Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
201 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  National Corvette Museum
The mission of the National Corvette Museum is to celebrate the Corvette's invention, and preserve the legendary automobile's past, present, and futu...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

MK 82 Yes or No?
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
439 Posts

I will be installing a new cam in my 96 LT4 soon. I know I can use the same used stock roller lifters with my new roller cam. 50,000 miles on lifters.

Would you change them and if so, what would you use?

Would also appreciate a part # for stock LT4 lifters.
Posted on: 2008/2/13 23:35

Notorious RE:Yes or No?
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

What lift is on the cam you're using? Unless it's very radical, I wouldn't worry. I changed my stock roller lifters at well over 100K miles and they were still performing well. They had been used with the Hotcam, stiffer springs, etc. for about 25K miles by then. The only reason I changed them is because I had come across a very low mileage set by that time. So while the engine was apart anyway, I swapped. I'll be using the originals again in a motor for my hot rod Model A.
I wouldn't give them another moments thought, they'll be fine. These are very good lifters in these LTx motors.
Posted on: 2008/2/14 0:55

Jeffvette RE:Yes or No?
Elite Guru
Not on CF
1297 Posts

You're in there, might as well for some piece of mind. I'd suggest using the upgraded LS7 lifter. It's a direct replacement. I can sell them at 135 shipped.
Posted on: 2008/2/14 1:03
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

biggrizzly RE:Yes or No?
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

In my book its a waste of money to go replacing fine lifters on a roller cam with only 50k miles. If you have some extra cash and don't NEED other stuff, then yes, replacements would be an insurance policy. But I bet your old ones are as good as new if you maintained the car and changed the oil regularly and had no problems. 50k miles is hardly broken in.
Posted on: 2008/2/14 1:14

Elite Guru
Not on CF
1297 Posts

Quote:
In my book its a waste of money to go replacing fine lifters on a roller cam with only 50k miles. If you have some extra cash and don't NEED other stuff, then yes, replacements would be an insurance policy. But I bet your old ones are as good as new if you maintained the car and changed the oil regularly and had no problems. 50k miles is hardly broken in.

That's a big "if" if he is not the original owner. It amazes me as to what some Vette owners neglect to do. I imagine since he is doing a hot cam conversion, he probably does not Sunday drive the vehicle. It probably sees some high rpm use.
Posted on: 2008/2/14 1:18

RollaMo-LT4 RE:Yes or No?
Trivia Winner
Rolla, Missouri
422 Posts

From the news today, I bet Hendrick Motorsports might have a few sets they would let go real cheap.
Posted on: 2008/2/14 1:20

4543 Posts

Quote:
That's a big "if" if he is not the original owner. It amazes me as to what some Vette owners neglect to do. I imagine since he is doing a hot cam conversion, he probably does not Sunday drive the vehicle. It probably sees some high rpm use.

Whatever - As I said its just insurance. too much insurance is sold on all the Corvette Forums as far as I'm concerned. As long as people got extra money to throw on stuff, thats cool! I've done the same. I just think there are better things to insure than lifters at 50k miles.
Posted on: 2008/2/14 1:31

crash RE:Yes or No?
Guru
WRIGHT CITY MO 63390
977 Posts

replace them with the same ones recommended for that cam from the manufacture
dont be penny wise and pound foolish thats like taking a shower and putting the same underwear back on
thats what i would do unless you feel lucky
thats a lot of work if one goes bad and wipes out a cam lobe
u mite chkwid pappyfreebyrd himwell sat u stait
Posted on: 2008/2/14 1:46

Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

Whatever - As I said its just insurance. too much insurance is sold on all the Corvette Forums as far as I'm concerned. As long as people got extra money to throw on stuff, thats cool! I've done the same. I just think there are better things to insure than lifters at 50k miles.

I agree. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone more particular than me when it comes to things as critical as internal engine work. In my time I've built and done other major work to literally hundreds (if not more) engines of most any type you could imagine. This includes both gas and diesel, stock and modified. Yet I've never had a catastrophic problem with any of them. Obviously if there's any doubt, I don't take a chance. But Chevy roller lifters are extremely reliable. And if they come out of an engine that's a known quantity and are fully inspected, I'd have no concerns after that in using them for a reasonable street build.
Posted on: 2008/2/14 1:53

4543 Posts

These are roller lifter cams we are talking about here. The resources I used when rebuilding my engine all said that there are no worries with reusing good roller lifters.
Replace if it makes you feel better - no argument from me there. There is no pound foolishness about reusing good lifters.
Posted on: 2008/2/14 1:55

Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:
These are roller lifter cams we are talking about here. The resources I used when rebuilding my engine all said that there are no worries with reusing good roller lifters.
Replace if it makes you feel better - no argument from me there. There is no pound foolishness about reusing good lifters.

Although only vaguely applicable here, when I was regularly overhauling HD diesel truck engines, in a well cared for engine reusing the roller parts in even one million mile engines was quite routine. This included even the cams themselves.
Posted on: 2008/2/14 2:06

dan0617 RE:Yes or No?
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

Although I just got mine fired up and haven't driven it yet, I reused my stock roller lifters. All advice pointed to reusing them. I'm going to be less than 6500 rpm's, .544 lift on the cam, and they worked fine before the teardown. I'm confident they will be fine.
Posted on: 2008/2/14 2:36

MK 82 RE:Yes or No?
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
439 Posts

Quote:

Where does it say it is a HotCam conversion? It is my toy that I drive when I want to feel good. Extra Horsepower feels good.

I purposely left off the pedigree of the replacement cam to head off the HotCam debate and I'll be damned if it didn't happen anyway. All I care about is lifters. Let's try to stick to that!
Posted on: 2008/2/14 3:03

tobijohn RE:Yes or No?
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
515 Posts

Are you installing the cam yourself? If so, I wouldn't mind lending a hand just to gain the experience. I'm pretty sure I'd be a little bit more helpful than a trained chimpanzee. Also, if you're interested, I'm a member of the Grand Sport Registry and have access to a step-by-step illustrated Hot Cam install guide. I know it's not a Hot Cam but I'd think as far as the R&R is concerned, a cam is a cam. Let me know...
Posted on: 2008/2/14 3:30

AIRFOIL FREE!

Elite Guru
Not on CF
1297 Posts

Quote:

Where does it say it is a HotCam conversion? It is my toy that I drive when I want to feel good. Extra Horsepower feels good.

I purposely left off the pedigree of the replacement cam to head off the HotCam debate and I'll be damned if it didn't happen anyway. All I care about is lifters. Let's try to stick to that!

I could care less if it's a hot cam or a cc306 or anything else. You are wanting more power. Spend the hundred bucks on the lifters or don't.
Posted on: 2008/2/14 3:38

Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
439 Posts

Thanks man! I am comfortable with the installlation but I have a garage with a fridge full of beer and you are welcome anytime.

I have stockpiled for one marathon session for my LT4:

1. Cam for LT4 --- May be or may not be a Hot Cam.

2. EM coated longtubes.

3. DeWitt radiator.

4. Port matching head and intake.

Objects in the mirror are LOSING!
Posted on: 2008/2/14 3:41

DrEvil RE:Yes or No?
Guru
Get in mah belly!
71 Posts

I've been using the stockers in mine on my HC swap for over 30k miles now. No problems so far.
Posted on: 2008/2/14 5:00

toptechx6 RE:Yes or No?
Senior Guru
south Florida
362 Posts

Since no one else addressed your original question, the part number for the stock lifters is 17120735 if you are still interested.
Posted on: 2008/2/14 9:36

tobijohn RE:Yes or No?
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
515 Posts

Quote:
Thanks man! I am comfortable with the installlation but I have a garage with a fridge full of beer and you are welcome anytime.

2. EM coated longtubes.

3. DeWitt radiator.

Well, if you don't mind the company, let me know before you begin any of those upgrades. Just about all of them are things I'd like to do myself eventually...
Posted on: 2008/2/14 12:21

Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
439 Posts

Quote:
Since no one else addressed your original question, the part number for the stock lifters is 17120735 if you are still interested.

Thanks!!
Posted on: 2008/2/14 15:22

Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
439 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

2. EM coated longtubes.

3. DeWitt radiator.

Well, if you don't mind the company, let me know before you begin any of those upgrades. Just about all of them are things I'd like to do myself eventually...

I will do that. I may be a few months.
Posted on: 2008/2/14 15:25

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.