Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
323 user(s) are online (176 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  A4
Generic reference to an automatic equipped C4. All are 4-speed overdrive units....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
Off Topic  >  Leno
 Register To Post

BrianCunningham Leno
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Posted on: 2010/1/11 15:16
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: Leno
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

yea. oops.

Bad idea that simply didn't work. That type of show just doesn't work in prime time.

It's why the old school variety show has passed on to the TV grave yard... not many care, unless you are watching on the country cable channel.
Posted on: 2010/1/11 15:18

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

BillH Re: Leno
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

If I was Leno, I wouldn't care, just go & play with my collection.

Anyone catch his GM EcoJet on Speed yesterday?
Posted on: 2010/1/11 15:22

Sweet90 Re: Leno
Elite Guru
Edmonton, Alberta
1143 Posts

Yes I did, quite the car.

Jim
Posted on: 2010/1/11 16:13

Matatk Re: Leno
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22804 Posts

I like Jay Leno, but he was no Johnny Carson. I also think Conan O'Brien is funnier than he is.

Matthew
Posted on: 2010/1/11 19:41

teebee Re: Leno
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12364 Posts

Matt, you're right about Leno not being Carson...but Conan....I don't care for him at all. I think it has to do with the generation thing, I don't find him funny at all.
Posted on: 2010/1/11 20:22

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

BrianCunningham Re: Leno
Senior Guru
7763 Posts

I get Conan's jokes, I just don't think he's funny.

I've always liked Leno, he's never rude to his guests.
Posted on: 2010/1/11 21:18

jdtireman Re: Leno
Senior Guru
Winnipeg
176 Posts

At least Leno is a certified car guy. He may have more $$ than the Almighty, but he spends it on some way cool cars.
Posted on: 2010/1/12 1:34

-VetteBabe- Re: Leno
Guru Newb
3 Posts

I've seen Jay Leno at a lot of our local car shows. He always treated people well and seems like a nice guy.
Posted on: 2010/1/12 17:30

BrianCunningham Re: Leno
Senior Guru
7763 Posts

Conan just quite

can't blame him

Read on CNN
[quote]People of Earth:

In the last few days, I’ve been getting a lot of sympathy calls, and I want to start by making it clear that no one should waste a second feeling sorry for me. For 17 years, I’ve been getting paid to do what I love most and, in a world with real problems, I’ve been absurdly lucky. That said, I’ve been suddenly put in a very public predicament and my bosses are demanding an immediate decision.

Six years ago, I signed a contract with NBC to take over The Tonight Show in June of 2009. Like a lot of us, I grew up watching Johnny Carson every night and the chance to one day sit in that chair has meant everything to me. I worked long and hard to get that opportunity, passed up far more lucrative offers, and since 2004 I have spent literally hundreds of hours thinking of ways to extend the franchise long into the future. It was my mistaken belief that, like my predecessor, I would have the benefit of some time and, just as important, some degree of ratings support from the prime-time schedule. Building a lasting audience at 11:30 is impossible without both.

But sadly, we were never given that chance. After only seven months, with my Tonight Show in its infancy, NBC has decided to react to their terrible difficulties in prime-time by making a change in their long-established late night schedule.

Last Thursday, NBC executives told me they intended to move the Tonight Show to 12:05 to accommodate the Jay Leno Show at 11:35. For 60 years the Tonight Show has aired immediately following the late local news. I sincerely believe that delaying the Tonight Show into the next day to accommodate another comedy program will seriously damage what I consider to be the greatest franchise in the history of broadcasting. The Tonight Show at 12:05 simply isn’t the Tonight Show. Also, if I accept this move I will be knocking the Late Night show, which I inherited from David Letterman and passed on to Jimmy Fallon, out of its long-held time slot. That would hurt the other NBC franchise that I love, and it would be unfair to Jimmy.

So it has come to this: I cannot express in words how much I enjoy hosting this program and what an enormous personal disappointment it is for me to consider losing it. My staff and I have worked unbelievably hard and we are very proud of our contribution to the legacy of The Tonight Show. But I cannot participate in what I honestly believe is its destruction. Some people will make the argument that with DVRs and the Internet a time slot doesn’t matter. But with the Tonight Show, I believe nothing could matter more.

There has been speculation about my going to another network but, to set the record straight, I currently have no other offer and honestly have no idea what happens next. My hope is that NBC and I can resolve this quickly so that my staff, crew, and I can do a show we can be proud of, for a company that values our work.

Have a great day and, for the record, I am truly sorry about my hair; it’s always been that way.

Yours,

Conan[/QUOTE]
Posted on: 2010/1/12 21:42

TommyT-Bone Re: Leno
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

None of this means much of anything to me. Late Night is way past my bedtime. Jay's a nice enough guy. I just don't find too many things funny anymore. Guess I'd much rather sleep. :sleepy1:
Posted on: 2010/1/12 22:28

CentralCoaster Re: Leno
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Seriously, when do people sleep?

The irony is with Leno on at 10pm, I actually started watching it occassionally. You can turn the Leno show on any day of the week. Most of the other shows on I feel are like walking into a movie halfway through.
Posted on: 2010/1/13 2:25

flyboy Re: Leno
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

NBC blew it bigtime.
Posted on: 2010/1/13 3:04

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I believe Conan would have been a success with NBC had they stood behind him and not tried to fit Leno in there too.

Leno is a great host, but not a great comedian. Conan's comedy style is sort of love-it-or-hate-it and isn't mainstream yet, but the mainstream is transforming quickly from the CNN crowd to the Daily Show crowd.
Posted on: 2010/1/13 3:15

Dads90 Re: Leno
Guru
Pearland, Tx
318 Posts

I thought Leno was hurting the local news ratings, not necessary his own. Rumors were that some local stations just weren't going to show Leno if the network didn't do anything about it.
Posted on: 2010/1/13 5:38

Calm Re: Leno
Senior Guru
Vancouver, Canada
608 Posts

I'm normally reading or sleeping by 10:30 so I'm NO judge of ANY of thier shows.

BUT, over the past 35 yrs watching a little of ALL of them.....I'd rate them as follows:

#1 Carson was CLASS. AND Clever.

#2 Leno was CLASS. A little bit clever.

#3 Conan I never 'got'. NO Class but somewhat clever. BAD writers, I assume.

#4 Who the heck is that other guy? Never heard of him. (but perhaps I'm asleep before he comes on now-a-days.)

However, I'm in my early 50's.....my 22-31 yr old kids don't relate to Carson...ignore Leno.....but LOVE Conan. Go figure.
Posted on: 2010/1/13 6:10

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Yeah, it's definitely a different kind of humor... juvenile, low brow, and more witty. Class isn't funny.
Posted on: 2010/1/13 7:53

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.