don't think that mine has a snowballs chance in H3ll, but it's just a way to show what you got. I don't do shine and shows for the chance of winning, but to just enjoy the time.

I don't have much planned for today. The Corvette is on solid ground and I have some of the stuff loaded into it already. The wife will be home around 4 and we will head for home town and the big all class reunion this weekend. I'm taking a computer, but I really don't expect I'll have time or (more than likely) an internet connection, so I probably not be on for a couple of days.

Tommy, the restoration project will be worth it for the sentimental value the car holds. Marcus, you have as much chance as anyone here, but don't worry about it. Don, I should really do something with my redwood deck. That sander looked like a neat deal, I'll have to check around and see if some place has one.

I'll check in off and on throughout the day, until Rosie gets home and we leave. Have a great day and holiday weekend.
Posted on: 2011/5/27 14:10

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

We're back on the deck again ...

Posted on: 2011/5/27 14:15

BillH Re: Friday Chat 05.27.11
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

teebee wrote:
Don, I should really do something with my redwood deck. That sander looked like a neat deal, I'll have to check around and see if some place has one.

Yea, well, redwood turns into gray wood.
Gray wood doesn't like paint.
I think I'll just call it "rustic" and spend the sander rental money on the C2.
I heard that Tommy's pretty good at sanding.

Attach file:

jpg  2006-03-09 13-55-42_0001.JPG (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2011/5/27 14:21

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

So, I did as much housecleaning as I could this morning....I unloaded the dishwasher.

I had a dream last night that I hit a slot machine for $145,000. So.....

I also spent a whopping 15 minutes on the C2.

Attach file:

jpg  2006-03-09 16-22-08_0001.JPG (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2011/5/27 16:48

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Whoa, quite a difference, Bill!

I'm taking a break from experimenting and head-scratching over the deck. It's a royal queen bitch, maybe just easier to bite the bullet and rip all the decking off and start over.

I got my FSM on CD today - Andy had posted an ebay link recently, so I ordered one. Works pretty slick, a nice alternative to the big unwieldy books:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1996-C ... fLiterature#ht_1767wt_842
Posted on: 2011/5/27 18:02

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Bill, If I'm not mistaken I seem to remember a spray on/rinse off chemical that makes old wood look new. Brad, How about just pressure wash and paint. Sure they'll be some defects. You only walk on it. It will still look pretty. Who stares at the floor anyway. By the way, last year i pressure washed my 18 y/o wooden fence. Most of the crud came off. It looked 15 years newer.
Posted on: 2011/5/27 18:33

Huskerland
14750 Posts

Here is what I used that was more expensive on the deck but no more work after it's done. Rhino Deck for the big stuff and Aeratis is what is going on the front porch, soon real soon.......

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image
Posted on: 2011/5/27 20:09

SpectatorRacing Re: Friday Chat 05.27.11
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Quote:

Ultraman wrote:

We all had a shot until Steve40th posted his pics...

Tom's car is gorgeous and clean as a whistle, Don's engine bay brings jealousy to the surface, and yours looks money in the artsy "old building" setting.

I didn't know Tommy's #2 had a power adder...that is SICK.

Ron what color? I like the steel blue.
Posted on: 2011/5/27 20:19

teebee Re: Friday Chat 05.27.11
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12370 Posts

Thanks, I try to keep it clean and nice looking, but like most everyone here....I drive mine, so it gets those little dings and chips. Yea I didn't know that either about Tommy's 91. No wonder his wife beats him at the auto-x track. I feel the same way about the setting that Marcus used.

Marcus, That's darn sure what I'll use when it comes time to "re-deck". Not to brag, but I've got a pretty big deck and my wife loves it. I just don't get to use it like we did when we were younger.

I've been thinking about just getting a pressure washer and blasting the crud off and treating it with a natural preservative.
Posted on: 2011/5/27 20:29

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Ultraman wrote:
Here is what I used that was more expensive on the deck but no more work after it's done. Rhino Deck for the big stuff and Aeratis is what is going on the front porch, soon real soon.......

That's nice Marcus.

But big bucks, even more than new redwood.

I'm lookin' at this but it's a PIA to put on.

Posted on: 2011/5/27 20:30

SpectatorRacing Re: Friday Chat 05.27.11
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Quote:

teebee wrote:
Marcus, That's darn sure what I'll use when it comes time to "re-deck". Not to brag, but I've got a pretty big deck and my wife loves it. I just don't get to use it like we did when we were younger.

I've been thinking about just getting a pressure washer and blasting the crud off and treating it with a natural preservative.

Careful with the powerwasher. If the wood isn't in good condition it will blow it to bits. Also, make sure you let it dry for a few days before restaining or painting. The pressure washer will really force the water in there so it takes awhile to dry out.

I've done it with much success, though.
Posted on: 2011/5/27 20:34

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

teebee wrote:

Marcus, That's darn sure what I'll use when it comes time to "re-deck". Not to brag, but I've got a pretty big deck and my wife loves it.

I don't want to spend the bucks to do mine. The upper deck is 8' x 30, the lower deck is 13 x 35 and 2 side decks, 4 x 15 snd 4 x 32, that's like 880 sq.ft.
Besides, no one can tell from the street.
Posted on: 2011/5/27 20:40

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

SpectatorRacing wrote:

Careful with the powerwasher. If the wood isn't in good condition it will blow it to bits. Also, make sure you let it dry for a few days before restaining or painting. The pressure washer will really force the water in there so it takes awhile to dry out.

I've done it with much success, though.

Yea, it puts nice grooves in the redwood, ask me how I know.
Posted on: 2011/5/27 20:42

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
Bill, If I'm not mistaken I seem to remember a spray on/rinse off chemical that makes old wood look new.

Doesn't work if the deck's been painted. And the pressure washer won't get all the paint off without screwing up the wood. And pressure washing won't make the new paint stick.

You're right about, screw it, just walk on it.
Posted on: 2011/5/27 20:44

vetteblondie Re: Friday Chat 05.27.11
Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4655 Posts

Ugh.. all mean talk about is their big deck!
I even got a deck.... and mine's clean too!

have a good Friday all, bout to eat with some friends.
Posted on: 2011/5/27 21:21

Yes, I'm a bitch... just not YOURS.

Resized Image

biggrizzly Re: Friday Chat 05.27.11
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Crap... I thought I already posted here today! Must be some kind of time warp! Well I did a little of everything and a lot of nothing. Worked on my stuff for "Man" this morning and then went out and cut the lawn and trimmed. Started to get that mulch down for the wife. Its looking pretty good. Someone spent a ton of money landscaping this house before we bought and I have lots of terraced shrub beds and separate outdoor living areas so to speak. Just a lot of work to keep them up. I'd love to put a new deck and a hot tub out there sometime. I want a little tub that is like a pool. You know, to cool off in, not get hot in. So I guess I want a cool tub! Something that is easy to Keep up and I can easily cover and keep clean.

Another Manly Memorial Day work question.-- My front porch is about 8ft X 10ft concrete and has been painted before. The gray concrete paint is wearing off in most places. do I prep and paint this just like the garage floor kits? or is there something else? Also the wrought iron railings are rusting at their footings can I clean them up with a wire wheel and then use that phosphate conversion coating like I have used on my cars frame. Its converts the corrosion into a black hard coating that can be painted.

Attach file:

jpg  hous.jpg (343.34 KB)
342_4de01fab89433.jpg 800X600 px
Posted on: 2011/5/27 22:06

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:

Another Manly Memorial Day work question.-- My front porch is about 8ft X 10ft concrete and has been painted before. The gray concrete paint is wearing off in most places. do I prep and paint this just like the garage floor kits? or is there something else? Also the wrought iron railings are rusting at their footings can I clean them up with a wire wheel and then use that phosphate conversion coating like I have used on my cars frame. Its converts the corrosion into a black hard coating that can be painted.

IMO cause I haven't done the research, the epoxy type of garage floor coating needs to go on to bare concrete. If you are going to use porch floor paint just lightly sand it.

The railings, yea you could do that but it wouldn't cost too much to pull them, have them sand blasted and powdercoated. Then you can forgrt about them for a long time.
Posted on: 2011/5/27 22:31

Huskerland
14750 Posts

Bill, I can't get over how well that dishwasher cleaned those C2 parts. Wow! What brand is that?..............
Posted on: 2011/5/28 1:37

Matatk Re: Friday Chat 05.27.11
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

teebee wrote:

Well in that case, not to brag, but my deck is as hard as concrete:

Photobucket
Posted on: 2011/5/28 1:43

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

vetteblondie wrote:
Ugh.. all mean talk about is their big deck!
I even got a deck.... and mine's clean too!

have a good Friday all, bout to eat with some friends.

Stop getting so excited about our decks, VB!
Posted on: 2011/5/28 1:44

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

pianoguy wrote:

I got my FSM on CD today - Andy had posted an ebay link recently, so I ordered one. Works pretty slick, a nice alternative to the big unwieldy books:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1996-C ... fLiterature#ht_1767wt_842

Hmm...guess it's time to copy that and send it over here
Posted on: 2011/5/28 1:44

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

SpectatorRacing wrote:
Quote:

Ultraman wrote:

We all had a shot until Steve40th posted his pics...

I haven't even looked yet, because I don't have a chance. Especially once Joe and Mick post their cars....wow.
Posted on: 2011/5/28 1:45

Huskerland
14750 Posts

Matt out here in the West that ain't a deck, that's a patiooooo!
Posted on: 2011/5/28 1:51

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:

For the concrete:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/20 ... 0208_1_paint-primer-porch

As far as the railings that's what I'd do, or even a wire wheel and rustoleum.
Posted on: 2011/5/28 1:52

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:
I want a little tub that is like a pool. You know, to cool off in, not get hot in. So I guess I want a cool tub! Something that is easy to Keep up and I can easily cover and keep clean.

Resized Image
Posted on: 2011/5/28 1:53

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Ultraman wrote:
Bill, I can't get over how well that dishwasher cleaned those C2 parts. Wow! What brand is that?..............

Ha, but I do know a guy who put an old dishwasher in his garage just to do that. Except it don't do rust.
Posted on: 2011/5/28 1:53

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

Ultraman wrote:

Well in that case, my patiooooo is bigger than your patiooooo
Posted on: 2011/5/28 1:54

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:

For the concrete:

Maybe you can use that process when you paint your '89.
Posted on: 2011/5/28 1:56

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

Ultraman wrote:

Ha, but I do know a guy who put an old dishwasher in his garage just to do that. Except it don't do rust.

If I had the space...and an oven for powdercoating!
Posted on: 2011/5/28 1:56

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Ultraman wrote:

I've heard that a man's deck is proportional to the size of his hands.
Posted on: 2011/5/28 1:57

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

Matatk wrote:

For the concrete:

Maybe you can use that process when you paint your '89.

Good idea. I'll practice on your C2 first.
Posted on: 2011/5/28 1:59

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

Ultraman wrote:

Bill getting a burger at the local casino:

Resized Image
Posted on: 2011/5/28 2:04

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

Ultraman wrote:

Bill getting a burger at the local casino:

Resized Image

Har!

That's one for the man with the little patio.
Posted on: 2011/5/28 2:08

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:

Har!

That's one for the man with the little patio.

That's patiooooooo.
Posted on: 2011/5/28 2:21

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.