Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
181 user(s) are online (170 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

JonnyAngle BBK intake?
Senior Guru
Minneapolis, MN
151 Posts

Anyone tried out the new BBK intake? I don't think the price seems THAT out of line when ou look at the cost of some of the other intakes. Does the stock fuel rail and FPR work with it? Is it even worth checking out?
Posted on: 2009/5/4 21:50

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Matatk Re: BBK intake?
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

It's been coming out for the last 3 years. Is it finally available for real, as in there are units sitting on a shelf and ready to be shipped? I think everyone lost faith, too, since the price doubled over the waiting period.

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/5/4 23:12

CentralCoaster Re: BBK intake?
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Yeah how much does this $400 intake cost now?
Posted on: 2009/5/5 1:28

Matatk Re: BBK intake?
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Last price I saw was around $700, but the site lists "0" now.

http://www.bbkperformance.com/product ... -tpi-intake-manifold.html

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/5/5 1:55

JonnyAngle Re: BBK intake?
Senior Guru
Minneapolis, MN
151 Posts

Posted on: 2009/5/5 3:24

C4FUN Re: BBK intake?
Guru Newb
Lost in San Diego
31 Posts

Here's BBK's # (951) 296-1771 in Temecula. We should get everyone from all of the forums with years long BBK intake threads to call up and clog their lines with the same question, "Is it ready yet?".
Posted on: 2009/5/5 3:29

vetteoz Re: BBK intake?
Senior Guru
453 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
It's been coming out for the last 3 years. Is it finally available for real, as in there are units sitting on a shelf and ready to be shipped?

Try five years
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/tpi ... bbk-tpi-intake-setup.html
And Summit are still listing Estimated Ship Date: 5/26/09

A rep from BBK has been posting on the 3rd Gen site justifing why a new intake has such a long "development" time
Posted on: 2009/5/5 4:54

85L98-84L83 Re: BBK intake?
Guru Newb
113 Posts

What makes this intake system so special? Does it produce more power than a superram? It says 50 hp 50 lb/ft of torque, is that more than a superram? How much does it flow per runner?
Posted on: 2009/5/6 4:32

CentralCoaster Re: BBK intake?
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Well, it obviously was a pet project of a worker there, and took a backseat to everything else. This is to be expected, I mean... the fact that an aftermarket TPI part in this day and age got the okay in the first place is cool.

But they would have been MUCH better off keeping quiet about it until it was further along, and until there was some sort of timetable for it to be finished.

Anyhow, they posted some dyno curves which I ran through my simulator, and while it didn't put up big gains on the simulated drag strip, it appears to be a nice setup for a street car. The problem with it in my drag strip simulator, is this intake makes decent power past 4500 rpm, but still not enough to justify moving the shift points up substantially. On the street though, who cares, it still should make more power at every rpm than the TPI, and give you a very long powerband.

That 50/50 number quoted is probably at an RPM past the TPI's usable power. I don't think that was peak numbers, but I might be mistaken, it's been awhile since I checked it out.
Posted on: 2009/5/6 4:55

anesthes Re: BBK intake?
Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Quote:

C4FUN wrote:
Here's BBK's # (951) 296-1771 in Temecula. We should get everyone from all of the forums with years long BBK intake threads to call up and clog their lines with the same question, "Is it ready yet?".

Considering that C4 owners are probably about 2% of their market, and maybe f-body owners another 2.5% I'm not sure what the complaint would be.

I'd be shocked if they even make a profit off this product.

-- Joe
Posted on: 2009/5/6 16:31

C4FUN Re: BBK intake?
Guru Newb
Lost in San Diego
31 Posts

"Considering that C4 owners are probably about 2% of their market, and maybe f-body owners another 2.5% I'm not sure what the complaint would be."

I'm sure you're right, but young guys are still buying f-bodies and Fox bodies (sacrilege) and modifying them, that's a part of BBK's target market. They're cheap to get your foot in the door.

"But they would have been MUCH better off keeping quiet about it until it was further along, and until there was some sort of timetable for it to be finished."

CentralCoaster, you hit the nail on the head. There's nothing wrong with feeling out the market, but by putting reps in enthusiast forums and revealing a relatively low target price point prematurely while leading people to believe it's release was always just around the corner, they set themselves up for the criticism that they're receiving. I waited, and waited,.... and finally bought a Superram a few months ago. It's sitting on the table where my ex-wife's fern used to live (I guess they need water). As soon as I get my next smog cert in a few months, it's going on with a cam. BBK could have had my money. Ford engineered and put the Model A into production faster than BBK built this intake and without Autocad, Solidworks or a single CNC.
Posted on: 2009/5/6 18:03

85L98-84L83 Re: BBK intake?
Guru Newb
113 Posts

What would be better on an 85 vette this bbk thing or a superram?
Posted on: 2009/5/9 1:54

BeachBum Re: BBK intake?
Master Guru
751 Posts

Quote:

85L98-84L83 wrote:
What would be better on an 85 vette this bbk thing or a superram?

A Superram with a 350 cammed with something like a 224/224 hyd roller cam with mid .500 lift and a decent set of cylinder heads will make 400-425 HP at around 5400-5500 rpm and a lot of torque in the area of 450 ftlbs @ approxmiately 4000 rpm. Shift points are typically right in front of 6000 rpm. A 383 is more along the lines of 430-450 HP and very close to 500 ftlbs down around 4000 rpm. For a street car with a hyd roller cam, that is very stout performance, yet driveability is almost un-compromised. This is why I have always liked this intake. On the Dyno, it makes big torque but is fairly un-impressive in the HP category..... but it et's well on the strip.

A well optimized SR 350 will et in the mid to high 11's, whereas the 383 in the low to mid 11's at C4 type racing weights of 3200-3400 lbs. It takes a quality converter and sticky tires to do that, but will do it with just about any gear you happen to have.

On the BBK, I really do not know anything about it aside from a picture I saw a while ago that it in general looked like a Superram with rounded edges.... I think it has potential from the picture alone, but somebody needs to pony-up and give it a try I guess.... then we'll know.
Posted on: 2009/5/9 3:50

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.