Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
126 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

TommyT-Bone, more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  4L60
The automatic from 1992-1993. The same as the 700R4, just has a different name.

Either way, they are junk. There are some minor differences on a ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

DaleD Just sitting and thinkin'....
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Sometimes I sits and thinks... and sometimes I just sits!

Anyway, I have this 87 coupe. Paid for, and less than reliable. I've been looking at C5s. I'd also like a 96 LT4. Another option is... do something to the 87 I have. As I see it, it would be an engine replace/rebuild and a transmission hardening. A crate ZZ4, $4k, install another $1k. I think I could do a rebuild with upgrades for maybe $3.5k. Transmission, $1.5k? So, that's about $5k - $7k.

Questions: Is it possible to come out of that event with a car that is reliable? Would the crate be better than a rebuilt and modded L98? I don't have the tolerance to fussing with a car like some of the guys here. It's neither good or bad, just me.

I can get a C5 for about $18k. So, if I got $7k trade in, I'm spending another $11k for a new car that will be worth $11k in 2 years. That's -$7k, the cost of the upgrades of the C4. But, the C5 is pretty nice, and just by virtue of age, they are bound to be more reliable.

My 87 is paid for. Do I just pony up the cash and make it what I want it to be, can I even get there from here? I've heard the saying: Fast, Cheap, Reliable, pick two. Just thinking out loud, wondering what you guys think.
Posted on: 2008/10/30 15:04

Matatk Re: Just sitting and thinkin'....
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22810 Posts

I think you have to consider, what is "unreliable" about your car? Is it the motor itself? Is it the sensors, electronics, and other components? A crate motor won't replace all of the electronics and sensors, the alternator, the a/c, etc.. You'd be swapping all of that over. What benefit would a crate motor have over having your block bored out and maybe stroking it? A crate motor, once you top it back off with your TPI, won't make that huge of numbers. A cams/head package should do the same to the L98 in there now. So why not freshen it up and save over the cost of the crate motor?

What happened to your race engine guy? Is he still around? Does he have any suggestions for you?

Good luck,

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/10/30 15:51

DaleD Re: Just sitting and thinkin'....
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Quote:

What happened to your race engine guy? Is he still around? Does he have any suggestions for you?

Good luck,

Matthew

The racer guy is still around, but I replaced him with the High School friend who did the head gaskets. Nothing against the racer, just the HS friend did it cheaper and is closer. I haven't talked to the HS friend lately, last time I saw him, he told me to bring it down and we'd fix the egr problem for the price of the beer we drink. I'm going to do that next weekend.

When we last spoke, he told me to buy an old L98, he'd rework it, then drop it in my car when it was ready. It was just casual talk, no prices discussed, but definately would be cheaper than a crate.

This is the equavilent of kicking tires. I'm not going to do anything right away, just thinking. Definately have to wait for after the election, because if it goes to the Democrat, I'll have less money to do silly things with.
Posted on: 2008/10/30 16:10

CentralCoaster Re: Just sitting and thinkin'....
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Either way, your money will be going away... to bomb Iran, or to the new national welfare system.

Is the car in good condition cosmetically? Are you spending this money to put a good powerplant inside a turd of a car? Is it something you'll be proud of having even though it'll be worth way less than you have into it?
Posted on: 2008/10/30 16:33

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Either way, your money will be going away... to bomb Iran, or to the new national welfare system.

Is the car in good condition cosmetically? Are you spending this money to put a good powerplant inside a turd of a car? Is it something you'll be proud of having even though it'll be worth way less than you have into it?

Well, who is spending my money is more of an off topic, but the way the range is changing, I'm pretty sure the Dems will consider me rich.

Car is in pretty good condition cosmetically. I do like going to car shows and it's much more interesting to look at older cars that have been kept up, versus someone's 5 year old bone stock car.

Short answer yes, I like the car's looks.

And unless I'm missing something, either the C4 or the C5 in 2 years will be worth much less than I have in it. The only way to save money is to not be in the game.

This is how I see it, (correct me if I'm wrong that's why I'm posting):
I'd save a few bucks modifying the C4 vs. buying a C5. Plus, I'd have a known quantity in the C4 vs. what could be someone else's problem child.
But, can I really get to where the car is fast and reliable? Is that possible? Or is it more likely I'd end up with just a string of new problems that crop up from screwing around with the car. I live about 400 miles from BG, Kentucky. I'd like to go again sometime and take my Corvette, not my POS Bonneville.
Posted on: 2008/10/30 17:06

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

That all depends on how much HP you add.

My car is more reliable now than the day I bought it.
Posted on: 2008/10/30 17:27

Schrade Re: Just sitting and thinkin'....
Elite Guru
eastern NC / e-i-e-i-o
1909 Posts

Why spend thousands of $$$???

Spend a couple of hundred on a computer scanner, and do some free diagnostics, and tune it to where it's not a 'risk' ride, or unreliable.

Resized Image

Here's the rest, if ya' want...
http://www.corvetteforums.com/m_37283/tm.htm
Posted on: 2008/10/30 17:35

Resized Image
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

CSS996 Re: Just sitting and thinkin'....
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Dale, I've read about all of your problems with the '87. Your car almost scared me out of buying a Vette, actually.

I wonder if maybe you just got "a bad one" if that actually happens. Are you more interested in showing the car, or driving to shows? Seems like maybe you want to make some longer trips. I assume the C5 would be more comfortable for that, but only you can be the judge. I think as the C4 continues to deprecia... I mean age, it may become more interesting for folks to look at. But there's plenty of cool things you can do to a C5 to make it show-worthy. it may just take you some time to come up with those funds.

But it's really all about driving the car, isn't it? So which would you rather DRIVE?

If you want a C5, are you going to be happy with your car after dumping 5-10 grand into it, or will you STILL want a C5?

Time to do some more sittin' and thinkin'. The answer is in your heart. You might just need a lot of magazines and toilet paper before you make the decision.

Either way, I know of a bitchin' website where you can hang out. PM me if you want the address!
Posted on: 2008/10/30 19:41

Elite Guru
eastern NC / e-i-e-i-o
1909 Posts

Up the premiums, and call 'Vinnie da torch'.

Or fix all the problems - call Kevorkian uh huh!
Posted on: 2008/10/30 19:50

Resized Image

Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

I'm guessing you are trying to be funny. But suggesting he commit suicide is not real productive.
Posted on: 2008/10/30 20:04

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Quote:

CSS996 wrote:
Dale, I've read about all of your problems with the '87. Your car almost scared me out of buying a Vette, actually.

Yeah, and my car almost scared me out of staying a Vette owner. Sometimes I still think I should just bundle the Bonneville and the Vette and get something more reasonable. It sucks to have 2 broke-ass cars.

Quote:

CSS996 wrote:
I wonder if maybe you just got "a bad one" if that actually happens. Are you more interested in showing the car, or driving to shows? Seems like maybe you want to make some longer trips.
But it's really all about driving the car, isn't it? So which would you rather DRIVE?

I might have gotten a bad one. Or at least a car that was dogged harder than it appeared. I know I had some impatience, but I did take steps to check myself, I still got a bad deal. It happens.
Yes, I do want to take longer trips. There are lots of places to go that would be great to just jump in the car with the wife and go. I don't trust the 87 on a trip. Small trips, sure, but over 100 miles? Nope.
Shows are just part of the equation. They give you something to do, a destination. Driving is what most of us do. I'm not a racer, but I like to go on a spirited drive. From my brief experience with the C5, I find both the C4 and C5 have their good points. Either one would be good. C4 - old school, muscle car feel only with handling. C5 - a little more refined, faster, but loss of the raw feel.

Quote:

CSS996 wrote:
If you want a C5, are you going to be happy with your car after dumping 5-10 grand into it, or will you STILL want a C5?

Who knows? I got it from my dad, the wandering eye for cars. It's fun to trade, get new, get different. That POS Bonneville is the car I've owned longest, over 6 years. Before the Vette, I used to trade about ever 3-4 years.

Quote:

CSS996 wrote:
Time to do some more sittin' and thinkin'. The answer is in your heart. You might just need a lot of magazines and toilet paper before you make the decision.

Either way, I know of a bitchin' website where you can hang out. PM me if you want the address!

This is no stress, just seeing what you guys think. Most of the time it doesn't hurt to get a fresh perspective. Maybe someone with an insight on something I wasn't considering, etc. I won't do anything until spring, but it's fun to consider the options.
And I thought this is the place to hang out?!
Posted on: 2008/10/30 20:10

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Quote:

CSS996 wrote:
I'm guessing you are trying to be funny. But suggesting he commit suicide is not real productive.

No harm. I thought the Vinnie da torch comment was especially funny. Nothing like watching a plastic car melt, I'd bet.

Blade_1 had some good info on TPI, he's just trying to help.
Posted on: 2008/10/30 20:13

Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Well, I certainly have an odd sense of humor. I'm not too bent about it. Just a little on edge here recently...

If you know what I mean.

So long as it's all in fun, it's not a problem.
Posted on: 2008/10/30 20:18

KPotter Re: Just sitting and thinkin'....
Elite Guru
Cuyahoga Falls OH
1072 Posts

Hey Dale, come over to my side of town. Mongoose has a sharp black C6 for sale. I haven't stopped by to see what they want for it.
Posted on: 2008/10/30 22:02

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Quote:

KPotter wrote:
Hey Dale, come over to my side of town. Mongoose has a sharp black C6 for sale. I haven't stopped by to see what they want for it.

Mongoose? Not sure who that is? Sitts?

Doesn't matter though. C6 is way more than I'd want to, or could, put in a toy. I could go C5 since my C4 is now essentially a down payment.
Posted on: 2008/10/30 22:16

pr0zac Re: Just sitting and thinkin'....
Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

if i were to do it again i would have bought a c5 i think.
Posted on: 2008/10/30 22:18

Elite Guru
eastern NC / e-i-e-i-o
1909 Posts

Quote:

CSS996 wrote:

Well, ANY kind of humor has to be better than some stuff makin' the boards here of late...

BUT, funny that you should mention the questionable humour...

The NC local news had a story tonight about bogus social network site pages, and makin' sweet little innocent impressionable [Susie] commit suicide.

Of course, it had nothin' to do with a broken home, and momma' bein' a floozy, and not raisin' her own child nuh uh.

So to be clear, DaleD, IT WAS A JOKE! DO NOT CALL KEVORKIAN!

(can I have yer car if you do tho'?)
Posted on: 2008/10/30 22:47

Resized Image

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Bogus has a social network page? I guess I can't really blame Susie.
Posted on: 2008/10/30 23:09

KPotter Re: Just sitting and thinkin'....
Elite Guru
Cuyahoga Falls OH
1072 Posts

Dale,
Mongoose Motorsports - www.mongoosems.com they are on Main between Broad Blvd and Howe Av.
Posted on: 2008/10/30 23:22

bobges Re: Just sitting and thinkin'....
Senior Guru
Bushkill PA
254 Posts

I maned up to by my vette so every time it breaks down i get hit from every angle, wife will pay good money to get a video of me pushing it down Rt 209 to get to a gas station, lucky it was close. I still go for it. I can't look back and say i should of. Its easy for me to except i screwed up
Posted on: 2008/10/31 0:06

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Quote:

KPotter wrote:
Dale,
Mongoose Motorsports - www.mongoosems.com they are on Main between Broad Blvd and Howe Av.

Oh... didn't know it was there. I know the area well. Grew up on 3rd Street.
Posted on: 2008/10/31 1:16

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Quote:

Blade_1 wrote:
So to be clear, DaleD, IT WAS A JOKE! DO NOT CALL KEVORKIAN!

(can I have yer car if you do tho'?)

You posted just in time. I just found his number, and he's finally out of jail!

You can have my car now for the right price! :thumbright:
Posted on: 2008/10/31 1:21

TommyT-Bone Re: Just sitting and thinkin'....
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33805 Posts

Quote:

bobges wrote:
I maned up to by my vette so every time it breaks down i get hit from every angle, wife will pay good money to get a video of me pushing it down Rt 209 to get to a gas station, lucky it was close. I still go for it. I can't look back and say i should of. Its easy for me to except i screwed up

Do you live near pappyfreebird by any chance?
Posted on: 2008/10/31 2:09

TommyT-Bone Re: Just sitting and thinkin'....
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33805 Posts

Anyway,

I was just sitting and thinking ...........

Attach file:

jpg  Sitting and thinking.jpg (31.21 KB)
852_490a6bbf65706.jpg 480X360 px
Posted on: 2008/10/31 2:22

Elite Guru
eastern NC / e-i-e-i-o
1909 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
Anyway,

I was just sitting and thinking ...........

Holy COW!!!

SITTING, and thinking!!!

I thought it said something ELSE Resized Image

Resized Image
Posted on: 2008/10/31 2:27

Resized Image

bogus Re: Just sitting and thinkin'....
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Dale - I am glad you are thinking in this direction. It does sound so very familier...

I have a different suggestion, tho... Can you say "LS1"?
Posted on: 2008/11/1 1:27

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

BillH Re: Just sitting and thinkin'....
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

DaleD wrote:

I might have gotten a bad one. Or at least a car that was dogged harder than it appeared. I know I had some impatience, but I did take steps to check myself, I still got a bad deal. It happens.
Yes, I do want to take longer trips. There are lots of places to go that would be great to just jump in the car with the wife and go. I don't trust the 87 on a trip. Small trips, sure, but over 100 miles? Nope.

When I boght my C4, I somehow curbed my impatience. I looked at 30+ cars, most local, 2- 150 mile shopping trips.
On the second one, I finally found a good one, '92 Black Rose, 64k mi. in a heated garage with receipts for $2,200 clutch & flywheel, new antenna motor, new shocks.
I paid $12k for it 4 years ago. 4 years to date (20k more miles) - one MSD and one alternator. I've done 1,000 mile trips. My only point is that there's some real good ones out there.

If it was me, I'd find another "good one" for $11k and have 2 Vettes in the garage. But that's just me.

Hope you can get what you want.

If you go for a C5,aaaaaaaaaaaa Be Patient.
Posted on: 2008/11/1 13:34

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.