Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
252 user(s) are online (193 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  LT5
Engine used in the ZR1, 1990-1995, manual only....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

flyboy "buying a C4" article
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

Got this in an e-mail from "Auto Enthusiast", for what it's worth.
http://www.amosauto.com/Articles/Corv ... Tech/buying-a-c4-corvette
I got a chuckle from the "you're an idiot" response in the comments below.
Posted on: 2011/9/10 20:28
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: "buying a C4" article
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I felt the article really glanced over the real issues of C4 ownership. Read the one I put together in the tech library...

Also, the C4 is what it is... a result of GM bean counters getting their noses where they didn't belong. End of story.

As for build quality, Corvettes have never been leaders in that area... much better now, yes, but still has room for improvement.

the "your an idiot" comment was out of line. What a dick. The comments disco made were pretty much on target; except I doubt that GM was "embarrassed." They got what they paid for.
Posted on: 2011/9/10 21:18

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

BillH Re: "buying a C4" article
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

I have no issues.
Posted on: 2011/9/10 21:49

corvetteronw Re: "buying a C4" article
Senior Guru
Lowell, MI
646 Posts

I saved that issue to use the article for future reference. Went back and read it again. Not worth saving. Donating it to my clinic's waiting room.
I'll bet several of you on this Forum could write a better article on how to buy a C4!
Posted on: 2011/9/11 4:21

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

corvetteronw wrote:
I saved that issue to use the article for future reference. Went back and read it again. Not worth saving. Donating it to my clinic's waiting room.
I'll bet several of you on this Forum could write a better article on how to buy a C4!

I already did...

Buyer's Guide
Posted on: 2011/9/11 6:45

biggrizzly Re: "buying a C4" article
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

It was an OK article. Like Andy said, it kind of glanced over the real issues of C4 ownership and what should be addressed when buying a used C4.

I usually do not read the stupid remarks that people make at the bottom of articles like this because for the most part they are all "idiot" remarks. Not too many people can organize their thoughts well enough to put them down in writing anyway, although this guys comments were reasonable until he let it out of the bag that he was a C4 hater. I know this type of Corvette owner well from the Corvette Club crowd. Lots of them bought a C5 when they first came out and never, ever drove a C4 prior to the C5. To a lot of them, the C5 is the end all of Corvettes. Additionally, some of them took it hard when the C6 came out but can't say anything bad about the C6 that would stand up. Instead of really understanding the differences in all of these cars and realizing that different people have different reasons for ownership and different tastes in vehicle styling they choose to proliferate unnecessary bashing of the C4 generation. By the way... I love the C5 styling and mechanicals and would own one in a heart beat but I would never go cutting down on the C4 after my purchase. I don't agree with his three negative statements directed at C4s. Yes, GM could have ended the generation a little earlier if they were ready for the C5 but they were not. I really don't think GM was embarrassed by the C4 either as it sold thousands of this generation over the years proving its success.

"All Corvettes are worthy of respect, but it's no secret that some should be respected more than others. The C4 may have taken the world by storm in 1984, but by any other measure it's a terrible car. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Corvette enthusiast, belong to my local Corvette club, and own three of them (A C5 and two C3s). But I'd pass on a C4, no matter what the deal. The line ran for 13 years, and should have been retired after five or six.

The good news is that GM learned a LOT from the C4. Read "All Corvettes are Red," the story of the C5 development process. GM was embarrassed by the C4 and set out to prove to the world it could still build a great sports car when it designed the C5. And the C6 is even better..."
Posted on: 2011/9/11 12:37

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I agree with your assessment, Don.

Many C4 bashers are simply against the car because it came after the so much loved C3. What gets me is how crude the C3 is, yet how much people love it! It comes down to looks.

The C3 was all curvy and sexy and the C4 really isn't... do it was a failure.

I don't call the C4 a terrible car. By what measure does one call it terrible?

Time to light this asshole up.
Posted on: 2011/9/11 17:43

Ultraman Re: "buying a C4" article
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14759 Posts

Well said Don! I have owned every Gen except C1's and the C6. I enjoyed them for what they were and acknowledge each generations shortcomings. My 77 and 79 C3's were rough from the factory, but I loved the look and as any small block there was room for more power. I remember being underwhelmed when I saw the C4 for the first time, I think it was the wheels mainly.

My first C4 was an 88 Z51 which was nice but did not ride well, it was built much better, the paint was very good. I loved my 90 and thought it looks badass.

The C5 is a step up from all of them and that is what Corvette needs to do with each new gen to keep selling them. I would like a C6 someday and maybe I will be around long enough to have a C7 if they don't completely goof them up with the way they look. Corvettes should be about power, handling, looks and quality. I think they are doing that very well at this point.
Posted on: 2011/9/11 18:54

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

Matatk Re: "buying a C4" article
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

That article was useless and gave no advice whatsoever on how to inspect or critique a C4 or what to look for.

As far as the C4 bashing, we should be used to it. But if I drive the 79 back to back with the 89, the 89 spanks it in every category...power, refinement, handling, ride quality, etc. I'm sure if I drove a 99, it would blow the 89 out of the water...and so on with a 09. BTW, I'd love to drive an 09

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/9/11 22:14

SpectatorRacing Re: "buying a C4" article
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Ha! The C4 is exactly the same as the C5 and C6 for it's time. Allow me to clarify:

All of them are performance bargains - world class (world beating?) drivetrains and suspensions that win at the strip and on the road course.

Styling is subjective. I don't think the C4 is particularly great, but neither is the C5. I do think the C6 is pretty damn sexy, though.

Everything else is junk. Everyting. The C6 has the EXACT same issues as the C4, meaning the electronics, comfort, interior quality, etc. are "sub-par". GM uses the Corvette as a technology showcase, and each generation's electrical innovation is quickly an annoyance after a few years in the life cycle.

For the C4 it was the proximity remote, the optispark, VATS, etc.

The C5 has the column lock failure

And don't get me started on the C6. I've been locked in, locked out, had tires flat that are full, had tires read full that don't even have sensors in them. The battery dies, I have to put it in reverse to park, it honks at me in anger for just about everything. The list goes on and on.

Great cars? Absolutely. Every single one. But for Mr. C6 to say that the C4 is junk is ridiculous. Wait until his car is anywhere near 20 years old. Mine's 5 years old and I hate everything except the smooth, smooth sound of an LS motor...That part really IS world class. And guess what? It makes up for every single irritating quirk the car (both of them) has.

That's my rant for the day, hope you all enjoyed it
Posted on: 2011/9/12 14:01

biggrizzly Re: "buying a C4" article
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

All the guys on Corvette Forum said it was a great article.
Posted on: 2011/9/12 15:23

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

If you wash your C4 twice a week, you'll have very few problems with it.
Posted on: 2011/9/12 15:23

Huskerland
14759 Posts

Quote:

SpectatorRacing wrote:
Ha! The C4 is exactly the same as the C5 and C6 for it's time. Allow me to clarify:

All of them are performance bargains - world class (world beating?) drivetrains and suspentsions that win at the strip and on the road course.

Styling is subjective. I don't think the C4 is particularly great, but neither is the C5. I do think the C6 is pretty damn sexy, though.

Everything else is junk. Everyting. The C6 has the EXACT same issues as the C4, meaning the electronics, comfort, interior quality, etc. are "sub-par". GM uses the Corvette as a technology showcase, and each generation's electrical innovation is quickly an annoyance after a few years in the life cycle.

For the C4 it was the proximity remote, the optispark, etc.

The C5 has the column lock failure

And don't get me started on the C6. I've been locked in, locked out, had tires flat that are full, had tires read full that don't even have sensors in them. The battery dies, I have to put it in reverse to park, it honks at me in anger for just about everything. The list goes on and on.

Great cars? Absolutely. Every single one. But for Mr. C6 to say that the C4 is junk is ridiculous. Wait until his car is anywhere near 20 years old. Mine's 5 years old and I hate everything except the smooth, smooth sound of an LS motor...That part really IS world class. And guess what? It makes up for every single irritating quirk the car (both of them) has.

Great rant, enjoyed it a lot.......So a few of the C5's had trouble with the column lock thing other then that they are perfect in every way.................well there is the issue of having to tear the dash off to fix the flasher....but the aftermarket fixed that somewhat.....Oh and then there is the issue of.......nevermind....
Posted on: 2011/9/12 15:40

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:
All the guys on Corvette Forum said it was a great article.

Exactly why I never open the C4 Forum over there.
Posted on: 2011/9/12 15:44

JeffK Re: "buying a C4" article
Elite Guru
High Point, NC
1440 Posts

Quote:

SpectatorRacing wrote:

it honks at me in anger for just about everything.

I just spit my lunch all over my desk. I'm still laughing actually.
Posted on: 2011/9/12 15:53

Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Quote:

JeffK wrote:

It gets mad if I leave the key in it, it gets mad if I take the key with me. Sometimes it tells me it doesn't detect the key even though it's in my hand, which is in the car. it will lock and unlock (and honk at me the whole time), then tell me there is no fob detected.

Oh, and if you push the button and try to start it in any of these conditions it just shuts down electronically. Everything goes dark. So there is no way to know if it's a low battery, a bad starter, no spark, theft prevention, or whatever. It just goes dark.

Seriously, it's like a woman. If I ask what's wrong it just says "nothing" and sits there with its arms crossed pouting and looking angry.

And to further that analogy, thank goodnees she's hot as hell or I would have stopped putting up with her shit a long time ago!
Posted on: 2011/9/12 17:10

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

SpectatorRacing wrote:

Seriously, it's like a woman. If I ask what's wrong it just says "nothing" and sits there with its arms crossed pouting and looking angry.

Maybe you're not talking to your car in a tender, loving manner.
Posted on: 2011/9/12 17:17

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

The other dirty secret from the C5 and C6 - the driveline isn't as stout... There have been a number of cases where the differential has simply blown to bits, same with the T56... neither are as strong as the ZF6 and D44.
Posted on: 2011/9/12 19:29

Vetron87 Re: "buying a C4" article
Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

I enjoyed your post Jon. The C4 is what it is! a techo leader for GM. Cram all the latest ideas and tech into a production car and bang instant quirks. Ever own a Jag?
Owned my 87 since it was new, never had a problem until 5 years ago, its gettin old! shit happens.
The biggest POS I ever owned was a 69 Dodge Hemi Charger, rattled, unreliable, burned oil, starter issues, charging issues, and that was the first 2 days after I bought it new.
Read an article about the Hemi Chargers today and you would think that it is the sacred muscle car of the 60's. The C4 is an easy target, they are plentiful, cheap, and in our area they are usually beat! choked with a restrictive exhaust smog equipment, and weight todays Camery would give it good run.
Posted on: 2011/9/12 21:23

Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
The other dirty secret from the C5 and C6 - the driveline isn't as stout... There have been a number of cases where the differential has simply blown to bits, same with the T56... neither are as strong as the ZF6 and D44.

I'm not sure I agree with this, with the exception of the 2005 C6. There are a lot of the diffs from that year that let go. AFAIK there aren't any more issues with LSx drivetrains than anything else. I've seen some LS camarobirds have trans and diff problems, but it's not the same parts.

I will agree that the ZF6/D44 combo is impressive, though. That's probably the ONLY thing on my car that has never been touched (except to change fluids). 10 years of racin'.

Of course the ZF6 is a friggin' boat anchor. That level of robustness isn't free.
Posted on: 2011/9/12 23:40

Huskerland
14759 Posts

Quote:

SpectatorRacing wrote:
Quote:

JeffK wrote:

It gets mad if I leave the key in it, it gets mad if I take the key with me. Sometimes it tells me it doesn't detect the key even though it's in my hand, which is in the car. it will lock and unlock (and honk at me the whole time), then tell me there is no fob detected.

Oh, and if you push the button and try to start it in any of these conditions it just shuts down electronically. Everything goes dark. So there is no way to know if it's a low battery, a bad starter, no spark, theft prevention, or whatever. It just goes dark.

And to further that analogy, thank goodnees she's hot as hell or I would have stopped putting up with her shit a long time ago!

I remember when you first got the car you said you were going to ruin another nice car...........obviously she heard you.......and now there will be hell to pay......I like Bill, suggest soft talk and some nice new toys for her.
Posted on: 2011/9/12 23:50

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Ultraman wrote:
I like Bill, suggest soft talk and some nice new toys for her.

Yea,

Say nice things to her

Buy her little gifts

Give her a pat on her tushie as you walk by

Check your dip stick regularly

Wait........what were we talking about again?
Posted on: 2011/9/13 0:31

Matatk Re: "buying a C4" article
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:

Really? Pop the hood and wash the opti twice a week and tell me how many problems you have with it
Posted on: 2011/9/13 2:21

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Quote:

BillH wrote:

Really? Pop the hood and wash the opti twice a week and tell me how many problems you have with it

My opti gets wet every time I wash the engine. So, the answer is zero.
Posted on: 2011/9/13 2:35

Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Quote:

I remember when you first got the car you said you were going to ruin another nice car...........obviously she heard you.......and now there will be hell to pay......I like Bill, suggest soft talk and some nice new toys for her.

Sigh...you guys must be right. I'll get her a new bra, something expensive.

I almost wrote "ya know, I've never had problems with the C4", but just thinking it almost made me spit my coffee out.

But damn I love these cars!
Posted on: 2011/9/13 12:19

italian1969 Re: "buying a C4" article
Guru Newb
7 Posts

that was funny. got a kick ot of it . my 96 is just awsome . screw him.
Posted on: 2011/9/16 0:30

TommyT-Bone Re: "buying a C4" article
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33772 Posts

I think the C4 is a good starter and finisher Corvette. The guy that made the idiot comment was an idiot.
Posted on: 2011/9/16 3:38

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.