Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
340 user(s) are online (272 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Automatic Slip Regulation
Also known as ASR; ie traction control.

Standard on all C4s starting in 1992....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
« 1 (2)
 Register To Post

j3studio Re: Thinking Of Driving The 1985 Back And Forth Across The US Next Year ...
Elite Guru
Western Philadelphia Burbs
4247 Posts

Quote:

captmike13 wrote:
The best replacement would be the Banski system.

Oh, that's gorgeous ...

... wondering why I've never heard of it.
Posted on: 2013/7/24 21:52

BillH Re: Thinking Of Driving The 1985 Back And Forth Across The US Next Year ...
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

j3studio wrote:
Quote:

captmike13 wrote:
The best replacement would be the Banski system.

Oh, that's gorgeous ...

... wondering why I've never heard of it.

Search it here - lotta posts.
Posted on: 2013/7/24 22:19

captmike13 Re: Thinking Of Driving The 1985 Back And Forth Across The US Next Year ...
Elite Guru
Hillsboro Mo
2165 Posts

<<<<<<<<<<< Banski is a sponsor.
Posted on: 2013/7/24 23:16

captmike13@yahoo.com
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

teebee Re: Thinking Of Driving The 1985 Back And Forth Across The US Next Year ...
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12364 Posts

The Great American race came through here a few years back. I don't know if they had "chase cars" or not.
Posted on: 2013/7/24 23:45

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

Ultraman Re: Thinking Of Driving The 1985 Back And Forth Across The US Next Year ...
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14738 Posts

Quote:

teebee wrote:
The Great American race came through here a few years back. I don't know if they had "chase cars" or not.

I was reading up on it today and its now called the Great Race but has changed hands a lot of times and I guess there was a race in 2012 but not one this year....

It was a big deal back in the 90's when they stopped here for the night and the whole town turned out...had some cool cars that were going coast to coast...
Posted on: 2013/7/25 0:29

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

GRIS Re: Thinking Of Driving The 1985 Back And Forth Across The US Next Year ...
Elite Guru
OKLAHOMA
7645 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
E10 is fine... Is E85 that common that E10 is hard to find in your area?

NO, IT'S EVERYWHERE. PURE GASOLINE, A LA CARRY NATION, IS PRETTY COMMON HERE AND IS WHAT I PUT IN MY VETTES. HAVE READ THAT'S NOT SO IN OTHER AREAS. I THINK YOU CAN GET E85 IN TULSA. BIG CITY DECADENCE. ETHANOL SHOULD BE FOR INTERNAL USE ONLY.
Posted on: 2013/7/25 0:40

j3studio Re: Thinking Of Driving The 1985 Back And Forth Across The US Next Year ...
Elite Guru
4247 Posts

Quote:

captmike13 wrote:

I knew that: just didn't have any idea what they did. Gorgeous stuff - I'm just not sure I'm willing to vary that much from stock.
Posted on: 2013/7/25 20:34

bogus Re: Thinking Of Driving The 1985 Back And Forth Across The US Next Year ...
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

j3studio wrote:
Quote:

captmike13 wrote:

I knew that: just didn't have any idea what they did. Gorgeous stuff - I'm just not sure I'm willing to vary that much from stock.

the charm? save the old bits... it's non-destructive.
Posted on: 2013/7/25 20:54

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

bogus Re: Thinking Of Driving The 1985 Back And Forth Across The US Next Year ...
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

Ultraman wrote:
Doubt that's going to happen to Lauren.....being all restored and all....which reminds me of a race that comes thru here every so often with old Model A's and other 20's and 30's cars and they are all driving them across the country in a big group.....course they probably do all have trailers hooked to their Newell Diesel Pushers....that are following them around.......The Great American Race I think it is.....

Lauren is a survivor, not restored.

See the attachment, John...

Attach file:

pdf CE Banski Article Compressed.pdf Size: 493.24 KB; Hits: 145
Posted on: 2013/7/28 21:12

screamin_conure Re: Thinking Of Driving The 1985 Back And Forth Across The US Next Year ...
Senior Guru
Northwest Indiana
346 Posts

This is a really great thread. I've often had the same moments of doubt about my '92. So much so, that we actually cancelled our trip to the NCM last summer, and I'm only about 5 hours away. But yet, I drive this car almost daily during the summer months, back and forth to work through some of Chicago's tougher neighborhoods, across some of the crappiest roads and heaviest traffic in the nation, to numerous club events and on long pleasure cruises, and she's never let me down. Granted, the car is in exceptional condition and is well maintained. I try to stay on top of everything. It starts with a tap of the key, idles as nicely as an old LT1 can idle, accelerates without stumbles or hesitation, stops with authority, tracks straight, is free of squeaks and rattles, and is without a doubt the most comfortable car I currently own. The Corvette is GM's flagship vehicle, is built in its very own dedicated assembly facility, and gets the lion's share of GM's engineering effort.

Yet, when I'm faced with the prospect of a trip to a destination more than 100 miles away, I look at it and see only a 20+ year old GM product that was built during a time when the company was fat and sloppy. And that's when my stomach starts getting a bit queasy.

Why is that?
Posted on: 2013/7/29 18:09

Ultraman Re: Thinking Of Driving The 1985 Back And Forth Across The US Next Year ...
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14738 Posts

I have thought that same thing about my older Corvettes I have had...and part of it is that sooner or later it's going to breakdown feeling that you can get. It does't bug you much in a hundred mile radius of home but 1000 miles out in the middle of Utah somewhere what you gonna do......

The other thing is and I have put some thought into this, is that if you are online a lot on various Corvette forums all we ever see is the problems that folks are having...every day several someone's has a C4 or other gen they can't figure out what is wrong with it.......and soon you get to thinking...hell these cars are a breakdown waiting to happen. You never hear much about the guy with 140K that hasn't had a bit of trouble.....like BillH...

A lot of trouble in my opinion is some of the mods that guys try to make and do themselves and sometimes those don't always work out and they take a lot of time to get them reliable again....but reality is the older a vehicle gets the more prone it becomes to letting you down somewhere......that's all cars and trucks not just Corvettes....

I don't worry about setting out in my C6 but it can leave me high and dry also but the odds are in my favor for now....anyway that's my 2 cents worth...
Posted on: 2013/7/29 19:43

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

BillH Re: Thinking Of Driving The 1985 Back And Forth Across The US Next Year ...
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Yea, get a trailer and take along all that's listed here.

Attach file:

jpg  trip prep.jpg (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2013/7/30 13:50

captmike13 Re: Thinking Of Driving The 1985 Back And Forth Across The US Next Year ...
Elite Guru
Hillsboro Mo
2165 Posts

Here's what we towed with ours on our vacation to NCM a couple of yrs ago from Portland OR.

Resized Image
Posted on: 2013/7/30 16:23

captmike13@yahoo.com

Elite Guru
4247 Posts

Quote:

screamin_conure wrote: This is a really great thread.

I agree - lots of things for me to think about.

Posted on: 2013/8/1 12:24

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

John - in short, a bit of preventative maintenance, some smart upgrades and I think the car will make it.

If not, budget $1000 to trailer it home and take the train...

Posted on: 2013/8/1 14:06

SpectatorRacing Re: Thinking Of Driving The 1985 Back And Forth Across The US Next Year ...
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

If you're looking to drive across the country, isn't the whole point to have an adventure? If you just wanted to get somewhere you'd take a plane. Get AAA for the worst case scenario and set out with a bag of pepper beef jerky and some lemon/lime gatorade. Get'r done!

I have much more fear of driving the C6 than the C4 (if it were still streetable). The C6's engine isn't in any trouble, but everything electrical is a nightmare. It locks me in, it locks me out, it never detects the fob. I've been stranded several times due to stupid glitches and a dead battery.

The only issue I ever had with the C4 was VATS and a broken shock mount after a nasty pothole.

I drove the C6 home from Texas to Detroit the day after I bought it, hit 150+ along the way. Sure, it's a newer car but it had 75k miles on the clock and I had no idea if the oil had ever even been changed...
Posted on: 2013/8/4 2:53

SpectatorRacing Re: Thinking Of Driving The 1985 Back And Forth Across The US Next Year ...
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

I can't stress enough the importance of peppered beef jerky for a road trip. And there is science behind my choice of beverages...not only is Gatorade a perfect complement to peppered beef jerky but the wide mouth bottles allow for less stops along the way.
Posted on: 2013/8/4 2:55

Elite Guru
4247 Posts

Quote:

SpectatorRacing wrote:

I can't stress enough the importance of peppered beef jerky for a road trip. And there is science behind my choice of beverages ... not only is Gatorade a perfect complement to peppered beef jerky but the wide mouth bottles allow for less stops along the way.

thumbup

Posted on: 2013/8/4 18:44

TommyT-Bone Re: Thinking Of Driving The 1985 Back And Forth Across The US Next Year ...
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

j3studio wrote:

Quote:

SpectatorRacing wrote:

I can't stress enough the importance of peppered beef jerky for a road trip. And there is science behind my choice of beverages ... not only is Gatorade a perfect complement to peppered beef jerky but the wide mouth bottles allow for less stops along the way.

thumbup

Depends .....
Posted on: 2013/8/4 19:03

Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Quote:

Depends .....

Well played, TTB...
Posted on: 2013/8/5 12:55

astock165 Re: Thinking Of Driving The 1985 Back And Forth Across The US Next Year ...
Registered Vendor
Manchester NH
199 Posts

Quote:

j3studio wrote: Oh, that's gorgeous ... ... wondering why I've never heard of it.
We're a small company that doesn't pay for much advertising. And I OBVIOUSLY don't spend enough time here on the guru!

Posted on: 2013/9/14 13:21
www.banskimotorsports.com

« 1 (2)
You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.