Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
269 user(s) are online (205 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  TH400
Automatic Transmission - 3 Speed

1st Gear: 2.48
2nd Gear: 1.48
3rd Gear: 1.00

- Used in production GM models from 1964 thru 1990.
- 13 Bolt ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

jimmers I need to vent!
Senior Guru
Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada
211 Posts

I apologize in advance if this is long, but I feel I need to share my horrible experience.

I took the vette to a local engine shop to get rebuilt last spring. I chose this place because of some recommendations from people I know. To make a long story short, it took 2 months to rebuild the engine! The parts were all on order, or they sent the wrong part etc etc. Shortly after I got the car it started smoking quite a bit. I took it back, they looked it over and said that it was fine and that it just needs to be broken in. I drive it for a bit but it got much worse. I called back again but he kept insisting that it was fine. I ended up just driving the car down there. They looked at it and said it neeeded a tune. So I took it to get tuned. Now after 3 hours of trying to get it tuned we find out that my oxgyen sensor is giving very bad readings. We investigate and it turns out it's burning oil. So I had to pay for 3 hours of dyno time!! I called the next day to let him know. I got an appointment 2 weeks later. It turns out the valve steam seals were leaking. He replaced them. He never once apoligized or admitted his mistake. I took the car back and got it tuned. Now all this was finally done mid August. Where I live thats pretty much the end of summer. I got to drive the car for about a month and a half.

Now a few weeks ago you guys might remember me posting about an acceleration problem. I called in 2 weeks ago for an appointment and took it in yesterday. Now before I took it there I told him I had one bad wire, and the fuel pressure guage on the car wasnt working. He called me yesterday and said the wires fine. I told him there is a little crack in the wire and you get shocked everytime you touch it. He said it was fine, and that never happened to him. So I told him I will show him when I pick up the car. He called me shortly after and said they think the fuel pressure regulator or fuel pump is bad. He asked if I had the old regulator from last year so they could try it. I told him I didn't. He said it would be 2 weeks before they ordered one in! I asked why they didn't have one in the shop to try. He said mines different. He said he's going to have to charge me if I want them to figure out the problem from here on in. I asked him why it wasn't under warranty, the engine has a 2 year warranty? He said only the engine was covered for 2 years, the rest was only 6 months. I told him thats crap, I havent even driven the car for 6 months! Get this, he said its not his fault I don't drive it in the winter. After that I told him to stop working on the car and I'll come pick it up. I'm leaving right now to go get it. I'm so pissed right now!! I waited 2 weeks to bring it there because he said its all under warranty! Now that its there he won't cover it! Sorry for the rant!!
Posted on: 2008/6/24 19:10
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

DaleD Re: I need to vent!
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Don't be sorry. We all need to vent. I've been doing my share. Sorry about your bad luck. Maybe we can start a club?
Posted on: 2008/6/24 19:18

CSS996 Re: I need to vent!
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Sounds like somebody else should be working on it anyway. I hope you can find someone who will take care of it properly.

Major bummer.
Posted on: 2008/6/24 19:23

red_johnny Re: I need to vent!
On Sabbatical
Augusta, GA (85 383 stroker)
3213 Posts

What a turd. I hate bad mechanics like that. I had my fair share of them butt heads.
Posted on: 2008/6/24 19:26

FLYINLOW90 Re: I need to vent!
Senior Guru
Windsor Ontario Canada
514 Posts

I don't know but I'm getting the bad vibes from this guy as you are. I too would certainly be picking up the car and cutting my loses and get it somewhere where the shop seems to want to get it right.

He's treatin' you like a blank check.

Sorry to hear about this Man.

Keep us informed.
Gary
Posted on: 2008/6/24 19:30

Matatk Re: I need to vent!
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

That sucks. Hopefully you can work it out.

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/6/24 20:10

CentralCoaster Re: I need to vent!
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I think that's his way of telling you he has no idea what he's doing.

A good mechanic will do that upfront. A better mechanic will actually know what the hell he's doing.

It sounds like you're letting him make all the rules. Did you pay in full for the initial work? Have you paid on all the other work done?

And I don't think that warranty starts until the work is completed, which apparently it never was.

Sounds like he owes you 3 hours of dyno time at the very least. As far as old parts, you have to ask him prior to the work being done if you want old parts back, or maybe he's obligated to ask you. But after that point, you might as well assume it's in the dumpster (or on one of his other customer's cars).

The fuel pressure regulator is easy work though. Most of the aftermarket ones still use the stock diaphram and just add an adjustable screw to the lid which couldn't possibly be an issue, so I'm not sure what he's saying will take 2 weeks to get.
Posted on: 2008/6/24 20:23

jimmers Re: I need to vent!
Senior Guru
211 Posts

Quote:

FLYINLOW90 wrote:
I don't know but I'm getting the bad vibes from this guy as you are. I too would certainly be picking up the car and cutting my loses and get it somewhere where the shop seems to want to get it right.

He's treatin' you like a blank check.

Sorry to hear about this Man.

Keep us informed.
Gary

Ya he doesnt care. He already has my money.
Posted on: 2008/6/24 20:28

Senior Guru
211 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
It sounds like you're letting him make all the rules. Did you pay in full for the initial work? Have you paid on all the other work done?

Sounds like he owes you 3 hours of dyno time at the very least. As far as old parts, you have to ask him prior to the work being done if you want old parts back, or maybe he's obligated to ask you. But after that point, you might as well assume it's in the dumpster (or on one of his other customer's cars).

Well I paid for the engine work last year after it was running properly. I complained out the dyno time and 02 sensor, but he said I shouldn't of taken it there because it was under warranty with them. I know it doesnt make sense but thats the story. I havent paid a dime to him since last year but thats besides the point. This guy has the worst customer service I've ever seen. He wants me to take it back after 1500 miles to check it over. I don't think I'm going to be doing that if I don't need to.
I took the car to my girlfriends uncle shop. He actually owns two Stingrays, and hes family so he won't screw me over. I took the car to him twice when I first got it. I just wish there was somthing I could do to this guy and his shop to get money back or let everyone know about it. I don't really want to take it to court or anything.
Posted on: 2008/6/24 20:35

vetteblondie Re: I need to vent!
Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4648 Posts

I can sympathize with you, as everyone here heard my bitching about my car, was out of a vette for three months or so. My condolences.....
Posted on: 2008/6/24 23:19

Yes, I'm a bitch... just not YOURS.

Resized Image

Livin_the_dream Re: I need to vent!
Senior Guru
robesonia , pa
516 Posts

Quote:

jimmers wrote:

I just wish there was somthing I could do to this guy and his shop to get money back or let everyone know about it. I don't really want to take it to court or anything.

Might not get your money back but word of mouth could hurt him. Let everyone know how bad the service and treatment was
Posted on: 2008/6/25 1:52

TommyT-Bone Re: I need to vent!
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

I'm setting myself up here but I think he was warranting his rebuild. Nobody I know would warrant externals except for the manufacturers warranty and 60 to 90 days labor. I'm not supporting him just stating what I encounter. I feel your pain on the Dyno time though.
Posted on: 2008/6/25 2:06

Senior Guru
211 Posts

Quote:

Livin_the_dream wrote:
Quote:

jimmers wrote:

I just wish there was somthing I could do to this guy and his shop to get money back or let everyone know about it. I don't really want to take it to court or anything.

Might not get your money back but word of mouth could hurt him. Let everyone know how bad the service and treatment was

I've already told a bunch of car people I know about it. I hope it gets around.
Posted on: 2008/6/25 2:12

Senior Guru
211 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
I'm setting myself up here but I think he was warranting his rebuild. Nobody I know would warrant externals except for the manufacturers warranty and 60 to 90 days labor. I'm not supporting him just stating what I encounter. I feel your pain on the Dyno time though.

Well either way the customer serive could be waaaaaay better. He screwed me around for quite awhile. I called him before I took the car in and told him the problems I'm having. He told me straight up he won't charge me anything unless its a faulty part. There is only a 6 month warranty on external parts like you said. I'm fine with paying for parts, I understand there is a manufacturer warranty. I just hate getting the work around.
The dyno time did hurt, its not exactly cheap!
Posted on: 2008/6/25 2:28

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.