Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
190 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  LT5
Engine used in the ZR1, 1990-1995, manual only....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

NC Kid 450 dollars for a Digidash
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Yup. A used one out of a salavaged car. My original has now cracked and appears to be leaking from the inside. Vette2vette to my knowledge does not have one in nor does the other two junk yards I have called. Everyone sells out fairly quickly except this guy who wants 450 for it. My mom said just buy the damn thing and be done with it.
Posted on: 2008/4/18 18:32
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: 450 dollars for a Digidash
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

you need to check with Ecklers. I think they recondition them...

I remember ebay had some options available.

Have you actually CALLED Vette2Vette? I would. $425 does not sound out of line, but I would check with Jason, first. Who else have you checked with?

for that kinda cash, you can get the Dakoda Digital unit. It's pretty trick.
Posted on: 2008/4/19 6:41

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

j3studio Re: 450 dollars for a Digidash
Elite Guru
Western Philadelphia Burbs
4247 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
For that kinda cash, you can get the Dakoda Digital unit. It's pretty trick.

It depends if he wants to stay stock or not - I would say that $450 is not that out of line ...
Posted on: 2008/4/19 19:33

polish41 Re: 450 dollars for a Digidash
Guru Newb
Watertown.SD
50 Posts

Check out this outfit. If you read their ad it sounds good. As in all situations one should investigate.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1984-1 ... 80017866001QQcmdZViewItem
Posted on: 2008/4/19 21:49

TommyT-Bone Re: 450 dollars for a Digidash
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Here are a couple to check out. I used Southern Electronics. Great service across the board.

http://tabercorvetteparts.com/parts/clusters.html

http://www.instrumentclusters.com
Posted on: 2008/4/19 21:52

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

See? a little research goes a long way.

As for OEM, you can always keep the old dash. The Dakota is just cool...
Posted on: 2008/4/19 21:57

polish41 Re: 450 dollars for a Digidash
Guru Newb
Watertown.SD
50 Posts

That better be alot of cool for $995. I admit it looks good but that's alot of green for a blue dash.
Posted on: 2008/4/19 22:05

NC Kid Re: 450 dollars for a Digidash
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Thanks. Yes research does go along way but digidash rebuilds=350 and this one is 450 but it's guaranteed. Going to order it monday. Fuse is still popping though. Happened today. Went thru 5 10 amp fuses on the side of the road until I popped in the 25 amp and drove it home. Unhooked the digidash completly and still popped the fuse. Thought that would have cured it because it's going haywire. Oh well. It was ncie while it was running. Back to the shop Monday for more investigation! Again, thanks everyone for the links.
Posted on: 2008/4/19 23:52

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

dude... I have said it before, that 86 is nothing but trouble. I would off load it before it breaks your bank.
Posted on: 2008/4/20 2:42

captmike13 Re: 450 dollars for a Digidash
Elite Guru
Hillsboro Mo
2166 Posts

Here's another place to try.

http://www.pacvette.com/
Posted on: 2008/4/20 3:56

captmike13@yahoo.com

Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
dude... I have said it before, that 86 is nothing but trouble. I would off load it before it breaks your bank.

We would take a big lose for all the repairs done so far because it's worth around 4-5 grand because of age and their is no demand for it. Eventually stuff has to stop breaking right? Plus, if I did sell it and got a newer model, it could be twice as bad or it could never give me trouble. My parents have debated selling it and getting me a Honda but again the same thought goes in their head. Anyway, it anoying having to deal with the issues. I wonder if the car is cursed or just don't like me for some reason. Does your wifes 87 not have problems...you did say it was a p.o.s.
Posted on: 2008/4/20 12:43

Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Quote:

captmike13 wrote:
Here's another place to try.

http://www.pacvette.com/

Thank you. I will keep your links in mind if the other digidash does not go thru.
Posted on: 2008/4/20 12:44

DaleD Re: 450 dollars for a Digidash
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Quote:

polish41 wrote:
That better be alot of cool for $995. I admit it looks good but that's alot of green for a blue dash.

It has a nice look, but you lose functions, (I didn't see mpg, or oil temp), and it kills your cruise control. I'll stick with my factory digi dash.
Posted on: 2008/4/20 14:41

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

B1ack86v3tt3 wrote:
Quote:

bogus wrote:

We would take a big lose for all the repairs done so far because it's worth around 4-5 grand because of age and their is no demand for it. Eventually stuff has to stop breaking right? Plus, if I did sell it and got a newer model, it could be twice as bad or it could never give me trouble. My parents have debated selling it and getting me a Honda but again the same thought goes in their head. Anyway, it anoying having to deal with the issues. I wonder if the car is cursed or just don't like me for some reason. Does your wifes 87 not have problems...you did say it was a p.o.s.

Yes, my wifes 87 IS a POS, but I know how to fix it.

Your car needs a ton of work... the interior is tired, the paint is gone... you need to take this thought: put another $8k into it and do it RIGHT and get it done or keep dicking around waiting for it to nickle and dime you to death.
Posted on: 2008/4/20 19:01

Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Aint my money. If stuff would stop breaking, more money could go on other stuff.What do you suggest INTERNALLY to make it more reliable? No horsepower or stuff. Just reliable. You have more patience than I do and more knowledge. I try working on it before and get pissed off. My dad is a little better at it. And yes my car is a pos to. Bad Car! It could be worse though. Could shoot a piston thru the hood or the differential be torn up.
Posted on: 2008/4/20 19:06

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

yea, but my problem is that with the history of this car, neither of those failures would shock me.

As for reliability, I don't know what to suggest... I know a lot has failed, and I suspect you are catching up with it... but you lose patience working on it because you don't know how.

To learn, and we have talked about this, is to read, read some more and start trying. Have you bought the Helm for it yet? And don't say "it's expensive." Buy that AND the Haynes. The Haynes isn't the best, but, it's a great cross reference, because they write in a little more regular person English. There are many other guides I would recommend, check the C4 Tech FAQ for them.

Finally, you need a mentor. Someone to work with. Perhaps a friend from school is into fixing cars? Your dad, even. Between the two of you and the FSM, you might just get somewhere.

Start with this IP... I am sure you can remove it yourself. Just take your time and don't force it too much.
Posted on: 2008/4/20 19:46

Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
yea, but my problem is that with the history of this car, neither of those failures would shock me.

As for reliability, I don't know what to suggest... I know a lot has failed, and I suspect you are catching up with it... but you lose patience working on it because you don't know how.

To learn, and we have talked about this, is to read, read some more and start trying. Have you bought the Helm for it yet? And don't say "it's expensive." Buy that AND the Haynes. The Haynes isn't the best, but, it's a great cross reference, because they write in a little more regular person English. There are many other guides I would recommend, check the C4 Tech FAQ for them.

Finally, you need a mentor. Someone to work with. Perhaps a friend from school is into fixing cars? Your dad, even. Between the two of you and the FSM, you might just get somewhere.

Start with this IP... I am sure you can remove it yourself. Just take your time and don't force it too much.

IP=internet protocol? or Initial problem? Anyway, the digidash is out. I looked in the back of it and their is clay in their. Looks like white playdough clay holding some pieces in place. Normal? The fuse is poppping because it is drawing to much amps. It won't blow the 25 amp but it's designed for a 5 amp. The digidash is like leaking on the front which I suspect that the repair shop did not put it back together correctly. Also, it looks like oil in water to where it has that rainbow look to it.
Posted on: 2008/4/20 20:11

skirlin Re: 450 dollars for a Digidash
Senior Guru
Caledonia Michigan
277 Posts

Bogus is right on. My first purchase (guru recommended) after bringing the vette home was the FSM (bought from Helminc.com). I have always bought Haynes manuals, nice for pictures but rather vague and not year specific. The FSM is worth every penny. :thumbright:
Posted on: 2008/4/21 12:11

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

B1ack86v3tt3 wrote:
Quote:

bogus wrote:

IP=internet protocol? or Initial problem? Anyway, the digidash is out. I looked in the back of it and their is clay in their. Looks like white playdough clay holding some pieces in place. Normal? The fuse is poppping because it is drawing to much amps. It won't blow the 25 amp but it's designed for a 5 amp. The digidash is like leaking on the front which I suspect that the repair shop did not put it back together correctly. Also, it looks like oil in water to where it has that rainbow look to it.

hm... you really need to open your mind and read what is around you... IP = INSTRUMENT PANEL. Where was internet discussed? Nowhere...

However, if you removed it yourself, that's what I am talking about. DIY. Don't pay some moron to screw your car up anymore. You will screw it up, but you will learn to undo the damage done.
Posted on: 2008/4/21 14:30

jhammons01 Re: 450 dollars for a Digidash
Senior Guru
1044 Posts

I am so confused.......

since when did we start telling others to dump a car that has a few problems??

And since when did we not give anyone advice on how to find Batee.com for repairing your own IP??

OP, I know you have the issue with the coolant. but also understand that a SBC is a pretty standard design for a motor. there are many many folks with lots of experience in going through one that would gladly lend a hand on rebuild info.

The Digidash repair found on Batee.com is very straight forward and that paste may be solder paste....but the leak is the "liquid" as in Liquid crystal display or "LCD" This is most likely the problem with the fuse blowing. There are 1000s of tracers (electrical current carrying wires) that lead to different points for your panels. Some liquid connecting the tracers and you have a completed circuit that is not supposed to be....or in laymens terms "A short" that is blowing fuses.

Batee.com shows you how, step by step to repair your Digidash for a fraction of the cost that has been thrown around in this thread.....and honestly, it is a relatively easy repair....just time consuming and tedious. I spent almost two hours re soldering all the points they suggested, and now my dash is great. I messed up the "2" on my dash and one bar that makes a completed "2" is missing.....that is just because I let a piece of cleaner (erasure) on the panel...but if I get annoyed with it, I know how to fix it.

Keep chuggin' away on fixing these items one at a time and your car will get into nice shape.

Buying another C4 is just asking to redo your previous efforts. All of them have these same issues....it is just a lottery as to when these same issue hit each particular car.....notice all the threads are basically about the same shit over and over?? That is because what effects or breaks on my car today is going to break on another's tomorrow...they are all weak in the same places on the same items.

RX-7s are the exact same way. Celica's are the exact same way, you identify the models weak points and attack them as they arise and soon you have a nicely upgraded car.

Just to reinforce my point, who was that guy that was selling his Red C4 on ebay just three weeks ago?? You know the one, it had that hood scoop on it because he carbed it?? That car had ~300k miles on it yet He was getting close to $8500 for it. Why? because He had gone through almost everything on that car....no way all his systems lasted 300K without getting rebuilt at one point.

You look at it that way and you'll soon stop dragging your pecker in the dirt and get busy doing what needs to be done to fix up your ride......and you have fun doing it if you look at it in the right attitude. You look at it as if it is a chore and you'll not enjoy it, you look at repairs as a chance to make some system better than it was.....then it is fun.
Posted on: 2008/4/22 5:41

CentralCoaster Re: 450 dollars for a Digidash
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Yeah, believe it or not, the car will get more reliable as you work on it, not less. Now if you get too creative with mods, you can go backwards.

Fixing a problem car would probably be easier than selling it!
Posted on: 2008/4/22 14:44

pappyfreebird Re: 450 dollars for a Digidash
Senior Guru
1028 Posts

wow i love you mayun!!!!look at the whole n some never begin ...look at one at a time n it gits done...but as fer the peckar ina dirt ! well ats why i use ductape er tuck it in my boot!!! i cant type but i r nawt stupid wahahahahahahaa
Posted on: 2008/4/22 16:04

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.