Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
334 user(s) are online (280 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  ALDC
Assembly Line Diagnostic Connection

The connection to the ECM/PCM of a computer controlled vehicle, in the case of the C4 Corvette, located under ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

BrianCunningham undercover boss @ Hooters
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Did anyone stick around after the superbowl and watch it?

pretty cool 1st episode, I think the CEO really learned alot.

Next week's @ Hooters

that should be interesting :lol:

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/undercover_boss/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Undercover_Boss

Quote:
Undercover Boss is a television series on CBS produced by Studio Lambert. It is based on the 2009 Channel 4 series of the same name after CBS acquired the American rights in the same year.[1]

The show's premise features a senior executive at a major corporation, who for one week works incognito in his/her own company as a newly-hired entry-level worker, to find out how the company really works (including the impact of "corporate policy") and identify some of the unsung heroes among the workers.

The first episode premiered on February 7, 2010 after Super Bowl XLIV and featured Larry O'Donnell, President and Chief Operating Officer of Waste Management, Inc..[2]
Posted on: 2010/2/8 21:56
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

BillH Re: undercover boss @ Hooters
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Yea, I was impressed. Uppermanagement all over the country should be doing this.

Even better: we should force Washington to do "Undercover Politician".

One thing that did catch my eye was the look on the faces of the upper management team when he announced that there was going to be changes. They were like "WTF, they're only bottomfeeders, we're the elite, we rule"
Kinda like Washington now that I think about it.
Posted on: 2010/2/8 22:09

CentralCoaster Re: undercover boss @ Hooters
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Yeah, I thought the show was great. A little humility is good advertising also for the companies. The look on the managers' faces was priceless though. "OH SH***!"

He talks the talk but I wasn't really impressed with the results. He gave 3 of them promotions and made vague promises to change some policy for the two others.

If that garbage truck driver spent less time bullshitting with the neighborhood she'd have more time to take a piss somewhere besides a soup can.
Posted on: 2010/2/8 22:48

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Judging by the previews I'm thinking this next episode on Hooters will be really embarrassing though. Looking forward to it.
Posted on: 2010/2/8 22:56

pianoguy Re: undercover boss @ Hooters
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

I saw some of last night's show - I thought it was pretty cool. Indeed, more CEO's should do this - it would be an eye-opener.
Posted on: 2010/2/8 23:17

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I agree.

Wish it was my boss instead of me downtown today getting sprayed by raw sewage.
Posted on: 2010/2/8 23:52

Dads90 Re: undercover boss @ Hooters
Guru
Pearland, Tx
318 Posts

Most UPS upper management people at one time drove a truck. In the old days you didn't go nowhere in UPS unless you drove a package car. Customer Service, Account Execs. all, except part time help. This concept wouldn't change anything, all management people were better drivers than you. ( So they think ) I liked the look on the other execs faces as well, But I think it was more like " yeah right" mentality.
Posted on: 2010/2/9 4:32

Matatk Re: undercover boss @ Hooters
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22804 Posts

Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:

Next week's @ Hooters

Sounds like DB's dream job!
Posted on: 2010/2/9 12:24

SpectatorRacing Re: undercover boss @ Hooters
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Seriously? I thought this show was crap.

I'm sorry, but you don't need to be able to sort garbage to run a multi-billion dollar company.

This was simply pandering to the LCD - the folks who think big business is evil, and that corporations are out to get them. Give me a freakin' break. Sure, companies are there to make money. But if we didn't have these large businesses, who would employ 60% of our workforce? These idiots would be helpless to feed themselves and their families if there weren't these simple jobs that could be learned in a day.

They showed a couple of unfortunate sob stories. Sure, I feel for those people, but it's not like everyone at WMI has a health concern. What about the "poor" woman who gets docked 2 minutes for every one she's late? Try not being late. The only one who really busted her but was the third lady, and she deserved that promotion.

I am tired of this concept that the world is unfair. It's getting really old.
Posted on: 2010/2/9 18:10

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

SpectatorRacing wrote:
I'm sorry, but you don't need to be able to sort garbage to run a multi-billion dollar company.

This was simply pandering to the LCD - the folks who think big business is evil, and that corporations are out to get them. Give me a freakin' break. Sure, companies are there to make money. What about the "poor" woman who gets docked 2 minutes for every one she's late? Try not being late.

No, you don't need to be able to sort garbage to run the company. And yes the companies are there to make money. But, you don't have to treat low level employees like crap to do it.

Docking the 2 minutes is pure BS. Eating lunch and taking a leak can easily take 31 minutes. If someone's abusing a 30 lunchtime then ake action but one minute, give me a break.
You can tell by that suprvisor's attitude what kind of a manager he is.

Having worked for a Fortune 100 company for 20 years,knowing 100s of middle and upper mangement, I can tell you for sure that creme dosen't necessarly rise to the top. The lower management on the fasttrack plays politics first, everything else is second.

The good managers who work with their people get the productivity gains.
Posted on: 2010/2/9 18:58

Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Bill I would never argue that there are good managers and bad ones. There are also good entry level employees and bad ones. This show highlighted a few bad stories so that people all over the US could feel vilified that their complaints are heard. It's what people want to see. And it irritates me.

That woman knew that it was a 30 minute allowance for lunch when she took the job. If that wasn't enough time, she should find a job that gives more time. Good luck finding that job.

I loved that she punched back in and then went and sat on her fat ass. That's stealing, but it's not ok for her manager to ask for that money, now is it? I bet she's never even one minute late when it's quitting time, either. Fair is fair, folks.
Posted on: 2010/2/9 19:38

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Oh I agree with you, and I don't have pity for people's personal sob stories either.

But I still thought the premise of the show was good. It's amusing to watch how the suits behave when nobody's kissing their ass.

The 2 minute for 1 policy sounds fine on paper, but if it drops employee morale and actually decreases productivity or increases turnover, then it's not effective.
Posted on: 2010/2/9 20:18

Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Quote:

The 2 minute for 1 policy sounds fine on paper, but if it drops employee morale and actually decreases productivity or increases turnover, then it's not effective.

Agreed. It sounds stupid. My initial feeling is that it should be 1 for 1. However, none of us work there and none of us know the whole story. Perhaps they tried trusting people and everyone took an hour. Perhaps it used to be 1 for 1 and people still abused it. Or perhaps it was always this way for no good reason and it really did need to be changed.
Posted on: 2010/2/9 21:01

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Granted, the things on the last 3 posts.
And you don't know the whole story of what else could have gone on with those employees.

But, I've seen my share of poor management. A lot of them act like the driving instructor in Brian's post.

Years ago we hired Tom Peters (Management by Walking Around) as a consultant. One of the things he did was have management in a few of our plants do the exact thing that that this TV show did. Make these guys get out into the plant and do the jobs. They were also told to get the people on the line involved with "How can this job be improved, be more efficient?"
Efficiency improved at those plants.

Funny how employees actually doing the job can come up with better ideas than the managers could.
Posted on: 2010/2/9 22:36

flyboy Re: undercover boss @ Hooters
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

I don't watch much of the new programming, but I'll have to check this show out.
Posted on: 2010/2/9 23:00

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:

Funny how employees actually doing the job can come up with better ideas than the managers could.

I worked on a bottling line for a few months and efficiency is everything. We started and stopped on bells and any down time was spent cleaning. Anything you could do to speed up your part of the line by 5% meant you could do the job with 5% less effort. Usually you keep that to yourself, but anytime I did find time to show the supervisor an idea, whether it was stacking palletes better or preventing the glue machine from jamming, she wanted nothing of it. I'm in charge, you are the peon, shut up and work. Ideas from the bottom probably rarely make it up to management.

She wasn't in that position for her problem solving skills, she was there because she was a callous bitch and good at riding everyone's ass 5 days a week.
Posted on: 2010/2/9 23:26

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:

I worked on a bottling line for a few months and efficiency is everything. We started and stopped on bells and any down time was spent cleaning. Anything you could do to speed up your part of the line by 5% meant you could do the job with 5% less effort. Usually you keep that to yourself, but anytime I did find time to show the supervisor an idea, whether it was stacking palletes better or preventing the glue machine from jamming, she wanted nothing of it. I'm in charge, you are the peon, shut up and work. Ideas from the bottom probably rarely make it up to management.

She wasn't in that position for her problem solving skills, she was there because she was a callous bitch and good at riding everyone's ass 5 days a week.

That's exactly the management I was refering to. And they're just a prevlant in "professional" fields too. I went thru a couple in my career that were screamers, thought that the people working for them knew nothing. They never seemed to realize that these people had BSMEs and years of experience, that didn't matter at all.
Posted on: 2010/2/10 0:13

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

I worked on a bottling line for a few months .

Beats working the rotton apple station on the line at an appl packers. Ask me how I know.
Posted on: 2010/2/10 0:16

Guru
Pearland, Tx
318 Posts

We got sups who make the unassigned driver line up in the morning. The drivers show up and start dealing with each other about who is more qualified to do that specific area. They settle on what is the best strategy and then management gets all pissed off and starts threatening these guys for insubordination. They don't like being undermined and would rather send a driver out blind than admit that someone had a better idea.
Posted on: 2010/2/10 4:31

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

LOL.

I'd love to see the UPS CEO on this show. Their drivers seem to be under more pressure than Rosie Odonnell's mattress.
Posted on: 2010/2/10 5:23

flyboy Re: undercover boss @ Hooters
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

Ah, the joys of retirement. No more of that bull.
Posted on: 2010/2/10 14:40

Guru
Pearland, Tx
318 Posts

Quote:

flyboy wrote:
Ah, the joys of retirement. No more of that bull.

Ahh just ten more years. If I can still walk. LOL
Posted on: 2010/2/11 2:47

Durango_Boy Re: undercover boss @ Hooters
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:

Next week's @ Hooters

Sounds like DB's dream job!

You know there is a complete douche rocket that manages the local Hooters. I've considered putting in my bid for his job with his boss...as I have the experience and could probably do a much better job, but I really just don't want to work in food services again. Even with all the...perks...I just don't see it being what I want to do. I'm sure he puts up with a lot or corporate crap that we as customers don't see.

My dream job is oiling the girls all up before their shifts. LOL.
Posted on: 2010/2/11 10:20

BrianCunningham Re: undercover boss @ Hooters
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

cool episode

still can't believe that manager

or the fact that he did the 'reindeer game' in front on the camera!
Posted on: 2010/2/15 14:07

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.