Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
228 user(s) are online (191 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Z25
Refers to 1993 Anniversary Editions; also known as Ruby.

These are the actual cars honored as anniversary cars.

They have RPO Z25 to prove it....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

WT94CP Should I flush coolant '94
Guru Newb
5 Posts

New to the forum. Have been reading about cooling system flushing..I just purchased a '94 Auto with 26k miles. I have no service history. Should I flush the cooling system? A reputable used Vette dealer in Dallas told me to test the fluid with a coolant tester, and if it tested good, not to mess with it. The overflow tank had brownish fluid, so I cleaned and replaced the fluid with new. The fluid in the main tank seems fairly clean / green and tested ok? If you flush it, the local chevy dealer wants to connect it to a machine and not revive the knock sensors? That is not what the maint manual says....

One other question...should the rear end grease be changed?

Car runs like new...I had a new one back in '95 I ordered probably one of a kind the way I optioned it, should have kept it but $$$ got in the way.

Thanks for the help,

Chris
Posted on: 2011/10/28 20:50
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

TommyT-Bone Re: Should I flush coolant '94
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33775 Posts

Seeing the car is 17 years old and you have no history on the vehicle it's best to bring the car up to the standards your comfortable with. It's a good idea to go over it and clean and lubricate everything. Check the car from top to bottom and make a list of everything that works and everything that doesn't. Parts are readily available for most everything. Check the color of your brake fluid. Is it clear? Belts and hoses? Tires checked or cracked. There is a thread on changing the rear end fluid. Some people put in an additive. Best of luck on your purchase. And if you have any questions don't be afraid to ask. Check out our search function and see if you get lucky with any of your querries.

Most important

Enjoy the ride _____________ ___________
Posted on: 2011/10/28 21:09

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33775 Posts

Check this out. This ought to keep you busy. Maybe all of us should go over the checklist again.

http://www.corvettephotographs.com/c4vettes/prepurchase.htm
Posted on: 2011/10/28 21:24

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33775 Posts

Posted on: 2011/10/28 21:30

BillH Re: Should I flush coolant '94
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

WT94CP wrote:
A reputable used Vette dealer in Dallas told me to test the fluid with a coolant tester, and if it tested good, not to mess with it.
Chris

Welcome aboard.

I guess the test was to see what temperature (how low), right?

That doesn't tell you how long the coolant's been in there. Waterpump lubricant and additives degrage over time.

So, even with that low milage (congrats BTW), if you change it ypu will know that it's fresh and know when to change it next.

Do you do your own work? Because the correct way to flush the system is to pull the knock sensors and get the crap out of the block. It's not a big deal but it's messy and you have to be careful when pulling the sensors.

I can write up a how to if you like.
Posted on: 2011/10/28 21:30

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33775 Posts

Posted on: 2011/10/28 21:32

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

WT94CP wrote:
One other question...should the rear end grease be changed?

Chris

Nope.
Posted on: 2011/10/28 21:32

1Fast04Vert Re: Should I flush coolant '94
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Pulling the knock sensors to drain the block can be a problem. If they are frozen or overly tight the only way to remove them also destroys them. At $35-$48 each that gets expensive. I drained the radiator, but used a shop vac to suck as much as possible out of the block when I last did mine. Be sure to use the bleeder screws and watch the temp when refilling to avoid an overheat.

For the rear end just leave it alone. No reason to worry about that one.
Posted on: 2011/10/28 22:13

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

95vette wrote:
Pulling the knock sensors to drain the block can be a problem. If they are frozen or overly tight the only way to remove them also destroys them.

Respectfully, I don't agree with that, Andy. They are tricky but can be taken out intact.
Posted on: 2011/10/29 0:14

WT94CP Re: Should I flush coolant '94
Guru Newb
5 Posts

Thank you everyone for the great information. I would appreciate a how to on the knock sensors. I usually do my own work, as long as it is not to difficult. I just got through refinishing the center console trim where the rubber coating was damaged..I have to say it came out like new, put a new serpentine belt on, and dyed a worn spot on the drivers seat. The car seems to be in great condition. The tranny fluid is bright red and smells fresh, power steering looks good. The car has new tires and the paint was sealed at the dealer when new with some shield coating, so it still looks new. I was impressed when the driving lenses were not chewed up with road rash, and the floor pans had not been damaged underneath. Think I might have gotten a good deal this time around.
Posted on: 2011/10/29 0:56

Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Bill, tell me how to remove a frozen knock sensor, I just went thru that when I pulled the LT1 out. They would not budge.

WT94CP - Sounds like you got a nice one. Any pictures?
Posted on: 2011/10/29 1:26

Guru Newb
5 Posts

I am currently out of town, and will post some pictures when I get home to the PC...I gave in and purchased an IPad, which is neat, but won't do some things, like upload files..at least I cannot figure it out!

One thing this car has that I said I would never own is the Torch Red Interior..it scared being sooo red! I have had a Black and Tan...but am actually getting used to it and am liking it. When you are driving, of coarse, you cannot see the seat, so the little red on the door is not to overpowering. Guess white and red goes back to the original, so it is classic.

Chris
Posted on: 2011/10/29 1:40

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

The only way to remove the sensors without worrying about damage is to use a 1/2 in., 6 point socket and a breaker bar. You must hold the socket square to the block. That means putting a lot of pressure on the socket to keep it seated. The reason to use the 1/2 in. breaker bar is control, you have to pull on the bar in a way that it doesn't cock the socket and screw up the sensor. This is why you can't use 3/8ths drive, you can't get the proper leverage. And, with the engine in the car, you'll only get 1/8th turn on the breaker before you run into an obstacle, motor mount, whatever. But that's enough to get it started.

If the motor's out of the car, it should be on a stand so it doesn't move around.

The last one I did was extremely tight and I had to put an 18 inch pipe on the breaker bar - slow steady pressure on the bar.

BTW, do not use an extension between the socket & breaker bar, that will increase the chances of putting a sideload on the sensor.
Posted on: 2011/10/29 1:44

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Chris, the knock sensors are on the bottom of the block, both sides. remove the shields & wire connector. Carefully remove the sensors, do not clean the sealant off the threads.
When removing the sensors, get as far away as possible, or you will get a facefull of coolant.

Stick a hose nozzle in the hole im the block and give it a good blast. Do it 3 times, a bunch of crap should come out, This is the crap that you can't remove with regular flushing.
Reinstall the sensors with the existing sealant on the threads. I don't have the book in front of me, I;ll look up the torque spec.

Obviously, drain the radiator first.
To refill, open the bleeder on the thermostat housing (put some rags under there). Fill the system until coolant starts to come out the bleed hole. Note the bleeder has a screwdriver slot on the knob, use this not the hex where it screws into the housing.
Tighten the bleeder (finger tight) and fill to the top of the surge tank. Start the motor and fill the tank back up. Rub the car until the thermostat opens (hold the hose, you feel it get hot when the t-stat opens).
Then bleed at the t-stat housing until you get a solid stream of coolant. This will get most of the air out.
You can see bubbles in the surge tank for a while (more air is being purged there).
Drive the car, recheck/refill after it cools back down.
Posted on: 2011/10/29 1:59

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

The torque spec on the sensors is 14 ft.lb. these have pipe thread so not much torque is needed.

Suggest you leave the covers off until you refill the system and check for leaks.
Posted on: 2011/10/29 2:40

Matatk Re: Should I flush coolant '94
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

Welcome to the site.

If it were my car I'd change the fluid based on age.

As far as the dealer flush, they probably use a fluid flush machine that replaces the fluid as it's running with the thermostat open so pulling the knock sensors isn't necessary.

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/10/29 3:55

Ultraman Re: Should I flush coolant '94
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14761 Posts

Welcome to the show Chris......looking forward to the pics.
Posted on: 2011/10/29 3:56

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Welcome to the site.

As far as the dealer flush, they probably use a fluid flush machine that replaces the fluid as it's running with the thermostat open so pulling the knock sensors isn't necessary.

Matthew

That won't get the crap out of the block.
Posted on: 2011/10/31 15:09

Guru Newb
5 Posts

Thanks for all the info!...Looks like I have another project when I get home..I'm also going to take the A/C programmer apart and clean it out. The LED above the OFF button sometime lights, and sometimes not. I know this is a trivial thing but it drives me crazy. I just purchased the 2 book set 1994 Factory Service Manuals off of EBay for $60. Good condition and seemed like a good price.
Posted on: 2011/10/31 15:29

bogus Re: Should I flush coolant '94
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Welcome Chris!

Sounds like you got a real clean car there! I would be cautious, tho... low mileage trailer queens can cause some grief upfront... oil leaks mostly. If it hasn't been driven, the oil seals will dry and weep.

Front cover seals and rear main are the greatest concern. Also, check the RTV seals on the intake manifold. They will harden and let oil through. The oil pan can get problematic, too. Just a heads up and a don't be too surprised thing.

GM has no recommendation for rear end lube change. I live by a 30k to 45k mile interval.

I would consider plugs and O2 sensors... O2s don't last forever, and the OEM AC Delco platinum plugs are garbage. They have this little platinum puck attached to the ground strap. Over time, it falls/burns off and the gap grows from .050 to .065. I use NGK Platinums.

Again, welcome!
Posted on: 2011/10/31 15:50

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

RickAnthony Re: Should I flush coolant '94
ASE Master Certified
Downers Grove, IL
703 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Welcome to the site.

Matthew

That won't get the crap out of the block.

No matter what you still won't get everything. I agree pulling the knock sensors may get a little more junk yet out of the block no doubt...

However if you damage a sensor or the threads on the block ect, you maybe be opening yourself up to a new problem that could have been avoided.. also keep in mind rust is a big problem in the "salt belt" and many of these cars have the original knock sensors that have been installed for over 16 years.

I'm not saying I disagree with your process at all, I am just saying that flushing regularly will help avoid the build up in the first place and to take caution when pulling the knock sensors if you choose to...

I own a flush machine, so I do mine every 2 years going to do the vette this year before I put it away for the season.
-=Rick
Posted on: 2011/11/1 4:01
RickAnthonyMotorsports.NET

screamin_conure Re: Should I flush coolant '94
Senior Guru
Northwest Indiana
346 Posts

Quote:

WT94CP wrote:
I am currently out of town, and will post some pictures when I get home to the PC...I gave in and purchased an IPad, which is neat, but won't do some things, like upload files..at least I cannot figure it out!

One thing this car has that I said I would never own is the Torch Red Interior..it scared being sooo red! I have had a Black and Tan...but am actually getting used to it and am liking it. When you are driving, of coarse, you cannot see the seat, so the little red on the door is not to overpowering. Guess white and red goes back to the original, so it is classic.

Chris

Welcome to the forum Chris! As you can see from my avatar, my '92 is also white on red. It wasn't my first color choice, and it took me a little while to get used to it, but now I love it. As my wife describes it "classy on the outside, party on the inside"! "Fire and Ice", just like the original Corvette colors of '53!

Sounds like you found a cream puff. Whether you pull the knock sensors or not, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to drain and replace the coolant, just so you have the peace of mind knowing that it's all good.

You're in the right place. TONS of C4 expertise here.

Ron
Posted on: 2011/11/1 12:41

screamin_conure Re: Should I flush coolant '94
Senior Guru
Northwest Indiana
346 Posts

Quote:

WT94CP wrote:
Thanks for all the info!...Looks like I have another project when I get home..I'm also going to take the A/C programmer apart and clean it out. The LED above the OFF button sometime lights, and sometimes not. I know this is a trivial thing but it drives me crazy. I just purchased the 2 book set 1994 Factory Service Manuals off of EBay for $60. Good condition and seemed like a good price.

You'll find the FSM indispensable.

I had issues with my A/C module too. Some of the buttons didn't work. You'll be amazed how simple that thing is on the inside. Mine was spotless on the inside, but I went ahead and cleaned all the contacts with a swab and some alcohol anyway. Worked like a charm afterward.
Posted on: 2011/11/1 12:51

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

RickAnthony wrote:
No matter what you still won't get everything. I agree pulling the knock sensors may get a little more junk yet out of the block no doubt...

However if you damage a sensor or the threads on the block ect, you maybe be opening yourself up to a new problem that could have been avoided.. also keep in mind rust is a big problem in the "salt belt" and many of these cars have the original knock sensors that have been installed for over 16 years.

I'm not saying I disagree with your process at all, I am just saying that flushing regularly will help avoid the build up in the first place and to take caution when pulling the knock sensors if you choose to...

I own a flush machine, so I do mine every 2 years going to do the vette this year before I put it away for the season.
-=Rick

I have to say, more than a little bit of crud, Rick.
The first I did my 92, I first drained the radiator, refilled and ran to opp temp. Then drained again. When I pulled the sensors, I was very supprised how much crud came out. And when I used a hose on the sensor holes, a large amount of crud came out again. All I could say at that point was- wow. Especially since the coolant looked good in the surge tank before I drained it and the refill water came out cloudy but not that bad.

Using a flush machine will exchange the coolant that's in the block (the coolant that's missed by just draining the radiator). Doing a flush at home by just draining the rad will leave a half gallon + in the system.

Agreed on flushing regurally to avoid build up, I'm huge on maintainence but anyone who buys a C4 these days has a 5% chance of getting one that's been flushed evert 2 year (IMO). And I'll bet that applys to all the cars on the road.

Even the FSM states the need to pull the sensors to do a flush and notes the amount of coolant left in the block after a radiator drain.

I've pulled origional sensors on 4 cars so far with no problems.

But it's all up to the owners anyway.
Posted on: 2011/11/1 13:50

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Hm... I do keep fresh coolant in... so I may be ok, but a good flush may not be a bad idea.

I do have a few thoughts on the knock sensor debate:

1. they are original... replacing isn't a bad idea.

2. I doubt the block will be hurt; there is a sealant on the sensor that should protect the threads. besides, the damned thing is cast steel... it ain't going to be easy to muck up the threads.
Posted on: 2011/11/1 18:23

Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Apparently Bill knows more about them than I do. When I tried to pull them out of my original 95 LT1 the center section of the knock sensor turned, but the housing that threads into the block would not turn. Maybe a pipe wrench on the housing would have gotten them out, but the sensor would have been junk.
Posted on: 2011/11/1 19:08

Guru Newb
5 Posts

Well, went camping with the kids and never got around to messing with the car...Maybe my next days off I will get around to it. I did receive the service manuals in the mail. I also purchased a owners manual in the pouch, the car did not have one. Also got an original brochure in the sleeve. I might order the window sticker and a build sheet, maybe for Christmas??

I attached a few Bright Red Photos! I have the white top in the bag, I don't think its been on the car since delivery. I guess I will keep the blue plexi on it.

Attach file:

jpg  Vette 1.jpg (35.01 KB)
6430_4eba05bad5f99.jpg 640X428 px

jpg  Vette 2.jpg (40.49 KB)
6430_4eba05cc64afa.jpg 640X428 px

jpg  Vette 4.jpg (33.95 KB)
6430_4eba060f6ea19.jpg 640X428 px

jpg  Vette 5.jpg (36.21 KB)
6430_4eba0619582ea.jpg 640X428 px
Posted on: 2011/11/9 4:50

RickAnthony Re: Should I flush coolant '94
ASE Master Certified
Downers Grove, IL
703 Posts

Nice!
Posted on: 2011/11/9 13:10
RickAnthonyMotorsports.NET

flyboy Re: Should I flush coolant '94
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

Sweet! If you're in Texas, that white top might come in real handy, assuming you drive the car.
Posted on: 2011/11/9 16:23

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I was thinking the same thing, Flyboy!!! The summer sun will bake you alive! The hard top will do wonders to keep the insides much cooler and cut down on sun-induced glare.
Posted on: 2011/11/9 19:13

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.