Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
165 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Bowling Green
Bowling Green, KY, is the location of the Corvette assembly plant since 1981. From 1954-1981, Corvettes were assembled in St Louis, MO.

The Natio...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

vettebigguy '93LT1starts and then dies...not now !!!!
Guru Newb
Canada
21 Posts

Hi, everyone, last week I was posting the question about my '93LT1 starting and then running for a short while and then dieing. I had it at a Chevrolet dealership and they were just throwing parts at it..anyone remember that story. Well I am here today to tell you all it is now fixed and on the road working just perfectly. A buddy of mine got mad at the dealership ( it is 200 miles from my home , we broke down on the road ) went and got my car on his trailer and took it to his friends shop, John diagnosed the problem and had the car fixed and on the road in less than 24 hours. The Chevy dealership had the car 5 1/2 weeks and could not come up with an answer. Turned out it was the Optispark distributor, it was very rusty and the pick up module inside was screwed. So he put another one in and I was off to the races. I just want to thank every one who responded to my questions and gave me positive good advice and encouragement . Thank you all, it is reassuring to know there are guy out there that are willing to help out. I will keep checking out the forums and hopefully I can return the good will and help someone else out there who is in need. Thanks again everyone !!!! Remember, Don't save the wave....USE IT !!!

Cheers all

Jeff
Posted on: 2008/9/3 16:47
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

DaleD Re: '93LT1starts and then dies...not now !!!!
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

A C4 is not for the weak of heart. They can be such a joy, and then such a pain. Not only do you get great information here, you get people who really care and understand what you're going through.

Glad it's running well. Enjoy.
Posted on: 2008/9/3 17:40

pianoguy Re: '93LT1starts and then dies...not now !!!!
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Good to hear all is well again!
Posted on: 2008/9/3 17:46

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

CentralCoaster Re: '93LT1starts and then dies...not now !!!!
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Yeah, its basically impossible to own a C4 without doing the work yourself, unless you've got lots of patience and lots of money to pay incompetent mechanics.

I'm trying to find the previous thread...
Posted on: 2008/9/3 18:06

Matatk Re: '93LT1starts and then dies...not now !!!!
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22811 Posts

Glad you got it worked out!

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/9/4 0:27

Lichen Re: '93LT1starts and then dies...not now !!!!
Guru
Scottsdale, Arizona
166 Posts

I'm really suprised that the opti-spark wasn't the first thing the dealership jumped on. That's a big $$ deal for them. Your rear tire may be low on air and they will usually say that it's the opti-spark.
Posted on: 2008/9/4 1:30

Schrade Re: '93LT1starts and then dies...not now !!!!
Elite Guru
eastern NC / e-i-e-i-o
1909 Posts

Quote:

vettebigguy wrote:
Hi, everyone, last week I was posting the question about my '93LT1 starting and then running for a short while and then dieing. I had it at a Chevrolet dealership and they were just throwing parts at it..anyone remember that story. Well I am here today to tell you all it is now fixed and on the road working just perfectly. A buddy of mine got mad at the dealership ( it is 200 miles from my home , we broke down on the road ) went and got my car on his trailer and took it to his friends shop, John diagnosed the problem and had the car fixed and on the road in less than 24 hours. The Chevy dealership had the car 5 1/2 weeks and could not come up with an answer. Turned out it was the Optispark distributor, it was very rusty and the pick up module inside was screwed. So he put another one in and I was off to the races. I just want to thank every one who responded to my questions and gave me positive good advice and encouragement . Thank you all, it is reassuring to know there are guy out there that are willing to help out. I will keep checking out the forums and hopefully I can return the good will and help someone else out there who is in need. Thanks again everyone !!!! Remember, Don't save the wave....USE IT !!!

Cheers all

Jeff

Glad it's fixed.

I would REALLY like to talk to John, to find out why/how he knew the optispark was at fault, with out any opti codes lit up. Please post his shop #, or PM me his number, or get him to post here.

I would REALLY like to know this, since I have an Ignition Circuit Fault also, as indicated by DTC codes, but opti is NOT indicated, NOR is it part of the FSM diagnostic procedure for ICC fault...
Posted on: 2008/9/4 2:21

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Well, in his case, the opti wasn't sending reference pulses to the ECM to fire the injectors. Maybe there's no feedback on that system to throw a code (although I remember seeing a code for it).
Posted on: 2008/9/4 6:39

cuisinartvette Re: '93LT1starts and then dies...not now !!!!
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

I remember that other thread and how frustrated you were.
On C4#1 I wound up at a dealer and was told straight out AFTER paying them for a diganostic they couldnt figure out (it was a lousy alternator) they dont work on cars that old, especially Vettes. OBD1 is old news and noone knows or cares how to work on them I guess. It was then it hit home you either find out how to fix these yourself or shell out $1000 every time the car does something funny or sell it.
Posted on: 2008/9/4 7:14

Click here if your browser does not automatically redirect you.

Elite Guru
eastern NC / e-i-e-i-o
1909 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Well, in his case, the opti wasn't sending reference pulses to the ECM to fire the injectors. Maybe there's no feedback on that system to throw a code (although I remember seeing a code for it).

I forgotten about that 'no injector pulsewidth'...

But I also remember I said no pulsewidth SHOULD be easy to track the problem.
Quote:

Blade_1 wrote:

Now for what you have current:
Seems that lost pulsewidth at the injectors should be pretty easy to trace, given an FSM, or experience...

Does the '93 FSM say to check opti OUTPUT when there's no pulsewidth???
Posted on: 2008/9/4 14:11

BillH Re: '93LT1starts and then dies...not now !!!!
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Glad you're on the road BigGuy.

A 92-93 opti can be all screwed up inside and throw no codes, at least for a while.
I replaced mine for a different problem, shutting off above 4k under load. It did this for 3 months and threw no codes. I went thru the FSM disgnosis, tried a coil module, a coil and even dry iced the ECM.
After 3k miles of this, it finally thru an opti code.
The opti was rusty, the ring was wavey and when I set it on the workbench, the balls fell out of the bearing. I'm supprised it ran at all.
Posted on: 2008/9/4 15:02

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Blade, injector pulsewidth and reference pulse are 2 different things.

"reference pulse" basically is the opti telling the ECM the position of the camshaft, so that it knows when to fire the injectors. This could be one pulse per revolution or 8 pulses, depending on batch fire vs sequential injection.
Posted on: 2008/9/4 16:51

Elite Guru
eastern NC / e-i-e-i-o
1909 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Blade, injector pulsewidth and reference pulse are 2 different things.

"reference pulse" basically is the opti telling the ECM the position of the camshaft, so that it knows when to fire the injectors. This could be one pulse per revolution or 8 pulses, depending on batch fire vs sequential injection.

I knew that.

That was a typo in my post there uh-huh...
Posted on: 2008/9/5 1:23

vettebigguy Re: '93LT1starts and then dies...not now !!!!
Guru Newb
Canada
21 Posts

Well, again thanks you guys,it has been suggested more than once that I go after the dealership for some sort of refund, after all 1300 bucks with nothing to show for is a little bit much. Yeah, the guy at the dealership said they didn't have anyone there who knew much about the " Old Cars " ..old cars..geez...but still it is old technology, and should be a no brainer.
John put the car on a SUN scope and it was like the heart monitor when you guys go to the doctor, showed a good clean reading until thing warmed up and the second printout showed the pulses becoming erratic and then the engine died, Passed Away was John's term..and he went right to it ( can you guys tell me how to post a pic and I'll show you what she looked like ) All rusted out, but the module inside was the culprit.
Here is John's info.. John Colliver John's Automotive Service and Carquest 509-276-5392 , he is locate just north of Spokane Washington, guys he is phenomenal !!!!!I would recommend him confidently, his shop is very large and you can eat off the floor, it is so clean..looks like an airplane hanger ! He is an old school guy, he will get all my business from now on !! If any of you call him, tell him where you got his number please, tell him Jeff from Canada with the sick '93 Corvette and that will tie it in. He is very approachable...let me know how you make out.

Let me know about that picture thing and I'll show you the bad distributor..cheers guys

Jeff
Posted on: 2008/9/5 15:42

Elite Guru
eastern NC / e-i-e-i-o
1909 Posts

Quote:

vettebigguy wrote:
Well, again thanks you guys,it has been suggested more than once that I go after the dealership for some sort of refund, after all 1300 bucks with nothing to show for is a little bit much. Yeah, the guy at the dealership said they didn't have anyone there who knew much about the " Old Cars " ..old cars..geez...but still it is old technology, and should be a no brainer.
John put the car on a SUN scope and it was like the heart monitor when you guys go to the doctor, showed a good clean reading until thing warmed up and the second printout showed the pulses becoming erratic and then the engine died, Passed Away was John's term..and he went right to it ( can you guys tell me how to post a pic and I'll show you what she looked like ) All rusted out, but the module inside was the culprit.
Here is John's info.. John Colliver John's Automotive Service and Carquest 509-276-5392 , he is locate just north of Spokane Washington, guys he is phenomenal !!!!!I would recommend him confidently, his shop is very large and you can eat off the floor, it is so clean..looks like an airplane hanger ! He is an old school guy, he will get all my business from now on !! If any of you call him, tell him where you got his number please, tell him Jeff from Canada with the sick '93 Corvette and that will tie it in. He is very approachable...let me know how you make out.

Let me know about that picture thing and I'll show you the bad distributor..cheers guys

Jeff

Coaster 'splained some stuff to me there... And I got FSM with a little more knowledge, so I got a few answers...

$1,300 at the dealer? I would file a small claim/small claims court, depending on the words written on the service order with your signature.

You could get a set of TPIS HEADS for $1,300 - right matt26R???
Posted on: 2008/9/5 16:00

Guru Newb
Canada
21 Posts

Yeah, you're not the first guy to suggest a small claims court action, I have asked them for a refund and the suggestion has been passed to the boss', I am going to give them a few more days to make this right then i am going to move onup the corporate ladder. I was told these guys don't like the words 'Small Claims Court" , so we will see where it goes..probably no where, but it is worth a try...
Posted on: 2008/9/5 16:17

Elite Guru
eastern NC / e-i-e-i-o
1909 Posts

Quote:

vettebigguy wrote:
Yeah, you're not the first guy to suggest a small claims court action, I have asked them for a refund and the suggestion has been passed to the boss', I am going to give them a few more days to make this right then i am going to move onup the corporate ladder. I was told these guys don't like the words 'Small Claims Court" , so we will see where it goes..probably no where, but it is worth a try...

"suggestion passed to the boss"? Sure it is.

Put your words on paper, and give it to them. Depending on what the service order said, they have stolen your money. Dispute the credit card charges today. Get EVERY ball rollin'.

Words go away when the sound stops, or when the phone hangs up, whichever is first.

Paper doesn't go away.

Maybe I've mentioned that before tho'...
Posted on: 2008/9/5 17:07

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Blade, how'd you find a picture of his mechanic for your avatar?
Posted on: 2008/9/5 17:24

Elite Guru
eastern NC / e-i-e-i-o
1909 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Blade, how'd you find a picture of his mechanic for your avatar?

That's me on a good day.

On a bad day?

Resized Image

Although the monkey might get a better wrench-on than me, especially trackin' them electricals on my junk... WHEW!
Posted on: 2008/9/5 20:02

Guru Newb
Canada
21 Posts

That pic kind of reminds me of the guys who were " working " on my car.............yeah, he'll pass it on to the Boss alright.....sure.....I'm with you on that one LOL!!
Posted on: 2008/9/5 23:42

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Yeah, this is him passing it on...

http://games.sticky.tv/cyrkam_airtos/
Posted on: 2008/9/6 0:26

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.