Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
183 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Offset
The distance from the wheel mounting flange to the imaginary centerline of the wheel. Wheels with negative offset will protrude outwards more, while...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

astock165 New product offering: rear suspension links with spherical rod ends.
Registered Vendor
Manchester NH
199 Posts

Posted on: 2008/6/3 0:38
www.banskimotorsports.com
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

CentralCoaster Re: New product offering: rear suspension links with spherical rod ends.
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Can you verify if these will work on a 84-87 suspension?

Also I believe Gary is a supporting vendor here. Is he selling them or just you?
Posted on: 2008/6/3 2:31

CentralCoaster Re: New product offering: rear suspension links with spherical rod ends.
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I want to move this to C4 Tech, it will fit in better there and get more views.
Posted on: 2008/6/3 2:32

Mekanic Re: New product offering: rear suspension links with spherical rod ends.
Registered Vendor
Tampa Bay Florida
827 Posts

I wish I had money, the next thing that needs replaced on my vette is the trailing arm bushings, so this is tempting as hell, but my lack of funds makes it impossible.

GL on the sale, glad to see its american made.
Posted on: 2008/6/3 2:43

Yea tho I walk through the valley in the shadow of rice, I shall fear no turbo, for torque art with me.

astock165 Re: New product offering: rear suspension links with spherical rod ends.
Registered Vendor
Manchester NH
199 Posts

Quote:
CentralCoaster wrote: Can you verify if these will work on a 84-87 suspension?

It should work fine for the early C4s.  One of the other nice features is that it is adj length so they can be tuned for any car.  All the mounting hardware is 1/2" diameter on the frame side and 5/8" diameter on the knuckle side.

Quote:
Also I believe Gary is a supporting vendor here. Is he selling them or just you?

I am also a supporting vendor of the Guru, I sent Bogus my info a few months ago.  But to answer your question: No, Gary is not selling them at this point, only I am as it is the first offering of the product.
Posted on: 2008/6/3 10:51

BrianCunningham Re: New product offering: rear suspension links with spherical rod ends.
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

astock, I was waiting for you to come out with this.

Looks good dude.

Set me up with a set when I'm over to install a set of Gary's coilovers.

Can you get the trailing arms any length?
I want to put a plate at the back of my uprights so I can lengthen the trailing arms. The stockers are too short in my mind. If you have the measurements, I can work out the lengths.

Either way what your selling is a vast improvement over stock, and a bargain compared to what the other vendor want.

BTW Forum people, I've meet astock, he's a stand up guy.
Posted on: 2008/6/3 12:53

SpectatorRacing Re: New product offering: rear suspension links with spherical rod ends.
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Holy crap, that's a helluva deal on the camber rods. Too bad I already have some.

I'm going to get a set of the trailing arms in the next month or so. What's the lead time to have a set made?

Lastly, can you put a flat spot on each rod in the center so I can get a wrench on them to adjust? The knurling won't be enough to turn them under load...although this proably applies more to the camber rods than the trailing arms.

Thanks, they look great.
Posted on: 2008/6/3 13:45

ghoffman Re: New product offering: rear suspension links with spherical rod ends.
Senior Guru
258 Posts

No, I am not selling this, but I did help Tom get started on this, since I use these type of trailing rods on my GT1 car and they work great. These are absolutely the best available for a C4, period. With conventional kits that use jam nuts, it is a PITA to get them all tight on both ends while not turning the rods and/or screwing up the Heim joint alignment. With this setup, all you need is a little 1/4 inch 12 point (Sears, etc) wrench and you do not need to have some mongo huge open end for the jam nuts as others use. You do not need any flats to turn them, since you don't burger the end of the rods like the jam nuts do. This is secure, lightweight, easy to use, made in USA from the best materials available, and looks cool too! What more do you want? Yes, I have C6Z now, but I had an '89 that got me alot of trophies, so I have a soft spot for them. A lot of people complain that vendors do not support the C4's, but that works both ways too.
Posted on: 2008/6/3 15:20

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

What are the advantages/disadvantages of a teflon race vs a greaseable rod end?

Which is going to give me more or less strength, more or less wear, more or less problems using them on a semi-daily driver?
Posted on: 2008/6/3 16:35

jhammons01 Re: New product offering: rear suspension links with spherical rod ends.
Senior Guru
1044 Posts

You know, those replacement trailing arm "dogbones" from GM are $45 a piece.....That is stock. You need 4....so roughly ~$200 for stockers or pay another $150 for these puppy's

Nice deal, of course, I am broke right now....But I'll put this on my wish list 4sure.
Posted on: 2008/6/3 17:01

astock165 Re: New product offering: rear suspension links with spherical rod ends.
Registered Vendor
Manchester NH
199 Posts

Quote:

SpectatorRacing wrote:

I'm going to get a set of the trailing arms in the next month or so. What's the lead time to have a set made?.

1 to 2 weeks right now as I only have one set on hand but will likely be ordering more.

Quote:

SpectatorRacing wrote:Lastly, can you put a flat spot on each rod in the center so I can get a wrench on them to adjust? The knurling won't be enough to turn them under load...although this proably applies more to the camber rods than the trailing arms.

I can but it would mess up the red anodize on the links, and I agree with Gary that I don't think you'd need it. I will do it however if that's what you'd like.
Posted on: 2008/6/3 17:03

Registered Vendor
Manchester NH
199 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
What are the advantages/disadvantages of a teflon race vs a greaseable rod end?

Which is going to give me more or less strength?

These two actually go hand in hand. I spoke with the rod end mfr today and they advised that a Teflon lined rod end will provide 10%-20% more strength than a similarly sized grease fitting equipped rod end.

Quote:

more or less wear, more or less problems using them on a semi-daily driver?

More or less wear depends on so many things it's hard to say for sure. However, I like the Teflon lined because they are "no maintainence". If you forget to grease one of the others you might get premature wear.
Posted on: 2008/6/3 17:22

rayquayle Re: New product offering: rear suspension links with spherical rod ends.
Senior Guru
139 Posts

Quote:
More or less wear depends on so many things it's hard to say for sure. However, I like the Teflon lined because they are "no maintainence". If you forget to grease one of the others you might get premature wear.

And I would assume we could purchase replacement rod ends. One question though, would you be willing to ship USPS. That's how I receive my mail through the Military Postal System via USPS.

Thanks. They look great BTW.
Posted on: 2008/6/3 17:44
NCM Founder #2896
NCM Lifetime #672
Graduate of Gordon's School

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Ok then, I do want a set of the camber rods, but I have to decide if I want the dogbones also.

Ray, rod ends are readily available in many standard sizes. We had two long threads up here about it a few months ago, several race supply catalogs where mentioned and also mcmaster.com appeared to have the same stuff. You'd just need to take some measurements off these to be sure you're getting the right one.
Posted on: 2008/6/3 18:09

Registered Vendor
Manchester NH
199 Posts

Quote:
rayquayle wrote:And I would assume we could purchase replacement rod ends .

You certainly can buy replacement rod ends.  Central Coaster's post above is correct that you can buy replacement rod ends from a number of sources.  Please check with me however as I might be able to make a better deal or at least match what you find to make sure you get the best stuff.

Quote:
rayquayle wrote:One question though, would you be willing to ship USPS. That's how I receive my mail through the Military Postal System via USPS. Thanks. They look great BTW.

Yes I would, that's no problem at all.
Posted on: 2008/6/3 23:55

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I had some questions for gary on the dog bones. I'm not sure if I need em. I can send you a deposit on the camber links for now if you'd like.
Posted on: 2008/6/4 5:18

rayquayle Re: New product offering: rear suspension links with spherical rod ends.
Senior Guru
139 Posts

Quote:

astock165 wrote:
Quote:
rayquayle wrote:And I would assume we could purchase replacement rod ends .

You certainly can buy replacement rod ends.  Central Coaster's post above is correct that you can buy replacement rod ends from a number of sources.  Please check with me however as I might be able to make a better deal or at least match what you find to make sure you get the best stuff.

Quote:
rayquayle wrote:One question though, would you be willing to ship USPS. That's how I receive my mail through the Military Postal System via USPS. Thanks. They look great BTW.

Yes I would, that's no problem at all.

Then count me in, as you've indicated there is enough adjustability to fit '84-'87! I'm with CC though as to go for the dog bones as well. How do I get the ball rolling? Just Paypal the 10% to banskimotorsports@verizon.net? Then wait for contact from you when they are ready to ship and Paypal the balance?

Thanks.
Posted on: 2008/6/4 5:35
NCM Founder #2896
NCM Lifetime #672

Registered Vendor
Manchester NH
199 Posts

Quote:
rayquayle wrote: How do I get the ball rolling? Just Paypal the 10% to banskimotorsports@verizon.net? Then wait for contact from you when they are ready to ship and Paypal the balance? Thanks.

Quote:
  CentralCoaster wrote: I can send you a deposit on the camber links for now if you'd like.

PMs sent on payment and order details.
Posted on: 2008/6/4 10:21

CasetheCorvetteman Re: New product offering: rear suspension links with spherical rod ends.
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Astock165, your avitar is HUGE mate, do you think you could size it down to about half that for me?

The kit looks great by the way, very well made
Posted on: 2008/6/4 10:47

BrianCunningham Re: New product offering: rear suspension links with spherical rod ends.
Senior Guru
7763 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Ok then, I do want a set of the camber rods, but I have to decide if I want the dogbones also.

The dogbones are going to make the biggest difference. That's where all the binding is.

You get the camber rods to get rid of that stupid factory cam setup!

[QUOTE]I can set you up with whatever lengths you need. I'll PM you and we'll set it up.[/QUOTE]

Since the only thing that will change is the length of the rods, I'll order up a set and install them. The tubes are the cheap part, the hardware will be the same, and you've already done the hard work, making all the adapters. :thumbs:

I may wind up liking the performance change so much that I wind up keeping them the stock length.

Quote:

CasetheCorvetteman wrote:
Astock165, your avitar is HUGE mate, do you think you could size it down to about half that for me?

Thanks for fixing that astock165

BTW install pics for the "other forum"

BTW2 The clamps can be rotated for clearance:

[QUOTE]Here are some pics of the kit installed on my car (93 coupe). Between the [B][U]centerline of the shock and the edge of the omega clamp[/U][/B] measures about 1 3/4" on my car. I would bet that you could buy a bit more by biasing the top of the shock inboard a little when installing it on the eyeball plate that attaches to the frame. Hope this helps.

[IMG]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a196/turban65/trailingarmsoncar1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a196/turban65/trailingarmshockclearance2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a196/turban65/camberrodoncar1.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]
Posted on: 2008/6/4 18:13

Senior Guru
139 Posts

OK Tom. PM received and reply sent. Based on the trusted word of Mr. Cunningham, I'll have the dogbones too. Deposit Paypal'd.
Posted on: 2008/6/4 20:00
NCM Founder #2896
NCM Lifetime #672

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Ok, what the hell. I'll try the dogbones too.

But, the clearance on the rear shock is VERY tight on the early C4.

So FYI you may find me trying to return these if they don't fit, or experimenting with the longer shock mounts from a 88+ car. Hopefully I could get that from a junkyard if needed.
Posted on: 2008/6/4 22:51

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

The next thing I'd be interested in seeing is adjustable front sway bar end links.

I don't need the sway bar to be adjustable, but the stock end links are HORRIBLE and bind badly.

Plus that'd allow me to adjust cornerweights right?
Posted on: 2008/6/4 23:15

Registered Vendor
Manchester NH
199 Posts

Quote:
CentralCoaster wrote: The next thing I'd be interested in seeing is adjustable front sway bar end links. I don't need the sway bar to be adjustable, but the stock end links are HORRIBLE and bind badly.

It's funny that you say that because I also put adj swaybar end links on both the front and rear of my car this winter.  Unfortunately my supplier of the turnbuckles doesn't make anything that small yet so I had to go the jam nut route.  My biggest complaint is that the replacement bushings I bought were not fit well at all for either the stock FE1 sway bar or the 32 mm solid that I put in last weekend.  I put something together but I'm not entirely happy with it.  Looks like a have another project on the list!

Quote:
CentralCoaster wrote:Plus that'd allow me to adjust cornerweights right?

Not necessarily.  Corner weighting comes from adjusting the springs in each corner.  However that spring adjustment is done with the swaybar disconnected.  Then when complete you use the adj link to ensure that there is no pre-load on the sway bar.

Example: I ended up jacking the LR corner of my car until my cross wt % was 50% (with the swaybar disconnected).  Then I adjusted the end links so they were just the right length to be snug (no play) between the sway bar and the control arm, but not have any major tension on it either.
Posted on: 2008/6/4 23:28

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Yeah I guess a preloaded sway bar would result in uneven spring rates. The side that's loaded up would take extra to compress, and the other side would be a little less than the spring's rate.
Posted on: 2008/6/5 5:44

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

Swaybar heim links are one of the 1st things people do in street prepared. VERY GOOD mod.

Not to be taken lightly though. I knew someone in MI who tried to do it cheap, he didn't check full motion out, and broke a brake rotor at an autocross.

Properly engineed though, you'll be quick happy with the results. BTW Totally legal in BSP.
Posted on: 2008/6/5 15:13

jhammons01 Re: New product offering: rear suspension links with spherical rod ends.
Senior Guru
1044 Posts

Damn, you have to read this thread daily to keep up with what is transpiring.

thanks guys, I am learning a lot.

BrianC what is BSP?
Posted on: 2008/6/5 15:37

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

BSP = B Street Prepared, an SCCA autocrossing class.

http://www.autoxwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Street_Prepared
Posted on: 2008/6/5 15:52

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

jhammons01 wrote:
Damn, you have to read this thread daily to keep up with what is transpiring.

thanks guys, I am learning a lot.

BrianC what is BSP?

BSP = Barely Speeding in Parkinglot

I don't think I'll be racing in any more groups with rules besides "no bumping", so I'm good to go.

My brakes had already put me in StreetMod2, which is ridiculous for an otherwise stock '85 vette.
Posted on: 2008/6/5 23:27

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
BSP = Barely Speeding in Parkinglot

Then your not going fast enough

We're WAY over the speed limit on our runs :D

Check out my videos
http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=swiftwood&p=r
Posted on: 2008/6/6 13:07

ghoffman Re: New product offering: rear suspension links with spherical rod ends.
Senior Guru
258 Posts

BSP
Brian's Supercharged Plastic car
Posted on: 2008/6/6 13:12

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

LOL
Posted on: 2008/6/6 13:28

Registered Vendor
Manchester NH
199 Posts

Just an update. We have shipped the first three sets and have parts to make six more so there are more avaailable.
Posted on: 2008/6/11 16:35

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.