Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
283 user(s) are online (271 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Sheet Molded Compound
Also known as SMC.

This is the stuff that all C4 Corvettes are made of.

It’s similar to fiberglass, but much more durable.

The only issu...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

captmike13 Last Monday in August. 8/25/2014
Elite Guru
Hillsboro Mo
2165 Posts

Good morning gang.

Looks like a hot day here with plenty of humidity go boot.

Not much else going on.

Word of the Day Monday, August 25, 2014

ethos \ EE-thos, EE-thohs, ETH-os, -ohs \, noun;

1. Sociology . the fundamental character or spirit of a culture; the underlying sentiment that informs the beliefs, customs, or practices of a group or society; dominant assumptions of a people or period: In the Greek ethos the individual was highly valued.

2. the character or disposition of a community, group, person, etc.

3. the moral element in dramatic literature that determines a character's action rather than his or her thought or emotion.

Origin:

Ethos comes from the Greek term meaning "custom; habit; character," and provides the root for the term ethics . It entered English in the 1600s.

Today is NATIONAL WHISKEY SOUR DAY

Each year on August 25, people across the United States celebrate National Whiskey Sour Day.

Traditionally garnished with half an orange and a maraschino cherry, a whiskey sour is a mixed drink containing whiskey (often Bourbon), lemon juice and sugar. Whiskey sours are shaken then either served straight or over ice.

An option to the traditional whiskey sour is the Boston sour which is made by adding a dash of egg white to the recipe. Another variant is the Ward 8. The Ward 8 is based with either Bourbon or rye whiskey with both lemon and orange juices added along with grenadine syrup for the sweetener.

The Whiskey Sour has withstood the test of time!

A 1870 Wisconsin newspaper has the world’s oldest historical mention of a whiskey sour.
◦After opening, a bottle of whiskey will remain good for five years.
◦An unopened bottle of whiskey can be kept for over 100 years and will still be good to drink.

ALWAYS REMEMBER: *DO NOT DRINK AND DRIVE*

NATIONAL WHISKEY SOUR DAY HISTORY

Within our research, we were unable to find the creator or the origin of National Whiskey Sour Day, an “unofficial” national holiday.

NATIONAL BANANA SPLIT DAY

Are you R E A D Y ? Today, as in each year on August 25, it is National Banana Split Day!

Classically served in a long dish, called a boat, a banana is cut in half lengthwise and laid in the dish with scoops of vanilla, chocolate and strawberry ice cream placed in between. The strawberry ice cream is complimented with pineapple topping, chocolate syrup is poured on the vanilla ice cream and strawberry topping covers the chocolate ice cream. Crushed nuts, whipped cream and maraschino cherries garnish the entire boat. Today, there are many variations to the classic banana split.

SOUNDS DELICIOUS !!

The banana split was invented by a 23-year-old apprentice pharmacist in Latrobe, Pennsylvania in 1904. David Evans Strickler enjoyed inventing sundaes at the store’s soda fountain. The first “banana-based triple ice cream sundae” sold for 10 cents which was double the cost of all other sundaes.

Enjoy the following “tried and true” Banana Split Cheesecake recipe:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/banana-split-cheesecake/

On this warm day, celebrate National Banana Split Day with a nice cold banana split boat and don’t forget the cherry on top!

NATIONAL BANANA SPLIT DAY HISTORY

We were unable to find the creator of National Banana Split Day, an “unofficial” national holiday.
Posted on: 2014/8/25 10:32

captmike13@yahoo.com
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Matatk Re: Last Monday in August. 8/25/2014
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Good Morning CGs!

Yes it is hot. I went to my folks' house last night to do some work. Inside with the a/c on wasn't too bad installing the new vanity, sink, faucet, plumbing. When I went out to the garage to clean up some stuff, I was just drenched in sweat. Very unpleasant...lol. We are supposed to have rain off and on for the next four days or so. Even better.

I got the new a/c clutch installed the other day but that's as far as I got. Still haven't put the belt on or done any testing. Probably won't get to it tonight, either, as I have to go back to my folks' house for a few odds and ends.

BTW, Mike, I used to enjoy whiskey sours quite a bit. Haven't had one in a while, though.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Matthew
Posted on: 2014/8/25 11:41

pianoguy Re: Last Monday in August. 8/25/2014
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Misymin tuuhis!

Looks like a nice day, so I dragged the Vette out of the garage. I'm gonna have to break down and wash it one of these days.

Have a good day, yawlz!
Posted on: 2014/8/25 12:02

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

teebee Re: Last Monday in August. 8/25/2014
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12364 Posts

Morning guys....running a little late got to go.
Posted on: 2014/8/25 12:17

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

TommyT-Bone Re: Last Monday in August. 8/25/2014
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

I have been so dayum busy lately that life has been passing me by (except for the stuff I've been doing). Last night I started thinking that I really need to treat myself with some of the good things in life. At least I recognize it. Now to do something about it. I need to go see my mom for a few days while the seeing is good. (That would also provide me with a mental diversion). The two closest people in my life are making my life real .................. interesting. Challenging one might say. Oh well, The beat goes on.

Posted on: 2014/8/25 12:23

Ultraman Re: Last Monday in August. 8/25/2014
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14738 Posts

Cool here today and not as humid....big week as we start shutting down the irrigation pivots if the soil is wet enough to finish the corn....at $3 dollar corn most farmers will not want to run again evan if we think they should...

...I'm thinking Tom is tired today after his long day yesterday....he will feel better when he looks out in the garage...

Onward and upward Guru's have a good day.....
Posted on: 2014/8/25 12:27

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

Lakin, Kansas 67860
12364 Posts

1st hour over. I'm totally bushed, Marcus. I even drove the Vette to school today, that helps, but still tired. I still have several things to do on it, but it will take time to get all those things done. I drove it today, because buying it out of state, I have to take it to the sheriff office and have it "inspected". Basically I give them $20 to come out and say, "Man that's a nice car." Then off to the insurance company for them to look at and say, "Tom, that's a nice car." And then to the courthouse to give them $2200 for sales tax and titling and for them to say, "That must be a nice car."

Got to say, rowing through the gears is a lot of fun. Don't think I'll miss the 30hp not going with the LS3. The LS2 is so much more powerful than the LS1......or at least it seems to be.

I'm thinking it's time for a road trip in it already. So we are planning on taking it to KC this weekend.
Posted on: 2014/8/25 14:00

Resized Image

GRIS Re: Last Monday in August. 8/25/2014
Elite Guru
OKLAHOMA
7643 Posts

Quote:

captmike13 wrote:

1. Sociology . The study of what you already know in words you can't understand.

OH WHAT A BEAUTIFUL MORNING--- HUMIDITY DOWN, COOL WHEN I GOT UP. TOOK THE BUMBLEBEE TO THE SHOP TO CHECK OUT LATEST FAINTING SPELL AND THEN TO THE BOOMERANG FOR BREAKFAST. THINK I'LL MOW SOME BEFORE IT GETS TOO HOT.

COOL CAR TEEBEE! Y'ALL HAVE FUN.
Posted on: 2014/8/25 15:06

---"yellow is for folks who think a bright red Corvette is too restrained."

Ultraman Re: Last Monday in August. 8/25/2014
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14738 Posts

Tom did the PO have the skip shift bypassed in the car? I read somewhere that is the first mod anyone does to their Corvettes.....

If you are going thru Salina coming or going I might be able to drive down and see the AO in person....let me know..
Posted on: 2014/8/25 15:10

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

BillH Re: Last Monday in August. 8/25/2014
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Oh boy, 4 hours of masking tape and paper to play with this morning.

At least the car's up on a lift.
Posted on: 2014/8/25 15:32

bastet44 Re: Last Monday in August. 8/25/2014
Webmaster
San Pedro, CA
1389 Posts

Good morning! I just wanted to pop in and say HI. I think of you all often, and how I should at least come in with a greeting. So here I am! Have a great Monday!

I'm off to a networking coffee session at Panera, then pick up some special food for GabbyCat, and then checking out a commercial kitchen that I might rent to expand my baking business. It's not that close to home, and I'd really rather have my own kitchen, but I at least wanna see it.
Posted on: 2014/8/25 15:35

Lakin, Kansas 67860
12364 Posts

Marcus, it will be late when we go through Salina Friday. But we'll be coming home Monday sometime. I'll keep you posted.
Posted on: 2014/8/25 19:45

Resized Image

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

teebee wrote:
1st hour over. I'm totally bushed, Marcus. I even drove the Vette to school today, that helps, but still tired. I still have several things to do on it, but it will take time to get all those things done. I drove it today, because buying it out of state, I have to take it to the sheriff office and have it "inspected". Basically I give them $20 to come out and say, "Man that's a nice car." Then off to the insurance company for them to look at and say, "Tom, that's a nice car." And then to the courthouse to give them $2200 for sales tax and titling and for them to say, "That must be a nice car."

Got to say, rowing through the gears is a lot of fun. Don't think I'll miss the 30hp not going with the LS3. The LS2 is so much more powerful than the LS1......or at least it seems to be.

I'm thinking it's time for a road trip in it already. So we are planning on taking it to KC this weekend.

Must be a nice car.
Posted on: 2014/8/26 1:22

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Some important things done today. More to do tomorrow. One day at a time, that's how some of my tasks are getting done. Others are on the back burner for now. I'm deeply entrenched in the crap life throws at us and I know there's more come. There is but one choice, to deal with it. Oh well. Wah, wah.
Posted on: 2014/8/26 1:32

Lakin, Kansas 67860
12364 Posts

Well, first step done. I talked to our SRO at school and he said he'd come by the house after school and do the check. He asked me how fast it would run......I told him "They claim around 190 for these cars". He said that's pretty fast. And then went on to say they go 130 regularly in the Crown Vics. When he headed back to his car, his last words were "Nice car Tom". Many of my students saw it and most were drooling when they came in to class. A couple said "If I had that car, I'd take it out to see how fast it goes." I told them it probably wouldn't be smart to do that. And talk like that is the reason they will NEVER get the chance to drive mine.
Posted on: 2014/8/26 1:51

Resized Image

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

There are two types of people I let drive my cars. Older experienced drivers that can afford to replace it or experienced instructor types. My 15 y/o Yukon I'll let people related to me drive for emergencies.
Posted on: 2014/8/26 13:32

Lakin, Kansas 67860
12364 Posts

They really didn't have a chance to drive it anyway.....
Posted on: 2014/8/27 3:28

Resized Image

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.