Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
289 user(s) are online (207 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Collector Edition
RPO Z15.

1996 only.

Silver with black, red or grey interior.

LT1/A4 or LT4/ZF6....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

captmike13 Thursday 16 Oct 2014
Elite Guru
Hillsboro Mo
2166 Posts

Good morning gang.

Congrats to the Royals.
Looks like partly cloudy here with early morning showers with temps in the mid to upper 50's.

Here we go.

Word of the Day Thursday, October 16, 2014

conk \ kongk, kawngk \, verb;

1.to go to sleep (usually followed by off or out ).

2.to break or fail, as a machine or engine (often followed by out ): The engine conked out halfway there.

3.to slow down or stop; lose energy (often followed by out ).

4.to lose consciousness; faint (usually followed by out ).

5.to die (usually followed by out ).

Origin:

Conk is of unknown origin, but it may be imitative.

Today is NATIONAL BOSS’S DAY

Each year on October 16, employees across the United States show appreciation and thankfulness to their boss’s for being kind and fair throughout the year by celebrating National Boss’s Day. (If the 16th of October falls on a weekend, then this day is celebrated on the closest working day.)

National Boss’s Day, also known as National Boss Day or Bosses Day is a secular holiday that began in 1958. Patricia Bays Haroski was working as a secretary for State Farm Insurance Company in Deerfield, Illinois when she registered “National Boss’ Day” with the United States Chamber of Commerce. October 16 was chosen as it was her father’s birthday. Patricia was working for her father at that time, therefore making her father, her boss.

It was four years later, in 1962, that Illinois Governor, Otto Kerner, backed Haroski’s registration and officially proclaimed Boss’ day.

In 1979, Hallmark Cards introduced Boss’ Day cards to their inventory.

Happy Boss’s Day to all of the bosses out there !

National Boss’ Day is an “unofficial” national holiday.

NATIONAL LIQUEUR DAY

Today celebrates the countless types and flavors of liqueur as it is National Liqueur Day, which is celebrated every year on October 16.

The word liqueur comes from the Latin liquifacere (“to liquefy”).

A liqueur is an alcoholic beverage which is made from a distilled spirit that has been flavored with fruit, cream, berbs, spices, flowers or nuts and is then bottled with added sugar or other sweetener. Typically quite sweet, liqueurs are usually not aged long however, there is a resting period during their production to allow the flavors to marry.

With as many spirits that are available today in flavored form (e.g. flavored vodka), there is often confusion of liqueurs and liquors. In the United States and Canada, spirits are often called “liquor”. The most reliable rule of thumb to follow is that liqueurs are quite sweet and are often syrupy in consistency, while liquors are not. Most of the liqueurs have a lower alcohol content than spirits however, some do contain as much as 55% ABV.

In some parts of the United States, liqueurs may also be called cordials or schnapps.

Liqueurs are historical descendants of herbal medicines; they were made in Italy as early as the 13th century and were often prepared by monks. (Wikipedia)

NATIONAL LIQUEUR DAY HISTORY

Within our research, we were unable to find the creator of National Liqueur Day, an “unofficial” national holiday.

NATIONAL DICTIONARY DAY

National Dictionary Day is celebrated annually on October 16.

Celebrate today by learning a little bit of dictionary history and Noah Webster:

It was in the year 1806 that American Noah Webster published his first dictionary, A Compendious Dictionary of the English Language. In 1807, he began compiling an expanded and fully comprehensive dictionary, An American Dictionary of the English Language, which took twenty-seven years to complete. To help in his writing and to evaluate the etymology of words, Webster learned twenty-six languages, including Old English(Anglo-Saxon), German, Greek, Latin, Italian, Spanish, French, Hebrew, Arabic and Sanskrit.

In 1806, American Noah Webster published his first dictionary, A Compendious Dictionary of the English Language. In 1807 Webster began compiling an expanded and fully comprehensive dictionary, An American Dictionary of the English Language; it took twenty-seven years to complete. To evaluate the etymology of words, Webster learned twenty-six languages, including Old English (Anglo-Saxon), German, Greek, Latin, Italian, Spanish, French, Hebrew, Arabic, and Sanskrit.

Webster completed his dictionary during his year abroad in Paris, France at the University of Cambridge. His book contained seventy thousand words, of which twelve thousand had never appeared in published dictionary before.

As a spelling reformer, he believed that the English spelling rules were unnecessarily complex so in his dictionary, he had introduced American English spellings, replacing “colour” with “color”, substituting “wagon” for “waggon”, and printing “center” instead of “centre”. Webster also added American words such as, “skunk” and “squash” that did not appear in British dictionaries.

Webster published his dictionary in 1828 at the age of seventy. The dictionary sold 2500 copies. In 1840, the second edition was published in two volumes.

Celebrate today by learning a new word or two !

Today, it would be fun to play the dictionary based game, Balderdash.

NATIONAL DICTIONARY DAY HISTORY

National Dictionary Day, an “unofficial” national holiday was created in honor of Noah Webster’s birthday (October 16, 1758) and is set aside as a day to emphasize the importance of learning and using dictionary skills and increasing one’s vocabulary. Webster is considered the “Father of the American Dictionary”. Within our research, we were unable to find the creator of this day.

NATIONAL TAKE YOUR PARENTS TO LUNCH DAY

October 16 is National Take Your Parents to Lunch Day. During this event, parents will visit their children’s school and have lunch with them in the school cafeteria.

The goal of National Take Your Parents to Lunch Day is to learn more about what goes into putting together a healthy lunch and for parents and school official to open the lines of communication so they can work together to provide kids with the healthiest meals possible.

For more information, see: http://myhealthyschool.com/lunchday#sthash.R2IqpPRL.dpbs
Posted on: 2014/10/16 11:21

captmike13@yahoo.com
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Matatk Re: Thursday 16 Oct 2014
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

Good Morning CGs!

National Boss's day, huh Mike? You could have deleted that one and no one would have said anything

I had a hard time falling asleep last night. It was as if I wasn't tired, but I know I was. But I woke up this morning with no problem and I don't feel tired at all. We'll see how it goes throughout the day.

After three days of rain we may get a reprieve. Weather says cloudy with a 50% chance of rain. I guess we'll see.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Matthew
Posted on: 2014/10/16 11:39

Ultraman Re: Thursday 16 Oct 2014
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14758 Posts

I know some people I'd like to conk on the head.....

Up early and out the door.....be back late. Looks like a great day coming up....Enjoy yours Guru's....

Sweeeeep.......unbelievable....it's party time in old KC...congrats to the Royals.....
Posted on: 2014/10/16 11:41

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

teebee Re: Thursday 16 Oct 2014
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12374 Posts

Morning guys...Another early morning meeting for me. So I am out the door as well. Still wearing my Royals shirts. It is time to celebrate!
Posted on: 2014/10/16 11:55

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

pianoguy Re: Thursday 16 Oct 2014
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Mɔ sààmɛ ndé!

Apparently this is the last warm day for a while. The market looks like it'll continue its fugly streak - not much good news out there.

Have a good one, Gurus!
Posted on: 2014/10/16 12:34

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

TommyT-Bone Re: Thursday 16 Oct 2014
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33770 Posts

GMCG's

I'm beside myself in trying to help get my sons situation moving in the right direction through health care, social services and homeless assistance. Not an easy task in an overburdened system. There is actually little I can do other than suggest and discuss his options. There are no vacancies in the local shelter and won't be one for months. If he sits in his car at a park or sleeps in a parking lot the police shake him down. Fortunately Sue and I paid his car insurance, renewed his tag and got his suspended license renewed. He lost all three because he couldn't pay his car insurance. He'd be in jail right now if we had not done that. The cops still mess with him routinely. The family makes sure he at least has a few bucks in his pocket, gas in his car and something to eat. He needs professional help. Putting him up here would not be an end to the means. Besides, before long I and he would have to leave because of the emotional trauma it would cause between Sue and I. What a mess. I'm not looking for sympathy or support. It's just what I'm going through. I'm dropping a load so to speak. We now return you to your regular program. That's what I'm gonna do. Go get lost in the tasks I have waiting for me. I guess I'm lucky like that. I don't have to sit around and get lost in useless worry. I know my problems are lightweight compared to some. None the less, it IS a problem and putting it out there is part of the healing process. Thanks for putting up with me.
Posted on: 2014/10/16 13:00

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33770 Posts

Posted on: 2014/10/16 13:09

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33770 Posts

Oh, by the way, there has been quite a bit of progress. It's just a slow moving, low scoring ground game. Be nice if I could sneak in a nice long pass and gain some yardage. It's not all negative.
Posted on: 2014/10/16 13:17

istter1 Re: Thursday 16 Oct 2014
Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

This is at my Girl friends house. The news has it wrong. Suspect Mexican male. Stacy who was asleep in bed was startled by a man that opened her spare bedroom window . Stacy pulled her gun out to shoot him he took it away from him.

Attach file:

png  IMG_3873.png (335.42 KB)
5144_543fcccd6fe26.png 577X1024 px
Posted on: 2014/10/16 13:52

GRIS Re: Thursday 16 Oct 2014
Elite Guru
OKLAHOMA
7681 Posts

ANOTHER FINE FALL MORNING, COOL, SUNNY, THE CHEROKEES ARE HAVE A BIG GRIN ON. GOTTA TAKE MY LITTLE SETTER BITCH OVER TO THE FAMILY VET TO CHECK OUT SKIN PROBLEMS. THIS IS NOT GOOD.

IT SEEMS THE PC BRANCH OF THE LOONY LEFT HAS A NEW SLOGAN:
"WE MUST PROTECT THE RIGHT TO INFECT."

SOME NAMELESS CDC BUREAUCRAT GAVE EBOLA NURSE #2 PERMISSION TO FLY WITH A LOW GRADE FEVER. THUS DOES OUR OMNISCIENT GOVERNMENT DISPLAY ITS COMPETENCE.

ISIS IS IN BIG TROUBLE. THE PENTAGON HAS DECIDED ON A CATCHY NAME FOR THE MID EAST BOMBING CAMPAIGN. VICTORY IS NOW ASSURED. AND THE SYRIAN AIRSTRIKES, BTY, ARE FOR "HUMANITARIAN PURPOSES." I GUESS ANY HARM DONE TO MOSLEM TERRORISTS IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL.
Posted on: 2014/10/16 14:35

---"yellow is for folks who think a bright red Corvette is too restrained."

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33770 Posts

Terrorists and anarchists against peacemakers. Come on peacemakers. Lets make some peace.
Posted on: 2014/10/16 15:00

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33770 Posts

Quote:

pianoguy wrote:
Mɔ sààmɛ ndé!

I have always wanted peace and am always willing to kick some serious ass to get it. $#!+ doesn't change. There will be no peace in our lifetime or in my opinion as long as there are people.

Posted on: 2014/10/16 15:06

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33770 Posts

Quote:

pianoguy wrote:
Mɔ sààmɛ ndé!

Freedom fighters

Posted on: 2014/10/16 15:11

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33770 Posts

Quote:

pianoguy wrote:
Mɔ sààmɛ ndé!

Don't pass this up.

Listen to the words ..............

Posted on: 2014/10/16 15:18

vetteblondie Re: Thursday 16 Oct 2014
Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4659 Posts

Dang Istter - that's scary
Tommy - sorry for all your troubles and prayers for success in the end of it all and less stress for you guys.
Not much to do at work today and I had trouble staying conked out last night, so it will be a long day. No sleep also gives me the munchies and I already know there's this huge honeybun in my desk I don't need to eat. It's either that or a peach with mixed nuts that I AM supposed to have...
Posted on: 2014/10/16 15:19

Yes, I'm a bitch... just not YOURS.

Resized Image

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33770 Posts

How about some mixed nuts and a honeybun?
Posted on: 2014/10/16 15:25

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33770 Posts

Later that same day ...........

Got a call from the attorney that represented my wife and the family in the negligent death of my FIL in a nursing home accident 15 years ago. There was a small distribution of money that went to all the siblings. His call today was about another small sum of money that was apparently overlooked in the distribution back then. There's a very good chance that we may well pick up another fiddy cent. Guess we could apply those assets against an opportunity to hit big in the lottery.
Posted on: 2014/10/16 20:06
Edited by TommyT-Bone on 2014/10/16 21:46:33

teebee Re: Thursday 16 Oct 2014
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12374 Posts

Kids having a hard time today focusing. All they can think about is "half day school tomorrow". The attention span of kids today stinks.

Mojo to family healing Tommy. Steve, that's scary stuff. What would have happened if she'd shot the intruder? California, I doubt, is very gun friendly.
Posted on: 2014/10/16 20:39

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33770 Posts

Florida has "Stand Your Ground" similar to "The Castle Doctrine". In cases where it applies it holds up. Basically, don't shoot them in the back when they're running away.
Posted on: 2014/10/16 21:50

istter1 Re: Thursday 16 Oct 2014
Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

Quote:

vetteblondie wrote:
Tommy - sorry for all your troubles and prayers for success in the end of it all and less stress for you guys.
Not much to do at work today and I had trouble staying conked out last night, so it will be a long day. No sleep also gives me the munchies and I already know there's this huge honeybun in my desk I don't need to eat. It's either that or a peach with mixed nuts that I AM supposed to have...

Turns out three were involved. In a stolen car they took that morning. They caught 2 last night with her gun and car Keys. They were walking up to take her car as they thought they had her car keys. I had a locksmith erase the code and make a new key. Just enough time for the officers in the area to grab them
Posted on: 2014/10/16 23:18

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33770 Posts

Posted on: 2014/10/16 23:24

GRIS Re: Thursday 16 Oct 2014
Elite Guru
OKLAHOMA
7681 Posts

Quote:

istter1 wrote:
Quote:

vetteblondie wrote:

Turns out three were involved. In a stolen car they took that morning. They caught 2 last night with her gun and car Keys. They were walking up to take her car as they thought they had her car keys. I had a locksmith erase the code and make a new key. Just enough time for the officers in the area to grab them

I'D THINK ABOUT ENROLLING HER IN ONE OF THESE SELF-DEFENSE COURSES/SCHOOLS THAT SEEM TO HAVE PROLIFERATED LATELY. IT'S NOT ENOUGH TO OWN A GUN; YOU MUST KNOW HOW TO USE IT AND WHEN TO PULL THE TRIGGER.
Posted on: 2014/10/17 0:02

---"yellow is for folks who think a bright red Corvette is too restrained."

Ultraman Re: Thursday 16 Oct 2014
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14758 Posts

That was a great vid about Patton.....that guy has the voice down pat.....that is just what he would be Patton would be saying if he was still with us....
Posted on: 2014/10/17 2:07

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33770 Posts

Posted on: 2014/10/17 2:22

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.