Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
289 user(s) are online (261 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

TommyT-Bone Let's Talk Cell Phones
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

The main feature we need is ptt. Push to talk. Who has it and how is the service? We now have Nextel/Sprint and they have been getting worse and worse with dropped calls etc. So I'm shopping for a new company. Any good tips are appreciated. Thanks.

Tommy T.
Posted on: 2008/12/22 23:53
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

pr0zac Re: Let's Talk Cellphones
Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

no.. sprint sucks.. nextel isn't bad but but the ptt thing is overrated cause its just as easy to have a walkie talkie. the nextel phones suck and are way over priced and the hybrids are worse cause the phone works off the sprint network and the ptt works off the nextel. so you would have one or the other or both or none. went to verizon and can't complain.
Posted on: 2008/12/23 0:01

TommyT-Bone Re: Let's Talk Cellphones
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

We have had Nextel PTT for many years now and have found it useful for cross communication between other landscapers, contractors or my wife and myself for those quickie conversations or on the road calls. It's just that since they joined with Sprint the overall performance and service have been the suck. They used to be great. I'd like to find out who is great now. This is an option we use almost hourly and we have a line of other users looking to jump ship with us if we can find something better.
Posted on: 2008/12/23 0:18

bogus Re: Let's Talk Cellphones
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

We have at&t and haven't had issues. They offer PTT, too... but I don't know the service quality.
Posted on: 2008/12/23 0:53

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

cuisinartvette Re: Let's Talk Cellphones
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

What is PTT?

Tmobile here good luck for may years.
Posted on: 2008/12/23 0:59

TommyT-Bone Re: Let's Talk Cellphones
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

PTT, push to talk. Like a walkie talkie.
Posted on: 2008/12/23 1:33

red_johnny Re: Let's Talk Cellphones
On Sabbatical
Augusta, GA (85 383 stroker)
3213 Posts

I cant speak on the PTT but I do know that sprint used to screw us over on our phone bills EVERY month. We had to go to the store every month and do the ritual complain ceremony. We now have verison and are very happy. We watch our bills like a hawk and the only complaint I have is my wife going over her mins from time to time. She still does it even AFTER I upped our mins! I think I am due for a new free phone this month....might have to check it out.
Posted on: 2008/12/23 2:02

pianoguy Re: Let's Talk Cellphones
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Resized Image

Never mind....I need to clean my glasses. I thought you said, 'Let's talk Calphalons'.
Posted on: 2008/12/23 2:48

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Matatk Re: Let's Talk Cellphones
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

I used to have nextel, and the PTT is good....when it works. My phone always dropped service and it was expensive. Went to AT&T and I'm happy with the service area, but their customer service and contracts are crappy. Phones are ridiculous expensive. I've heard good things about verizon, id consider switching to them.

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/12/23 13:46

brut Re: Let's Talk Cell Phones
Guru Emeritus
New Albany, IN
1308 Posts

Well, I was gonna say that I love my Blackberry Curve, but the mouse ball just broke 5 minutes ago and now I can't find a way to scroll. You would think they would have aback-up function in case something like this happens.

As far as service, I don't use PTT either, but I use AT&T(old cingular and Bellsouth). We have used them for 12+ years. Seem to be getting better.
Posted on: 2008/12/23 14:51
'02 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic
'07 Hummer H3

bastet44 Re: Let's Talk Cell Phones
Webmaster
San Pedro, CA
1389 Posts

I've only had Nextel PTT - and found it to be hit or miss. What I did like was that it had both DirectConnect and DirectTalk.

I love Calphalon!

Re Blackberry - I don't know about the Curve, but on my old one, in addition to the center mouse ball, you could use the trackwheel on the side or the up/down buttons on the front to scroll.
Posted on: 2008/12/23 18:09

cuisinartvette Re: Let's Talk Cell Phones
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

[QUOTE] do know that sprint used to screw us over on our phone bills EVERY month.[/QUOTE]

Still? I had them many years ago and every single month they pulled that crap they are notorious for it. AT&T wasnt bad but not much better.

Bought an unlimited plan, its usually the same every month no having to check.
Posted on: 2008/12/23 18:17

CentralCoaster Re: Let's Talk Cell Phones
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

brut wrote:
Well, I was gonna say that I love my Blackberry Curve, but the mouse ball just broke 5 minutes ago and now I can't find a way to scroll.

Mine jams all the time, it gets dirt in it just like a mouse ball.

Try pushing down on it firmly while moving it around a bunch. This always frees mine up.

My experience with multiple phones, is T-mobile has decent sound quality, but poor coverage. I can't even get service sometimes in the top floor of my concrete office building in the middle of suburban San Diego. Probably the same reason it drops calls so much.

AT&T has great coverage, but worse sound quality. It's as if they use more compression so they can get by with a weaker signal strength.

We used to have Nextel at work, the PTT was very useful on job sites, but the phones sucked at that time, and were expensive. Although I did submerge mine completely under water and it still worked after drying it out!

I haven't used Verizon in 6 years. I cancelled them out of spite because they were screwing me and trying to extend my contract.
Posted on: 2008/12/23 18:44

bastet44 Re: Let's Talk Cell Phones
Webmaster
San Pedro, CA
1389 Posts

Driving cross country, Andy had Cingular, and I had AT&T (before they merged), and Sprint/Nextel for my work phone. Cingular, by far, had the best coverage.

So, when AT&T and Cingular merged, I figure they'd have the best coverage out there.
Posted on: 2008/12/23 20:20

bogus Re: Let's Talk Cell Phones
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Agreed... on the move, we were stranded in the middle of AZ... I had 4 bars, she had nothing on either phone...

It was sold on Cingular from then on.
Posted on: 2008/12/23 20:37

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

brut Re: Let's Talk Cell Phones
Guru Emeritus
New Albany, IN
1308 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:

Mine jams all the time, it gets dirt in it just like a mouse ball.

Try pushing down on it firmly while moving it around a bunch. This always frees mine up.

I went to the Blackberry Forums before I read your response and they said the same thing...sure enough it worked!! Thanks!
Posted on: 2008/12/23 21:03
'02 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic
'07 Hummer H3

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.