Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
284 user(s) are online (223 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  4L60
The automatic from 1992-1993. The same as the 700R4, just has a different name.

Either way, they are junk. There are some minor differences on a ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
(1) 2 »
 Register To Post

Steve40th Did rear bearings and brakes, something weird on the right rear brake. Look
Elite Guru
1114 Posts

My rear bearings were shot, as pics show as they were leaking grease. So, I put SKF rear bearings in. I also, did new teflon washer, greased brake guide pins, and greased the splines of the spindle to alleviate all noise. Wrong, after all was said and done, u joints need to be replaced.
Anyways, look at the right rear rotor. I painted the top hat, as it was silver and going to rust, with black caliper paint. Some bled over to the face of the rotor. But after bedding in the brakes, HPS Hawk pads, and 75 miles of driving, this is the wear pattern. Kinda missing about an inch of rotor it should be touching. Left side is fine, as all other rotors and pads. What do you think.

Attach file:

jpg  DSCF2516res.jpg (293.23 KB)
236_4d605aaf090e9.jpg 1668X1500 px

jpg  DSCF2506res.jpg (248.26 KB)
236_4d605ac20528b.jpg 1388X1104 px

jpg  DSCF2505222.jpg (451.53 KB)
236_4d605ad50185c.jpg 1476X1540 px
Posted on: 2011/2/20 0:05

bogus Re: Did rear bearings and brakes, something weird on the right rear brake. Look
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

the pad wear is odd. It should be even across the rotor.

Make sure the pads are seated evenly, and the calipers are set in securely. If they are off a bit, that would explain a lot.
Posted on: 2011/2/20 0:49

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Steve40th Re: Did rear bearings and brakes, something weird on the right rear brake. Look
Elite Guru
1114 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
the pad wear is odd. It should be even across the rotor.

Make sure the pads are seated evenly, and the calipers are set in securely. If they are off a bit, that would explain a lot.

Well, I re-did them. Nothing was off and they pretty much only go one way.
Weird. I think the rotor wasnt cut right. Who knows.
Posted on: 2011/2/20 1:32

bam Re: Did rear bearings and brakes, something weird on the right rear brake. Look
Senior Guru
missouri
250 Posts

This is funny, I have the exact same wear pattern on my 93 after I replaced the rear pads and rotors. The inside of the rotor is fine but the outside is just like yours, contacting on the top 1/2 only. I can even look at the pad next to the rotor and see a gap at the bottom of the pad. I was thinking my calipers are shot. Maybe the bearings (mine were shot on both sides) allowed the rotor to tilt in at the top and so the inside of the caliper where the pads sit is showing some resulting strange wear? Now that everything is new except the caliper, it is showing the bad wear pattern in the caliper. My car has 100,000+ mi. I also painted my calipers and got some paint on the inside where the pads sit but I took them back apart and scraped that area with a file and it changed nothing.
Posted on: 2011/2/20 1:51

Steve40th Re: Did rear bearings and brakes, something weird on the right rear brake. Look
Elite Guru
1114 Posts

Quote:

bam wrote:
This is funny, I have the exact same wear pattern on my 93 after I replaced the read pads and rotors. The inside of the rotor is fine but the outside is just like yours, contacting on the top 1/2 only. I can even look at the pad next to the rotor and see a gap at the bottom of the pad. I was thinking my calipers are shot. Maybe the bearings (mine were shot on both sides) allowed the rotor to tilt in at the top and so the inside of the caliper is worn more on the top outside? Now that everything is new except the caliper, it is showing the bad wear pattern in the caliper. My car has 100,000+ mi.

Weird, How can a caliper not keep things flat?
bearings are brand new.
Posted on: 2011/2/20 1:55

bam Re: Did rear bearings and brakes, something weird on the right rear brake. Look
Senior Guru
missouri
250 Posts

The caliper when it is new is perfectly aligned so that both of the sides are parallel where the pads sit, maybe it's possible for that to wear strangely when the rotor is not perfectly perpendicular since the bearing is allowing the rotor to move in at the top relative to the mounting of the caliper to the suspension, make sense? Just a guess, I can't imagine what else it could be. I am going to borrow a mike from a friend and check the two surfaces to see if the are parallel.
Posted on: 2011/2/20 2:02

Elite Guru
1114 Posts

Quote:

bam wrote:
The caliper when it is new is perfectly aligned so that both of the sides are parallel where the pads sit, maybe it's possible for that to wear strangely when the rotor is not perfectly perpendicular since the bearing is allowing the rotor to move in at the top relative to the mounting of the caliper to the suspension, make sense? Just a guess, I can't imagine what else it could be. I am going to borrow a mike from a friend and check the two surfaces to see if the are parallel.

Cool, let us know the results
Posted on: 2011/2/20 2:48

Matatk Re: Did rear bearings and brakes, something weird on the right rear brake. Look
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

I'm wondering if the caliper piston is hanging up inside the bore. Can you somehow mic it with a mic stand and see how far it is compressing? Or visually inspect it?

Also, are you sure the rotor is 100% level/flat or that the pad is the same thickness throughout?

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/2/20 16:30

Elite Guru
1114 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
I'm wondering if the caliper piston is hanging up inside the bore. Can you somehow mic it with a mic stand and see how far it is compressing? Or visually inspect it?

Also, are you sure the rotor is 100% level/flat or that the pad is the same thickness throughout?

Matthew

The piston went in fine when I compressed it to allow the pads to fit.
The rotor I did not check. They are Raybestos, and new. You can see they were cut. That doesnt mean they are done right though. We'll see what it looks like after a few hundred miles.
Posted on: 2011/2/20 17:10

flyboy Re: Did rear bearings and brakes, something weird on the right rear brake. Look
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

I didn't think new rotors needed to be cut.
Posted on: 2011/2/20 17:13

Matatk Re: Did rear bearings and brakes, something weird on the right rear brake. Look
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Quote:

flyboy wrote:

I think he meant from the factory.

But just because it's a new part, doesn't mean it's always good or in spec....unfortunately.

Can you mic the pads, too, and see if they are the same thickness?
Posted on: 2011/2/20 17:20

Elite Guru
1114 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Quote:

flyboy wrote:

I think he meant from the factory.

But just because it's a new part, doesn't mean it's always good or in spec....unfortunately.

Can you mic the pads, too, and see if they are the same thickness?
I could have, but, since they are already on, and wearing, I cant.
They are Hawk pads, pretty good company.
Posted on: 2011/2/20 17:21

RestoMod57 Re: Did rear bearings and brakes, something weird on the right rear brake. Look
Guru
Phoenix, AZ
55 Posts

I used to recommend to customers that new rotors be cut, but only with a computerized on-the-car lathe. Two reasons, the quality of some rotors was sub-standard (especially Chinese produced ones), and secondly the on-car lathe matches the cut to the hub and its wobbles.
Posted on: 2011/2/20 17:47

jaa1992 Re: Did rear bearings and brakes, something weird on the right rear brake. Look
Guru
Stone Mtn, GA (near Atlanta)
187 Posts

Caliper spread maybe? Caused by the wobbly bearing?
Try a rebuilt caliper on that side?
Check the mount as well.
Posted on: 2011/2/21 19:35

Elite Guru
1114 Posts

Quote:

jaa1992 wrote:
Check the mount as well.

If the aluminum caliper is spread, I think it would be cracked or show signs of wear. I just cant see aluminum forged calipers bending. Not that its impossible,
Posted on: 2011/2/21 19:38

Elite Guru
1114 Posts

Okay, I went out and took the right rear brakes apart. Nothing unusual popped up. I then redid the break in of the pads procedure, and it still is the same.
The pad was wearing, and you can see it is now not flat as it was when new. So unless I re cut the rotor, it will eventually start wearing onto the rotor.
I plan on flushing the brakes in a week or so, so I may take the rotor off and recut it. Couldn't hurt to see if that is the problem.
Posted on: 2011/2/21 22:38

Churchkey Re: Did rear bearings and brakes, something weird on the right rear brake. Look
Guru
69 Posts

After machining a kazillion rotors I can tell you that it is impossible to machine a rotor on a rotor lathe so that the brake surface is at an angle to the hub surface. If the rotor was mounted improperly on the rotor lathe the rotor will wobble (laymans defination of run out) when installed on the hub. The result is a pulsating brake pedal. If you have access to a dial indicator use it to determine if the rotor is running true.

IMHO the caliper is/has spread or the pads are not seated/installed properly in the caliper housing or the caliper is not installed properly on the upright. Perhaps some trash/junk between the caliper & upright
Posted on: 2011/2/21 23:22

Elite Guru
1114 Posts

Quote:

Churchkey wrote:
After machining a kazillion rotors I can tell you that it is impossible to machine a rotor on a rotor lathe so that the brake surface is at an angle to the hub surface. If the rotor was mounted improperly on the rotor lathe the rotor will wobble (laymans defination of run out) when installed on the hub. The result is a pulsating brake pedal. If you have access to a dial indicator use it to determine if the rotor is running true.

IMHO the caliper is/has spread or the pads are not seated/installed properly in the caliper housing or the caliper is not installed properly on the upright. Perhaps some trash/junk between the caliper & upright

Okay. Not the rotor then. I will check it with a dial indicator when I do the brake flush.
Pads really arent rocket science. They fit right in and really cant be installed wrong on the rear Vettes calipers. I mean, you would have to go out of your way to put them in wrong. And it is pretty tight with new pads and rotors.So, no wiggle room.
How the heck can a caliper just all of a sudden spread, after 144000 miles. Wasnt doing this with the other pads and rotors.
Posted on: 2011/2/21 23:27

CentralCoaster Re: Did rear bearings and brakes, something weird on the right rear brake. Look
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

What does the backside of the rotor look like?

If its the same then yeah, I guess it'd have to be a spread caliper. Although even with that I would expect the pad to still lay flat on the rotor though, and to be not flush against the piston.

The caliper could have been spread previously but the pads eventually wore to compensate. What do the old pads look like?
Posted on: 2011/2/22 1:21

Elite Guru
1114 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
What does the backside of the rotor look like?

If its the same then yeah, I guess it'd have to be a spread caliper. Although even with that I would expect the pad to still lay flat on the rotor though, and to be not flush against the piston.

The caliper could have been spread previously but the pads eventually wore to compensate. What do the old pads look like?

The back side is fine, as is the left rear caliper as both sides are perfect.
If it is a spread caliper, who is to say anything I buy wasnt bad before being "remanufactured" I guess new is the only way to get a caliper.
Posted on: 2011/2/22 1:30

CentralCoaster Re: Did rear bearings and brakes, something weird on the right rear brake. Look
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Reman is only as good as the shop doing the work. If it's an ac delco reman it was probably done in china or mexico. You'd think checking for spread would be part of the process.
Posted on: 2011/2/22 1:40

Calm Re: Did rear bearings and brakes, something weird on the right rear brake. Look
Senior Guru
Vancouver, Canada
608 Posts

You would think the measurement specs for caliper spread (and measurement points) would be published somewhere on the net?
Posted on: 2011/2/22 1:43

Elite Guru
1114 Posts

Quote:

Calm wrote:
You would think the measurement specs for caliper spread (and measurement points) would be published somewhere on the net?

Choices out here are cardone and bendix.
rock auto has ac delco, but with shipping back and forth, its not worth the cost.
I am going to email DRM and see if they have any suggestions, especially measurements
Posted on: 2011/2/22 1:51

biggrizzly Re: Did rear bearings and brakes, something weird on the right rear brake. Look
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

I have been following this thread with interest and don't want to add anything to confuse the subject, as I'm not real knowledgeable about brakes. However, since my wheels are off I went down and looked at my contact area. Mine contact area only looks a pinch wider than yours but starts closer to the outside of the rotor and leaves about a half inch or so of no contact on the inside. I just thougth I post this rusted ugly photo for some comparison.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_1349.jpg (84.83 KB)
342_4d6318bb6b282.jpg 1024X768 px
Posted on: 2011/2/22 2:03

Elite Guru
1114 Posts

Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:
I have been following this thread with interest and don't want to add anything to confuse the subject, as I'm not real knowledgeable about brakes. However, since my wheels are off I went down and looked at my contact area. Mine contact area only looks a pinch wider than yours but starts closer to the outside of the rotor and leaves about a half inch or so of no contact on the inside. I just thougth I post this rusted ugly photo for some comparison.

How is it compared to the other side?
Posted on: 2011/2/22 2:06

biggrizzly Re: Did rear bearings and brakes, something weird on the right rear brake. Look
4543 Posts

Looks the same on the rear. Other side the same.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_1362.jpg (37.47 KB)
342_4d631db279f56.jpg 1024X768 px
Posted on: 2011/2/22 2:22

Elite Guru
1114 Posts

Interesting. I emailed DRM, as they have always been very helpful on my C4 questions. Maybe they can enlighten us on measurements of a known good caliper.
I am sure that I wont get a bad caliper from a parts store, LOL.
But, it would be nice to know if I end up going there.
Posted on: 2011/2/22 2:27

4543 Posts

I know this is a silly question, but are the dia. of your rotors to specification and the diameter of the hats?
Posted on: 2011/2/22 2:35

Elite Guru
1114 Posts

Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:
I know this is a silly question, but are the dia. of your rotors to specification and the diameter of the hats?

Yep, I put them up to the old ones. But, being the silly guy I am , I threw the old ones away as they were too thin to cut one more time.
Posted on: 2011/2/22 2:37

RestoMod57 Re: Did rear bearings and brakes, something weird on the right rear brake. Look
Guru
Phoenix, AZ
55 Posts

This may be grasping at straws, but have you checked to make sure each caliper has correct inner and outer pads?

The inner pads should have the wear tab indicator on them. And the tab should be closest to the abutment bracket (holds the e-brake cable).

Also measure the pads when installed for parallel. Measure one side then the other. The difference should be no more than 0.15mm. Then measure top to bottom. This seems like where your problem may be.

The picture of your wear says it's probably something other than mis-installed inner and outer pads - but at least you'll eliminate this possibility. Just trying to help.
Posted on: 2011/2/22 15:54

Elite Guru
1114 Posts

Quote:

RestoMod57 wrote:
This may be grasping at straws, but have you checked to make sure each caliper has correct inner and outer pads?

The inner pads should have the wear tab indicator on them. And the tab should be closest to the abutment bracket (holds the e-brake cable).

Also measure the pads when installed for parallel. Measure one side then the other. The difference should be no more than 0.15mm. Then measure top to bottom. This seems like where your problem may be.

The picture of your wear says it's probably something other than mis-installed inner and outer pads - but at least you'll eliminate this possibility. Just trying to help.

I did verify the pads were on the right side. The wear indicators were on the inside.
Whats strange is its only that pad, as the other three on the rear are fine.
And when you ask to measure them, is this sliding a feeler gauge in from left to right to verify how far the pad is off the rotor?
Posted on: 2011/2/22 16:00

BillH Re: Did rear bearings and brakes, something weird on the right rear brake. Look
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

RestoMod57 wrote:

Yea, that really needs to be done. And the rotors need to be measured.

Ckeching for caliper spread is going to be tough because you can only measure the rough casting. And if the calipers are spreading under pressure and returning when you let off, no way to really tell.

IF, the pistons are cocking in the bore, you may get an idea of how much by applying the brakes hard when stopped, then remove the caliper very carefully from the disc without moving the pistons. Chect the top and bottom of the piston surface where it contacts the pad with a snap gage. But, it still might not show much.

if the caliper is cocked in any way, the wear pattern on the front of the disc should be in a different location from the rear surface.
Posted on: 2011/2/22 16:05

Guru
Phoenix, AZ
55 Posts

Use a caliper to measure between the friction surfaces of the pads. This shows any taper to the pads. Your taper looks pretty radical from top to botton of the pad surface.

By top to bottom I mean from the caliper valley to the open side.

The explanation for this seems to be something other than the taper of the pads, but again, it's something you can eliminate.
Posted on: 2011/2/22 16:10

BillH Re: Did rear bearings and brakes, something weird on the right rear brake. Look
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Steve40th wrote:
I did verify the pads were on the right side. The wear indicators were on the inside.
And when you ask to measure them, is this sliding a feeler gauge in from left to right to verify how far the pad is off the rotor?

I'll assume here but, I think Resto's talking about using a mic with the pads out of the caliper.

And you need to pull the good pads $ measure for reference.

It's always possible that you have a bad pad.

How many miles on them, just break in?
Posted on: 2011/2/22 16:11

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

RestoMod57 wrote:
Use a caliper to measure between the friction surfaces of the pads. This shows any taper to the pads. Your taper looks pretty radical from top to botton of the pad surface.

By top to bottom I mean from the caliper valley to the open side.

The explanation for this seems to be something other than the taper of the pads, but again, it's something you can eliminate.

Yea, that makes sense.
Posted on: 2011/2/22 16:12

Elite Guru
1114 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

Steve40th wrote:

I'll assume here but, I think Resto's talking about using a mic with the pads out of the caliper.

And you need to pull the good pads $ measure for reference.

It's always possible that you have a bad pad.

How many miles on them, just break in?

They were broke in and immediately looked like that.
They now have 70 miles on them, half way around my third world world country of Oahu. When I took them out yesteday, the outside pad was already worn. So, it is not flat anymore. The inner pad was flat.
Posted on: 2011/2/22 16:14

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Steve40th wrote:
They now have 70 miles on them, half way around my third world world country of Oahu. When I took them out yesteday, the outside pad was already worn. So, it is not flat anymore. The inner pad was flat.

Good, that's not enough to screw up the measurements.

I'd do what Resto said and then pull the pads & mic then compare those measurements to the set of another wheel.

Good luck.
Posted on: 2011/2/22 16:19

Elite Guru
1114 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

Steve40th wrote:

Good, that's not enough to screw up the measurements.

I'd do what Resto said and then pull the pads & mic then compare those measurements to the set of another wheel.

Good luck.

Might be a week or so. Next time I take these off is when I flush the brakes. I also want to have another caliper on hand.
Posted on: 2011/2/22 16:34

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:
I have been following this thread with interest and don't want to add anything to confuse the subject, as I'm not real knowledgeable about brakes. However, since my wheels are off I went down and looked at my contact area.

Different situation, your pads don't even cover that part of the rotor.

Why GM put a friction surface where there's no pads is beyond me. They did the same on the C5. Won't hurt anything though.
Posted on: 2011/2/22 20:57

Elite Guru
1114 Posts

Quote:

RestoMod57 wrote:

Should the wear indicator be closest to the ground then? The front wear is supposed to be on the trailing end of the caliper on the inside.
Posted on: 2011/2/22 21:02

Guru
Phoenix, AZ
55 Posts

Sorry Steve, I looked at mine (off the car, actually not installed yet), and the inner pad's wear tab is at the rear of the caliper when on the car. For left and right calipers, that's the only way the pads fit.

So the wear tab is closest to the e-brake lever (with spring). My brakes are from a 1995.

The picture here shows where taper is measured, in between the pads when they are installed. Measure both left and right. The difference should not be more than 0.15mm. But since you have driven on your pads, they may have already worn enough to make the margin bigger.

CC may be correct in that the pad surface may not be engineered to contact the entire rotor, BUT when I removed the old pads and rotors, a complete contact patch was evident.

My pads are Raybestos and model specific. Hawk should be the same though.

Hope this helps,

Steve M.

Attach file:

jpg  Guru_rear caliper_left.jpg (288.11 KB)
2124_4d642958a95e6.jpg 1602X1520 px
Posted on: 2011/2/22 21:24

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

RestoMod57 wrote:
BUT when I removed the old pads and rotors, a complete contact patch was evident.

My pads are Raybestos and model specific. Hawk should be the same though.

Hope this helps,

Steve M.

Yea, you should be getting full contact, the same width as the pad with a 1/16 to 1/8th "edge" on the outside edge of the rotor where the pads don't make contact.

My Hawks show contact on the full width of the pad.
Posted on: 2011/2/22 21:32

Guru
Phoenix, AZ
55 Posts

You might also check to see if your outer pad is completely seated in the bracket. The hairpin spring should protrude through the caliper opening. Pic attached.

If it's your outside pad that's wearing incorrectly, it may also be your slide pins. Did you say you disassembled the caliper and greased them?

Attach file:

jpg  Guru_rear left caliper_top.jpg (312.21 KB)
2124_4d642c1d786df.jpg 1500X1043 px
Posted on: 2011/2/22 21:35

Elite Guru
1114 Posts

Quote:

RestoMod57 wrote:
You might also check to see if your outer pad is completely seated in the bracket. The hairpin spring should protrude through the caliper opening. Pic attached.

If it's your outside pad that's wearing incorrectly, it may also be your slide pins. Did you say you disassembled the caliper and greased them?

I greased the slide pins. And the springs for the pad is correct.
DRM emailed me and said if the caliper ever gets hot, it fatigues and eventually is junk, and spreads.
Well, I remember a couple years ago, I had a shop do something to the car, and when I left the shop I smelt brake pads. I was on a flat road barely a couple miles away. Well, they applied the ebrake, and the indicator light was not on. Long story short, pad was on fire. When I realized it, all I could do is release the brake and drive till the fire went out and cooled off. That may have been my overheating situation. What do you think?
Posted on: 2011/2/22 21:43

Guru
Phoenix, AZ
55 Posts

On fire? Yes, that would heat up the aluminum caliper nicely and could cause the spread. If one side heated up from the e-brake, the other side did too, just not to the point of catching fire.

Sorry to bring the bad news. Maybe other Gurus have better advice. Mine is to replace calipers.
Posted on: 2011/2/22 21:51

Elite Guru
1114 Posts

Quote:

RestoMod57 wrote:
On fire? Yes, that would heat up the aluminum caliper nicely and could cause the spread. If one side heated up from the e-brake, the other side did too, just not to the point of catching fire.

Sorry to bring the bad news. Maybe other Gurus have better advice. Mine is to replace calipers.

The other side was fine, no fire.
But, I am working with someone to get calipers. I will at least do one.
I cant believe I forgot about the little fire years ago. Damn I am getting oldheimers..
Posted on: 2011/2/22 21:55

Elite Guru
1114 Posts

UPDATE: I may have fixed it. Something kept telling me the fire wasnt very much and nothing really burnt, it was just the pad.
So, I took the wheel off, asked someone to push the pedal and I watched the pad. It kept rocking, not going in flat. So, I took it apart. I found this, the anit rattle plate wash damaged. If you look close you will see a shiny part on the right, it actually is bent up there and causing, IMHO, the pad to not go flat.
So, I took it out, and did a break in procedure, again, And within a mile, look at the difference.
First pick is now, compared to the one above. Looks much better. Now I need to drive it and see if the pad gets flatter in there. I think it will. What do you think?

Attach file:

jpg  DSCF2534.JPG (608.93 KB)
236_4d646fff542e2.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  DSCF2539.JPG (600.06 KB)
236_4d64703d08e06.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  DSCF2516res.jpg (293.23 KB)
236_4d6470a989c1c.jpg 1668X1500 px
Posted on: 2011/2/23 2:28

Guru
Phoenix, AZ
55 Posts

Something had to be jacking that pad around is a radical way. I believe you found the culprit. Good work.

Definitely check the wear of the pads and contact patch on the rotor in the next 50-100 miles. I wouldn't go any longer than that before doing an extensive check.

The great brake mystery is solved!
Posted on: 2011/2/23 2:42

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

RestoMod57 wrote:

CC may be correct in that the pad surface may not be engineered to contact the entire rotor, BUT when I removed the old pads and rotors, a complete contact patch was evident.

Look at the picture, it's obvious.
Resized Image
Posted on: 2011/2/23 5:02

jaa1992 Re: Did rear bearings and brakes, something weird on the right rear brake. Look
Guru
Stone Mtn, GA (near Atlanta)
187 Posts

Quote:

Steve40th wrote:
Quote:

jaa1992 wrote:
Check the mount as well.

If the aluminum caliper is spread, I think it would be cracked or show signs of wear. I just cant see aluminum forged calipers bending. Not that its impossible,

Nope, they spread without any visible signs

I don't have one off the car or I could do some measurements.

Read the rest of the thread - yea, the bad anti-rattle plate messd up the pad alignment. I don't use them anyway
Posted on: 2011/2/23 14:13

(1) 2 »
You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.