Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
227 user(s) are online (193 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  TPI
Tuned Port Injection. A method of fuel injection, used on the early C4 Corvette L98 motor, (1985-1991). ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

PeteK It's killing me!
Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Now that we are well into the off season, I have been bombarded with trans, and torque converter inquires. As some of you know, I took a job in corperate america, and do not have any time to build transmissions or make converter sales. It is a shame, as I really enjoyed doing it. I almost feel like I sold my soul for a steady paycheck and benefits.
What's killing me is to say no. Now that I sit behind a deck, and pack on pounds, I have no time to do what I really enjoyed doing.
As soon as things smooth out, I am going to try to get back into it somehow. Even if it is just converter sales.
For all those with tech questions, I am always happy to help. For those with purchase inquiries, I will still be happy to refer you guys to quality people.
Posted on: 2007/12/30 17:22
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

brut RE:It's killing me!
Guru Emeritus
New Albany, IN
1308 Posts

I feel the pain bro! I don' think anyone will blame you, as long as you can stick around and answer our transmission tech questions!
Posted on: 2007/12/30 18:01

SpectatorRacing RE:It's killing me!
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Now I wish I had a tranny question for you...

I'm in corporate america, but it's automotive and technical, so I can deal. And more importantly it supports my racing crack addiction.
Posted on: 2007/12/30 18:02

j3studio RE:It's killing me!
Elite Guru
Western Philadelphia Burbs
4247 Posts

Of all the reasons to sell your soul a steady paycheck and benefits is one of the best. We're just happy to have you around ...

Posted on: 2007/12/30 18:04

cuisinartvette RE:It's killing me!
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Nothing like doing what you enjoy but if the desk job pays the bills keep it. Ive been getting more inquiires on porting, thank God as its all I have going on. Pays the smaller bills but not the big ones...Yet.
Id give my eye teeth to have some steady employment going, its been almost 6 mos. If it werent for credit Id me on the street by the first of the year.

hang in there Pete..
Posted on: 2007/12/30 18:06

PeteK RE:It's killing me!
Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

I hope you guys do not think I am complaining. I love the new job, benefits and fringe benefits. It's all good.
In 06, my floor covering job earned me a whopping 15k, before taxes. The new job can right at the time I was about to go belly up.
I was lucky to earn $500 a month doing trans projects. Money came in handy, but keeping me busy doing something I enjoyed was worth more to me. I have worked with my hands all my adult life, and it feels so strange to not have my hands dirty.
Even as a tech inspector, they want me to explain the procedure, give a sample demo, then let them figure it out for themselves.
Things are good, but soooooo different.
Posted on: 2007/12/30 18:15

dan0617 RE:It's killing me!
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

Quote:
I hope you guys do not think I am complaining. I love the new job, benefits and fringe benefits. It's all good.
In 06, my floor covering job earned me a whopping 15k, before taxes. The new job can right at the time I was about to go belly up.
I was lucky to earn $500 a month doing trans projects. Money came in handy, but keeping me busy doing something I enjoyed was worth more to me. I have worked with my hands all my adult life, and it feels so strange to not have my hands dirty.
Even as a tech inspector, they want me to explain the procedure, give a sample demo, then let them figure it out for themselves.
Things are good, but soooooo different.

Hi Pete!! You just helped me with the governor question yesterday. I ordered one, could only find it at www.buy-oem-parts.com, but the price you gave me was the price they charged me for shipping and all!!! Thanks so much for your help and I'll let you know how it works.
Posted on: 2007/12/30 19:17

bogus RE:It's killing me!
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Hey Pete, have you thought about writing down what you know? That way you can teach folks how to do it themselves. Explain the strengths and weaknesses. The best part, no schedule and you can do it in your free time.
Posted on: 2007/12/30 19:22

Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Quote:
Hey Pete, have you thought about writing down what you know? That way you can teach folks how to do it themselves. Explain the strengths and weaknesses. The best part, no schedule and you can do it in your free time.

I sure can.
I made 7 or 8 tech tips here about a year ago that had some good info, but I can certainly add to it.
Posted on: 2007/12/30 22:43

BrianCunningham RE:It's killing me!
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Pete,

How's it going, welcome to NE

If you need any help finding local shops to help you out.

Feel free to sing out.
Posted on: 2007/12/30 23:10

Ramrod RE:It's killing me!
Senior Guru
S. California
296 Posts

I did something similar a few years ago, transitioning from having something to show at the end of the day to nothing in hand. You'll find your affecting more people and hence getting more done at the end of the day. I have a 96 with about 120,000 mi, what should I be doing to make it last longer, or how much longer can I expect it to go. Can I shift it on the track?
Posted on: 2007/12/30 23:10

Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Quote:
I did something similar a few years ago, transitioning from having something to show at the end of the day to nothing in hand. You'll find your affecting more people and hence getting more done at the end of the day. I have a 96 with about 120,000 mi, what should I be doing to make it last longer, or how much longer can I expect it to go. Can I shift it on the track?

Thanks Brian

Shifting it at the track is fine. I have never really seen ill effects from manual upshifting. Manual downshifting is a different story.
With 120k, the best advice I can give is to keep it cool, and avoid power flushing the trans. Dropping the pan, and changing the filter and fluid the old fashioned way stirs up the least debris.
My oem trans made it 235k. Most do NOT go near this long.
Posted on: 2007/12/30 23:18

SpeedHound RE:It's killing me!
Registered Vendor
Social Circle, GA
119 Posts

With your rep Pete, just offer to make converter sales on your time. If people understand that this isn't your day job but you can offer good tech support and good prices, I see no reason people wouldn't come to you for their converter. So it may take a day or two longer to complete the transaction. Good parts, service, and prices are worth the wait.

Also, in case you didn't know, paypal has a virtual terminal so you can take credit cards at anytime so long as you're connected to the internet. monthly cost and percentage rates are good. I use it.
Posted on: 2007/12/30 23:25

www.speedhound.com

LSx swap parts - performance - repairs - restoration

C4DERF RE:It's killing me!
Senior Guru
Home of the Masters; well Grovetown is close
332 Posts

PeteK,

I am glad to see you on the C4guru site! I have followed a lot of your postings on CF and happy that most of the C4 wizards are on this site! Never regret getting a job/position that benifits you and your family. Have a safe and Happy New Year, BTW that goes for everyone.
Posted on: 2007/12/30 23:27

[IMG]http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s150/c4derf/CasualCorvettes-SonicAug07011.jpg[/IMG]

Shadow RE:It's killing me!
Senior Guru
271 Posts

Pete, from someone who left Government service to pursue the entreprenurial dream, I can attest that there are times when the security of corporate or government America has an advantage

Congrats on the gig and wish you well.

kepp making tech notes and articles and do what you love for a hobby again
Posted on: 2007/12/30 23:28

The CF Artist fka: STREETKNIGHT..R.I.P.

www.CorvetteFlorida.com

www.CorvetteInternational.com

JDSWHITE93 RE:It's killing me!
Senior Guru
Ohio
334 Posts

Good to see the trans guru came over here as well. I still owe you a beer or six.
Posted on: 2007/12/31 2:23

Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Quote:
Good to see the trans guru came over here as well. I still owe you a beer or six.

I was in Phoenix Az 10 days ago, ad met up with a trans customer. We also had a beer or 6 :thumbleft:
If work brings me to Cleveland, we are boozin!
Posted on: 2007/12/31 3:24

CentralCoaster RE:It's killing me!
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I know how you feel. I've got a guy trying to pay me $50/hr cash in my spare time for easy work, but I don't have any!

Maybe some day when you're old and crippled you'll have some time, but your fingers won't bend at the knuckles.
Posted on: 2007/12/31 6:27

joeld RE:It's killing me!
Guru
Lawrenceville Ga
718 Posts

Hello Pete, I have not had any trans. questions for you but I do enjoy reading ANYTHING you post on. Hope you can find a happy medium between job (paying the bills) and your passion for hands on working. Don't stop with all this good advice, as I am sure my day is coming.

Joel
Posted on: 2008/1/1 18:57

Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Quote:
Hello Pete, I have not had any trans. questions for you but I do enjoy reading ANYTHING you post on. Hope you can find a happy medium between job (paying the bills) and your passion for hands on working. Don't stop with all this good advice, as I am sure my day is coming.

Joel

Joel,
As long as I have time to log on, and post a reply, advise will never end. It is possible I may never build another transmission for someone other than myself,but I hope that does not turn out to be the case.
It is a shame, because I started to aquire a pretty good slew of test cars that were running my stuff, and providing tech info.
Just about the time I started to have a really good feel for what works, and what doesn't, it was time to hang up the wrenches.
Who knows, maybe I will flunk my 90 day review, and jump right back into the trans builds.
Posted on: 2008/1/1 22:58

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.