Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
286 user(s) are online (241 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

Matatk Experience of first time at the strip
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Well, I mentioned in chat that I was gonna run my car at the local test n tune. I didn't really enjoy myself that much. Learned a bit, but was not what I expected.

I'll warn you, this is long (results at bottom):

Here's where it started:

I looked at the website for my local drag strip, Route 66. Friday night test n tune, $25...opens at 4. Classic car show in the lot, too. Cool. Check the website up and down for any rules/regulations/etc - nothing.

I get to the track at about 4:35...huge line of cars. Finally make it to the gate after 15 mins or so. $15 admission. Huh? But I'm racing...doesn't matter. No signs or instructions for new guys like me. I meet a guy with a nice 86 vette drag car, he tells me where to go for tech inspection.

Get in the tech line, must be 40 cars ahead of me. Get my form filled up and it's finally my turn. Guy is checking the car (which was a joke..oh yeah, all stock, ok). I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt (86* outside) - turns out I need pants to race. Honestly I considered that at home, but since there were no rules online I didn't know. Guy says go to the souvenir stand and buy some sweatpants. Really? Because if my car burns to the ground in a fiery inferno of death, sweatpants will make all the difference over shorts. Ok, fine. Buy some sweatpants...for $31. No kidding. I did bring my helmet because I assumed it was required, he checked it but didn't make any mention of it. I later learned a helmet is required for sub-14 second cars, and a fire jacket is required if you are spraying nitrous. But I learned that from other racers, not the officials.

Now I get to pay my additional $25 and get my raceband. Done with tech, motor over to the waiting line. And that's what I did...waited. A long time. It's at least 6:00 by now. Finally get my chance at a run. I'm lined up with a late 90s firebird/TA. I've got a little bit of excited butterflies in my stomach. Drive around the water box because I don't want to do a burnout. Pull up to the tree and go. I shift manually but it's holding the revs too high, shifted at 5400 rpms. I didn't know it was too high at the time. Go to get my timeslip...14.5...holy crap that's slow. What happened? Drive back to the waiting line...there are a ton of cars broken up into 4 classes...8.5 cars, 9.5 cars, 10.5 cars, and street/stock. We were the biggest group but it seems we ran the least? Officials seemed to hold us up. My next run was 1:18 later...yes, an hour and eighteen minutes. I decided to try to shift sooner...same result with the trans, nearly identical time. Damn. I then realized it was the governor adjustments I made...weights were too light. Drive back around and wait...They had to clean the track a couple times, oil, etc...Next run is 2:19 later. That's a long wait. I ended up eating a bit, talking to some other racers (learned a lot) and getting pissed off. Third run I tried to drive just in "D" - trans revved a little lower...5200 rpms, but hesitated on the shifts. Slowest time of the night. Picked up my slip and got the heck out of there.

Overall, the waiting is what pissed me off the most. But I met a lot of cool guys with cool cars who told me where to go, what to do, etc. So the camaraderie at the track was great. Watching some of the really fast cars was great. The driving itself was fun. But the cost and time blew the whole deal for me. Plus I felt like I was hurting my car while I was racing. Motor ran great, but I couldn't get over those high rpm extended shifts.

Anyway, that's a huge rant above. Now on to the results.

I don't know DA and all that crap. There was a sign that said Elevation 632 feet, and it was in the upper 70s/lower 80s to start. I didn't feel any traction loss but it's hard to tell wearing a helmet with the windows up.

Run 1 - no burnout, manual shifting, no rpm loading at line:

R/T .679
60 2.211
330 6.122
1/8 9.358
MPH 75.73
1000 12.156
1/4 14.521
MPH 95.27

Run 2 - no burnout, manual shifting, no rpm loading at line:

R/T .625
60 2.198
330 6.124
1/8 9.377
MPH 75.43
1000 12.188
1/4 14.567
MPH 94.73

Run 3 - no burnout, auto shifting, 1800? rpm at line:

R/T .523
60 2.262
330 6.203
1/8 9.468
MPH 75.14
1000 12.297
1/4 14.688
MPH 94.24

I'd like to work on the governor issue and get another pass. I don't know my optimal shift points / power band without a dyno pull, but I think I'll shoot for 4800 rpm if left in drive. Obviously my butt dyno is not accurate, because I thought the car felt good on the street shifting so high. But the numbers don't lie.

So that's my experience. I'm not ashamed of the times, that's why I posted them. I wanted them to be better...I should have at least a high 12 car on street tires. I need to work on the shifting issues. And I'm a novice drag racer. I think with more practice I could get better. But I didn't get a huge thrill out of it like some guys. Maybe I'll go again, maybe not. Still up in the air.

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/8/13 23:14

Ultraman Re: Experience of first time at the strip
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14750 Posts

I hope you give it another try. Nothing is easy the first time you do it plus you know you got issues with the tranny. Wait until you got things worked out and hit it again and when you do hit the 12's you will be having fun then......you might want to find another drag strip...where you can make more runs.
Posted on: 2011/8/14 4:54

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

rklessdriver Re: Experience of first time at the strip
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

I'm sorry your experience wasn't that great.

Sounds like they have a lot of cars on T&T night at Joliet... I know sitting around in the staging lanes for hours can be a bummer.

I'm surprised the event wasn't better run, considering we go up there every year for the NMRA event and it's always been a well ran show in the past. It is a professional faculity and I'd expect it to run like one even on T&T night.

What did the other regular racers say about the wait? Typical or did you go on an off night? I'd hate for you to get a bad taste of organized racing because of a non typical night.... If it's typical of their T&T night, I'd say find another track. You have Byron and Great lakes about the same distance away.

http://www.byrondragway.com/Home.html

http://www.greatlakesdragaway.com/

Also IMO that is damn expensive.... local race track here cost $15 to race and that covers entry to the track as well..... Spectator only is like $7.00.

Now on to some technical data and performance opinion for you.

DA tonight at Joliet was mid 1400-1500ft.... which is an average summer evening.

http://www.dragtimes.com/da-density-a ... &year=2011&time=7:35%20PM

Your MPH (94-95) is following pretty close (just a tad high) for you elasped time (mid 14's) considering it's a street car.

Which leads me to: YOUR 60ft SUCKS. If it wasn't spinning, you need to stall the converter up more on the starting line.

I also can't imagine 5400RPM is too high of a shift point.... your MPH is higher on those passes which indicates higher shift RPM is better.

The lagging/hesitating shifts are another thing entirely and most likely are hurting you (and the tranny).

Race tracks can be a heart braker man. It took me a few weeks to get my self sorted and aquainted to the car well enought to even get my 92 down the race track respectable like. I've been racing all my life.
Will
Posted on: 2011/8/14 5:21

1972 Corvette. LS5 454 BBC with M20 4 speed.
Best Pass - Doing good to just pass a gas station.

TommyT-Bone Re: Experience of first time at the strip
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Sorry to hear of your experience Matt. The first time I went out I went with a short sleeved shirt. They had mercy on me being a rookie and let me run. Being and older guy I had no expectations of being great at running the local 1/8th mile track, especially running a bone stock 90 Corvette. I look at autocross and test and tune as an opportunity to learn more and about me and my car, trying to get the most out of my driving experience. Test and tune nights are just that. An opporyunity to find and sort out mechanical issues and improve driving skills. I'm no local champion. I'm no legend in autocross. I'm just a guy having a good time making the most out of what I've got. Hang in there dude. It gets better. There is joy to be had. Don't miss out.
Posted on: 2011/8/14 7:50

biggrizzly Re: Experience of first time at the strip
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Matt - I'm sorry too for your "First Time Out" experiences because it really doesn't have to be like that. Must have been bad timing or something. However, the experience was still valuable to say the least.

Lots of people still Poo Poo car clubs. Well this is one more advantage to the club experience. Track rentals are a great way for new drivers to get initiated without the long waits of Saturday test & tunes. On any given club track rental you may only have 40-150 cars tops to wait through.

You know that car has the potential for better E.T.s - I wouldn't worry about those first few time slips. At least it came home running. My first day out I brought it home on a flatbed.
Posted on: 2011/8/14 11:28

Matatk Re: Experience of first time at the strip
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Will - reference everything you posted...

The regular racers said the track was packed...due to the Good Guys car show going on. Probably twice the racers as are usually there. But they were all pissed off about the wait times and said this is the slowest track for getting guys through. They said Byron is good and GLD is decent to get a lot of runs in, but the track itself sucks. I think they said the other tracks were around $40 total to run. There were very few spectators in the stands, maybe that's why they charge so much?

As far as my 60 ft...I didn't load the converter at all. I guess I didn't want to spin off the line. But I don't even know if I was spinning because I was in the car. I guess I need someone in my "pit crew" lol.

Don - if I go out again, it will be with Rick to a corvette only shootout that they do every year. You get a lot more passes in and it's 99% vettes. I think it's NW Indiana Corvette club that puts it on...or something along those lines. Not totally sure.

We'll see what happens in the future.

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/8/14 11:52

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:

Lots of people still Poo Poo car clubs.

Sorry Don but if you write something like that again I may have to give you a weeks vacation.

Posted on: 2011/8/14 13:01

PeteK Re: Experience of first time at the strip
Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Will - reference everything you posted...

The regular racers said the track was packed...due to the Good Guys car show going on. Probably twice the racers as are usually there. But they were all pissed off about the wait times and said this is the slowest track for getting guys through. They said Byron is good and GLD is decent to get a lot of runs in, but the track itself sucks. I think they said the other tracks were around $40 total to run. There were very few spectators in the stands, maybe that's why they charge so much?

As far as my 60 ft...I didn't load the converter at all. I guess I didn't want to spin off the line. But I don't even know if I was spinning because I was in the car. I guess I need someone in my "pit crew" lol.

Don - if I go out again, it will be with Rick to a corvette only shootout that they do every year. You get a lot more passes in and it's 99% vettes. I think it's NW Indiana Corvette club that puts it on...or something along those lines. Not totally sure.

We'll see what happens in the future.

Matthew

Matt,
My stock 87 cut 2.0 60 foot times.
Typically, one tenth in the 60 foot is worth 2-3 tenths in the quarter mile.
In my opinion, your car should cut 1.750 short times.
The majority of your problem is in the launch.
Not loading the converter will cause it to flash higher.
With the right tire temp, and pressure your short imes should improve.
Sounds to me like your converter is tight as shit, or you are blowing the tires off.
Because your mph is way down also, I am guessing tight converter.
You need to put a white line on your tire, and have some someone vidoe the runs.
Posted on: 2011/8/14 13:02

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:

I can usually tell my tires are spinning because I start going sideways instead of forward.

Posted on: 2011/8/14 13:05

PeteK Re: Experience of first time at the strip
Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Next time out, drop tire pressure to 17 pounds.
Drive around the water, and back into the burnout box, just touching the edge of the puddle with the back tires.
Pull forward 3 feet, and do a 10 second burnout in first gear.
Do not spin the motor higher than 4500 rpm.
Pull forward and pre stage.
Once the other lane pre stages, hold the brake with the left foot, bring the rpm up to 2000 rpm, slowly bump the car into the stage beam, while holding the rpm steady at 2k.
On the 3rd yellow, smack it to the wood.
It shoud hook.
Posted on: 2011/8/14 13:16

flyboy Re: Experience of first time at the strip
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

Matt, too bad about the long waits. If I go up to GLD again I'll give you a shout. I'm sure you would get in as many runs as you want.
I have to agree with PeteK about nailing it as soon as you see the third yellow light.
Great Lakes Dragaway also has a tech inspection so I would avoid attire like the first picture.
The second two would probably pass tech, but might raise a few eyebrows.
Hope you get the governor sorted out.
Here's an old thread.
http://www.corvette-guru.com/modules/ ... id=154865#forumpost154865

Attach file:

jpg  images.jpg (5.95 KB)
1735_4e47ffaa314a1.jpg 164X306 px

jpg  7382_mens.jpg (18.31 KB)
1735_4e47ffc7df953.jpg 350X350 px

jpg  Young-men-in-sagging-trou-007.jpg (36.79 KB)
1735_4e47ffe3d234c.jpg 460X276 px
Posted on: 2011/8/14 17:04

j3studio Re: Experience of first time at the strip
Elite Guru
Western Philadelphia Burbs
4247 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
I can usually tell my tires are spinning because I start going sideways instead of forward.

The same thing works for me.
Posted on: 2011/8/14 17:24

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Pete - thanks for the good advice. I'll have to try messing around a little on my launch. I have a g-tech that I've never used, I might need to break it out and do a few test runs.

Joe - I might be interested in that. I'll see if I can work on my launch.

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/8/14 22:13

BeachBum Re: Experience of first time at the strip
Master Guru
751 Posts

Bummer on the crowded track.... I've done that before, it does get old sitting around in the lanes. But, its not always like that at most tracks.

Technically speaking, your helmet needs a Snell 2000 rating on it when you go 13.99 or quicker, which is typically a tag somewhere under the helmet or a sticker on the back. Just thought you should know.... if you get the wrong tech inspector, you'd learn the hard way.

On your motor, when I raced a long tube runner set-up, it liked to be short shifted..... torque motors you typically short shift a bit, but higher rpm HP motors, you typically go over the HP peak considerably, but, its a variance. btw, am I reading your signature correctly.... do you have a 383 with a 2400 rpm converter ? If yes, you're definitely running slow, including the MPH. 1600 ft DA in the summer isn't bad at all. Probably something simple holding you back. And of course as the others said, get that 60 ft down, there is a lot of hidden et in your short times.

My last recommendation, is to swap out your intake for a shorter runner intake such as a superram or miniram..... you'll find yourself with 50+ more HP real quick.

It gets better....
Posted on: 2011/8/16 3:23

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Thanks Beach. Since I'm the only one who was in my car and felt the way the trans shifted, that's where I'm putting my focus. The car seemed to dwell too long at the high rpm before shifting. It seemed like it just leveled off for that period instead of continuing to accelerate. So that, coupled with a better launch, should help out.

As far as the intake, I know my restrictions going in. I have been looking for an upper SR box and runners for a year. I had one lined up and the guy just flaked out on me. Bummer, but I'll keep looking casually.

Thanks again,

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/8/16 12:00

pianoguy Re: Experience of first time at the strip
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Hope you get it sorted out, Matt! At least you have a couple options nearby - we've don't have any tracks here anymore.
Posted on: 2011/8/16 12:20

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

BeachBum Re: Experience of first time at the strip
Master Guru
751 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Thanks Beach. Since I'm the only one who was in my car and felt the way the trans shifted, that's where I'm putting my focus. The car seemed to dwell too long at the high rpm before shifting. It seemed like it just leveled off for that period instead of continuing to accelerate. So that, coupled with a better launch, should help out.

As far as the intake, I know my restrictions going in. I have been looking for an upper SR box and runners for a year. I had one lined up and the guy just flaked out on me. Bummer, but I'll keep looking casually.

Thanks again,

Matthew

When I had long tube runners, I have had my governor in-correct just like yours, hence the motor would just make a lot of freakn noise, but no acceleration up above your HP peak. It really doesn't hurt your motor because its not like you're up at 7000 rpm, but it sounds like it is.

But, it does definitely hurt not just your et, but even your MPH.... for every foot you drive with the motor not accelerating, that is one less foot you have to actually accelerate. I suspect your et and mph will both substantially improve when you get that sorted out.

Or as you already said, just go to a SR and not change the governor... your shift point might be perfect for it already.

Good Luck !
Posted on: 2011/8/16 20:10

corvettelou Re: Experience of first time at the strip
Guru Newb
17 Posts

Hi, I'm the guy with the red 86 at 66 I am registerd as corvettelou and have been trying to post comments to your post but they don't show up after I click submit what am I doing wrong?
Posted on: 2011/8/17 22:11

Guru Newb
17 Posts

How about that there it is will get back soon
Posted on: 2011/8/17 22:13

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

corvettelou wrote:
Hi, I'm the guy with the red 86 at 66 I am registerd as corvettelou and have been trying to post comments to your post but they don't show up after I click submit what am I doing wrong?

Lou -

Welcome to the site and glad you made it over! I really appreciate the help you gave me at the track that day. Great conversation, too.

Once I get some things sorted out, I might run again. But either at GLD or elsewhere if you are interested. Maybe your brother can make it out with the LT4 if he gets the trans worked out.

Also, for anyone interested, Lou has a nice 86...383, miniram, tpis headers and tune, d44 conversion, 75 shot, DRs and weld skinnies up front, etc etc. I think he ran around 11.8 or under? He will have to correct me on my times.

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/8/17 23:41

Guru Newb
17 Posts

Matt, just typed a long reply then lost it again when I click submit. what am I doing wrong ? LOU 11.51 w/ 75 zex shot 12.20 on motor.
Posted on: 2011/8/18 1:11

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Lou, not sure why you are losing your post. It could be your internet browser. Are you updated to the most current version? I use firefox with good results.

Also, those are great times! I'd love to hit 12.20 on motor.

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/8/18 2:47

Guru Newb
17 Posts

Matt, Trying again, I first log in , went to the bottom of your post then Reply, type in reply, then submit. is this correct? I see it is there so now editing. Just wanted to say it was a pleasure to meet you at the track, not many C 4s . That was the most cars I've seen at t&t at 66 in a long time. most times I get there at 4:00 go staight to tech then staging and get in 2or3 quick runs before things slow down. once you know their system you can time it out and hang in stands, tune in pits , eat , etc.. 66 is a NHRA track, w/ trained safty crew, parametics, ambulance, etc. that is why it is $45 . While the small tracks are less hassle and cheeper the don't compare in track prep or safty.That said I still like to go to GLD in the fall and have had a great time there. I have learned to enjoy time in staging to meet other racers , bench race,check out other cars etc. About your trans., I always likeed to have gov. shift early in drive then shift manually when racing. also make sure TV cable is set properly I had to re- locate mount point on TB to get proper geometry. see PATC web site. DO NOT do burn out in first, put in 3rd and let it shift up to 3rd before letting up , this will happen quickly when tires ar spinning. will be at66 fri. and GLD in the fall . hope to see you there.
Posted on: 2011/8/20 17:16

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Lou - sound like you've got the posting down.

Thanks for the tips. I still haven't gotten a chance to play with the governor, but my goal is to set it up for 2400 rpm partial throttle shifts and 4800 WOT when shifting automatically.
Posted on: 2011/8/21 12:58

Guru Newb
17 Posts

Matt, my brother can't find phone # you gave him at the track for trans work on his 96 LT-4. wanted to message this to you instead of posting but don't know how. Could you E mail info ? thanks Lou
Posted on: 2011/8/23 18:01

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Lou - I sent you an email, but the website is www.zfdoc.com
Posted on: 2011/8/24 11:38

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.