Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
281 user(s) are online (219 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Saw Blades
The wheel style used for most of the C4s existence.

The early saw blades face forward. This means they catch air from the outside and drag it insi...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Matatk Sunday Chat 09.20.15
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

Good Morning CGs!

Well, yesterday was a full day for me. I was up at 6:30 and in the garage at 7:00 working already.

This is what I started with:
Resized Image

Most know I have a superram. It's 5 pieces and a lot of bolts. That's a real pain to install and remove. I have done all of the "tricks" such as using allen caps underneath and slotting the bolt tips to run them up backwards with a screwdriver. Lots of tight working spaces and accessories/lines/etc to pull off. I worked 6 hours until my wife came home with lunch and I stopped here:

Resized Image

Intake was off, pushrods and rockers pulled. I still had to tackle the headers and heads.

After lunch I had to close the pool, though. So I went in the yard with the kids and spent about 3 hours doing that and cleaning up the yard. Wife came home from her errands and I went back in the garage.

The headers on this car are pretty miserable... I used allen cap bolts because there is no clearance. I got the headers disconnected and then went at the heads. I've seen guys who do in-car head swaps on the C4 and I don't think I would ever want to. Miserable job. By the end of the night around 7:00-7:30 I had both heads removed and I had cleaned up my tools, etc.

Resized Image

Resized Image

I think I have about 8-9 hours total in the removal.

I haven't found the "smoking gun" (ha!) yet, but I think it's in the pistons themselves. #6 and #8 were strangely clean near the bottom lip of the piston head, but I'm not sure if that was related to my seafoam less than 50 miles ago.

Resized Image

Next step is pulling the motor. Not sure when that will happen exactly. My buddy said he will tow it to his shop and we'll yank the motor, or another friend has picker at his house that he will bring over. Not sure of the time frame.

I plan on getting the headers coated while they are out. Biggest mistake I ever made with the original build was using non-coated headers. But I was younger with a little less money and didn't think it would be a big deal. It was.

Today is a workout and a Christening later.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Matthew
Posted on: 2015/9/20 12:35

Ultraman Re: Sunday Chat 09.20.15
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14759 Posts

Wow Matt that is work city......hope you find something conclusive.......

Still stunned silence after another last second heart breaker for the Huskers.....I would rather have had them beat us by 20 points then how that ended......just adds to the fuel of the rivalry between us and the U........there is a team you can love to hate......sorry Tommy I know hate is a strong word but I still can't read or watch anything on the 84 game......still to pissed off......

Big work on trucks yesterday and got a lot done and a bit more today will have them ready to go......until next week......I am sore from crawling around getting that bumper on the thing must have weighed 100 lbs.......ok....80.....

looks better though......

Bad bumper.....

Resized Image

Better bumper.....

Resized Image

Have a nice day off Guru's.....
Posted on: 2015/9/20 14:03

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Matatk Re: Sunday Chat 09.20.15
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

Well Marcus, that does look nicer with the new one. Then again I don't think the old one was that bad? But I don't know anything about semis. How much does a bumper cost?
Posted on: 2015/9/20 15:25

pianoguy Re: Sunday Chat 09.20.15
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Greetings! Had to sleep in to make up for getting up at the crack of 9 yesterday. Chores are pretty much under control, so i imagine I'll be planted in front of the TV today.

Watch out for your knuckles, Matt ;-)

Marcus, if it's any consolation, I'll bet your Huskers looked better in the loss than our Goofers looked in their win. Atrocious. And the Twinkies have picked a bad time to go into a tailspin. The new bumper looks great - bet it is capable of gathering an impressive bug collection!

Enjoy your day, Gurus!
Posted on: 2015/9/20 15:29

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Ultraman Re: Sunday Chat 09.20.15
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14759 Posts

Well the pic does not do the bad bumper justice.....its really bent up.....and we can't have Lola feeling bad.....this is a 10 gauge steel bumper and it cost 386 bucks before taxes.......the next heavier gauge was 600 bucks.....big trucks......big money.......10 gauge is what the stock bumpers are.......they call these a Texas Square bumper.......

You can also see the basic tools for working on Peterbilts.......hammers, impact wrenches, sweat,blood and I was cursing in Mexican before it was over.......

.......yes Brad they really can splatter those pan size hoppers......

......thanks for also trying to console me about the Huskers but really when you go down 2 touchdowns plus in the first quarter you know its going to be a long day........I do feel better the Gophers looked like crap though.....maybe a miracle will happen and we can beat them..............or not......
Posted on: 2015/9/20 18:28

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

GRIS Re: Sunday Chat 09.20.15
Elite Guru
OKLAHOMA
7681 Posts

CLOUDY DAY IN THE NATIONS, IT'S RAINING ON THE CHEROKEES. AND ALSO UPON THE CHOCTAWS, CHICKASAWS, SEMINOLES, CREEKS, COMANCHES, AND FT SILL APACHES:-0

SAW A HEADLINE THAT COMMUNITIES ARE TRYING TO BECOME MO "DEMENTIA FRIENDLY". NO DOUBT THEY ARE FOLLOWING THE EXAMPLE OF WASHINGTON D.C.; NOTHING RATIONAL HAS BEEN DONE THERE IN YEARS.

"All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
Posted on: 2015/9/20 19:41

---"yellow is for folks who think a bright red Corvette is too restrained."

TommyT-Bone Re: Sunday Chat 09.20.15
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33772 Posts

That game certainly had my attention Marcus and all I watched was the 4th quarter. Lots of WTF's going on there.

These players seemed to like it.

Attach file:

jpg  Miami.jpg (47.58 KB)
852_55ff6f256770c.jpg 480X480 px
Posted on: 2015/9/20 20:33
Edited by TommyT-Bone on 2015/9/21 2:44:58

TommyT-Bone Re: Sunday Chat 09.20.15
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33772 Posts

Busy day with lots of crap going on in the background. Not in the mood to list it all.

Matt, that sure is a lot of work to get a little head.
Posted on: 2015/9/20 20:35

BrianCunningham Re: Sunday Chat 09.20.15
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Club hit the dragstrip last Fri night

Didn't run, still breaking in a new wheel bearing.
Need to put some miles on it to get it to last.

Still had fun
Posted on: 2015/9/20 22:35

teebee Re: Sunday Chat 09.20.15
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12374 Posts

hey guys....slept in some this morning, then took #3 and family for breakfast, then headed for the 'city' to do some shopping and pick up the microwave. When we got home I told Rosie I was going to wash the pickup and prep it for the winter. I just about had it washed when she tells me she has called #1 GS over to help me put the microwave in.....so I drop everything on the pickup to install the microwave. So an hour and a half later I get back to the pickup. I clay barred it and applied a coat of Rejex on it. Treated the windows and vacuumed it out and treated the leather. That took the day to do.

My Royals made a huge impact today, hopefully it is the start to post season run.
Posted on: 2015/9/21 4:01

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.