Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
148 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Horn
A rather boring honk, but it should be loud and clear.

It should work with key on or off....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

captmike13 Tuesday 14 April 2015
Elite Guru
Hillsboro Mo
2166 Posts

Good morning gang.

Not alot going on here. We got our taxes in the mail so that worry is over with.

Today is the 155th anniversary of the Pony Express.

Word of the day is argot.

Today is NATIONAL DOLPHIN DAY

Each year on April 14th, people across the nation celebrate National Dolphin Day.

Dolphins are cetacean mammals that are related to whales and porpoises.

Ranging is size from 4 ft to up to 30 ft, dolphins are among almost forty species in 17 genera.

Found worldwide, they prefer shallower seas of the continental shelves.

As carnivores, their diet consists of mostly fish and squid.

Male dolphin – bull
Female dolphin – cow
Young dolphin – calf
Group of dolphins – school or pod
Dolphins are known to have acute eyesight both in and out of the water along with having a well-developed sense of touch, with free nerve endings densely packed in the skin. They can hear frequencies ten time or more above the upper limit of what adult humans can hear and are capable of making a broad range of sounds using nasal air sacs located just below the blowhole.

Living in pods of up to a dozen, dolphins are highly social animals. Pods do merge together in areas where there is an abundance of food, forming superpods, which may exceed 1,000 dolphins. Dolphins can, and do, establish strong bonds within their pods and will stay with injured or ill individuals, even helping them to breathe by bringing them to the surface if needed.

You will see the dolphins frequently leaping above the waters surface. They leap for various reasons; when traveling, jumping saves them energy as there is less friction while in the air, this is known as porpoising. Some other reasons for leaping include orientation, social display, fighting, non-verbal communication, entertainment and attempting to dislodge parasites.

The United States National Marine Mammal Foundation conducted a study that revealed that dolphins, like humans, develop a natural form of type 2 diabetes which may lead to a better understanding of the disease and new treatments for both humans and dolphins.

NATIONAL DOLPHIN DAY HISTORY

National Dolphin Day, an “unofficial” national holiday, is listed as part of the American Veterinary Medical Association Pet Health Awareness Events.

NATIONAL PECAN DAY

National Pecan Day is a food holiday celebrated each year on April 14.

The pecan is a species of hickory. In the United States pecans are native to Iowa, Illinois, Missouri, Indiana, Tennessee, Kentucky, Mississippi, Louisiana Texas, Oklahoma and Arkansas.

“Pecan” is from an Algonquian word, meaning a nut requiring a stone to crack”

For more information on National Pecan Day, go to http://www.nationalpecanday.com/

To learn more on the history of pecans, go to http://www.ilovepecans.org/history.html

NATIONAL EX SPOUSE DAY

National Ex Spouse Day is observed annually on April 14th. This day recognizes one’s ex spouse. The question has been asked as to why would one want to celebrate their Ex?? We are not sure there is a good answer to that question.

For a wide variety of reasons, sometimes marriages just do not work out. Recent statistics show that the divorce rate for first marriages is at 50 percent. Some people find that they actually get along better after a divorce than they did during the marriage. Unfortunately, all divorces do not turn out that friendly and can the experience can be very painful and traumatic. Regardless if it is a friendly separation or not, there needs to be a way to manage the situation when children are involved.

NATIONAL EX SPOUSE DAY HISTORY

National Ex Spouse Day was created in 1987 by Reverend Ronald Coleman of Kansas City, Mo.

NATIONAL REACH AS HIGH AS YOU CAN DAY

National Reach As High As You Can Day is observed annually on April 14th. Go ahead…..Reach as high as you can! What are your dreams? What are your goals? What do you want? Go for it……Reach for the sky!

You will never know how high you can reach, how far you can go, how much you can do until you try. Believe in yourself and believe in your dreams. You just might surprise yourself and surpass your original goal.

Reach as high as you can!

NATIONAL REACH AS HIGH AS YOU CAN DAY HISTORY

Our research was unable to find the creator and origin of National Reach As High As You Can Day, an “unofficial” National holiday.

NATIONAL PAN AMERICAN DAY

National Pan American Day is observed annually in the United States on April 14. This day is observed by Presidential proclamation and is part of Pan American Week.

“This observance commemorates the First International Conference of American States in 1889-90, which concluded on April 14, 1890, creating the International Union of American Republics, the forerunner to the Organization of American States (OAS). Pan American Day and Week also commemorates the diplomatic ties and relations of the United States with the other countries of the Western Hemisphere, including Latin America.” (Wikipedia)

Following is the link for the Proclamation signed by President Barack Obama.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-o ... nd-pan-american-week-2015

Posted on: 2015/4/14 10:38

captmike13@yahoo.com
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Matatk Re: Tuesday 14 April 2015
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

Good Morning CGs!

Not much going on here, either. Rain and cool yesterday morning gave way to sunny and 70*. No rain this morning but cool. Hoping for that sun and 70* later again.

I've made decent progress in the garage cleaning process. Lots of tools and extra junk I had have been sold, given away, or tossed. It's a slow process but it's getting there. The problem is when I make a couple extra dollars in paypal from a sale....I buy new tools. Wait, is that a problem?

Hope everyone has a great day!

Matthew
Posted on: 2015/4/14 11:26

Ultraman Re: Tuesday 14 April 2015
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14765 Posts

Only if it becomes an obsession Matt....wait....is that bad?

The Royals are on a roll being 7 games in and still not lost.....the took out the hapless Twinkie's 12 to something yesterday. I saw the preseason Twins play down in Florida and thought then that Brad better concentrate on his golf game this year.....

Much work and gotta go do it....have a safe one Guru's......
Posted on: 2015/4/14 12:02

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

pianoguy Re: Tuesday 14 April 2015
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Hadihu!

Indeed, the Twinkies were edged in a squeaker in their home opener, 12-3. They are off to a blistering 1-6 start. We'll see if they can make it 5 straight 90+ loss seasons. Meanwhile, the sun is shining, it's supposed to be 70 today, and I'm stuck indoors. I will be making a bee-line for home at the earliest opportunity.

Enjoy your day, Gurus!
Posted on: 2015/4/14 12:17

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

GRIS Re: Tuesday 14 April 2015
Elite Guru
OKLAHOMA
7693 Posts

OVERCAST AND COOL IN THE NATIONS, MORE RAIN FORECAST. MAYBE THE SUN WILL SHINE IN MAY. THE CHEROKEE NAP DEFICIT IS DWINDLING RAPIDLY.

NOTHING ON THE AGENDA TODAY BUT SOME ERRANDS. AT LEAST I DON'T HAVE TO DRIVE TO TULSA, AS I DID THE LAST FOUR DAYS.
Posted on: 2015/4/14 13:44

---"yellow is for folks who think a bright red Corvette is too restrained."

TommyT-Bone Re: Tuesday 14 April 2015
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33780 Posts

Matt is an argot!

Good morning. Been draggin lately. Little energy. Maybe it's the mid 80's, high humidity that's putting a dent in my motivation. Today I'll pay the pipers their due and do some running around picking stuff up. Might get outside for awhile later. Might not. Haven't done much the last two days. That HAS to change.

Meanwhile, in driver's instructor news

http://news.yahoo.com/man-killed-lamb ... ecar-track-103155256.html
Posted on: 2015/4/14 14:47

teebee Re: Tuesday 14 April 2015
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12378 Posts

Morning guys....I'm trying to keep my excitement in check about my Royals. This is a great start for them, nothing against other teams, but I hope we can keep this pace for a while. I know that all teams seem to suffer slumps, so I know ours is coming.

I have freaking idiots as students....well at least I have several. They can't seem to remember how to do something 10 seconds after I take 5 minutes explaining and showing them how to do it. We (generically speaking) are raising a generation of kids who have no common sense.

Going to be in the 70's today, but the wind is blowing 20-30 mph. so it makes it pretty miserable.
Posted on: 2015/4/14 16:20

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

TommyT-Bone Re: Tuesday 14 April 2015
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33780 Posts

Quote:

teebee wrote:
We (generically speaking) are raising a generation of kids who have no common sense.

I think the elders of each generation have said the same thing about later generations. The sad thing is that it's true. Back in the olden days men hunted, fished and got high on fermented beverages, berries, cactus and stuff. They came home, serviced their women, ate what was gathered and prepared and slept. Some idiots thought they have found a better way. Now men work their asses off, come home to less than ideal conditions with spoiled women and children. Seems that each generation got it wrong and the next generation makes it worse. The A/C, television, running water and indoor plumbing, lights, microwaves, automobiles and such were good ideas though.
Posted on: 2015/4/14 16:33

teebee Re: Tuesday 14 April 2015
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12378 Posts

Not to disagree at all, Tommy. As parents, I believe, we all want for our children to have it better than we had it. And so, we tend to spoil them making things worse.
Posted on: 2015/4/14 17:41

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

BrianCunningham Re: Tuesday 14 April 2015
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Well, we are living longer, so we must have gotten something right
Posted on: 2015/4/14 19:20

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.