Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
259 user(s) are online (206 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Backspacing
A wheel dimension measured from the hub mounting surface to the inner sidewall of the tire, usually measured in Inches. It determines how much tire ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Matatk Monday Chat 02.16.09
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

Good Morning CGs!

Happy Monday (didn't we just have one of these about a week ago?).

Got an early start yesterday and went to the in-laws to prime their basement. Worked for about 3 hours and got all of the walls in the basement and lower staircase done. BIL was supposed to help after that but he was tired (late night partying) and wasn't in the mood. Neither was FIL, so we quit for the day and went shopping for tile. I found some on sale that I liked and will match the color scheme well, they found zip. Oh well. Hopefully we can get started on the tile and drop ceiling next week after the tapers are done.

Baby is finally over her flu, but now my wife has it pretty bad. I feel bad for her because I know she's hurtin. I got it a little bit, but mine's just a little cough and body ache, nothing that will keep me from moving around or going to work. She's basically laid on the couch all day yesterday feeling miserable.

How's everyone else feeling?

Hope everyone has a great day!

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/2/16 12:35

Epimax Re: Monday Chat 02.16.09
Elite Guru
Wilmington, NC
1814 Posts

Good Morning!
Yep, Happy Monday....again!
Glad to hear the baby's doing good! Hope the wife and you get feeling better too.
Worked on the vette a little this weekend, and started building another section of fence. Whoopie! Built a swing for the baby last weekend, and she just can't get enough of that! Thinking about expanding it so I can get on there and swing with her! Looks like fun!

Oh yeah, wife was Not amused with the mop/broom combo, nor the 'how to be a good wife guide'..
Wonder where I went wrong?!! She did; however, like the 26 freaking roses!! Imagine that....One rose for every year together...(this is getting expensive!)

Hope everybody has a good day/week!
Posted on: 2009/2/16 12:43
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

pianoguy Re: Monday Chat 02.16.09
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Greetings, Gurus! I am in the best mood for a Monday that I've been in for ages. Supposed to be dry and low 30's, light traffic due to gubbermint holiday (though there are still morons a-plenty on the freeway), so I decided to drive the Vette to work. I'd forgotten what a lift that is, made the commute almost painless.

Jeez, Matthew, you've got basement mania in your family! Careful when you do your tiling - I did a lot of it, and I think that led to me getting a bum disc in my back and needing physical therapy. That kind stuff is tough on pencil-pushers. Do you you have a humidifier? My wife heard they are one of your best defenses against the flu, as the virus apparently thrives in dry winter air. I'm real happy with my Honeywell TrueSteam unit so far.

The countdown begins - one week from today we'll be laying on a beach in Mazatlan.

Have a great day, all!
Posted on: 2009/2/16 13:20

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

The good news about the roses is that apparently after almost 33 years, you can get by without any ;-)
Posted on: 2009/2/16 13:37

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

biggrizzly Re: Monday Chat 02.16.09
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Good Mornin'

It's so nice to have off work today. I spent the past two days in a Piloting and Navigation class which was a hoot. I have never done that sort of thing before like shooting bearings and plotting courses. It was pretty therapeutic after working at a computer for what seems like the past hundred years. GPS is great but getting out and using a real compass or sighting device and using instruments and pencils to plot on the chart is hands down more fun than plotting a course on a computer....

Matt, glad the baby is feeling better. This flu went through my sister's whole clan, and started back through before they got it under control. Tell the wife to take good care of herself and get some rest.

I took the Vette out again yesterday. It was nice and sunny here. I had a little fun with a RT Challenger Hemi. I was very impressed, as I worked my ass off to overtake him. I didn't think he was going to gas it off the line, so I took off normally from the light and he slammed it getting several car lengths in front of me. I then put the hammer down and blew past him, but then he started gaining again until we both backed down around 95mph. However I was afraid wasn't going to catch him. What kind of power are those cars putting out? I need to get my gears and TQ installed soon!!

Anyow have a nice Prez Day
Posted on: 2009/2/16 13:38

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

The R/T puts out 375hp, but weighs over 4,000 lbs. The SRT8 puts out 425hp.
Posted on: 2009/2/16 13:50

biggrizzly Re: Monday Chat 02.16.09
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Whatever it had, it was stronger than I thought it would be.
Posted on: 2009/2/16 14:02

TommyT-Bone Re: Monday Chat 02.16.09
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33774 Posts

Hope that everybody that feels lousy gets to feeling better.
My wife , being in the plant business, told me don't buy her any plants as gifts. She's around them all freakin day. Lucky me. I usually just take her shopping for whatever the occasion and go to a restaurant. That gets me off the hook.
Epimax1, I've had impulses to start swinging too, but my wife isn't too fond of the idea. I guess the swingset would take up too much room in the yard. Then I'd have to build a doghouse to go along with it. We bought my inlaws a housewarming gift for the new palace they're finishing. Got them a BBQ island. Pretty nice actually. It's friggin huge and took 6 of us to get it on the patio. Comes with searers, main grill, two burners for pots, a warming drawer, a metal canopy with lighting and a built in mini-fridge. The only other things you need is a digital TV/Radio suspended from the canopy, a 5 gallon bucket with a toilet seat on top, and a nice comfotable chair and you won't have to leave the grill.
It's so great to be retired. Gives me so much time to work around here. Plenty of work around here. A full time jobs' worth of work around here. ............ Later
Posted on: 2009/2/16 14:25

BrianCunningham Re: Monday Chat 02.16.09
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Looking forward to heading into work tomorrow
Posted on: 2009/2/16 15:05

Elite Guru
Wilmington, NC
1814 Posts

Quote:

pianoguy wrote:
The good news about the roses is that apparently after almost 33 years, you can get by without any ;-)

That IS good news!!
Posted on: 2009/2/16 15:10

joeld Re: Monday Chat 02.16.09
Guru
Lawrenceville Ga
718 Posts

Good morning! I had a good week-end, mostly because my grandaughter was here, strange how 40lbs of smiles and laughter can make everthing seem OK.
Gotta go pick up the two vaccum switches from the dealer for my Firebird and put it back together today. It's been over a week since I ordered them, mabey they're here. Seems like lately everthing I work on, some part has to be ordered. But that's how it is with all these "old" cars I've got sitting around.

Have a good day
Joel
Posted on: 2009/2/16 15:13

Elite Guru
Wilmington, NC
1814 Posts

[quote]
TommyT-Bone wrote:
Epimax1, I've had impulses to start swinging too, but my wife isn't too fond of the idea. I guess the swingset would take up too much room in the yard. Then I'd have to build a doghouse to go along with it.

Man, it's good to have you back!
David
Posted on: 2009/2/16 15:13

Schrade Re: Monday Chat 02.16.09
Elite Guru
eastern NC / e-i-e-i-o
1909 Posts

Ahoy mates!

I took a ride to town today for a change.

Saw this guy at a light; been there, did that (yellow circle).

Green's okay, but the silver chrome stickeys letters ain't fer me. Most folks know what kind of car it is. If they don't, they STILL don't.

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
Hope that everybody that feels lousy gets to feeling better.
My wife , being in the plant business, told me don't buy her any plants as gifts. She's around them all freakin day. Lucky me.

My home is an arboretum. Plants EVERYWHERE. Gave 'em all away one winter I was in the wheelchair ('06), and I could tell every day at wake-up time (crack of noon), there were no plants in the house. YUK.

Attach file:

jpg  hpim1047.jpg (190.84 KB)
1687_4999dae6a248c.jpg 1150X863 px
Posted on: 2009/2/16 21:32

Resized Image

CentralCoaster Re: Monday Chat 02.16.09
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

Epimax1 wrote:

Wonder where I went wrong?!! She did; however, like the 26 freaking roses!! Imagine that....One rose for every year together...(this is getting expensive!)

To hell with roses. 50 rounds at the shooting range is cheaper, (assuming you're on good terms!)

Attach file:

jpg  mickishooting 001a.jpg (46.30 KB)
793_4999dc3daba9a.jpg 490X653 px
Posted on: 2009/2/16 21:36

Schrade Re: Monday Chat 02.16.09
Elite Guru
eastern NC / e-i-e-i-o
1909 Posts

Them dang Floridians burn me up with their plants uh huh.

I struggle to keep codiaeum alive up here (gotta' be 60'+), and they got 'em growin' OUTSIDE, 4 feet tall, next to the gas pump, full of cigarette butts!!!

Piss ON 'em!

Resized Image
Posted on: 2009/2/16 21:45

Resized Image

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33774 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
To hell with roses. 50 rounds at the shooting range is cheaper, (assuming you're on good terms!)

I guess you could say your getting more bang for your buck.
Posted on: 2009/2/16 22:01

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Har har. You're right on target.
Posted on: 2009/2/16 22:18

red_johnny Re: Monday Chat 02.16.09
On Sabbatical
Augusta, GA (85 383 stroker)
3213 Posts

Welp, room 3 is now ripped apart. Our entrance way needed redone as when I did the kichen I had to remove some studs and replace them and the wall on the otherside then had a large section of dry wall that was now not connected to anything. So the wall was a bit wobbally and I was going to fix it, just not this soon. Anyway, I was removing some trim by the front door and the prybar went through the wall like nothing! Turns out there was a large section of termite damage there. (pics to follow shortly) so I started to tear out ALL the drywall in that room. About half way done now but on a good note I did finish the living rooms drywall (pics to follow) and last night I wired up the bathroom. All I have to do now for electrical is put up the boxes where they need to be and that part will be done. I dont think I will be doing anything else tonight as I am pretty beat.
Posted on: 2009/2/16 23:12

BrianCunningham Re: Monday Chat 02.16.09
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Well I had a cr@ppy day, and I mean that literally

a toilet got clogged so bad, I needed to go out an buy a toilet auger after the pipe auger proved to be too stiff.

[yes, there's another joke in there somewhere ]

Lesson:
Stop buying cheap toilet paper!
Posted on: 2009/2/16 23:37

Matatk Re: Monday Chat 02.16.09
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

Tommy - a whole BBQ island? I thought I was doing well with my concrete patio. Apparently the plant business is more lucrative than I thought....wait a second, what kind of plants are you growing???

Kevin - how did shooting go? Did she/you enjoy it? What ever happened with your go cart challenger?

Johnny - didn't your mother ever teach you to finish one project before you start another?

Brian - two words: courtesy flush.

Everyone else - hope your day was good!

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/2/17 1:14

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Matak, The kart racing challenge was a no-go. They made some excuse to postpone 2 weeks, and then shrugged it off entirely. I'm not going to hound them about it now, I'd rather save my breath for the next time they try to waste my time.

Plus, there's some other drama at work. It's mildly amusing watching some of these guys behave like children.

We have a mechanical contractor and mechanical engineering firm in the same building under the same ownership, and yet our offices are 60 degrees inside, or 90 degrees inside in some rooms.

This has been an ongoing issue, so my boss has tasked me with cutting through the B.S. and getting the system working properly. But some people would rather point fingers and cover their ass then help me out.

So I get to show up at 6am tomorrow and go on the rooftop in the darkness (and possible rain) to rewire the air conditioners for the building in order to override the system just to get heat. That will buy some time hopefully until I can get the controls manufacturer involved.
Posted on: 2009/2/17 2:29

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33774 Posts

Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:
Well I had a cr@ppy day, and I mean that literally

a toilet got clogged so bad, I needed to go out an buy a toilet auger after the pipe auger proved to be too stiff.

[yes, there's another joke in there somewhere ]

Lesson:
Stop buying cheap toilet paper!

Who gives a shit ............ (joke)
Posted on: 2009/2/17 2:30

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.