Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
321 user(s) are online (303 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  New Hampshire Motor Speedway
This is the new name for New Hampshire International Speedway.

Also known as NHMS....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Curtis1974 Steeroid rack and pinion set-up
Elite Guru
Bolingbrook, IL
1070 Posts

I'm considering getting a steeroid set-up for my C3. The stock set-up is just way too sloppy. I need to do a front end rebuild and replace the bushings so I thought I might as well go all out. Question, has anyone here attempted this modification and what did you think of it in terms of the installation and performance?
Posted on: 2010/1/8 17:57
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Durango_Boy Re: Steeroid rack and pinion set-up
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Since I'll be helping with this one I would like to hear from people who have done it too.
Posted on: 2010/1/8 20:40

Curtis1974 Re: Steeroid rack and pinion set-up
Elite Guru
Bolingbrook, IL
1070 Posts

Quote:

Durango_Boy wrote:
Since I'll be helping with this one I would like to hear from people who have done it too.

Yea, just trying to get an idea of what we are getting into.
Posted on: 2010/1/8 20:58

Jeffvette Re: Steeroid rack and pinion set-up
Elite Guru
Not on CF
1297 Posts

I have not installed one, but a guy in my local club did. he said it was not all that hard at all.

I must driving his car now is great. he uses it as his daily driver. He has also done the coilover conversion as well on it.

I'll see if I can get some more details from him.
Posted on: 2010/1/8 21:03

Elite Guru
Bolingbrook, IL
1070 Posts

Quote:

Jeffvette wrote:
I have not installed one, but a guy in my local club did. he said it was not all that hard at all.

I must driving his car now is great. he uses it as his daily driver. He has also done the coilover conversion as well on it.

I'll see if I can get some more details from him.

Thanks Jeff!
Posted on: 2010/1/8 22:59

Elite Guru
Bolingbrook, IL
1070 Posts

Steeroids ordered and should be here next week!

I need to get a new pump and a couple new front tires as well. I'm going to have the front suspension rebuilt while I'm at it. I've got a serious negative camber which has worn down the inside of the front tires.
Posted on: 2010/2/14 11:08

biggrizzly Re: Steeroid rack and pinion set-up
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

This should be an exciting mod for your C3. I can't wait to see how it turns out. Be sure to post photos to keep us all happy.

I have considered changing my base steering rack to the quicker Z51 rack.
Posted on: 2010/2/14 13:16

pianoguy Re: Steeroid rack and pinion set-up
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Should be way better than new when you're done. Hope to see a pictorial of the install! ;-)
Posted on: 2010/2/14 17:42

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Quote:

pianoguy wrote:
Should be way better than new when you're done. Hope to see a pictorial of the install! ;-)

I was going to take pics of every step, if we do it ourselves, and put together a step by step How To paper on this installation.
Posted on: 2010/2/14 17:54

Elite Guru
Bolingbrook, IL
1070 Posts

Quote:

Durango_Boy wrote:
Quote:

pianoguy wrote:

I was going to take pics of every step, if we do it ourselves, and put together a step by step How To paper on this installation.

DB,

If you want to try and attempt this we can. We'll have to do it in my garage as yours is tied up. I was thinking of letting John do it, but after looking at the install instructions, it doesn't look that bad. I'll have to get the new pump first, but after that we are good to go. If we did it I could certainly save some money but we could also document the install process.
Posted on: 2010/2/14 21:40

tjpreul Re: Steeroid rack and pinion set-up
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

Just install it in DB's car before the motor is back in. I don't think he would mind.
Posted on: 2010/2/14 22:00

'92 auto, MSD, Banski, Taylor wires, SS lines, C5 rims, 3.07 gears, white gauges, seats from a '96.

Motor: Forged rotating assy, Probe pistons, CC valvetrain, AFR heads, Procharger P1SC

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Quote:

tjpreul wrote:
Just install it in DB's car before the motor is back in. I don't think he would mind.

I'm actually very happy with the stock steering. The box is still tight, I like the ratio, and since my suspension is already re-done it handles great.

I don't think it'll be a problem to do it ourselves.
Posted on: 2010/2/14 23:04

Elite Guru
Bolingbrook, IL
1070 Posts

I agree, DB's steering in his '77 is just as tight as mine in my '95.
Posted on: 2010/2/15 5:21

Trae1976 Re: Steeroid rack and pinion set-up
2012 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Johnson City, TN
832 Posts

I've considered it, but always have something else that needs more attention. Other than fixing a small leak or two, my stock system has been pretty good. Maybe when I run out of other things to upgrade ...

I'm looking forward to hearing the reviews.
Posted on: 2010/2/15 13:02

Elite Guru
Bolingbrook, IL
1070 Posts

Got the kit today via Fedx. Very nice set up. Craftsmanship is outstanding. If it works as good as all the components looks, it will be great!
Posted on: 2010/2/18 8:51

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Quote:

Curtis1974 wrote:
Got the kit today via Fedx. Very nice set up. Craftsmanship is outstanding. If it works as good as all the components looks, it will be great!

I was trying to find other Steeroids installs on other forums...no not the one that won't let me in any more...LOL, and I'm sure it's something we can do. I'll have to research as best I can what tools will be needed so I can bring over as much as I can to cut down on extra trips back and forth.
Posted on: 2010/2/18 13:07

Trae1976 Re: Steeroid rack and pinion set-up
2012 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Johnson City, TN
832 Posts

Quote:

Durango_Boy wrote:
I was trying to find other Steeroids installs on other forums...no not the one that won't let me in any more...LOL, and I'm sure it's something we can do. I'll have to research as best I can what tools will be needed so I can bring over as much as I can to cut down on extra trips back and forth.

Looks pretty basic. The Steeroids site has links to a few magazine articles on the install.

Posted on: 2010/2/18 13:25

tjpreul Re: Steeroid rack and pinion set-up
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

Quote:

Durango_Boy wrote:
Quote:

Curtis1974 wrote:

Let me know if you need anything. I have a sledgehammer if all else fails.
Posted on: 2010/2/18 14:30

bogus Re: Steeroid rack and pinion set-up
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

yea, this has been covered in the mags... that's what I would look for.

It looks like a neat kit, but all the little u-joints to get the shaft around the chassis and engine does look a little scary!!! but it has to be better than a worn out worm and sector.
Posted on: 2010/2/18 14:42

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Elite Guru
Bolingbrook, IL
1070 Posts

Quote:

Durango_Boy wrote:
Quote:

Curtis1974 wrote:

I'll email you the installation instructions. I went through it last night and it looks pretty simple.
Posted on: 2010/2/19 0:57

Elite Guru
Bolingbrook, IL
1070 Posts

DB,

How's Saturday for you? I need to switch the Corvettes around in the garage to give us more room on the driver side of the C3. I'll jack it up and get it ready on the jack stands.
Posted on: 2010/2/23 11:05

Matatk Re: Steeroid rack and pinion set-up
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Quote:

Curtis1974 wrote:

How's Saturday for you? I need to switch the Corvettes around in the garage ....

You say that like it's a bad thing

Take lots of pictures!
Posted on: 2010/2/23 14:53

pr0zac Re: Steeroid rack and pinion set-up
Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

Quote:

Curtis1974 wrote:
DB,

How's Saturday for you? I need to switch the Corvettes around in the garage to give us more room on the driver side of the C3. I'll jack it up and get it ready on the jack stands.

i wish i had your problems.. haha
Posted on: 2010/2/23 15:56

Elite Guru
Bolingbrook, IL
1070 Posts

Yeah, I guess that is a good problem to have. I sure didn't mean for it to sound that way.
Posted on: 2010/2/24 0:23

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Quote:

Curtis1974 wrote:
DB,

Should be fine. I'll let you know if something comes up and I can't make it over. I'll probably be in to chat with you in the morning since I'm driving in solo tomorrow.
Posted on: 2010/2/24 1:11

Elite Guru
Bolingbrook, IL
1070 Posts

Quote:

Durango_Boy wrote:
Quote:

Curtis1974 wrote:
DB,

Should be fine. I'll let you know if something comes up and I can't make it over. I'll probably be in to chat with you in the morning since I'm driving in solo tomorrow.

Just stop in my office when you get in in the morning.
Posted on: 2010/2/24 5:31

Try2pas Re: Steeroid rack and pinion set-up
Guru Newb
Thompson Falls, Mt
29 Posts

I put it in my '80 a couple of years ago and like it. The only negative I can see is that my turning radius got larger. And you still have to "drive" the car say on rutted pavement. I would have to drive a non steeroid car now to really see the difference again. But now and initially I liked it and my old system had just been made new but steeroids was an improvement over the old "new" system.
Posted on: 2010/10/1 23:02

bearcat Re: Steeroid rack and pinion set-up
Guru Newb
West Texas
19 Posts

Your turning radius got larger?
Did it get any less quick, or is the steering as quick or quicker?
Also it's still a mess on rutted roads?

How much is a Steeroids unit costing now, by the way?
Posted on: 2012/12/4 0:16
'88 C4 Corvette

bogus Re: Steeroid rack and pinion set-up
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I have noticed, in general, that cars with rack and pinion do not have the turning radius that a car with worm and sector or recirulating ball has...

I think it's a result of reach and the sometime ackerman effect on the others that R&P simply doesn't have... it's direct... some of the steering ratio in the others comes from the length of the pitman arm.
Posted on: 2012/12/4 1:14

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

bearcat Re: Steeroid rack and pinion set-up
Guru Newb
West Texas
19 Posts

Much as I'd love to buy a Steeroids, I'm going to have to do some restoration on my stock system to get me by for now. It's leaky and it's vague. But restoring it would be cheaper than a steeroids for the time being. Just top it off, right? Yeah, well, that worked until the leak got bad enough that I hear it groan after only 20 miles of driving.

It looks like a great set up, but with a 68 Firebird restoration going on right now, I'll have to live with my stock steering before I can justify the cost of the Steeroids. Eventually I will. I've promised myself.
Posted on: 2013/3/10 17:46
'88 C4 Corvette

Matatk Re: Steeroid rack and pinion set-up
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Quote:

bearcat wrote:
Much as I'd love to buy a Steeroids, I'm going to have to do some restoration on my stock system to get me by for now. It's leaky and it's vague. But restoring it would be cheaper than a steeroids for the time being. Just top it off, right? Yeah, well, that worked until the leak got bad enough that I hear it groan after only 20 miles of driving.

I don't know if Turn One does earlier systems, but they have great reviews rebuilding C4 systems.

http://www.turnone-steering.com/services/
Posted on: 2013/3/10 22:22

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Quote:

bearcat wrote:

It looks like a great set up, but with a 68 Firebird restoration going on right now, I'll have to live with my stock steering before I can justify the cost of the Steeroids. Eventually I will. I've promised myself.

Just remember that most 'refurbished' boxes you buy are junk. They aren't set up properly, some don't get any new parts at all, and some don't even come with grease in them.

Bairs.com is a reputable seller of Corvette parts that I highly recommend and I can give you the number of a guy who specializes in rebuilding our C3 steering boxes, rear ends, and trailing arms. He's almost the best human being I know, and he's also the one I have at the top of my list for quality work on these types of parts.
Posted on: 2013/3/11 11:40

BillH Re: Steeroid rack and pinion set-up
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Durango_Boy wrote:

Bairs.com is a reputable seller of Corvette parts that I highly recommend and I can give you the number of a guy who specializes in rebuilding our C3 steering boxes, rear ends, and trailing arms. He's almost the best human being I know, and he's also the one I have at the top of my list for quality work on these types of parts.

Yogi's reputation in the C2-C3 world is huge, he's considered on of the best rebuilders on the U.S.
Posted on: 2013/3/11 13:16

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.