Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
249 user(s) are online (199 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  TLS
Transverse Leaf Spring

A design first used by Chevrolet in the 1963 Corvette with independent rear suspension. When centrally mounted, it function...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

NC Kid Good gosh, thats a sexy fan!
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

http://www.dewitts.com/pages/productdetail.asp?ProdID=428

Compared to my stock fan, that thing is gorgeous and apparently according to Dewitts, it kicks the stock fans ass. I was eventually....and I mean deep in the future upgrade to that radiator but wow, I saw that fan and haha...I may have to hide the Credit Card.....

Anyone know anything about it? Im just curious, what makes it so much more powerful?

It intrigues me how this technology is so benefiical and here it is for us NOW but the engineers...sucked....I know all about the emissions and the hot running motor but that is irrelevant. It just amazes me how this technology is so available.

Seriously think about it. If you took two new engines. Put this fan in vs a stock fan and ran them both hard. It only makes sense for the dewitts to make the engine last longer vs stock....Id like to know more about the motor that powers the fan. Then again, if it's more powerful, does it wear out faster? I might email dewitts to satisfy my curiosity but I still want members thoughts because they are still in the biz for the money.....
Posted on: 2011/3/15 23:14
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Matatk Re: Good gosh, thats a sexy fan!
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

This "technology" has been around for years. It's called a bigger fan. It's far from necessary on a stock motor. Many people do the Lincoln Mark IV fan upgrade, which is a high cfm fan as well. It's not plug n play like the Dewitt's, but a lot cheaper if you can do the work.

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/3/15 23:19

bogus Re: Good gosh, thats a sexy fan!
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

here is my problem... if you get that fan, and the motor fails, where do you get a replacement?
Posted on: 2011/3/15 23:46

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

WW7 Re: Good gosh, thats a sexy fan!
Senior Guru
Almost Heaven WV
268 Posts

The guy at the Dewitts booth last year told me that the Dewitts fan used a "Spal" motor to power there fans. You should be able to get a replacement from Dewitts or SPAL should it ever fail. SPAL is a very large company that supplys alot of auto makers, and is recognized as one of the most reliable fan motors on the market...Also to the OP, the Dewitts fan won't make your car run cooler, it will just cool it down faster. Other things have to be changed for your engine to run at a lower temperture.. Im using a Dewitts fan in my 383, along with there radiator and a 180 degree thermostat, I also had Mick Stevens change the chip in my car to turn the fan on at 200 degrees instead of the stock 228 degrees. This is a very efficient combination that keeps my motor cooler, cools it down faster, and also keeps the under hood tempertures alot lower because of all the extra air its moving out of the engine bay..I recommend this setup to anyone that wants to have a cooler running engine..My engine now stays between (200 degrees -fan on) and (185 degrees-fan off)..WW
Posted on: 2011/3/16 0:10

CentralCoaster Re: Good gosh, thats a sexy fan!
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Those blades look like they'll be noisier than hell. But I guess that's a trade-off.
Posted on: 2011/3/16 0:34

Ultraman Re: Good gosh, thats a sexy fan!
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14751 Posts

Which brings to mind a question, should I be running a 180 degree thermostat on my stock L98. Just asking.....
Posted on: 2011/3/16 0:35

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

WW7 Re: Good gosh, thats a sexy fan!
Senior Guru
Almost Heaven WV
268 Posts

Quote:

Ultraman wrote:
Which brings to mind a question, should I be running a 180 degree thermostat on my stock L98. Just asking.....

Won't do any good just changing the thermostat, you have to change the fan on, fan off, tempertures to make it run at a lower temperture..Just changing the thermostat will only make it open sooner, the car won't run any cooler in the summer.Your stock thermostat is a 195 degree...WW
Posted on: 2011/3/16 0:42

Huskerland
14751 Posts

Thanks Wayne. Get Andy to give you your Guru badge, your not a newb anymore.
Posted on: 2011/3/16 1:00

bam Re: Good gosh, thats a sexy fan!
Senior Guru
missouri
250 Posts

Won't a cooler t-stat open sooner (at lower temp) when the car is running down the road and the fans are not required thus letting the engine actually run cooler some of the time, just not when the fans are required?
Posted on: 2011/3/16 1:48

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

bam wrote:
Won't a cooler t-stat open sooner (at lower temp) when the car is running down the road and the fans are not required thus letting the engine actually run cooler some of the time, just not when the fans are required?

It will open earlier, but that doesn't necessarily affect the running temperature of the engine once at operating temp. There might be a slight difference at speed on a cooler day, but a hot day you won't really notice. The motor will still cause heat from combustion at the same rate regardless of when the stat opens (within reason, of course).
Posted on: 2011/3/16 2:01

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

bam wrote:

bam, the tstat only dictates the engine operating temp on a cool day, or when it counts the least. like when you're cruising down the highway not needing the fans. But that's not the part we're concerned about.

The fan setting determines the temp you'll peak at while sitting in traffic and idling. Above 200F, the 160, 180, 195 stats are all wide open and no longer in the equation.
Posted on: 2011/3/16 6:10

Senior Guru
missouri
250 Posts

Thats one of the things I want to get changed when I get a new tune, lower the temp at which the fans come on, 225 seems kinda high, 195 seems more like it.
Posted on: 2011/3/16 14:40

BillH Re: Good gosh, thats a sexy fan!
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

bam wrote:
Thats one of the things I want to get changed when I get a new tune, lower the temp at which the fans come on, 225 seems kinda high, 195 seems more like it.

Your car, your decision.

LT1's are designed to run a little hotter that the L98 or other SBCs.

My 92 runs all day at 194 (198 pulling a mountain) and it doesn't matter if it's 30 degrees or 105 out.

I got concerned when I first got it and put a manual switch on one of the fans. Since I finally realized that the temps on a LT1 will be higher, I hardly ever use the switch. If the car heats up to 210 at a traffic light, it will start cooling down in a quarter mile.
Posted on: 2011/3/16 14:56

Huskerland
14751 Posts

So in the older cars were the belt ran the fan the fan would always run but it would kick on when the temp got over 180 if that was where the thermostat opened. My assumption in the old days was the thermostat opens at 180 then the car would work to maintain that 180 temp. No computers back then so what told the fan to kick in or just freewheel as the work load on the engine changed.

The fans and thermostat are still a big part of the equation but the computer tells the fan when to run and when not to and for how long, right? The thermostat opens at 180 or 195 and the fan would have to be set to maintain that temp is what you guys are saying.
Posted on: 2011/3/16 16:13

SpectatorRacing Re: Good gosh, thats a sexy fan!
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

I've been running mine at well over 220 for years. Sometimes approaching 240...I usually start to get worried at that point, but not enough to slow down. Never had a hint of a gasket leak or failure in the last 6 years of abuse.

But everyone should definately get 160* t-stats because hot rods in the 60's used them and they're better.
Posted on: 2011/3/16 17:08

BillH Re: Good gosh, thats a sexy fan!
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Ultraman wrote:
So in the older cars were the belt ran the fan the fan would always run but it would kick on when the temp got over 180 if that was where the thermostate opened. My assumption in the old days was the thermostate opens at 180 then the car would work to maintain that 180 temp. No computers back then so what told the fan to kick in or just freewheel as the work load on the engine changed.

The fans and thermostat are still a big part of the equation but the computer tells the fan when to run and when not to and for how long, right? The thermostat opens at 180 or 195 and the fan would have to be set to maintain that temp is what you guys are saying.

In the 50's, the belt driven fans ran all the time, in the mid 60's thermal clutches were put on the fans, they free wheeled until reaching a set temp then kicked in fully.

The ONLY purpose of the thermostat is to warm up the motor faster.
The 180/195 temp is best for emmissions and motor wear.

Today's fans are set to come on when the temps get too hot, not to maintain a temp on the road.
Posted on: 2011/3/16 17:17

rklessdriver Re: Good gosh, thats a sexy fan!
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

I can tell you that my 92 with the current engine runs 172F going down the road 70mph. It will get up to 200ish at lights or sitting in the horrid traffic we have around here (the greater Wash DC area) and soon as both fans cycle on it drops down to 172F in about 35-40 seconds. It will cycle like this all day long as long as I don't get too close to the bumper of the car infront of me.

The hottest I have ever had it get was 210F and this was last summer on a 95+F day. I had been sitting in traffic for over an hour on I95 South with the AC running. I got kinda concerend - turned the AC off, rolled the windows down and the temp dropped down to what I normally see after a few mins.

My car has a stock plastic tanked Harrison GM replacement radiator (bought it from the dealer back in 2006), Mezier elect waterpump, Hypertech 160 thermostat and of course re programmed ECM for the engine and fans. The stock stuff seems perfectly adequate for street and drag strip duty, even with an engine like mine. If I go road racing I might need to upgrade to a big radiator but I'd give it a try as is first.

Will
Posted on: 2011/3/16 17:21

1972 Corvette. LS5 454 BBC with M20 4 speed.
Best Pass - Doing good to just pass a gas station.

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I don't get concerned until it gets past 238F and the secondary fan is struggling to bring temps down.

The fan on and off temperatures need to be at least 10F above the tstat rating to safely prevent the fan from fighting the thermostat and running too often.
Posted on: 2011/3/17 4:38

Senior Guru
missouri
250 Posts

I thought one of the reasons for the mobil 1 oil being required in the LT1 was the high engine temps, the high temps were not there for performance gains or long engine life but for emissions? Is that right? Few other engines are allowed to run so "hot". Especially race cars are allowed to "cool down" after a race because heat soaks into the intake and reduces performance?? (reduces performance a little but still when you are racing it might mean the diff. between a win or loss)
The purpose of the t-stat is to keep the engine "warm" but if you had a 240 deg. t-stat then even going down the hwy your motor would never run below 240 deg.
Posted on: 2011/3/17 15:49

NEVRL8T Re: Good gosh, thats a sexy fan!
Guru
Little Rock, AR
74 Posts

Intresting rklessdriver, you turned the A/C off to cool down the engine. Why not turn the A/C on high? Then both fans are working, cooling the temp quicker.
Posted on: 2011/5/1 4:22

bogus Re: Good gosh, thats a sexy fan!
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I don't know about later C4s, cause they have a parallel/series relay thing going on that controls the fan speeds, but, on the earlier LT1s, they simply turn on or off.
Posted on: 2011/5/1 6:25

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

NEVRL8T wrote:
Intresting rklessdriver, you turned the A/C off to cool down the engine. Why not turn the A/C on high? Then both fans are working, cooling the temp quicker.

AFAIK that works in most cases. Might be due to his modified motor? I dunno.

A/C system is giving off heat at the condensor, so by turning off the a/c he was removing that heat generation from in front of the radiator/inside the engine bay.

Here's an interesting thread:

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/general ... driving-probably-why.html

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/5/3 3:10

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.