Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
359 user(s) are online (295 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Cigarette Lighter
Does it work?

If not, the fuse is hidden… behind the Driver Information Center (DIC) on the 1984-1989, and under the right knee bolster on the ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Matatk Monday Chat 11.03.14
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22804 Posts

Good Morning CGs!

So both rugrats are sick right now with some kind of flu/cough. RR#2 got it first and got hit hard. He's finishing up his 4th day today and should be fine. RR#1 started showing the symptoms yesterday so we'll keep an eye on her. It's that special season for cold and flu. Not much you can do about it.

Car is running well but I noticed a few weeks ago that it wasn't shifting the way it normally had. 1-2 became soft even with the shift kit. Doing a little reading it appears I need to drop the pan, remove the 1-2 accumulator housing, and inspect the bore, piston, and spring. Probably my problem. Could also be a worn valve body separator plate. I think there are 2,000 miles on the rebuild if that. We'll see. High performance = high breakage = high maintenance = high money.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Matthew
Posted on: 2014/11/3 11:45

captmike13 Re: Monday Chat 11.03.14
Elite Guru
Hillsboro Mo
2165 Posts

Good morning gang.

Welcome to November. 10 down two to go. Where did the year go.

Hope the rug rats get better soon Matt.

Looks like it should be a nice day here in N.E. Indiana with temps in the mid to upper 50's.

Let's get it started shall we.

Word of the Day Monday, November 03, 2014

horology \ haw-ROL-uh-jee, hoh- \, noun;

1.the art or science of making timepieces or of measuring time.

Origin:

Horology shares roots with the word hour in the Greek term hṓrā , which means "time, season, hour." It entered English in the early 1800s.

Today is NATIONAL SANDWICH DAY

The “sandwich” is believed to be the namesake of John Montagu, 4th Earl of Sandwich, following the claim that he was the eponymous inventor of the sandwich. Today, National Sandwich Day, honors one of America’s most popular lunch items and is celebrated each year on November 3.

The modern sandwich is believed to be named after John Montagu, 4th Earl of Sandwich (later known as Lord Sandwich) however, the exact circumstances of its invention and original use are the subject of debate. There is a rumor in a contemporary travel book titled Tour to London by Pierre Jean Grosley formed the popular myth that bread and meat sustained Lord Sandwich at the gambling table. It is said that Lord Sandwich was a very conversant gambler and did not take the time to have a meal during his long hours playing at the card table. When hungry, he would ask his servants to bring him slices of meat between two slices of bread. This practice of Lord Sandwich was a habit which was well known to his gambling friends whom soon began to order “the same as Sandwich” and from this, the sandwich was born.

-

N.A.M. Rodger, who wrote Sandwich’s biography, suggests that it was Sandwich’s commitments to the navy, politics and the arts, that mean the first sandwich was more likely to have been consumed at his work desk.

-

Before being known as sandwiches, the food seems to simply have been known as “bread and meat” or “bread and cheese”.

-

The following represent many common varieties of the American sandwich:

BLT – Cheese Sandwich – Philadelphia Cheesesteak – Club Sandwich – Dagwood – French Dip – Hamburger – Monte Cristo – Muffuletta – Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwich – Pilgrim – Po’boy – Reuben – Sloppy Joe – Submarine – Tuna Fish Sandwich – Veggi Sandwich – Deli Sandwich

-

Enjoy one of the following “tried and true” sandwich recipes:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Californ ... dwich/Detail.aspx?evt19=1

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/BBQ-Pork ... iches/Detail.aspx?evt19=1

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Real-Naw ... letta/Detail.aspx?evt19=1

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Shrimp-Po-Boys-2/Detail.aspx?evt19=1

-

NATIONAL SANDWICH DAY HISTORY

Within our research, we were unable to find the creator and origin of National Sandwich Day, an “unofficial” national holiday.

NATIONAL HOUSEWIFE’S DAY

Each year on November 3, millions of people across the country celebrate National Housewife’s Day. This day was created to make the day a special one for the “stay at home” mom, as their job taking care of the children and the home is a 24/7 one, that sometimes does not get the “thank you” that is much deserved.

-

The term “housewife” is an old term stemming from the days when most families were supported from one income. The father worked and the mother stayed home to take care of the house and the children. Times have changed and it is not always possible for one parent to stay at home, even though it is still preferred by many. In today’s society, typically two incomes are needed to support a household. If a mother is able to stay at home, the term “stay at home mom” or “domestic engineer” are favored over the term “housewife”.

-

Today, honor the “housewife” in your family or a “housewife” that you know.

-

NATIONAL HOUSEWIFE’S DAY HISTORY

Our research was unable to find the creator and the origin of National Housewife’s Day, and “unofficial” national holiday.
Posted on: 2014/11/3 12:01

captmike13@yahoo.com
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

TommyT-Bone Re: Monday Chat 11.03.14
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

horology, the word of the day on National Housewife's Day

Back in the olden days lots of people delivered direct to the door. The Fuller Brush Man, milkman, Electrolux vacuum cleaner man and host of repairmen. The neighborhood women frequently gossiped of each other's horology.

Flashback .....Last night out of the blue I had a flashback of families filling up a station wagon with family and friends and heading to the beach or the lake. Some station wagons back then could accommodate 10 or more. It was a relatively low cost outing. I remember standing and watching as the car was getting ready to pull away and someone might yell "Do you want to come along?". A hasty request to mom and we were on our way. If I wasn't invited it often meant playing alone with my toys, a stick and a rock. One time as a kid, a friend and I caught a pigeon using the classic box, stick with a string method. We were about 5 or 6 y/olds. We had this brilliant idea to tie a string to the bird's foot so the bird would fly around in circles. We quickly found that a bird will not fly in circles when tethered to a string. It wasn't pretty.

Attach file:

jpg  1 wagon.jpg (150.84 KB)
852_54577fbd6cbb1.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  1 trap.jpg (21.61 KB)
852_54577fc744dd7.jpg 410X410 px
Posted on: 2014/11/3 13:03

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Posted on: 2014/11/3 13:19

pianoguy Re: Monday Chat 11.03.14
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

I ni sogoma!

Back to the grindstone - the alarm clock was a most unwelcome sound. Looks like plenty of work has piled up in my absence.

Hope your kids are better soon, Matt. I don't get sick very often anymore, and I attribute that to not having a couple of little biology experiments running around ;-)

Have a good day, Gurus!
Posted on: 2014/11/3 13:28

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

pianoguy wrote:
I attribute that to not having a couple of little biology experiments running around ;-)

For me biology experiments means people. I try to limit my direct human contact as much as possible. (that includes the phone)
Posted on: 2014/11/3 13:52

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
Quote:

pianoguy wrote:
I attribute that to not having a couple of little biology experiments running around ;-)

For me biology experiments means people. I try to limit my direct human contact as much as possible. (that includes the phone)

Classic .........

Posted on: 2014/11/3 13:55

teebee Re: Monday Chat 11.03.14
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12364 Posts

Morning guys...cool cloudy and no wind. headed for almost 70 today. Human contact? Hard for me to avoid that. Speaking of which, they are starting to show up here. Got to go for now.
Posted on: 2014/11/3 14:02

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Posted on: 2014/11/3 14:03

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Posted on: 2014/11/3 14:11

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Florida fun, turn the volume down for best results.

Posted on: 2014/11/3 14:14

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:

for later ......

Attach file:

jpg  burger.jpg (34.79 KB)
852_5457918727ac3.jpg 453X453 px
Posted on: 2014/11/3 14:30

GRIS Re: Monday Chat 11.03.14
Elite Guru
OKLAHOMA
7649 Posts

Quote:

pianoguy wrote:
Hope your kids are better soon, Matt. I don't get sick very often anymore, and I attribute that to not having a couple of little biology experiments running around ;-)

ONLY TOO TRUE. WE CAUGHT A BREAK WHEN OUR OWN LITTLE GERM FACTORIES GOT OLDER BUT THEN THERE WERE GRANDKIDS. WE USED TO GET SOME KIND OF URI SNIFFLES AND SUCH EVERY TIME WE CAME BACK FROM FAYETTEVILLE :-/
LITTLE KIDS ARE SCARY WHEN THEY GET SICK, IT HAPPENS SO FAST, BUT THEY GET OVER IT FAST ALSO. DON'T DESPAIR MATT, ONLY TEN YEARS OR SO TO GO.

CLOUDY AND COOL IN THE NATIONS, RAIN TONIGHT THEY SAY.
Posted on: 2014/11/3 15:02

---"yellow is for folks who think a bright red Corvette is too restrained."

Ultraman Re: Monday Chat 11.03.14
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14739 Posts

Hi wrote a post earlier but it is now drifting for eternity through cyberspace.....all Guru's have a great day....
Posted on: 2014/11/3 15:07

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

j3studio Re: Monday Chat 11.03.14
Elite Guru
Western Philadelphia Burbs
4247 Posts

Good morning, all!

Posted on: 2014/11/3 15:59

94BlueToy Re: Monday Chat 11.03.14
Senior Guru
Beach, ND
192 Posts

Good morning everyone. I haven't said anything in a while but I have been a faithful reader. I do enjoy the Forum. Lately, I have been working on a 1989 Jeep Wrangler. Getting it ready for the winter. We've had a nice fall so far.
Posted on: 2014/11/3 16:27

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Brush up on your Spanish

Posted on: 2014/11/3 16:36

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Conyo! Los mountain goats tienes muchos cahones. (sp)
Posted on: 2014/11/3 16:39
Edited by TommyT-Bone on 2014/11/3 19:10:58

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Speaking of Spanish, I got an app for my phone called World Lens (it appears to have been around for a few years, but I'm a little slow on the uptake for this phone stuff). Through your camera, it can translate signs, etc. from one language to another. Pretty slick, though it thinks Tommy said the mountain goat has many drawers.
Posted on: 2014/11/3 18:32

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

pianoguy wrote:
Pretty slick, though it thinks Tommy said the mountain goat has many drawers.

Spelling correction cajones. It does in fact mean drawers among other things. I'm sure some of those mountain goats would have soiled their drawers if they had them.
Posted on: 2014/11/3 19:03

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Dayum, just missed a phone call from Hillary Clinton. She left me a message though. I'm feeling mighty important this past week with calls from The President, First Lady and Hillary. All of them called when I couldn't get to the phone but all left a message.
Posted on: 2014/11/3 19:10

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Sheesh, gas is almost free. I just filled up for 2.889/gallon. Well, I guess that isn't cheap compared to the .259/gallon when I was a kid, but still better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.
Posted on: 2014/11/3 23:50

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.