Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
268 user(s) are online (213 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  C2
Abbreviation for the 2nd generation of Corvettes built from 1963-1967....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

RobertT Has any body installed this ? Exhaust question
Guru
62 Posts

Corvette Centrals Part # 324445 , Straight back exhaust pipes , eliminates the cats , I'm in FL ( no smog test or inspections ) . so I was thinking these pipes to some new mufflers .

Any muffler suggestions ?

Budget is tight don't have $$$$ for corsa.
Posted on: 2011/3/6 19:21
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: Has any body installed this ? Exhaust question
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

What year?

Hell, any year, really, but those will drone and resonate like crazy... unless you are already deaf, I wouldn't go there. Save the $$ and wait for a good system.

Also, even without smog (where in FL are you?), many higher priced towns are cracking down on loud pipes - hogs, hotrods, you name it - and are ticketing folks.

It is an issue in a neighbouring town to mine here in SoCal.

Just something to keep in mind.

Oh, coming to the 12 hrs of Sebring? Me and my wife will be there!
Posted on: 2011/3/6 19:43

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

RobertT Re: Has any body installed this ? Exhaust question
Guru
62 Posts

90 Vette .

what would you suggest for a setup for this car?

does eliminating the cats cause drone and resonating sound ?

I'm on the west coast of FL , I haven't seen any problems with loud exhausts here, 90% of the bikes around town are so loud you can't even think when one is near you .

But , I just want a good free flowing exhaust and some good
sound , I'd like to sound a little bit like a rebel but nothing insane .

Sebring never been there for the race, usually I don't have time in my busy schedule to get away .
Posted on: 2011/3/6 22:04

bogus Re: Has any body installed this ? Exhaust question
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

The 1990 exhaust is rather restrictive.

I would go looking for a stock 1992 LT1 cat back, then put on a pair of bullet cats.

There is a method to my madness - One is, the cat helps cut polution. No question. Sure, it is a trade off, but I prefer the output of the cat to what a car COULD be spewing.

I am concerned that some areas that were exempt from testing could get tested. Initially, they will only do sniff tests... and I don't see states taking on CA style emissions and retroactively applying them.

An LT1 catback should be nearly free. Check local Corvette vendors and shops.

Converting your existing down pipes should work ok, but if you can find a couple of used LT1 cats, more power to ya. If they are shot, who cares, get a couple of Random Tech or Carsound cats welded in to replace them.

If you want, you can then do an aftermarket muffler or what not.

The C4 coupe is prone to in-cabin drone. It is caused by the location and tone of the exhaust. Corsa, tho expensive, does a nice job of killing to resonance.

The LT1 exhaust is pretty good and is well made. But will drone a bit. However, I think it will liberate 30hp on the cheap!
Posted on: 2011/3/7 2:42

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Matatk Re: Has any body installed this ? Exhaust question
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Some people claim they like straight pipes, I think it's loud and obnoxious and resonates inside the cabin.

Andy's suggestion of the LT1 exhaust is good, that's the route I'll be going when I RE-do my exhaust...I put an aftermarket magnaflow system on and it's too loud. Especially with the headers and motor.

There is a good chance you won't be able to use the LT1 cats. They are very large and required a factory indent in the frame that the earlier cars don't have. One of our other members, Anesthes, faced that problem with his swap. Bullet cats are the way to go.

As far as the LT1 being free, around here they run about $100 for a used system, so be prepared for that, plus another $75 for the hardware to hang it, and maybe the cost for an exhaust shop to fit it.

If you have your heart set on dual straight pipes, you might find a local shop to do it cheaper, maybe not.

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/3/7 12:41

flyboy Re: Has any body installed this ? Exhaust question
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

If I didn't have headers I would definitely give the 324445's a try. True duals with a cross pipe, correct hanger, you choose the mufflers, I like it. I have Flowmasters and love the sound but am not recommending them because of mostly negative comments from others. Check some vid's for muffler sounds.
Posted on: 2011/3/7 13:29

Guru
62 Posts

Damn , I was thinking about the flowmasters , I found a really good price on the y pipe and mufflers with SS tips.

There is also a setup with straight front pipes to one HP cat then to the back y pipe

Probably still alot of drone ?? I am guessing any L98 system is going to sound this way .
Posted on: 2011/3/7 14:15

Vetron87 Re: Has any body installed this ? Exhaust question
Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

I eliminated my cats on the 87 last year. Bought the set from Corvette Central. Took less than an hour to install. Currently Indiana has no emission testing. I sold the cats and pre cats to a scrap yard for $32.00. My 87 only has 33K and the mufflers were in good shape but replaced them with Magnaflows anyway, mileage increased throttle response is great. Sound at idle is nice..old school. However, @ 50-55 the drone is bad...60-70 life is good again. Pipes have an H style crossover to balance out exhaust pulse, I sprayed the exhaust system with VHT bright aluminum paint.
Most impressive was the mileage increase, Road trip average at 65 hit and sustained 32 mph. I think over the years the cats were beginning to clog.
Posted on: 2011/3/7 14:54

Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

I have the "ForceII" Flowmaster cat-back. The only so called "drone" I get is if the engine is lugging. Solution, downshift. It's fine on the highway. If you like the aggressive Flowmaster rumble, go for it. Here's a recent vid. taken in the garage after a trans fluid/filter change.
Posted on: 2011/3/7 16:45

CentralCoaster Re: Has any body installed this ? Exhaust question
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I have elims and love it. Little resonance and sounds as mean as it can with a stock cam under heavy throttle. I have a single high flow cat ahead of them thathelps mellow it down just enough. Very old school sound though. If you like Corsa type sounds, you won't like this, and vise versa.

Normally the fitment sucks on these piees. If the angles aren't perfect, so you can have the tips lined up, or the clamps stay tight, but not both, lol. Mine are now welded.

For reference, I'm 30 and don't like stupid loud exhaust like every high school kid seems to. 95% of the time I just want my car to be comfortable and convenient and not obnoxious.
Posted on: 2011/3/7 18:20

pr0zac Re: Has any body installed this ? Exhaust question
Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

i think i am at the point in my car where worrying about noise is kind of out the window. i like how it sounds but it is really loud.. i have an older slp exhaust without the middle muffler. its dual 3 inch and you can hear it coming. but my engine isn't really for the faint of heart so its whatever.i wouldn't mind trying out a magnaflow but its just going to be for bragging.
Posted on: 2011/3/7 20:02

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Here is a 90 with a single cat and elims. Mine sounds like this also, maybe a little more tame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0qZrww1ILE
Posted on: 2011/3/7 20:46

Guru
62 Posts

I like the sound of the " force 11" flowmasters . It has
that old school sound .

I also like the fact that eliminating the cats gives better milage and of course more power .

I just don't want it to sound like I'm some kid that is looking for attention, I'm in my 40's and just want it to have some attitude , any way most of the kids now are running around with rice burners and a coffee can exhaust.
Posted on: 2011/3/7 20:56

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I think large 2-in 2-out center muffler with pipes out the back would be bitchen assuming it fit well. Corvettes generally sounds like ass because the mufflers are too far back. This is why Mustangs sound so much better. The firing is actually the same.
Posted on: 2011/3/7 21:01

Guru
62 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
I think large 2-in 2-out center muffler with pipes out the back would be bitchen assuming it fit well. Corvettes generally sounds like ass because the mufflers are too far back. This is why Mustangs sound so much better. The firing is actually the same.

That would be great but is there room for it under a vette.
Posted on: 2011/3/7 21:30

Guru
62 Posts

If I delete the cats, do I delete the air pump too? Do I need the air pump at all even with a high flow cat ?
Posted on: 2011/3/7 21:38

pr0zac Re: Has any body installed this ? Exhaust question
Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

here is mine..

Posted on: 2011/3/7 23:42

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Robert...when I originally looked I didn't realize that system uses muffler. I thought it was straight pipes with elims. I apologize for any confusion there. But I still think a shop can do the same thing for you with less issues of fitment problems. Remember, no "bolt-on" exhaust system EVER "bolts-on."

As far as the air pump, you can eliminate it since you won't have the cat. It really cleans up the engine bay. Get rid of all those emissions tubes, connectors, control box. You can either get an air pump eliminator ($150) or gut the fins out of your current pump with a hammer and small chisel (free). Choice is yours, but you need something as a placeholder for the serpentine belt.

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/3/8 0:04

Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

[quote]
Vetron87 wrote:
I eliminated my cats on the 87 last year. Bought the set from Corvette Central. Took less than an hour to install. Pipes have an H style crossover to balance out exhaust pulse,

Looks pretty straight-forward if this is the setup you used, pt.# (324445).

Attach file:

jpg  yb.dll.jpg (2.28 KB)
1735_4d7576d561262.jpg 100X71 px
Posted on: 2011/3/8 0:24

BillH Re: Has any body installed this ? Exhaust question
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
But I still think a shop can do the same thing for you with less issues of fitment problems. Remember, no "bolt-on" exhaust system EVER "bolts-on."

Matthew

Sorry, Matthew, I have to disagree.
I bought the complete chambered catback from Corvette Central. The fit was excellent. I had absolutely zero problems and zero modification.
The install was a half hour on a lift. My adjustments took another half hour but I wanted the LT1 tips perfect and the eliminators at exactly the same height.
Posted on: 2011/3/8 0:24

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

Matatk wrote:
But I still think a shop can do the same thing for you with less issues of fitment problems. Remember, no "bolt-on" exhaust system EVER "bolts-on."

Matthew

I bought the complete chambered catback from Corvette Central. The fit was excellent. I had absolutely zero problems and zero modification.
The install was a half hour on a lift. My adjustments took another half hour but I wanted the LT1 tips perfect and the eliminators at exactly the same height.

Bill, I'm glad to hear that. My experience was with my magnaflow "bolt on" that took me a few hours and involved a sawzall.

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/3/8 2:23

biggrizzly Re: Has any body installed this ? Exhaust question
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Yeah, my Magnaflows were no walk in the park and I hate the way the guys at the exhaust shop angled the tip in the back. They angled them out instead of straight back.
Posted on: 2011/3/8 2:32

Guru
62 Posts

Thanks guys , every bodys input is great to hear , I love this site.

What suppliers does everybody use for their parts , Exhaust mainly but other parts too . we are all looking for deals
so this is the perfect place to let us all know.or what parts do you like the best.

Thanks
Posted on: 2011/3/8 23:45

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

RobertT wrote:
If I delete the cats, do I delete the air pump too? Do I need the air pump at all even with a high flow cat ?

The air pump still provides air to the headers during warmup. So without the airpump, it will pollute a little more, but it won't show up on a smog test which is done with the car warmed up.

My air pump is gutted and I have no air to the cat and it passes the sniffer fine. The cat will burn more fuel more effectively with air, but doesn't need it unless you're trying to mask a really poor tune. In which case the cat will burn up on a regular basis.
Posted on: 2011/3/8 23:59

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

RobertT wrote:

What suppliers does everybody use for their parts , Exhaust mainly but other parts too . we are all looking for deals
so this is the perfect place to let us all know.or what parts do you like the best.

Thanks

If you want a properly fitting exhaust, I suggest getting two mandrel U bends for $20 each from summit, and pay a competent shop to fab the system on the car. They will have straight tubing and can cut and weld sections of the mandrel as needed. (Most shops won't have a mandrel bender.) Wider radius is better. This will leave you with a better fitting, performing, and cheaper system than a bolt on IMO.

Resized Image

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HOK-12260HKR/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-42394/?rtype=10

If you want a high flow cat, try Carsound (magnaflow). $60 for a single 3"!!! Maybe even have some flanges welded in for a test pipe while you're in there.
Posted on: 2011/3/9 0:15

pianoguy Re: Has any body installed this ? Exhaust question
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Quote:

flyboy wrote:
I have the "ForceII" Flowmaster cat-back. The only so called "drone" I get is if the engine is lugging. Solution, downshift. It's fine on the highway. If you like the aggressive Flowmaster rumble, go for it. Here's a recent vid. taken in the garage after a trans fluid/filter change.

Jeez, you really need to wash that pig! I saw at least one speck of dust.

Never mind, the dust was on my monitor.
Posted on: 2011/3/9 0:23

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

Matatk wrote:

Matthew

Bill, I'm glad to hear that. My experience was with my magnaflow "bolt on" that took me a few hours and involved a sawzall.

Matthew

I've also heard this from others who bought CC's syetems.

That being said, the next system someone buys from them may fit like crap, who knows?
Posted on: 2011/3/9 1:44

Ultraman Re: Has any body installed this ? Exhaust question
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14748 Posts

With the help from the Guru, my plan is to install TPiS headers into 3" magnaflow cats into a Summet X pipe and then into the stock mufflers. All 2.5 inch after the cats. Have no clue how it will sound but can always change mufflers down the road if needed. I have a good shop in town who will do the fabrication if and when I get the headers installed.

I am hoping for around 1400 bucks with everything. I did install some added heat sheilding in the tunnel while I have everything off.
Posted on: 2011/3/9 15:39

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I think dual 2.5" is too large for L98 personally. Are you certain the stock mufflers are even 2.5"?
Posted on: 2011/3/9 16:09

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
I think dual 2.5" is too large for L98 personally. Are you certain the stock mufflers are even 2.5"?

Stock L98 mufflers are 2.25 inlets
Posted on: 2011/3/9 17:10

Huskerland
14748 Posts

I know 3" is too large but I have never heard that 2.5's would be going the wrong way. The stock system is 2.25 and are not we trying to make that flow better? What up?
Posted on: 2011/3/9 18:23

Guru
62 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Quote:

RobertT wrote:

Thanks

If you want a properly fitting exhaust, I suggest getting two mandrel U bends for $20 each from summit, and pay a competent shop to fab the system on the car. They will have straight tubing and can cut and weld sections of the mandrel as needed. (Most shops won't have a mandrel bender.) Wider radius is better. This will leave you with a better fitting, performing, and cheaper system than a bolt on IMO.

Resized Image

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HOK-12260HKR/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-42394/?rtype=10

If you want a high flow cat, try Carsound (magnaflow). $60 for a single 3"!!! Maybe even have some flanges welded in for a test pipe while you're in there.

I was looking on the Carsound site Couldn't find a HF cat for $60.00 . Am I not looking in the correct place or do you have a part # ?? Thanks
Posted on: 2011/3/10 15:40

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

Ultraman wrote:
I know 3" is too large but I have never heard that 2.5's would be going the wrong way. The stock system is 2.25 and are not we trying to make that flow better? What up?

Stock system is 2.25" into a 3" cat back into 2.25" y-pipe...different than going dual 2.25" to dual 2.5"
Posted on: 2011/3/10 17:30

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

RobertT wrote:

I was looking on the Carsound site Couldn't find a HF cat for $60.00 . Am I not looking in the correct place or do you have a part # ?? Thanks

http://www.magnaflow.com/02catalytic_ ... ers/02product/49state.asp

There are multiple cats based on desired material (ie spun metallic, ceramic, etc) and based on inlet/outlet size. You have to scroll through to find your preference.

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/3/10 17:41

Guru
62 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Quote:

RobertT wrote:

http://www.magnaflow.com/02catalytic_ ... ers/02product/49state.asp

There are multiple cats based on desired material (ie spun metallic, ceramic, etc) and based on inlet/outlet size. You have to scroll through to find your preference.

Matthew

I was looking but still couldn't find one that was $60 , just thought somebody might have a part # .
Posted on: 2011/3/10 22:47

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

94109, 94009

Looks like they are about $70 now. Check ebay.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trks ... _sacat=See-All-Categories
Posted on: 2011/3/10 23:30

Guru
62 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
94109, 94009

Looks like they are about $70 now. Check ebay.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trks ... _sacat=See-All-Categories

Sorry , I was looking at msrp pricing on the magnaflow site , dealers are much better . Thanks
Posted on: 2011/3/10 23:43

jonszr1 Re: Has any body installed this ? Exhaust question
Senior Guru
Lone Pine, CA
453 Posts

Quote:

Ultraman wrote:
i think your proposed setup is going to work just fine . after we emailed back and forth about this i got in contact with the dr gas people who did a great job on my 90zr1 exhaust and they thought ,what was decide on was pretty neat .they liked the fact of the 3 in xpipe then going into the 21/2 into the stock mufflers ,they ran it on a program they have for exhausts and saw that the flow velocity was right where it need to be , i shared that you were going to do intake work next, they said that when you did the exhaust you came up with would really work best then . asked them to guess the chassis dyno improvement with just the exhaust their best guess was 15-20 rwhp and add another 5-8 hp for the exhaust when you did the intake setup . they finally said that this exhaust is ideal for your motor and the lt1-4 saying that too many guys go to a 3 in set up and would lose alot of power and tq under the curve .peak hp my be higher but that below 4700 your setup would make 15-20 hp more than a 3 in setup . and at the drag strip your setup would be 4-5 tenths faster than a 3 in . 3 in really only works in their opinion if you are making 480 rwhp or more . some may dis agree i am just passing on what they shared with me . their 21/2 setup works really well on my 425rwhp 90 zr1 trapping 121 in the 1/4 . also the side benefit of the smaller pipe is less chance of the dreaded Excedrin drone
Posted on: 2011/3/11 9:12

Huskerland
14748 Posts

I know the engine is a basic air pump that needs to get rid of the waste as fast as possible. If you go too big some back pressure is lost and that can affect performance as you stated. I know that is what happens on a Harley. We used to run drag pipes on our Sportsters for power and then learned that we could make more power with a crossover pipe and some restriction. Oh well, they sounded cool with the straight pipes.

Good stuff Brad, thanks.
Posted on: 2011/3/11 16:46

Senior Guru
Lone Pine, CA
453 Posts

sorry i dint get this to you earlier ,i have been just slammed at work lately
Posted on: 2011/3/11 22:44
i have a blast playing with my 4 babies 2 zr1s and 2 mustangs 68 coupe with a jon bennit 408 art car fully rollered c4 with a gearvendors over drive .88 mustang built by my kids with a ported lt5 and a bill boudreau blue printed zf 6 spd. with these 4 ...

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

jonszr1 wrote:
their 21/2 setup works really well on my 425rwhp 90 zr1 trapping 121 in the 1/4 . also the side benefit of the smaller pipe is less chance of the dreaded Excedrin drone

dual 2.5" isn't a small pipe for his application IMO, at least not for cat back or xpipe back.

Your 425rwhp ZR1 is probably pushing 50% more airflow than his L98.

When you put smaller pipes on, you aren't trying to get backpressure, you're trying to get scavenging. Backpressure is just a side effect.

Think about 2 systems with equal backpressure, one with large pipes and a restriction in the middle. Another with smaller pipes and no restriction. Which do you think will generate more power (assuming same backpressure)?

I'm a textbook guy, so don't listen to me, but I at least want to raise the question.
Posted on: 2011/3/12 2:29

Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Quote:

jonszr1 wrote:
their 21/2 setup works really well on my 425rwhp 90 zr1 trapping 121 in the 1/4 . also the side benefit of the smaller pipe is less chance of the dreaded Excedrin drone

dual 2.5" isn't a small pipe for his application IMO, at least not for cat back or xpipe back.

When you put smaller pipes on, you aren't trying to get backpressure, you're trying to get scavenging. Backpressure is just a side effect.

Think about 2 systems with equal backpressure, one with large pipes and a restriction in the middle. Another with smaller pipes and no restriction. Which do you think will generate more power (assuming same backpressure)?

I'm a textbook guy, so don't listen to me, but I at least want to raise the question.

O.K., I give up, is it something to do with a pressure wave?
Posted on: 2011/3/12 13:50

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

flyboy wrote:
Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Quote:

jonszr1 wrote:

O.K., I give up, is it something to do with a pressure wave?

Yes, like Kev said, the scavenging helps pull the exhaust out of the cylinder. If big pipes were "the best thing ever", everyone would be running 5 in. exhaust.

The guys who really know are the builders with a flow bench, dyno and most importantly, laps at the strip to document results.
Posted on: 2011/3/12 14:11

Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

A little math, a 2.5" pipe is about 25% bigger in area than a 2.25" pipe.
Posted on: 2011/3/12 14:37

Senior Guru
Lone Pine, CA
453 Posts

when we were trying to decide what would be best for his car. i called the guys at dr gas who did the exhaust on my 90 zr1 i shared what i thought might work, and what he ended up doing was what they suggested . the dr gas people were the ones that came up with the x pipe first and also the oval tubing used in Nascar. they really know their business. the 21/2 in pipe out will pull the exhaust out of the xpipe really well without the fear of the exhaust stacking up when it gets cooler .and the plus side of doing it this way is price . his build price of this exhaust is about 60% less than buying a cat back set up. the corsa now goes for 1100-1250. so this will give him some extra cash to pay for his daughters wedding thats coming soon.
Posted on: 2011/3/12 15:18
i have a blast playing with my 4 babies 2 zr1s and 2 mustangs 68 coupe with a jon bennit 408 art car fully rollered c4 with a gearvendors over drive .88 mustang built by my kids with a ported lt5 and a bill boudreau blue printed zf 6 spd. with these 4 ...

Huskerland
14748 Posts

It will be run on the dyno to see what kind of gain we get. I plan on running the stock cat back so I will go from the long tube headers to 3 inch cats to a 2.5 inch X pipe and on back to the stock cat back and stock mufflers.

Brad I went with the 2.5" X pipe for the smaller size so it fit in the tunnel better. I will have pics of it all when we get it installed. Wedding plans are moving forward and I am writing some checks.

Sorry if we are jacking the original thread, but the exhaust debate is a hot topic on the guru.
Posted on: 2011/3/12 19:05

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

The only purpose of oval tubing is to gain ground clearance, so I don't see what Nascar has to do with anything.

Anyhow I think the tits setup for a L98 would be tri-Y headers, generally which leave with a 2.5", then run these into a Y pipe into a single oval stainless tube, straight out the back.

There'd be a removable test pipe after the Y for a single 3" high flow cat for emissions or muffler, or either for quieting it down a bit. The single 3" oval tubing is actually 2-1/8" tall. For a higher revving car, a 3.5" could be used.

This would be the lightest and best setup for a street driven C4 IMO. Remove the spare tire and tuck it up and come straight out the center in back, through the bumper and rivet a stainless flange around the hole for looks. If you wanted an electric cutout you could run it wide open out one of the exhaust openings in the rear bumper with cutout and the other side muffled.

I see zero benefit of an X pipe over a Y pipe. The back wall of an x pipe looks like nothing more than a restriction to me. Once the exhaust pulses are combined, dividing them again does nothing but get you more exhaust tips and dead weight. I would guess the origin of an X pipe was a simple way of adding a crossover to an existing true dual system.
Posted on: 2011/3/12 19:44

Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

Here is a picture of a "zero loss" system for an '86 'vette with a 700 HP small block by David Vizard. If I read it right, the engine doesn't "see" anything behind the resonator box yet it is quiet enough for the street because of the mufflers.
Question: is the resonator on the LT1 exhaust just an empty drum similar to Vizard's resonator box?

Attach file:

jpg  0505phr_exh_22_z.jpg (29.81 KB)
1735_4d7bd645e7562.jpg 640X480 px
Posted on: 2011/3/12 20:24

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.