Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
193 user(s) are online (160 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

corvetteronw At Carlisle now
Senior Guru
Lowell, MI
646 Posts

Could not drive the Vette here as I ran out of time to fix a fuel leak. So I drove my truck which gives me more room for swag.
What a place! There are row after row of vendors and cars to see. A virtual Corvette mecca. I stopped by the C4 ZR1 area and spent a great time discussing their fine machines.
I am searching for a used wiper arm, instrument panel and some tools. Also going to try to find a Porter Cable buffer and some POR 15 along with a front license plate filler.
Let the fun begin.
I had dinner with a retired C1 owner and a Boston firefighter who brought his new C6 Z06. Both ends of the hobby. Corvette people are fun to be around!
I found a vendor who brought a new 63 split window body thaat he is manufacturing. Plop that on a tube frame from the next aisle then go over a few spaces to find a used LS2 engine and then over a couple of more aisles to find donor suspension and tranny from a C4 and you almost have a new Vette Rod!
Posted on: 2010/8/28 2:36

TommyT-Bone Re: At Carlisle now
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Oh Ron, your just gonna fill your mind with all kinds of ideas. Have fun. Hope you score a few good deals and enjoy the fantasies.
Posted on: 2010/8/28 2:43
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

pianoguy Re: At Carlisle now
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Man, that sounds like a blast, Ron!
Posted on: 2010/8/28 2:45

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Matatk Re: At Carlisle now
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

I am so jealous. I hope you have a good time.

I've heard that there are some better products out there than POR15, which can fade/discolor in the sunlight. Something to look into.

Matthew
Posted on: 2010/8/28 11:35

corvetteronw Re: At Carlisle now
Senior Guru
Lowell, MI
646 Posts

My hood hinges are nasty, rusty and flaking. i did find a booth that is selling an alternative product that is silver.
This is a meat and potatoes show and not as fancy as Bloomington Gold. I love it!
Posted on: 2010/8/28 12:13

BillH Re: At Carlisle now
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Glad you're having fun, Ron.

Carlisle is great.

I was lucky enough to live 25 miles from there when I grew up, so, I went to many in the early years.
Posted on: 2010/8/28 12:27

PeteK Re: At Carlisle now
Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

I found out a few hours ago that our own nutz4c4 (Mike) has received a celebrity choice award for his beautiful 86 coupe. Trophys are awarded tomorrow, and I will try to get some pics. Great job Mike!!
Posted on: 2010/8/28 23:20

Livin_the_dream Re: At Carlisle now
Senior Guru
robesonia , pa
516 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
I am so jealous. I hope you have a good time.

I've heard that there are some better products out there than POR15, which can fade/discolor in the sunlight. Something to look into.

Matthew

You can top coat POR 15 as it is UV sensitive but it will not rust again.. its one product IMO that if applied properly works as advertised!
Posted on: 2010/8/29 1:58

biggrizzly Re: At Carlisle now
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

I just got in tonight. What an experience this weekend! I was invited to join the ranks of Celebrity Judges this weekend at Corvettes at Carlisle. I spent all day today on the Fun Field talking with people and looking at some really gorgeous Corvettes. Here are a few of my photos of my pick for Celebrity Choice. These people were so elated to have their car picked after 20 some years of working on this car and bringing it to Carlisle for years. I talked with them for some time today and was so glad to make someone's day. I'll make another post in the morning and tell you some of the cool highlights of the weekend and post a link to all of my photos that I took.

Happy Winners
Resized Image

Blown 63
Resized Image

Don Haller (short, fat guy!) and the Owner
Resized Image

Beautiful Interior
Resized Image

Nice Engine Detail
Resized Image
Posted on: 2010/8/29 2:53

Senior Guru
Lowell, MI
646 Posts

What the Gurus really want are pics of the gals from the bikini event today. I missed it cause I was talking with Chris Petris at the Corvette Central booth. They have a C4 there that is cut away so you can see the inner workings. Chris said it will soon be featured in Corvette Enthusiast magazine. I will take some pics of it Sunday.
Posted on: 2010/8/29 3:55

bogus Re: At Carlisle now
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

sweet!!!

If you still need a front plate filler, let me know, I still have mine...
Posted on: 2010/8/29 8:43

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Matatk Re: At Carlisle now
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Great looking car, Don. Did they do an article on that in Vette or one of the other mags a couple of years ago?

Matthew
Posted on: 2010/8/29 11:38

biggrizzly Re: At Carlisle now
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Great looking car, Don. Did they do an article on that in Vette or one of the other mags a couple of years ago?

Matthew

I'm not sure. They invited me into their little "Sitting Room" and went through the photo book of the car's history and the progression of three or four engines he built for the car. My goal in selecting a car was that I wanted a car that showed some blood sweat and tears. I did not want to pick a car that someone had dug into their 401k or Equity line a plinked down $150 to buy a turnkey super corvette. I know plenty of those guys and it just doesn't get it for me.

I found a few others that had great cars and great stories but they had been picked earlier in the day. Only one pick per judge was allowed.

If that car is not magazine quality, I'd eat my hat!
Posted on: 2010/8/29 12:09

bogus Re: At Carlisle now
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Don - you nailed it. I really don't have a lot of tolerance for check-book hotrodders.

If there are some scars and grease under the nails, I am all for it!
Posted on: 2010/8/29 18:03

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

WW7 Re: At Carlisle now
Senior Guru
Almost Heaven WV
268 Posts

Quote:

PeteK wrote:
I found out a few hours ago that our own nutz4c4 (Mike) has received a celebrity choice award for his beautiful 86 coupe. Trophys are awarded tomorrow, and I will try to get some pics. Great job Mike!!

Mike does have one sweet looking 86, there is no way most of use would have the patience to detail a car to the extent that he has done on his. He deserves a real BIG trophy for the work he has put into his ride..Congratulations Mike..WW

Posted on: 2010/8/29 18:57

JeffK Re: At Carlisle now
Elite Guru
High Point, NC
1440 Posts

It was a great event. Dad and I walked around and around amazed at the amount of Vettes and parts!
Posted on: 2010/8/30 11:09

Senior Guru
Lowell, MI
646 Posts

Bog Grizzly - I saw that split window drive in front of the grandstand to get the award. It sounded mean. Got to hand it to them for driving that to the show.
WW7 - Was that you parked next to Mike at the show? You have a supercharger on your car, right?
I never saw you by the car even with the many times I passed by. I would like to discuss your blower install sometime and see if it might be something I would want to do.
The crew I hang with now included several C5 Z06s, C6 Z06s, one Grand Sport convertible and a brand new red ZR1. I would at least like to be able to keep them in sight when they pull away from me on a street run!
Posted on: 2010/8/31 13:22

mikeV Re: At Carlisle now
Guru Newb
Top of the world Ma
158 Posts

Quote:

PeteK wrote:

Thanks Pete...Actualy I'm just plain old mikeV over here
Thanks to WW7 too. Wayne that detail job is over the course of 5 years and lots of band aids with lots of driving in between. Was great hangin' with you,Pete,corvetteron and all the others.Lookin' forward to hangin' with you all next year.
Wayne,your car sounds bitchin'. Pete built you an awesome motor. Thats my he has my block and rotating assembly now.Thanks guys for the kind words,never in my wildest imagination did I ever think I would receive a Celeb Pick.

mike
Posted on: 2010/8/31 13:26

Senior Guru
Lowell, MI
646 Posts

Here is the cut away C4 that Chris Petris had at the show. It is being used by Corvette Central to feature their C4 products:
Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

I am writing an article on this 72 y/o gal's 1960 Corvette that she and her husband rebuilt themselves in their garage:
Resized Image

I am also going to submit one to Corvette Enthusiast on this blindingly yellow 91 ZR-1. The owner stated that it is pushing 190mph top speed!
Resized Image

Resized Image
Posted on: 2010/8/31 13:34

JeffK Re: At Carlisle now
Elite Guru
High Point, NC
1440 Posts

I missed that C4 cutaway somehow.
Posted on: 2010/8/31 13:58

mikeV Re: At Carlisle now
Guru Newb
Top of the world Ma
158 Posts

Quote:

corvetteronw wrote:
Bog Grizzly - I saw that split window drive in front of the grandstand to get the award. It sounded mean. Got to hand it to them for driving that to the show.
WW7 - Was that you parked next to Mike at the show? You have a supercharger on your car, right?
I never saw you by the car even with the many times I passed by. I would like to discuss your blower install sometime and see if it might be something I would want to do.
The crew I hang with now included several C5 Z06s, C6 Z06s, one Grand Sport convertible and a brand new red ZR1. I would at least like to be able to keep them in sight when they pull away from me on a street run!

Ron,the car parked next to me was my friends procharged '89 Greenwood. I'd be happy to tell you all about that ordeal....
It does look like WW7's car but wayne is sportin' a Pete K 383 and it sounds awesome..

mike
Posted on: 2010/8/31 13:58

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.