Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
299 user(s) are online (256 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  HUD
HEADS UP DISPLAY. A DIGITAL PROJECTED DISPLAY ON INSIDE OF WINDSHIELD CONTAINING VEHICLE INFO SUCH AS SPEED, ENGINE TEMP, RPM, ETC. FOR DRIVER INFOR...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

TommyT-Bone And That's The Way It Is (Postal Reallignment) PR&C
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Posted on: 2011/12/5 15:17
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

pianoguy Re: And That's The Way It Is (Postal Reallignment) PR&C
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

That makes sense - let's see, we're unprofitable, so let's make our service lousier.
Posted on: 2011/12/5 15:23

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

BillH Re: And That's The Way It Is (Postal Reallignment) PR&C
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Yea, they're trying to close the sorting center here. That means if I mail a letter from south Reno to north Reno it will go from my mailbox to the post office then get put on a truck and hauled to Sacramento to the sorting center who will put it on a truck to be hauled to Reno (hopefully without 10 feet of snow on Donner Summit) where it will be dropped off at the post office to be out on the poatman's van.

Easy peasy.
Posted on: 2011/12/5 15:28

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Why don't they just double the rates for bulk (junk) mail?
Posted on: 2011/12/5 15:33

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

pianoguy wrote:
Why don't they just double the rates for bulk mail?

Cause....that might make sense?

So, they're loosing money??? Ye, this summer on the news they reported how letter carriers all over the country were being paid full salary to stay home on stand by. Duh.
Posted on: 2011/12/5 15:36

Ultraman Re: And That's The Way It Is (Postal Reallignment) PR&C
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14746 Posts

Why doesn't the US Government take them over.......they have a great efficient business model............
Posted on: 2011/12/5 15:39

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Ultraman wrote:
Why doesn't the US Government take them over.......they have a great efficient business model............

Yea, they could deliver in Chevy Volts with Obama stickers on the hoods.
Posted on: 2011/12/5 15:42

TommyT-Bone Re: And That's The Way It Is (Postal Reallignment) PR&C
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

First let me state that the Post Office was created over 200 years ago. Pony Express lost out to the mail trains, trains lost out to planes, and so goes the history of the Postal Service. In it's current form the Postal Service has lost out to electronic information transfer. It is faltering as a result of progress. It's a dinosuar of sorts dying a slow and painful death. Sure Americans want it and have become accustomed to it but they are the very reason it is going away. Population grows and volume diminishes. The postal service serves more addresses with lower volume. The junk mail you receive helps defray some of the expense but non profits and peridicals pay a paultry sum. Yes, payroll and benefits eat up the bulk of postal monies. Salaries are not out of line with other so called private delivery operations. (FED EX and UPS). The talk of turning delivery over to the private sector is laughable. Those two companies combined could not handle the volume increase. I've read of using WalMarts as delivery hubs. Part time, low wage, no benefit employees handling your mail. That ought to go over big. Don't be surprised in that scenario that your private information is sold off, your valuables, credit cards and other important items disappear, after all, a man has to make a living. Call it shrinkage. Effect on the communities. The mayors and govenors are already voicing their concerns. With the loss of jobs comes the loss of income producing business supported by those displaced workers. Those BurgerKings, McDonalds, gas stations and convenience stores, not to forget the money spent in the private sector by those very workers for services and products that support their way of life. So say good bye to the USPS as you know it. It's not their fault. It dies from change. Change in the way you and I do business. No different than you giving up a car and going back to a horse. Highly unlikely. So saddle up, changes are coming.
Posted on: 2011/12/5 15:44

Ultraman Re: And That's The Way It Is (Postal Reallignment) PR&C
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14746 Posts

But..........I hate change.......

Why don't they just charge what it takes to make it all fly? Yeah they will lose business but then that will take less folks to work and they will save money in the end. To have a working business you have to keep expenses down and have a decent markup on your products or service.....I don't think they do.
Posted on: 2011/12/5 15:50

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

pianoguy wrote:
Why don't they just double the rates for bulk (junk) mail?

Because at that price point mailers would seek an alternative. In the current model the USPS has to go out anyway so they try to offset expense by piggybacking circulars.
Posted on: 2011/12/5 15:52

Matatk Re: And That's The Way It Is (Postal Reallignment) PR&C
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

I read this article, too. Unfortunate. I don't have the answer. The problem with the USPS, like many other "government" type agencies is waste and poor management. I've talked to some postal workers and their descriptions of inefficiency is amazing. USPS needs an overhaul, not sure if this is the right answer, though.
Posted on: 2011/12/5 18:01

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Posted on: 2011/12/5 20:36

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

It's simple evolution. To survive you must adapt. Less volume means lesser need for daily delivery. Even if you got your mail every other day would it really make that big a difference? I don't believe so unless you like to time things to the last possible day. Even then, it's the consumer that should adapt. Mail early whatever must be mailed and dont push to the deadline. Banks will whine but they're the ones that create this with online bill pay as does all other major company promoting online billing and online payment. It's the new way to do things. You can't have both. The consumer and business has made it's choice and it is not the USPS. What happens when a business doesn't get enough volume to continue production? It closes or suspends operations. Same principles apply. So we'll see change.
Posted on: 2011/12/5 20:45

Matatk Re: And That's The Way It Is (Postal Reallignment) PR&C
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

I remember them talking before about eliminating Saturday delivery for residential customers. Business delivery would be maintained. That sounded like a good idea.
Posted on: 2011/12/5 20:56

KPotter Re: And That's The Way It Is (Postal Reallignment) PR&C
Elite Guru
Cuyahoga Falls OH
1072 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
First let me state that the Post Office was created over 200 years ago. Pony Express lost out to the mail trains, trains lost out to planes, and so goes the history of the Postal Service. In it's current form the Postal Service has lost out to electronic information transfer. It is faltering as a result of progress. It's a dinosuar of sorts dying a slow and painful death. Sure Americans want it and have become accustomed to it but they are the very reason it is going away. Population grows and volume diminishes. The postal service serves more addresses with lower volume. The junk mail you receive helps defray some of the expense but non profits and peridicals pay a paultry sum. Yes, payroll and benefits eat up the bulk of postal monies. Salaries are not out of line with other so called private delivery operations. (FED EX and UPS). The talk of turning delivery over to the private sector is laughable. Those two companies combined could not handle the volume increase. I've read of using WalMarts as delivery hubs. Part time, low wage, no benefit employees handling your mail. That ought to go over big. Don't be surprised in that scenario that your private information is sold off, your valuables, credit cards and other important items disappear, after all, a man has to make a living. Call it shrinkage. Effect on the communities. The mayors and govenors are already voicing their concerns. With the loss of jobs comes the loss of income producing business supported by those displaced workers. Those BurgerKings, McDonalds, gas stations and convenience stores, not to forget the money spent in the private sector by those very workers for services and products that support their way of life. So say good bye to the USPS as you know it. It's not their fault. It dies from change. Change in the way you and I do business. No different than you giving up a car and going back to a horse. Highly unlikely. So saddle up, changes are coming.

Tommy, you are spot on with this. I have been saying the same thing for a long time now.

The people that will be hurt the most are the ones, like my Mother, who do not have and refuse to get a computer / e-mail.
Posted on: 2011/12/5 21:00

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
It's simple evoltution. To survive you must adapt. Less volume means lesser need for daily delivery. Even if you got your mail every other day would it really make that big a difference? I don't believe so unless you like to time things to the last possible day. Even then, it's the consumer that should adapt. mail early whatever must be mailed and dont push to the deadline. Banks will whine but they're the ones that create this with online bill pay as does all other major company promting online billing and online payment. It's the new way to do things. You can't have both. The consumer and business has made it's choice and it is not the USPS. What happens when a business doesn't get enough volume to continue production? It closes or suspends operations. Same principles apply. So we'll see change.

I've seen a TV commercial recently for the USPS where they are touting how paper invoices, statements, etc. never have viruses like those nasty electronic ones - LOL! Nice try, though.
Posted on: 2011/12/5 22:56

CentralCoaster Re: And That's The Way It Is (Postal Reallignment) PR&C
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I can do without it. If it were up to me I'd have the mailman arrested for littering on my property. Every day he comes here and puts trash on my porch.

I pay all my bills online. Who writes checks anymore?
Posted on: 2011/12/6 1:08

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

pianoguy wrote:

I've seen a TV commercial recently for the USPS where they are touting how paper invoices, statements, etc. never have viruses like those nasty electronic ones - LOL! Nice try, though.

They must have forgotten about the unabomber and anthrax. Those are nasty contagious.
Posted on: 2011/12/6 1:09

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
The talk of turning delivery over to the private sector is laughable. Those two companies combined could not handle the volume increase. I've read of using WalMarts as delivery hubs. Part time, low wage, no benefit employees handling your mail. That ought to go over big. Don't be surprised in that scenario that your private information is sold off, your valuables, credit cards and other important items disappear,

The free market will take care of it. The USPS is not federally subsidized is dying solely due to lack of demand for their services.

People would gladly accept their mail from the lowest bidder. They'd watch a 30 second commercial before opening their packages if it meant a discount. Americans have been selling off their dignity for decades to save a buck in the short term. And they will keep doing it until they don't have a buck to spend. Then they will vote more bucks into their pocket.

Obviously this will drastically increase the cost of living for those with dignity when they become a thinned out minority that will be more expensive to meet the demands of.

The dignity market is really booming. I think I'm going to go into film production and start producing ATM commercials. On the side I'll market neck tattoo real estate to large corporations.
Posted on: 2011/12/6 1:16

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Posted on: 2011/12/6 1:20

vetteblondie Re: And That's The Way It Is (Postal Reallignment) PR&C
Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4652 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
I can do without it. If it were up to me I'd have the mailman arrested for littering on my property. Every day he comes here and puts trash on my porch.

I pay all my bills online. Who writes checks anymore?

I write one check a month to my landlord for my rent in another town, really too far to drive it to him. If he had a deposit only account here, I'd do that instead. The utility company mails me a bill but I'd just as soon have it sent to me on line. I'd pay that online but it's not far from my house and I can go there on the way to someplace else to pay it. They charge a fee to pay online. Not sure why, keeps them from having to pay some chick to stand in a teller window to take my payment.
The rest of the mail I get is mostly garbage on Wednesdays.
Sure, viruses don't come in paper mails like in emails, but still annoying junk all the same and I have to contend with it, plus all that paper pisses off the tree huggers.... and, that's a whole nuther can of worms...
Posted on: 2011/12/6 19:21

Yes, I'm a bitch... just not YOURS.

Resized Image

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.