Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
316 user(s) are online (269 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  TH400
Automatic Transmission - 3 Speed

1st Gear: 2.48
2nd Gear: 1.48
3rd Gear: 1.00

- Used in production GM models from 1964 thru 1990.
- 13 Bolt ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Curtis1974 New York
Elite Guru
Bolingbrook, IL
1070 Posts

Made it to New York today. Yesterday was a long one. I took off from Columbia Mo and ended up in Erie Pa. Took me just over 11 hours. Finished the rest of the trip today. Took the wife's Saab and it made just over 30 MPG! The area up here is very beautiful. I plan on taking a road trip up through the Adirondack Mountain range tomorrow after I go look at a house in the morning. Wish I had the Corvette with me as the roads here would be fun! Soon........
Posted on: 2010/6/5 23:12
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

BrianCunningham Re: New York
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

cool, glad you made it in the weather that's happening.
Posted on: 2010/6/5 23:45

Curtis1974 Re: New York
Elite Guru
Bolingbrook, IL
1070 Posts

I only hit rain once just south of Cleveland. Other than that it was pretty smooth.
Posted on: 2010/6/5 23:50

Durango_Boy Re: New York
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Don't kid yourself, it's not your Wife's Saab...it yours now. I know not by choice, that she took the Exploder back after making you buy the Saab for her. LOL.
Posted on: 2010/6/6 1:00

pianoguy Re: New York
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Sounds like a great road trip - good luck house-hunting!
Posted on: 2010/6/6 1:35

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Elite Guru
Bolingbrook, IL
1070 Posts

Quote:

Durango_Boy wrote:
Don't kid yourself, it's not your Wife's Saab...it yours now. I know not by choice, that she took the Exploder back after making you buy the Saab for her. LOL.

Well, at least re-sell value of the Saab will better up here if I decide to flip it. I never loose money on car deals! 4X4 will be high on the priority list.
Posted on: 2010/6/6 1:49

bogus Re: New York
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

That's Great! Glad you had a safe trip!

I will be honest... I lived in Delaware for most of my life, and we got snowed on every so often. I never felt the need for a 4x4. Unless you WANT one, I would skip it.

I would recommend something like an older Subaru (yes, but not with all the issues...).

A 4x4 is a gas hog, bad on maintenance and bad on insurance (even more so in parts of the country where off roading is more necessary)...

A few years back, a friend picked up a great winter vehicle. It was a 2dr Chevy Blazer (small S10 version), with a 4.3 V6, 5spd manual and LSD rear. 2wd, by the way. It was PERFECT in the snow with some snow tires.

I will never forget a very bad weather day. Winter 1999, driving home from work in north DE to my home near Dover. The highway near Odessa, DE was all backed up. This was due to a couple of accidents... oh, and both wrecks? Caused by over confident assholes in 4x4 SUVs. I ain't kidding... there were several vehicles involved and all of them were 4x4s!

Just something to consider.
Posted on: 2010/6/6 2:31

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Matatk Re: New York
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Glad you made it there safe and sound!

Matthew
Posted on: 2010/6/6 11:38

BillH Re: New York
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
I will be honest... I lived in Delaware for most of my life, and we got snowed on every so often. I never felt the need for a 4x4. Unless you WANT one, I would skip it.

I will never forget a very bad weather day. Winter 1999, driving home from work in north DE to my home near Dover. The highway near Odessa, DE was all backed up. This was due to a couple of accidents... oh, and both wrecks? Caused by over confident assholes in 4x4 SUVs. I ain't kidding... there were several vehicles involved and all of them were 4x4s!

There's a big difference in the amount of snow between Delaware and even southern Pa. When you get past the northen border of Pa. and N.Y., it snows a boatload. And with the east coast weather, the snow stays on the roads a long time.

Assholes in SUV are an easy bet, just drive over Donner Summit in the winter, pick out the ones passing you going up the mountain and wave to them when you go by and they're in the ditch.
Posted on: 2010/6/6 14:07

BillH Re: New York
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Curtis1974 wrote:
The area up here is very beautiful. I plan on taking a road trip up through the Adirondack Mountain range tomorrow after I go look at a house in the morning. Wish I had the Corvette with me as the roads here would be fun! Soon........

Glad your trip was uneventful.

The one thing I miss about Pa. is the mountain roads, just a blast to cruise on.
Posted on: 2010/6/6 14:09

bobges Re: New York
Senior Guru
Bushkill PA
254 Posts

Don't forget to pass through Bushkill Pa, Had a Ford 4x4 nothing but problems, snow tires on a front wheel drive gets me around. Because of the tourist snow clean up in the Pocono's is very good, Good luck on your new venture.
Posted on: 2010/6/6 15:08

Peabody Re: New York
Guru Newb
Everett Washington
4 Posts

I lived in Woodstock NY up in the Catskill Mts for 16 years. Wife drove the 4wd 95 GMC Yukon and I drove my 91 Maxima with 4 studded snow tires in the winter months. The lower cg with the Maxima made it handle much much better in the snow and ice than the GMC. It was also much better on steep hills.

One really important factor to remember is that if you do end up with a fwd vehicle you need to put snows on all 4 corners and not just on the front.

Everyone's experience is different but if I were to do it again ... I'd go for fwd with 4 studded snows over a sport ute.
Posted on: 2010/6/6 20:48

Epimax Re: New York
Elite Guru
Wilmington, NC
1814 Posts

Glad you made it there safe! Good luck house hunting!
Posted on: 2010/6/7 12:24

X-FIRE Re: New York
Senior Guru
Ohio
104 Posts

Curtis glad to see you made it there safe and sound. Good Luck with the new job....
Posted on: 2010/6/7 20:14

Elite Guru
Bolingbrook, IL
1070 Posts

Hey everyone! Thanks for all the comments. The first day on the job was fantastic and all the people were great. I know I made the right decision in joining this company. Top notch orginazation...........!
Posted on: 2010/6/8 0:57

Andrew Re: New York
2013 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Jefferson City, MO
447 Posts

Congrats Curtis! Good companies are hard to come by and it sounds like you made the right move.

Unfortunately, mid MO will be without a very nice C3, but most of all, losing a kind hearted, fun guy to be around. You need to schedule time back around some shows!
Posted on: 2010/6/8 1:13

Sold - 1996 Competition Yellow LT4 - DRM 383, NX N2O, Line Lock, LT Headers, 3" stainless exhaust, Power Effects, and many more mods

SOLD 1996 Competition Yellow LT4
SOLD 1979 4 Speed with 383

Elite Guru
Bolingbrook, IL
1070 Posts

Quote:

Andrew wrote:
Congrats Curtis! Good companies are hard to come by and it sounds like you made the right move.

Unfortunately, mid MO will be without a very nice C3, but most of all, losing a kind hearted, fun guy to be around. You need to schedule time back around some shows!

I will sure miss you and all the guys as well. You've been a great friend and it has been a pleasure to get to know you. Plus that's one bad banana you have!

I've made plans to at least make it back to the Corvette cup next year. I doubt the C3 will make it but I'll be back to hang out with all the guys...........Thanks Andy!
Posted on: 2010/6/8 1:31

Andrew Re: New York
2013 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Jefferson City, MO
447 Posts

I still owe you a ride in the flyn' nana. I'd probably disappoint; I'm an old granny on the road . )

Hey, I know Rome, NY fairly well. The Moose lodge has great food. Back when I was with a drum and bugle corp out of Madison, WI, we would stay and perform in Rome, about 1x per year. If I remember right, is there a small university or some kind of boys camp with dorms??
Posted on: 2010/6/8 2:00

Sold - 1996 Competition Yellow LT4 - DRM 383, NX N2O, Line Lock, LT Headers, 3" stainless exhaust, Power Effects, and many more mods

SOLD 1996 Competition Yellow LT4
SOLD 1979 4 Speed with 383

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.