Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
319 user(s) are online (280 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Sheet Molded Compound
Also known as SMC.

This is the stuff that all C4 Corvettes are made of.

It’s similar to fiberglass, but much more durable.

The only issu...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

xtrememotorsports E-Prom Chips A Thing of The Past ????
Guru Newb
FLORIDA
35 Posts

How many people out there who owne a L98 powered C4 or street rod would like to have an easier way to tune you stock or highly modified engines than having to order a "CHIP".Xtreme Motorsports in Florida has developed a new way to use either a Flash Programable LT1 ECU that utilises a newly developed distributor that takes the place of the optispark ignition system,we are also in the process of developing a system that uses a LS Ecu.What this means to you is a way to tune your engine with any of the following programs LT1 Edit,LS1 Edit,HP Tuners,or EFI Live.If you have any Questions please feel free to PM me or E-Mail me at info@motorsportsxtreme.com
Posted on: 2008/1/20 4:37
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Josh RE:E-Prom Chips A Thing of The Past ????
Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

I guess I really don't see the point. You can be burning chips for your car for less than $200 in gear and software, and it's faster than any flash ECU that I've dinked with.

It takes me about 2 seconds to burn a file to a chip, and another 4-5 seconds to swap out the chip. If I spent another $60 on a Moates Ostrich, I could tune in real time with the chip style ECM, which is something that you can't do with any amount of money on a flash style ECM.

Beyond that, if you hang a tune with a chip ECM all it costs you is a $5 chip. Hang a tune with a flash ECM, and your out $100 for an LT1 unit, and who knows for the LS1 unit.

Again, I just don't see the point.
Posted on: 2008/1/20 5:08

xtrememotorsports RE:E-Prom Chips A Thing of The Past ????
Guru Newb
FLORIDA
35 Posts

Thanks for your input...

I make sure to take in ALL point of views on this subject.
Posted on: 2008/1/20 5:19

bogus RE:E-Prom Chips A Thing of The Past ????
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I would love to put a 94 ECU in my 92 LT1.

If nothing else, the ease of programability and the sequential injection.

Now, if we can come up with a way for the LSx PCM talk to a 90s CCM, we are TALKING!
Posted on: 2008/1/20 5:27

Steve40th RE:E-Prom Chips A Thing of The Past ????
Elite Guru
1114 Posts

Quote:

Now, if we can come up with a way for the LSx PCM talk to a 90s CCM, we are TALKING!

Agree, the sequential alone is a sweet deal. I have all the gear to burn my own chips. But I bet allot of people would like this.
Is this like Moates Ostrich stuff.
Posted on: 2008/1/20 6:43

cuisinartvette RE:E-Prom Chips A Thing of The Past ????
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

So were you banned over there tonight or they just lock your thread? That happened pretty quick.

Tuning is one thing Id really like to learn about but dang, it sounds like there is SOOOOO much to know from listening to those who are really "into" it , not ready to invest hundreds of hours if not more into learning it .
Posted on: 2008/1/20 7:13

CasetheCorvetteman RE:E-Prom Chips A Thing of The Past ????
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

On the 94/95, the sequensial fuel trims cut off at 14.8% TPS on a stock tune, although you can change it to whatever you like.

There are 2 tables, one for idle, and one for off idle.

They look like this:
Resized Image

If you can work out which ones to adjust, you can fix split BLMs with it.
Posted on: 2008/1/20 7:22

toptechx6 RE:E-Prom Chips A Thing of The Past ????
Senior Guru
south Florida
362 Posts

Agree as a 92/93 LT1 guy it would be great to gain the benefits of the sequential injection and ease of tuning, definitely interested in more details.
Posted on: 2008/1/20 9:43

Slrvette RE:E-Prom Chips A Thing of The Past ????
Guru Newb
Clifton Park-NY
17 Posts

Quote:
So were you banned over there tonight or they just lock your thread? That happened pretty quick.

That was my fault for typing something I guess I wasn't suppost too. Xtrememotorsports: Sorry for getting that locked on you.

I was only trying to make a point that I like the flash setup. Its not setup for "realtime" tuning but for a DIY tuner I like it. Even though mine isn't for realtime its one less piece of hardware I had to worry about. When I was shopping around for a setup it got confusing for me with all the stuff thats available. Flash just seemed easier in the long run. Change the .bin and just with a simple click it gets downloaded to your ecm. No more chips to buy.
Posted on: 2008/1/20 15:06

Guru Newb
FLORIDA
35 Posts

Quote:

No I wasnt banned from the CF but my thread was closed. But I was banned from another forum before so I understand I didnt realize the moderator did some tuning on the side, so he didnt like me on the site

Tuning is one thing Id really like to learn about but dang, it sounds like there is SOOOOO much to know from listening to those who are really "into" it , not ready to invest hundreds of hours if not more into learning it .

I understand ... the good thing is the LS software does not have alot of the "frills" that the LS and/or efi live software does . Its pretty basic.
Posted on: 2008/1/20 15:33

Guru Newb
FLORIDA
35 Posts

[quote="cuisinartvette"]So were you banned over there tonight or they just lock your thread? That happened pretty quick.

No I wasnt banned from the CF but my thread was closed. But I was banned from another forum before so I understand I didnt realize the moderator did some tuning on the side, so he didnt like me on the site
Posted on: 2008/1/20 15:35

Guru Newb
FLORIDA
35 Posts

Quote:

We are still working on alot of stuff to make sure everything works the way we plan.. we will be dynoing the car we just installed it in next week and see what happens with the numbers.So check back to see what we get.
Posted on: 2008/1/20 15:37

Klaus RE:E-Prom Chips A Thing of The Past ????
Guru
Atlanta, GA
129 Posts

I'm thinking of this differently... If the distributor takes over the duties of an Optispark - Can we run this distributor in a LT1/LT4 to completely do away with the front mounted Optispark?

I'm sure I've read about people retrofitting distributors on LT1s.

It's an interesting possibility!
Posted on: 2008/1/20 16:06

2008 Machine Silver Coupe
LS3 / Z51 / A6 / NPP

cuisinartvette RE:E-Prom Chips A Thing of The Past ????
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

[quote="xtrememotorsports"]Quote:

Which mod was does tuning on the side!?! I gotta hear this!
Posted on: 2008/1/20 16:08

CentralCoaster RE:E-Prom Chips A Thing of The Past ????
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

What are the benefits of this over Craig Moates "ostrich" setup? That one basically converts the ECM into a real-time flash-type setup.
Posted on: 2008/1/22 21:25

xtrememotorsports hmmmm...
Guru Newb
FLORIDA
35 Posts

I just visited the Moates site and find only sketchy information on their Ostrich. In one place it says the Ostrich is discontinued. So I don’t know much about the Ostrich I really have never heard of them until recently ; but, if you are familiar with the Ostrich maybe you can answer your own question with this info ----> Our product will permanently replace the existing TPI computer (with its chip memory) with a newer, faster processor GM computer that uses flash program memory. Once you arrive at the correct tune, there is no chip to burn, no chip burning hardware, and no chip burning software. It also changes the L98 from a bank to bank injector fire to a sequential injector file which increases economy and decreases the amount of emmissions

Let me know if this helps any...Thanks!!
Posted on: 2008/1/23 1:54

CentralCoaster RE:E-Prom Chips A Thing of The Past ????
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Wouldn't it be cheaper to adapt some sort of magnetic crank trigger like most of the other add-on systems?

Any idea on the cost of the new distributor?

What sort of work will this involve? Will you provide a plug n play adapter to hook into our existing ECM harness? Will other sensors have to be changed over to LS1 equipment?

What about all the different ECM changes over the years? 84, 85, 86-89, 90, 91, 92-93, These all had changes in the inputs and outputs. Probably the biggest being the switch being from MAF to speed density. Would you also market it to TPI f-body owners (way more of those than vettes.)

I like the idea of sequential injection though.

The moates setup allows you to retain the limp-home factory chip, then replaces the chip with a flash type memory, and can allow up to 4(?) different programs to be stored and switched between. I'm no expert on it, I think jrriflecoach would have more input there. I had no idea it was discontinued, he's a small operation so it would surprise me.
Posted on: 2008/1/23 3:07

Guru Newb
FLORIDA
35 Posts

Quote:
Wouldn't it be cheaper to adapt some sort of magnetic crank trigger like most of the other add-on systems?

Any idea on the cost of the new distributor?

What sort of work will this involve? Will you provide a plug n play adapter to hook into our existing ECM harness? Will other sensors have to be changed over to LS1 equipment?

What about all the different ECM changes over the years? 84, 85, 86-89, 90, 91, 92-93, These all had changes in the inputs and outputs. Probably the biggest being the switch being from MAF to speed density. Would you also market it to TPI f-body owners (way more of those than vettes.)

I like the idea of sequential injection though.

The moates setup allows you to retain the limp-home factory chip, then replaces the chip with a flash type memory, and can allow up to 4(?) different programs to be stored and switched between. I'm no expert on it, I think jrriflecoach would have more input there. I had no idea it was discontinued, he's a small operation so it would surprise me.

I am forwarding all your questions to the engineer to answer most of your questions.. we are still testing so we dont know all the answers as of yet BUT yes it will be a plug and play system complete with wiring harness , computer, distributor any and all sensors needed for the conversion, and one of the packages will come with LT1 edit--- The work involved would be finding a suitable place for the computer to be mounted , changing wiring harness out, changing distributor... we've started and completed this project on a 1972 corvette with an L98 in it and it took about 4-6 hours to complete ...
Posted on: 2008/1/23 3:19

xtrememotorsports UPDATE
Guru Newb
FLORIDA
35 Posts

I just wanted to give you guys an update on our new system,The car has a much smoother idle,it improved the overall drivability,and with the car running in the mid to high 11's in the AFR and 9 degrees of knock retard from 3500 to 5500 RPM it gained 18 HP and 24 FTLBS of Torque.I will post up the final numbers tomorrow nite after I get it tuned along with before and after Dyno runs there is obviously alot more power to be had in this L98. :thumbright:
Posted on: 2008/2/6 4:10

cmashark RE:E-Prom Chips A Thing of The Past ????
Guru
virginia beach, va
74 Posts

extreme,

what about the our digital dashes and read outs? i'm not exactly positive, but i thought us MAF guys would loose some (fuel/mpg) readouts if we went to the newer ECMs and speed density? i could only guess that would be the same with your system?

i do like the idea, though. i just spent the last 2 years playing with/customizing an 06 v-rod and i used a daytona twintech twinscan II+ for data logging and the screaming eagle race tuner to reprogram my bike's ecm. it was pretty neat, the twinscan would plug into the data link on the bike and read the programed map and it also used 2 wideband O2 sensors to monitor the output. when you down-loaded the twinscan, it would basically tell you, your ECM is commanding this AFR at this RPM and this TPS. Your bike displayed this AFR at blah, blah, blah. To get to the commanded AFR, change your volumetric efficiency table to XX at this RPM and this TPS. You really had total control of your programing with this set-up, displacement, spark, fuel, turn on/off the knock sensor. it was pretty bad ass, kinda makes me wonder why there isn't more stuff like this that is readily available to the car guys.

chris

oh yeah, this set-up cost me less than $1000.....
Posted on: 2008/2/6 4:35

Guru Newb
FLORIDA
35 Posts

That is the only problem we see is you will loose you MPG gauge,and depending on the kit the price will be $1000-$1500 depending on if you want the full harness or the adapter harness to convert your L98 harness,also our kit will come with the tuning software and interface cable.We are working on a data logging software to include in the kit
Posted on: 2008/2/6 5:02

xtrememotorsports DYNO RESULTS
Guru Newb
FLORIDA
35 Posts

We have completed our initial dyno testing of the "DIGISPARK CONTROLLER SYSTEM" I have posted the dyno sheets and data point sheet below, I think you will notice a significant increase in horsepower and torque. This test was on a '72 vette with a TPI conversion, I have listed the specs of the engine on the dyno sheet--This car did NOT like to be leaned out past 12.5 AFR we believe this is because of the slower burning cast iron heads. We are in the process of permanently installing this controller in a '91 corvette with a stock engine which has the L98 aluminum heads.
Take time to notice the power gains from 1800 to 5200 on the data point sheet.
If you have any questions please email me , pm me comment whatever-- I'd love to hear what you guys think.

Thanks!!
Posted on: 2008/2/10 2:38

red_johnny RE:E-Prom Chips A Thing of The Past ????
On Sabbatical
Augusta, GA (85 383 stroker)
3213 Posts

Maybe its just me but I dont see any results?
Posted on: 2008/2/10 3:04

Guru Newb
FLORIDA
35 Posts

Quote:
Maybe its just me but I dont see any results?

Sorry.
No its not you, for some reason it wont let me post my attachment , I am trying to get s hold of an ADMIN for help.
Posted on: 2008/2/10 3:11

xtrememotorsports LINK TO DYNO SHEET
Guru Newb
FLORIDA
35 Posts

Here is a link to the dyno sheet I cant seem upload it to this site.

http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forums ... ead.php?p=50911#post50911
Posted on: 2008/2/11 3:12

Guru
virginia beach, va
74 Posts

you said that it didn't like to be leaned out past 12.5. i know on my liquid cooled bike, that was good for WOT but ideally, i wanted to be between 13.8 to 14.1 for part throttle. what is ideal for the L98? what did the factory send these out the door with?

chris
Posted on: 2008/2/11 3:48

Guru Newb
FLORIDA
35 Posts

12.9 is perfect on a N/A small block for wide open throttle 14.5 to 14.9 for crusing or normal driving this is where the great fuel economy comes from.This test was also done on 87 octane fuel the car we are perminatly installing it on runs on 91 so the sesults should be more.The factory chip had the AFR at 11.3 to 11.6 at WOT and 13.9 to 14.3 normal driving.
Posted on: 2008/2/11 4:00

Guru
virginia beach, va
74 Posts

Quote:
12.9 is perfect on a N/A small block for wide open throttle 14.5 to 14.9 for crusing or normal driving this is where the great fuel economy comes from.This test was also done on 87 octane fuel the car we are perminatly installing it on runs on 91 so the sesults should be more.

so, was your 12.5 AFR a WOT number or a part throttle number? if it was a WOT AFR, what AFR were you able to achieve during part throttle runs? was the TPI engine that you used in the C3 a stock or modified engine? What mods?

chris
Posted on: 2008/2/11 4:07

Guru
virginia beach, va
74 Posts

i don't know what it effects but by going to the 91, you are completely changing the "constants" of your tests and avoiding the AFR issues you are having on the iron head motor. the iron head motor should be a MAF set up and the 91 is a MAP set up. your number should increase by 15hp, if the factory numbers were correct..............

chris
Posted on: 2008/2/11 4:12

Guru Newb
FLORIDA
35 Posts

This is a 355 CUIN engine equipped with a Tuned Port Injection system of mixed years. The plenum was port matched to the runners and the intake base was port matched to the heads. The iron 882 heads were ported by Racing Head Service sometime in the late 1970s. The camshaft is a single pattern, 212 degree with 0.464 inch lift. The engine is equipped with Hooker long tube headers and is installed in a 1972 Corvette with 2.25 exhaust and Dynomax mufflers.

In the base configuration the engine uses a 1990 Camaro ECM with a stock EPROM (except the VATS was disabled) and generic HEI distributor.

The modified configuration uses a 1994 Impala PCM operating in Speed Density mode with the Digispark distributor.

Partial Throttle was ranging from 14.7 to 15.0 AFR The run on the 91 will be done from scratch a dyno run at stock and a dyno run after the install and tune.
Posted on: 2008/2/11 4:22

Guru
virginia beach, va
74 Posts

oh i see..... when do you expect to start shipping them?

you know, if you need an outsider to install and evaluate your system on a stock vette, i would be willing to give 'er a whirl :toothy5:
Posted on: 2008/2/11 4:35

Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

Again, I just don't see the point. All the changes you made to the tune could have been easily replicated by tuning the chip.

I'm not saying what you are doing isn't a neat idea because it is, but advertising it as a means to increase horse power beyond the capabilities of the stock ECM really isn't true. I'm afraid that those who don't really know what you are talking about are going to by your product based on the assumption that it has tuning capacity beyond the stock ECM. While there are some functions of the OBD2+ system that aren't available in the OBD1 cars, the things that make power (fuel and timing) are equally adjustable in both systems. My car is a 91 vette with a stock ECM tuned by me on my dynojet 224. There's not 5 more HP in the tune, regardless of tuning system. If you really believe that your product can produce more HP on my car, then I have an arrangement that I'd like to propose. I'll buy a system from you, bring my car to you for the install and tuning, and I just want to be there for the before and after dyno numbers. If you can pick up 5 RWHP anywhere in the tune, I'll buy 10 of your systems and carry them in my shop. If not, you can keep you system, re-install my stock stuff, pay for the gas and hotel, stop advertising it on here, and we'll call it even.

My dyno experience (probably not as great as yours, but significant) has been that a 12.9 as measured with a tail pipe probe is close to 12.3 or so if you were to measure at the header. Beyond that, even if you were seeing a true 12.9 at the motor, I'd bet a weeks pay that just about any mild, NA, small block chevy would make more power .5 of a point leaner. Most mild small blocks that I've tuned would run, without detonation or knock, at WOT, all the way up to a little leaner than 14.5 or so. However, most of the time they quit making more power at 13.5 or so; so there isn't any reason to run them that lean. I'm kind of rambling, but at any rate my point is that telling someone that 12.9 is perfect isn't really 100% accurate either.

Maybe I'm missing the point, and I hate to sound like a big meanie head, but so far it really looks to me like you are preying on the ignorance of the crowd here when it comes to tuning these cars. The only benefit I see to your system is that you don't burn chips, and whether or not that is an actual benefit is up for debate. Chips are cheaper, burn faster, and can be tuned in real time. Your set up uses a flash style ECM that minutes instead of seconds to upload tunes to, can't be tuned in real time, uses tuning software that is more expensive, a PCM that is WORTHLESS if you hang a tune or have a computer problem while uploading, and comes with all the headaches associated with a PCM swap.

Again, I apologize for coming off like a bad guy, but I just don't see the point in the product you are offering. Try not to take offense.
Posted on: 2008/2/12 4:26

Guru Newb
FLORIDA
35 Posts

Quote:
Again, I just don't see the point. All the changes you made to the tune could have been easily replicated by tuning the chip.

I'm not saying what you are doing isn't a neat idea because it is, but advertising it as a means to increase horse power beyond the capabilities of the stock ECM really isn't true. I'm afraid that those who don't really know what you are talking about are going to by your product based on the assumption that it has tuning capacity beyond the stock ECM. While there are some functions of the OBD2+ system that aren't available in the OBD1 cars, the things that make power (fuel and timing) are equally adjustable in both systems. My car is a 91 vette with a stock ECM tuned by me on my dynojet 224. There's not 5 more HP in the tune, regardless of tuning system. If you really believe that your product can produce more HP on my car, then I have an arrangement that I'd like to propose. I'll buy a system from you, bring my car to you for the install and tuning, and I just want to be there for the before and after dyno numbers. If you can pick up 5 RWHP anywhere in the tune, I'll buy 10 of your systems and carry them in my shop. If not, you can keep you system, re-install my stock stuff, pay for the gas and hotel, stop advertising it on here, and we'll call it even.

My dyno experience (probably not as great as yours, but significant) has been that a 12.9 as measured with a tail pipe probe is close to 12.3 or so if you were to measure at the header. Beyond that, even if you were seeing a true 12.9 at the motor, I'd bet a weeks pay that just about any mild, NA, small block chevy would make more power .5 of a point leaner. Most mild small blocks that I've tuned would run, without detonation or knock, at WOT, all the way up to a little leaner than 14.5 or so. However, most of the time they quit making more power at 13.5 or so; so there isn't any reason to run them that lean. I'm kind of rambling, but at any rate my point is that telling someone that 12.9 is perfect isn't really 100% accurate either.

Maybe I'm missing the point, and I hate to sound like a big meanie head, but so far it really looks to me like you are preying on the ignorance of the crowd here when it comes to tuning these cars. The only benefit I see to your system is that you don't burn chips, and whether or not that is an actual benefit is up for debate. Chips are cheaper, burn faster, and can be tuned in real time. Your set up uses a flash style ECM that minutes instead of seconds to upload tunes to, can't be tuned in real time, uses tuning software that is more expensive, a PCM that is WORTHLESS if you hang a tune or have a computer problem while uploading, and comes with all the headaches associated with a PCM swap.

Again, I apologize for coming off like a bad guy, but I just don't see the point in the product you are offering. Try not to take offense.

Well I am offended I tune cars to 12.9 AFR for the power and reliability I can understand your problem you are threatened by something that may replace the "CHIP" since you tune eprom cars (no offense).
If you read the post you see that there are other advantages to our system your car fires the injecters bank to bank the LT1 cars have sequential fire.It eliminates the hardware and software needed.
How many cells can you tune,and what resolution are the cells in spark and fuel?Should everyone who bought a car from 94 to present replace their computer with a eprom computer because of the chance of"HANGING A TUNE" ? This is the direction automakers have made and were just following that technology.I think you are missing the whole point .....people who do not have the software or the hardware to do the E-prom chips have to MAIL order them from you or any other tuner, this takes DAYS instead of MINUTES like our system and it is not guaranteed to be right the first time when it is sent off it can take weeks in order to get it right when you have to send it off .....Where are you located? I have neutral car we can use , it has a hypertech chip you can come to my shop tune this car at your cost get your numbers and then we will install our system and tune it ourself and get our numbers and see what the results are.
Send me your email and I will send you the data sheets from the dyno run with wide band readings. Let me know when a good date is for you and we can set all this up, I am more than willing.

Chris
Posted on: 2008/2/12 13:34

Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

I'm in Raleigh, NC. Just like it says under my name, lol.

I'm not trying to come off like a dick head or anything, but I understand if you think that.

Obviously, I don't think everyone should convert their car back to an E-prom set up.

I do tune flash cars too, most of the time they are LS1 cars and I use HP tuners. At the end of the day, the chip set up is easier, cheaper, and faster than HP tuners. I just don't understand the point of converting from a chip ECM to a flash ECM for power production. You won't make any more power, all the variables can be adjusted in either situation, so I just don't understand why you would want to convert.

Here, let's quit the E-thug thing, and just break it down. I'll post 4 or 5 things, then you respond to them. No BS, just break down why I am wrong:

-Burning chips is faster than uploading tunes to a flash ECM.
-Timing is adjustable in .1 degree increments with a chip ECM.
-Fuel is adjustable in .1% increments with a chip ECM.
-The software is cheaper.
Posted on: 2008/2/12 17:42

CFTech EPROMs versus Flash
Guru Newb
2 Posts

For reference, I write the TechLine column for Corvette Fever magazine and a reader recently sent in a question about the differences between EPROM-type ECMs versus the newer flash memory type. and also sent me a link to this thread. Based on some of the questions I receive, there's obviously quite a bit of confusion about this subject. This thread is further evidence, so I thought this is a good place to add fuel to the fire. Also for reference, I've been reprogramming EPROMS since the early 90s and have been reflashing PCMs since 1995.

Saying EPROMS are better than over flash memory is like saying that carburetors are better than EFI. Every type of system or component has advantages and disadvantages, but there are very valid reasons that original equipment manufacturers abandoned carburetors over 20 years ago, and there are also a number of valid reasons that EPROMS were abandoned in favor of flash memory. And just for the record, flash memory is an EPROM-- actually an EEPROM which stands for electronically erasable programmable read only memory. A conventional EPROM is erased by exposing it to ultraviolet light.

The real issue isn't whether an EPROM is better than flash memory, it's whether flash memory-based ECMs/PCMs offer control or calibration benefits compared to their EPROM-based predecessors. Without question, they do. The later flash controllers offer a far broader selection of tables and allow many more tuning options than the older controllers. They also offer sequential fuel injector control as opposed to batch fire. So, without question, converting to a flash memory-based system will provide the tuner with many more options and expanded tuning capability-- not because it uses flash memory, but because it's a newer, more comprehensive system.

Another benefit is that when you reprogram, you don't have to go through the fire drill of putting an EPROM in an eraser, and going through one or more erase cycles (which can last from 1 to 5 minutes) and then wondering whether the chip will erase completely or will "reburn". (I've had brand new chips that will not reprogram, and 10 year old chips that program time and again with no problem.)

Until recently, you could purchase a complete Mem Cal (the whole plug-in assembly that includes and EPROM) from the dealer if you needed one. Unfortunately GM switched to non-erasable PROMs a few years ago, so you either need to find an old core, use a piggy-back board, unless you have the equipment to unsolder an existing EPROM from the Mem Cal and solder in a new one.

In my opinion, later model flash computers unquestionably offer advantages, the question is whether or not you need those advantages. Personally, I don't know why anyone wouldn't want to take advantage of newer technology, but I also realize that some people are perfectly happy with a carburetor and a point-triggered distributor.
Posted on: 2008/2/12 22:06

jsup RE:E-Prom Chips A Thing of The Past ????
Elite Guru
1778 Posts

I'd be interested to see how the challenge turns out. I have been following this and I am interested. I like the idea of sequential firing.
Posted on: 2008/2/12 23:22

Raidmagic RE:E-Prom Chips A Thing of The Past ????
Guru Newb
Florida
168 Posts

Quote:
I'm in Raleigh, NC. Just like it says under my name, lol.

I'm not trying to come off like a dick head or anything, but I understand if you think that.

Obviously, I don't think everyone should convert their car back to an E-prom set up.

I do tune flash cars too, most of the time they are LS1 cars and I use HP tuners. At the end of the day, the chip set up is easier, cheaper, and faster than HP tuners. I just don't understand the point of converting from a chip ECM to a flash ECM for power production. You won't make any more power, all the variables can be adjusted in either situation, so I just don't understand why you would want to convert.

Here, let's quit the E-thug thing, and just break it down. I'll post 4 or 5 things, then you respond to them. No BS, just break down why I am wrong:

-Burning chips is faster than uploading tunes to a flash ECM.
-Timing is adjustable in .1 degree increments with a chip ECM.
-Fuel is adjustable in .1% increments with a chip ECM.
-The software is cheaper.

As a reader of this thread and a user of a prom computer the only problem I see with your arguement is your #1 thought. Most guys have someone else tune their prom so it takes days if not weeks and a few hundred dollars to have a prom burned.
Posted on: 2008/2/12 23:31

Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

Well, it appears that I'm off base with my opinions on this one.

I apologize for the thread detraction, good luck with your product.

I'm still up for the comparison, shoot me an E-mail and we can work something out. joshkinzey AT gmail DOT com.
Posted on: 2008/2/13 0:17

Guru Newb
FLORIDA
35 Posts

Hey man, I’m still waiting to hear you agree to the challenge that you extended. I will pay for your gas on the return trip home if it doesn't work. But, I promise to put you up in a professional environment and provide your meals. I hope you understand that I’m not interested in spending a few hours trying to improve on a tune you have doubtlessly spent countless hours and many dyno pulls working out. That is why I offered the ’91 Vette instead. Although I’ve done countless LS tunes, this will be exactly my second TPI tune. The car currently has a Hypertech chip, 180 degree thermostat, and a K&N Filter. Otherwise it is a 100K mile 6-speed virgin. That customer has already committed to our new kit but is willing to allow testing new chips first. We were even entertaining the idea of inviting someone like Corvette Fever to the event.

CFTech – there is your invitation. I’ll find a place to house you also.

Seriously, I suspect we would agree in general the peak HP and Torque is going to be more dependent on the skill and perseverance of the tuner than in where the PCM or ECM memory lives. When I was approached about tuning “chip” cars, I looked into the cost of the hardware and software. In the end I liked this approach for several reasons. One being that once the car is tuned, the owner will have the option of modifying the tune further down the road if they modify the car. The kit will include a licensed copy of Tuner Cat and scanning software (brand TBD). Our customer would also be strongly encouraged to add a WBO2 sensor before adjusting the tune. On the other hand your customers are tied at the hip to you forever. I think that independence is worth something to today’s DIY, point and click generation. And if our customer gets into trouble, he can send a scan log and we can send an updated file by email instead of snail mail (sorry USPS).

Where we might not agree is the area of tuning points (that is why I asked about cells). I have never seen “chip” programming tables. The flash tables appear to offer 0.1 degree and 0.1% adjustments. The flash tables offer tuning points from 400 to 4000 RPM in either 200 or 400 RPM increments and 4000 to 7000 RPM in 500 RPM increments from 25 to 100 KPA (ignition) and 20 to 100 KPA (VE). (Like we will ever see 7000 RPM in a TPI motor!) That is a total of 330 cells (ignition) and 352 cells (VE) that can be tuned. The more tuning points available, the better the ability to get the AFR / timing right on. While only a few of these cells are concerned with maximum power, most of the cells do affect drivability. The General did not add sequential injection just to make the car more complicated. How many ignition and VE cells are available in a “chip” memory?

Where we expect our kit to make the most gain is in lower RPM torque. That is where the benefit of sequential injection will come into play. This is demonstrated in the fat torque gain in our first ever TPI tune. At higher RPM things are happening so fast in the intake tract that I seriously doubt injector timing matters very much. I would say that at higher RPM, the tuner is going to have more impact than where memory lives in the PCM or ECM. Torque is what the customer feels and torque rules the street.

This kit will require an O2 sensor in each bank. Observing the respective long term fuel trim numbers will enable the individual injector tuning that is not available in batch fire. Again, probably not a max power issue; but, instead a drivability solution.

This kit also offers the customer the ability to use either SD or MAF. While the “chip” ECM can operate in either mode, such a change requires a new chip. With our kit, the owner can make that decision after the fact. Especially after an engine modification where the MAF would be more self adaptive. And we will be using the more tunable LT1 style frequency driven MAF.

While it may take longer to flash a PCM than program a chip, I think you would agree that loading the program is insignificant compared to working on the VE tables and ignition tables. Regarding the possibility the flash can crash; yes, that can happen. I have had it happen once after tuning countless cars. It was a pain to fix; but, it was not a traumatic experience for me or the customer.

As for the MPG display in the Y Body cars, I remain hopeful that that capability will be retained in the ’90 to newer instrument panels. Using an oscilloscope I’ve scanned the serial data stream found in the ’91 and a ’94. The data streams appear similar in frequency and byte content. I do not know if the data streams contain the same information or same information sequence. It does seem unlikely the General would change the data stream, Instrument Panel workings, and Central Control Module just because of the PCM change. That is one reason for doing the ’91 next. I do not have much hope for the ’89 and older cars.

As for those that have asked about adapting this to existing LT1 / Optispark cars to eliminate the front mount: There are people that modify LT1 intakes to allow use of a distributor. A modified intake will work if enough space for our distributor is available with the machined LT1 intake. I’ll have to look into that after the ’91 is done.

CFTech makes a great point – “do you need it?” I think the independence that the upgrade offers to car owners makes it worth the change.

I think we need to include any increase in power whether it be in HP or Torque Cause as we both know a L98 is a torque engine and thats what you feel in the seat of your pants,and when this is proven to work not only would I like your initial order of 10 and you selling and installing this at your shop I want a public endorsement of my product posted on this forum by you.

So, what do your think? I’d really like to have you as a customer. It was a very pleasant 70 degrees here today and the beach is not far away. How is the weather up there?
Posted on: 2008/2/13 0:31

Oaklands RE:E-Prom Chips A Thing of The Past ????
Senior Guru
Morristown, TN
480 Posts

Quote:
That is one reason for doing the ’91 next. I do not have much hope for the ’89 and older cars.

Damn, sounds like I am left out in this. I've got an 88 w/41k on it. I was hoping you guys would invite me down for an independent test. I could bring my own burner and my car is absolutely stock.
Posted on: 2008/2/13 4:32

Guru Newb
FLORIDA
35 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
That is one reason for doing the ’91 next. I do not have much hope for the ’89 and older cars.

Damn, sounds like I am left out in this. I've got an 88 w/41k on it. I was hoping you guys would invite me down for an independent test. I could bring my own burner and my car is absolutely stock.

Just so were clear we weren't talking about the engine in the older cars and not having hope for them, we were talking about the electronic dash in your car , you may lose some of the functions like the miles per gal reading.
Sorry for any confusion that may have caused.
I've had quite a few offers for people to come down, I'll keep you all in mind.
Posted on: 2008/2/13 4:44

CFTech RE:E-Prom Chips A Thing of The Past ????
Guru Newb
2 Posts

Actually, it may be possible to retain most, if not all of the dash functions. Someone will have to go through the wiring diagrams and see what needs to go where and whether voltage values are compatible, to determine what needs to be done. There are some other PCM options available if the LT1 computer doesn't have everything necessary, but I'm sure someone in good standing with the geek squad can figure out how to make everything work.
Posted on: 2008/2/13 18:35

Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

Quote:
Hey man, I’m still waiting to hear you agree to the challenge that you extended.

I accepted it in my last post, but you've got mail to confirm.

Quote:
I will pay for your gas on the return trip home if it doesn't work. But, I promise to put you up in a professional environment and provide your meals.

That's cool man, thanks.

Quote:
I hope you understand that I’m not interested in spending a few hours trying to improve on a tune you have doubtlessly spent countless hours and many dyno pulls working out.

On my car, I've made 41 dyno pulls dialing it in. I seriously doubt any tuning system could eek any more power out of it. That is pretty much my entire point. To me, it seems like you are representing your system as a way of making more power than a chip ECM. I don't think a tuned flash computer will make any more power than a tuned chip ECU. That's my main gripe.

Quote:
That is why I offered the ’91 Vette instead. Although I’ve done countless LS tunes, this will be exactly my second TPI tune. The car currently has a Hypertech chip, 180 degree thermostat, and a K&N Filter. Otherwise it is a 100K mile 6-speed virgin.

I'm down. I guess I have a little more experience with the chip cars, but you have the advantage of the newer flash system, right?

Quote:
Seriously, I suspect we would agree in general the peak HP and Torque is going to be more dependent on the skill and perseverance of the tuner than in where the PCM or ECM memory lives.

Those are my thoughts exactly. So I don't get why you are saying you can make more power with your set up?

Quote:
When I was approached about tuning “chip” cars, I looked into the cost of the hardware and software. In the end I liked this approach for several reasons. One being that once the car is tuned, the owner will have the option of modifying the tune further down the road if they modify the car.

You can make all the changes in the world to a chip tune with a $70 burner from www.moates.net and some free software from Mark Manseur.

Quote:
On the other hand your customers are tied at the hip to you forever.

This absolutely not true. Like I said, anyone I tune a chip for needs a $70 burner to make their own changes. That's it. The editing software is FREE on the Internet. I've E-mailed thousands of .bin files to people all over the country who burn that .bin to a chip and go stick it in their car.

Quote:
I think that independence is worth something to today’s DIY, point and click generation. And if our customer gets into trouble, he can send a scan log and we can send an updated file by email instead of snail mail (sorry USPS).

I absolutely agree with you on this one. With your set-up, the customer has to buy your gear (which is over $1000) to get going. With what I do, all he needs is a $70 chip burner and some $5 chips. Like I said, I E-mail tunes all the time.

Quote:
Where we SNIP How many ignition and VE cells are available in a “chip” memory?

As many as I want. With the chip system the core .bin file is editable. I can change the scale, and number of columns or rows in every table. I could adjust fueling in increments of as little as 10 RPM if I wanted to, or even 7 RPM on later chip cars.

Quote:
Where we expect our kit to make the most gain is in lower RPM torque. That is where the benefit of sequential injection will come into play. This is demonstrated in the fat torque gain in our first ever TPI tune.

I agree that sequential would be nice. I don't think you'll see any benefit above 1400 RPM's as far as power is concerned. It will drive better down low though.

Quote:
At higher RPM things are happening so fast in the intake tract that I seriously doubt injector timing matters very much. I would say that at higher RPM, the tuner is going to have more impact than where memory lives in the PCM or ECM. Torque is what the customer feels and torque rules the street.

Lol, if that were true diesel trucks would rule the street. My L98 makes 370 RWTQ compared to a buddies LT4 that makes 340 RWTQ. He absolutely decimates me from any MPH. At any speed, he will crush me. The reason is because I'm only making 270 RWHP and he's making 355. According to your theory, I should beat him on the street because I make more TQ than he does. Well, I don't. I'm sure there are countless of L98 guys out there that can vouch for getting the ass handed to them by LTX and LSX cars that make less torque and more HP.

I don't have any more free time today, but we can correspond via E-mail and set up the shoot out.
Posted on: 2008/2/13 22:10

Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

Case, delete or re-size that pic. It's making the thread too hard to read, IMO.
Posted on: 2008/2/13 22:11

Guru Newb
FLORIDA
35 Posts

Cool we will see you sometime in March
Posted on: 2008/2/14 19:00

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.