Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
309 user(s) are online (253 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  SuperRam Intake System
Originally designed by John Lingenfelter at LPE and manufactured by Accell, the SuperRam was the 1st aftermarket intake to improve upon the stock lon...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

BrianCunningham Blower build
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

I decided to post my blower build-up project over here.

This put me into SCCA StreetMod2 for autocrossing.
It's also going to be a terror at the drag strip and road courses

:D

Quote:
qwiketz;
Hi guys. I have a vortech supercharger kit for sale that fits 92-96 vettes with the lt1 or lt4 engine. It is a bolt on kit and you are able to retain your ac and all of the accessories. It uses the S trim compressor which is CARB legal. Price is $2250 and has been dropped from $2600.

The kit is highly upgraded. If you’re serious about getting a kit that works out the gate, this is it. You will not have to worry about belt slip or bleeding off boost from leaky bypass valves with this kit. The upgrades are:

- vortech mini race bypass valve (approx $250)
- 7 rib upgrade from 6 ribs
- Bracket modified for dual idler pullies which give more belt wrap ($750)
- Brand new tensioners (cost $110 from ford)
- Larger diameter inlet tubing (4” compared to 3”)
- Homemade anit rotation valve(better directs the air flow to the compressor)
- Discharge tube is drilled for dual alcohol injection nozzles
- Huge k&n air filter

All of these things are things that you’d want to do if you want to get good power out of the vortech kit. The stock kit is prone to belt slip and the stock kit doesn’t allow easy belt changes. The stock kit requires about 3-4 hours to change the blower belt and with this kit, it can be done in 15 minutes. I was getting belt slip at 6 psi with the stock setup and the new setup included here allowed for 10 psi of boost reliably and without slip. I have the kit instructions and all the little bolts bagged up.

To complete the kit, you’ll need a 255lph in tank fuel pump ($75), spark plugs a heat range colder and gapped tighter, bigger fuel injectors, and a tune to handle the spark needs and fuel needs. If you need injectors, I can offer to sell the injectors on my car which are 38’s. I’m pulling them off to install 60’s.

If you’re looking for a night and day performance difference, then this is it. This kit will reliably work on pump gas with alcohol injection and make excellent power. Even on junky 91 octance California gas, I never had a problem with detonation.

With all this work done to the kit, you’re probably asking why I’m selling it. Well, I’m selling it because I just upgraded to a vortech ysi compressor with custom bracketry and discharge tubing. Let me know if you have any questions, technical or otherwise. I can be reached at russriggs@yahoo.com . The kit is in CA and if you're local, you're more then welcome to come by and check everything out. Here's some pics of everything:

everything installed:
Resized Image

the head unit
Resized Image

here's the bracket with dual idler pullies. the tensioner pictured has been replaced since this photo was taken
Resized Image

more parts of the kit
Resized Image

here's everything else. Not pictured is the polished discharge tube that connects the blower to the throttle body. Also not shown is the polished bypass valve.

Resized Image

Forum member cuisinart is doing the port work. He found a machinist out there that does so much volume, he can get me a complete balanced rotating assembly rods, pistons and crank for ANY stroke at a great price.

Looks like it will be a blown 383!

More toys, $300 for a B&B 3in exhaust!

Quote:
Brian Cuningham flew out to hang out for a few days to cehck out some parts weve picked up for his build and hang out here to get out of the Denver cold. My place looks like an auto parts store. Heads, intake, blower, motor parts, and now a B&B exhaust a (new) member andrew_huh brought over.

cuisinart

Resized Image

More engine plots, as a 350 and as a 383

Sure feels like it :lol:

I can't believe how things are coming together for this build so quick! :willy:

Latest graph

Looks like 383 is definitely the way to go :thumbs:

Quote:
First chance I've had to look back at this, been to busy:crazy:
I worked on the model a bit more, dropped the head flow down a little because it looked high compared to most posted numbers.
Also pushed on the Vortech model after running some chevy and ford combinations I found posted.
Anyway here is a 350 vs. 383, everthing the same as the last model except a little less head flow and a different VS-1 model, using 290 cam (4.03 bore, 3.75 st, 6 inch rod on the 383)...
Resized Image

SuperL98

I had Ron port the stock heads I bought.
That way we have a record of everything done.

They had to clean the heads before flowing them,
so 84k miles worth of crud wouldn't clog up the flow bench.

Quote:
Brian Cunninghams heads freshly soda blasted and flowed...
Very similar to the #s pulled off the web, never hurts to double check it.

Ron

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Heads and intake will be ported and the flowed (again) seaprately and together. Just for reference. Odd intake port shape.....
Ive seen #s printed out here but no charts yet, just curious.

Resized Image

Thanks to Ron for getting that done, man they cleaned up nice :thumbs:

This will both end of lot of debates, and start many more.

peaked at .400 lift!

Makes you wonder about putting big rockers on stock heads. :crazy:

Thanks!

Ron started porting my heads yesterday.
Here's an intake port.
Keep in mind that these are a work in progress, and he hasn't finished the port yet.
Resized Image
Resized Image

He's even porting the oil return holes for me :thumbs:
Resized Image
checkout how the stock guides are NOT centered in the casting
Still trying to figure out what that step on the backside is. :skep:
Resized Image

Notice Ron managed not to nick the stock seats when he did all that work!
Posted on: 2008/1/1 22:36
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus RE:Blower build
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

700hp, no waiting!

it's gonna be bad ass when it's done!
Posted on: 2008/1/1 22:40

sliding RE:Blower build
Senior Guru
Zagreb, Croatia
326 Posts

I'll be watching this as I also plan to add SC in near future.
I allways enyoj when corvette is being moded for racing.

Good luck with project!
Posted on: 2008/1/2 11:03

BrianCunningham RE:Blower build
Senior Guru
7763 Posts

Update:

Ron convinced me that for the $ I'm spending that I'm better off going to a casting better than stock. I went ahead and ordered up AFR's new Eliminator 195 castings for the LT4. :thumbs: You can make pretty good peak intake #'s with the stock casting, but there's not way you can ever make it flow on the exhaust like that. Which on a supercharged engine will be the choke point.

Resized Image

[url]http://www.airflowresearch.com/195sbc_lt4.php[/url]

Next Ron will see if we can modify an LT1 intake or pick up a used LT4 or perhaps Edelbrocks new intake.

I'll also talked to Tony @ AFR and I'm going to have him make me a custom cam grind. Getting the cam grind for these aftermarket heads will be critical.

-----Original Message-----
Subject: they're heeeeeeeeeeere.....

Dude, these things are gorgeous...Doesnt look like a CNC'ed head, they look like more of a balls out race head seriously. The exhaust ports look absolutely sick on this thing.

Ron
Posted on: 2008/2/18 15:49

TommyT-Bone RE:Blower build
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Resized Image

Me like.
Posted on: 2008/2/18 15:56

LD85 RE:Blower build
Master Guru
Indianapolis, Indiana
784 Posts

Great post, I want to do this next fall
Posted on: 2008/2/21 23:32

BrianCunningham Re: Blower build
Senior Guru
7763 Posts

In case your wondering how I'm going to get all this power to the groud.

I just got back from Tom's (astock165 ) place, picked up my rear suspension links with spherical rod ends

Nice :thumbs:

All top quality stuff. It's nice when an engineer works on this stuff.

the for sale thread:

[url]http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?p=1566463543#post1566463543[/url]

[QUOTE=astock165;1566319940]I have these same kits on my 93 coupe and have been very happy with the results. The rear end stays planted much better than when I had the stock aluminum links and poly bushings. I have had great results at both autocross and at the track.

I developed this kit with Gary from Hardbar and although [U]there are other kits on the market we both feel this kit is superior[/U] in many ways. The bodies are knurled for easy grip and adjustment, even when on the car. The ends of the links are slotted like a collet and use Omega style clamps to lock the rod ends in place and [B][U]eliminates the jam nuts[/U][/B], which can come loose. All you need to fully tighten the rod ends in place is a 1/4" 12 point socket. No need for 2 large wrenches to go in tight spaces like with jam nuts.

I have sold five kits so far and have gotten some great feedback from the buyers. I have more parts on order and will be able to ship in about a week.

The kits are as follows:

Red anodized aluminum turnbuckle links with steel bodied, Teflon lined spherical rod ends. All components are [B]American made[/B].:flag:

Nuts & bolts are all Grade 8 hardware.

All necessary spacers and washers are provided.

Trailing Arm Kit: [B]$350 + $20 S&H[/B]
[IMG]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a196/turban65/BMStrailingarmkit1.jpg[/IMG]

Camber Rod Kit: [B]$225 + $10 S&H[/B]
[IMG]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a196/turban65/BMSradiusrodkit2.jpg[/IMG]

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask. You can PM me through the forum or use my email below.

The easiest method of payment right now is PayPal, but I will discuss other methods if you prefer.[/QUOTE]

Here's a review from 'another forum':

OK then

[url]http://www.corvette-guru.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4507&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=0[/url]

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Finally got everyone off my back and got some time to install these.

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Car feels great. It really freed up the rear suspension. The car actually dropped a bit due to less binding, yet I did not adjust the ride height at all. I scraped my exhaust for the first time after backing out of my steep driveway. (Car is lowered.) I can articulate the rear knuckle easily by hand when the car is on jackstands.

Going over speed bumps, I hear the front end squeak and bounch with the poly bushings. Rear end is quiet as a mouse and transmits less to the chassis.

Took it in the twisties, but improvements there are going to be impossible to quantify without lap times.

I don't know when my next track day is, but I'll have to repeat a track that I've been to recently and compare. May not be until a few months from now when it cools off.

Everyone (without these installed) seems to think they'll ride very rough.

If anything, I found the opposite to be true. Now my car has never rode very smooth, but with the new Bilsteins and these installed, it's as good as ever. I had poly bushings on prior to this, and petrified stock rubber bushings on before that.

I'm not convinced how spherical rod ends can hurt ride quality, when you can easily articulate the suspension by hand, that means the suspension can react quickly to an uneven road surface. The stock pieces in their bound up state are very stiff and hard to move, and so they would transfer more energy directly to the frame, not allowing the suspension to soak it up.

I'll get pics this evening.
Posted on: 7/18 14:06

Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:
Yes, but with the stock C4's it's even worse since it's not a ball joint, but just a rubber bushed cylindrical hole, that really should just be used for 2d movements.

Here's a recent pic of my stock suspension, you can see the old stock rubber bushings binding up so much that they are being forced out.

[IMG]http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff87/swiftwood/BayStateCorvetteClub/members/Brian%20Cunningham/upgrades/Full_droop_rear.jpg[/IMG]

Next time you have your wheels off, or it's up on a lift, check it out.

Poly bushings would actually make it worse since they take away compliance in the the off axis direction.
Posted on: 2008/7/26 21:19

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

Well, it looks like I'll be starting this build a little sooner than anticipated. While I was on the road course at NHMS, one of my front seals cut loose Since I have to tear it down anyways, I might as well put the blower on

Ron will be shipping my stuff out to me shortly.

I talked to my tuner, SloRvette, he's going to order me a custom cam, injectors and handle the tuning.

Also, when I bought my AFR's I did so for a 383 build, so they have large 65cc chambers. He said he's put a S-trim on iron LT1's with stock bottom ends and they've handled it no problem. So even though my S trim has been upgraded for more boost, with the compression lowered by the large chambered heads, I can go with the stock bottom end no problem.
Posted on: 2008/9/16 1:29

Matatk Re: Blower build
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Can't wait to see it - should be awesome! We're gonna have a set of some mean, powerful machines on this board.

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/9/16 1:55

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

The parts are all at the shipper today!

heads, spare intake, blower, cat back, MSD opti.

~400lbs of stuff!

Can hardly wait!
Posted on: 2008/9/26 17:05

bogus Re: Blower build
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

wow. this is gonna be a killer when done.

Who is building the short block? A good short block is gonna cost a mint, really. You don't want to throw good money after bad at this point. I mean, a good short block is going to be at least $7k. I think Golan is about $8500 for their blower 383 long block ($4k for the short block version). Dis chit ain't cheap, yo.

I am figuring (cause I have been thinking the same kinda thing) about $2k in rotating mass. That will need to be balanced and checked to be sure it's true and to spec. Toss in the block work, another $1k, at least.

Then comes the labour to assemble... this kinda build is not a JEGS reman, so you will want to have the bottom end blueprinted, and that is time consuming... basically, building and taking the motor apart two, possibly three times. That's gonna be another $1500.

Incendentals are another $500 or so.

Then comes the heads... that's another $2k...

And the cam... rockers, pushrods, rocker covers, oil pan... tunes...

I am guessing you won't see much change from $12k from this (including what you have already bought), on a good day. And that's going a bit conservative. At least you don't need to buy a block. Custom blocks add a lot.

Ain't horsepower grand?
Posted on: 2008/9/28 3:58

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

My ealier post ...
Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:

I talked to my tuner, SloRvette, he's going to order me a custom cam, injectors and handle the tuning.

Also, when I bought my AFR's I did so for a 383 build, so they have large 65cc chambers. He said he's put a S-trim on iron LT1's with stock bottom ends and they've handled it no problem. So even though my S trim has been upgraded for more boost, with the compression lowered by the large chambered heads, I can go with the stock bottom end no problem.
Posted on: 2008/9/28 22:51

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Stock bottom end. A stock bottom end that has how many miles? Well over 120k, I am betting... man, that's gonna last no more than 3 races.

I wonder how much of the boost is going to end up past the rings?

It's one thing to put new heads on a stock bottom end, but to do it with boost? dude... you really like living life dangerously...
Posted on: 2008/9/28 23:09

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

If it goes BOOM so what?

Just means I need to build a bottom end.

Which is what I would be doing anyways, so nothing to loose.
Posted on: 2008/9/28 23:23

cuisinartvette Re: Blower build
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Only risk your taking is getting some shrapnel up in those brand new heads.
We should take bets on this one, lol.
Posted on: 2008/9/29 1:24

Click here if your browser does not automatically redirect you.

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

We need to start a dead pool.
Posted on: 2008/9/29 1:31

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

Nah, we already have one.

BTW When is the wife's car going to get running?
Posted on: 2008/9/29 2:12

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

more than likely before this blower build is done.
Posted on: 2008/9/29 3:24

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

Dude I took this pic in 2005

[IMG]http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff87/swiftwood/BayStateCorvetteClub/members/Brian%20Cunningham/2005%20SoCal/IMG_0168.jpg[/IMG]

Mine's actaly running.
So, I could wait until, well whenever I wanted to basically.
Posted on: 2008/9/29 3:55

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

As is mine.

And her car was running in 2005. It's not my fault that the damned Miladon waterpump was a piece of shit.
Posted on: 2008/9/29 4:19

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

I was real happy to see the UPS guy today...

.... IT'S HERE!!

Photobucket

Photobucket

I forgot just how big 3in pipes really are

Photobucket

Photobucket

New MSD Opti
Photobucket
Posted on: 2008/10/3 1:32

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

My new AFR Eliminators
These things are a work of art!
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Killer springs
Photobucket

I also got Titanium retainers.

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

The BLOWER! :D
Photobucket

Upgraded drive to prevent belt slipage
Photobucket

The BOV (blow off valve)
Photobucket

Elite Guru
1782 Posts

[IMG]http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff87/swiftwood/BayStateCorvetteClub/members/Brian[/IMG]

Thats all I can see when I click on the pic and blow it up?
Hmm.
Posted on: 2008/10/3 3:00

Click here if your browser does not automatically redirect you.

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

I changed IMG to img

Let's see if the forum likes it.

If not, here's the directory
http://s242.photobucket.com/albums/ff ... unningham/blower%20build/
Posted on: 2008/10/3 3:17

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

cool.
Posted on: 2008/10/3 4:35

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

I bet you're like a kid on Christmas morning! Looks way cool.

As far as the pics not loading - it's something with photobucket, mine does the same thing. Instead of using the basic image tags, when you copy the location use the html code. That should fix it.

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/10/3 13:49

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

OK How do they look now?
Posted on: 2008/10/3 17:33

jsup Re: Blower build
Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Looks great Brian....

Hey, Bogus warned me about this, so I'll warn you.

I think I spun my rod bearing after putting the new heads on as they could not handle the extra power. Bogus warned me that was a possibility...

I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya. I hope no one has to go through what I did as a result.

Good luck, looks great!!!
Posted on: 2008/10/3 20:14

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

I may hold off and stick with the gameplan, doing a shortblock, for another reason.

I'm a contractor, I don't want to get this thing halfway torn apart, only to get called out on a contract. If I leave it together, when I get the call I can drop off the car and my parts to SloRvette, and let him have at it. It's not like I'll be driving it while I'm away.

Right now I'm fighting an oil leak. I blew a seal up at NHMS, one of the three on the front cover. I'm betting on the mechanical drive for the WP which I left in when I put the Electric WP on. It's OK for the street, I just can't race it anymore till it's fixed. Since I need to tear it down anyways...
Posted on: 2008/10/3 21:18

dan0617 Re: Blower build
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

I think your stock bottom will survive with some boost. I am still running a hsr intake, reworked 113 heads and a cc503 cam, along with a 175 shot of nitrous, on a 100,000 mi. 1989 stock bottom end. Many other mods. Spinning it to 6200 and it is surviving. Granted I only spray it once or twice a month but it lives on. I was spraying a 125 shot but figured 25hp worth was blowing by the rings so I upped it to a 175 shot. See, problem solved!
Posted on: 2008/10/3 23:16

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

Guys,

I just got off the phone with my builder.

I misunderstood him

He was talking about putting the blower on or heads & cam not both

I'd just like to publicly appologize to him for misunderstanding.

I'm just glad he's still interested in doing this project.

So, looks like I'll be doing a shortbock.
Posted on: 2008/10/7 22:25

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

It turns out a stock LT1 intake will work with the new AFR's
So I'm just going to use the spare one I have

[QUOTE]rklessdriver:Brian,
Here is the pic from Nolands engine thread.

This is a Fel Pro stock replacement LT1 gasket (PN1284) up to his AFR 195 Comp Ports . I actually used this Fel Pro LT1 gasket (added just <.060 to the roof) to port match his LT4 intake and when we put it on the motor the port alignment was perfect.

[IMG]http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn162/BlackHarleyMan/96%20Vette/383%20Build/DSC00971.jpg[/IMG]

We then put the GM "LT4 Off Road" gasket (777) up to them to show the difference.

[IMG]http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn162/BlackHarleyMan/96%20Vette/383%20Build/DSC00973.jpg[/IMG]

Now in the end since Noland had an LT4 intake which has more sealing surface above the intake port I just used the GM LT4 777 gasket for assy. It expidited assy (no gasket trimming) and Noland didn't seem to keen on me taking a pocket knife to his brand new gaskets if I didn't have to...

Another option is SCE, which has a few different LTX gaskets (that have different port heights) and you could get one that didn't require any trimming on the 195's. I had to go with SCE intake gaskets on my 210's.

Reguardless LT1 intake and gaskets on the 195 Comp Ports is easily done.
Will[/QUOTE]
Posted on: 2008/11/22 19:06

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

Well I just made by shortblock builder happy.

I got the final specs for my engine, so I just gave him my credit card #

Going with a 9:1 compression, which may seem a little low, but my tuner thinks I may max out the S-trim, so that will leave me room to send it back and have it rebuilt as a T-trim.

Going with a 5.7 rod, and not a 6, for the dwell time at the top.

I am going with an internal balance on this, so a zero balance flywheel.

With that in mind I'm getting the McLeod street twin clutch with the detachable weights.

It will be a custom Nitrous/Blower cam 220/236 duration.

Here's the shop I'm using, thanks to Cuisinartvette for finding it.
http://qmpracing.com/
Posted on: 2009/3/6 18:45

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

I got some pics from my machinist of the block being worked on.

Quote:

To: swiftwood@aol.com
Sent: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 3:46 pm
Subject: Re: LT1 383 shortblock for a blower

Hey brian
i am working on a new program for the main caps on your block
instead of using a stepped cap like everyone else
i want to use a flat cap that way you would get a better register in the block
its taking a little longer than i expected but the result will be far greater
Thanks
Brad

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Posted on: 2009/3/30 21:05

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

More pics of my block being work on
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Posted on: 2009/4/14 13:37

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Very cool. Time frame for completion?

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/4/15 1:47

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

Completion date?

Hopefully before the season is over

Should be getting the engine done soon.

Then there's getting the drysump system all plumbed.

and the suspension rebuilt
Posted on: 2009/4/15 13:26

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

More info
Quote:
Sent: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 6:38 pm
Subject: RE: They want to know how long to build a motor

Hey Brian

I decided to machine another 3/16 key in the crank 180 deg from the orig

This way you have 2 keys holding that hub

That will be much stonger that way especially in a boost situation

Thanks

Brad
Posted on: 2009/4/21 0:05

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

damn. That motor is being done right. Whatever it costs, it's going to be SO worth it.
Posted on: 2009/4/21 1:47

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

Shortblock's done!

Quote:
Sent: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 5:17 pm
Subject: Engine

Hey Brian

Thanks for your business!

This engine came out really good I think you will like it

I was explaining the whole main cap issue with you

When people normally convert a 2-bolt block to a 4-bolt they normally use a stepped cap to fit in the stock 2-bolt registers

The problem with that is you have to have a .002-.005 air gap under the ends where the extra bolts go through so you are definitely

Flexing the cap the way we do it is that we machine a whole new register in the block so you have the bottom of the main cap completely flat now you have full contact with the block not just the step.

This way is harder to do (if you do not have a cnc machine) that’s why most shops use the step cap they just bolt them on and drill it with a drill bushing and tap it. I am not knocking that way, hell I used to do the same thing. Now we have a better way of doing it so we pass that on to our customers. Our shop is outfitted with the latest in machinery. I pride myself in having the best equipment available. So we can build a better engine for you.

Thanks again

Brad

BTW normally you hit the water jackets when you do his he didn't

Drainbacks for the AFR's
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

EDIT:
BTW He couldn't make the S.C.A.T. crank balance with the 5.7 rods so he went ahead an upgraded me to a Lunati crank no charge.
You can see the heavy metal it took to balance it.
Posted on: 2009/4/26 16:34

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Very cool. From following the thread it seems like this guy does top notch work.

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/4/26 16:42

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

more toys for the car

I'm buying some Penske double adjustable coil overs off another forum member.

I know their good shocks as they used to be on Gary's (Hardbar) car.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/autoc ... rings.html#post1570239963

Quote:

gkmccready;
For sale are a car set of HardbarUSA/LEMD Penske 8100 double adjustable shocks. I bought these shocks from Gary Hoffman @ HardbarUSA directly off his C6Z. They are suitable for all C5 and C6 applications. I am asking $2500 (plus shipping) for the entire set up.

They have recently been back to HardbarUSA/LEMD for a checkup on the dyno and to have a couple of seals replaced (preventive maintenance).

Pic of complete set up:
Resized Image

Pic of the rears, note the Mallett upper plate:
Resized Image

Pic of the fronts:
Resized Image

Pic of rear bump & rebound adjusters:
Resized Image

Pic of front rebound adjusters:
Resized Image

These are a steal at this price. 39% off what the new equivalent (Penske 8300s) would cost you! This package works great, street or track. If you've been on this forum any length of time you've seen numerous people rave about them!
Posted on: 2009/5/28 14:03

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

The engine looks AWESOME!

What heavy metal did he use to balance the motor with? Mallory metal? Tungsten?

I wonder what was out of whack, weight wise? The rods? Pistons? Was the crank that far out?

What clutch are you using? I would look at the RAM with the hydraulic throwout bearing.
Posted on: 2009/5/28 14:36

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

It's Mallory

My tuner wanted a set of 5.7in rods, instead of 6.0 which a lot of people do for a 383. It should give it better dwell time. That's what made the balancing tricky.

I bought a McLeod dual disk unit with an AL flywheel.

Yes it will be louder than stock, but something tells me I won't hear it much
Posted on: 2009/5/28 16:18

pianoguy Re: Blower build
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Looks great, Brian!!
Posted on: 2009/5/28 16:27

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

Now that I have a truck for a DD my buildup has started

He's going to port match the intake to the AFR's

BTW the stock LT1 intake gasket fit the AFR's
Posted on: 2009/11/16 14:40

MK 82 Re: Blower build
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
439 Posts

My how time flies.
Posted on: 2010/3/29 0:39

Elite Guru
1782 Posts

6 in rods give it more dwell

Tell him to get to work on that thing
Posted on: 2010/3/29 15:28

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

Quote:

DropTopCE wrote:

My how time flies.

PM deleted

seriously, get a life
Posted on: 2010/3/29 17:05

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.