Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
276 user(s) are online (232 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Horn
A rather boring honk, but it should be loud and clear.

It should work with key on or off....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

captmike13 Wed 4 Feb 2015
Elite Guru
Hillsboro Mo
2166 Posts

Good morning gang.

Not a lot going on. Some snow last night but only a dusting. We should see more today and into the evening maybe 3 inches worth. The main thing to watch for is the temps falling all day from low 30's to the low teens and maybe negative digits tonight.

Got my layoff notice yesterday. So my official last day of work here with this company is Feb 27. My anticipated hire for the new company taking over is Feb 23. A weeks worth of double pay isn't to bad.

On with today.

Word of the day is winnow.

Today is NATIONAL THANK A MAILMAN DAY

There is mail in your mailbox six days a week so let’s take time out of our day to thank the mail person who is responsible for getting it there! Thank A Mailman Day is always celebrated on February 4th. It is a day that is a reminder of just how important mail carriers are to our everyday lives.

The motto of the Pony Express riders, who were the most famous early American “mailmen” was “Neither rain, or snow, nor death of night, can keep us from our duty”. This motto is believed to be taken, in part, from a motto dating back to ancient times. The most popular variation of this motto is “Through rain or snow, or sleet or hail, we’ll carry the mail. We will not fail”. How about we give our mail carrier a big THANK YOU, a nice smile, a token of appreciate or find some way to let then know that they are appreciated

FUN FACTS:
◦In 1775, the Second Continental Congress established the Constitutional Post–the first organized mail service in America.
◦As the nation’s first Postmaster General, Benjamin Franklin established many of the conventions we are accustomed to today.
◦Postage stamps were invented in 1847.
◦On April 3, 1860 the famous Pony Express officially took off.
◦In 1863, free city delivery started and in 1896, free rural delivery began.
◦In 1963, the Zip Code began.

NATIONAL THANK A MAILMAN DAY HISTORY

Research on this “unofficial” national holiday has failed to find the origin or the creator of this day.

NATIONAL CREATE A VACUUM DAY

Our research on Create A Vacuum Day has failed to find factual information relating to this day. What was found is that it is celebrated on February 4th. Due to the lack of information, just let your imagination lead you how you celebrate Create A Vacuum Day.

From Wikipedia:

Vacuum is space that is empty of matter. The word stems from the Latin adjective vacuus for “empty” or “void”. An approximation to such vacuum is a region with a gaseous pressure much less than atmospheric pressure. Physicists often discuss ideal test results that would occur in a perfectvacuum, which they sometimes simply call “vacuum” or free space, and use the term partial vacuum to refer to an actual imperfect vacuum as one might have in a laboratory or in space. The Latin term in vacuo is used to describe an object as being in what would otherwise be a vacuum.
Posted on: 2015/2/4 11:12

captmike13@yahoo.com
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

pianoguy Re: Wed 4 Feb 2015
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Dios si daddaramat
Posted on: 2015/2/4 11:35

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Matatk Re: Wed 4 Feb 2015
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

Good Morning CGs!

Mike, I'm glad that the new company hired you to stay on. I'm sure that's a relief. How is the job hunt going for the wife?

We were supposed to get some snow last night but it missed us by about 5 miles and hit a couple of towns over. No complaints here. BIL brought over FIL's snowblower last night for me to fix a no start condition. I got it running but only on choke, needs a carb like all of them out there with ethanol gas. It will work for the season then I have to fix it properly.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Matthew
Posted on: 2015/2/4 12:31

TommyT-Bone Re: Wed 4 Feb 2015
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33774 Posts

Quote:

captmike13 wrote:
Vacuum is space that is empty of matter.

Matt vacuums in a vacuum.
Posted on: 2015/2/4 12:54

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33774 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
BIL brought over FIL's snowblower last night for me to fix a no start condition. I got it running but only on choke, needs a carb like all of them out there with ethanol gas. It will work for the season then I have to fix it properly.

How about using rec fuel? It sure has helped my boat in keeping the carbs clean.
Posted on: 2015/2/4 12:56

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33774 Posts

After flittering around on social media and email and being a lazy ass the past couple of days, I have to get it in gear today. Maybe I can catch up a little on the backlog I've generated. Have a good'n. And I'm happy for you captmike. Employment/unemployment can toss your world upside down. I remember.
Posted on: 2015/2/4 13:00

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Howdy! Sloppy out there this morning, got some snow yesterday afternoon, so it's another great day for windshield-washer fluid salesmen.

Enjoy the double pay, Mike - well-deserved for the stress, I'm sure.

This is crazy:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/live ... an-river-rolling-coverage

Have a good day, yawlz!
Posted on: 2015/2/4 13:18

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

captmike13 Re: Wed 4 Feb 2015
Elite Guru
Hillsboro Mo
2166 Posts

The wife's job hunting is not doing so well but we're pushing along and hoping for the best. Matt if I remember correctly premium gas is ethanol free.
Posted on: 2015/2/4 13:25

captmike13@yahoo.com

teebee Re: Wed 4 Feb 2015
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12374 Posts

Morning guys...early meeting this morning to find out who our new Supt is going to be.. we have our suspicions. It ain't going to be pretty.... Hosting b-ball tourney today, so I work the clock all morning. This afternoon I take the Corvette over to the Chebby dealer to have the recall done.
Posted on: 2015/2/4 13:25

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Resized Image
Posted on: 2015/2/4 14:06

BillH Re: Wed 4 Feb 2015
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Humm, I've used ethanol blend in mu snowblower for 7 years, starts right up, idles fine.

I did put a carb kit in it when I got it, musta done it right.

I'd see if it's running right this year but I haven't put any gas in it this winter.

71 here today.
Posted on: 2015/2/4 14:27

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

They rerun the Pony Express trail here every year.

Attach file:

png  pony.png (158.29 KB)
881_54d22e0aa2225.png 396X127 px
Posted on: 2015/2/4 14:34

GRIS Re: Wed 4 Feb 2015
Elite Guru
OKLAHOMA
7682 Posts

ANOTHER SUNNY MORNING IN THE NATIONS, NOT SO COLD, BUT IT'S SUPPOSED TO CLOUD UP THIS AFTERNOON. THEY ARE PREDICTING A WARM SPELL NEXT WEEK, MAYBE I CAN PUT THE TOP DOWN ON THE NEW TOY.

GOT SOME TRIFLE'N HOUSEHOLD CHORES TO DO TODAY, OTHERWISE IT'S ALL FREEWHEELING.

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul. -- George Bernard Shaw
Posted on: 2015/2/4 15:01

---"yellow is for folks who think a bright red Corvette is too restrained."

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33774 Posts

Quote:

pianoguy wrote:
Resized Image

BillH: Luckily for me I can't hear a damned thing this woman is talking about.
Posted on: 2015/2/4 15:28

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33774 Posts

I use this snow removal system in Florida. Gets all it's use on dust though. It snowed here for a minute or two a few years back.

Attach file:

jpg  Florida snow removal system.jpg (5.93 KB)
852_54d23c4e00745.jpg 300X206 px
Posted on: 2015/2/4 15:36

Ultraman Re: Wed 4 Feb 2015
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14760 Posts

Atta boy Capt. that's good news....wife will also have good news soon I'm thinking.....

Hey hey is that ethanol bashing I'm hearing........ethanol is a basic foundational piece of our freedoms here in America......without it there would be chaos in the streets.....all would be lost......and I would not have anywhere to haul the corn with our semi's...... Really when I put E10 in our Honda four trax's and snowblower it helps keep them cleaned up of gunk when they sit for long periods of time.......I'm thinking something else is wrong there with that snowblower.......most the bad stuff about ethanol fuel is urban myth....we must embrace it for it is good for us..........and me.....

Big honking blizzard out there right now with 8 more inches forecast....all schools shut down and nothing moving anywhere.....its a fast mover and they are saying sunshine by this after noon....just in time to dig it all out again......nice!

Have a wonderful day Guru's........support a farmer....buy ethanol.....
Posted on: 2015/2/4 15:42

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

vetteblondie Re: Wed 4 Feb 2015
Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4660 Posts

Good news Mike - agreed, a week of double pay, well deserved for the stress.
Snow predicted here for Thursday, hoping it misses us as has been the usual case this winter. Found a car, called the dealer, he was an ass - search continues. Loving the new TV.. got the 50" Vizio 240hz - found myself a 1080i channel. Man it looked lifelike compared to the 9-year-old plasma. Gave that 42" thing to the other gal that works out at the body shop. Had the cable shut off, that will knock my bill with them from $136 to $35 a month. A friend sent me his Netflix and Vudu info to use, I'll probably get CBS at $6/mo and share with him. That will do me. History channel I like is free. All I need. Hanging that huge thing on the wall by myself was a whole nuther matter. And, after looking at it, wondering why I didn't get a bigger one?
Posted on: 2015/2/4 18:13

Yes, I'm a bitch... just not YOURS.

Resized Image

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33774 Posts

Quote:

vetteblondie wrote:
Hanging that huge thing on the wall by myself was a whole nuther matter. And, after looking at it, wondering why I didn't get a bigger one?

Hanging that TV must have been tough too.
Posted on: 2015/2/4 18:38

vetteblondie Re: Wed 4 Feb 2015
Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4660 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
Quote:

vetteblondie wrote:
Hanging that huge thing on the wall by myself was a whole nuther matter. And, after looking at it, wondering why I didn't get a bigger one?

Hanging that TV must have been tough too.

you nave no idea lol....
Posted on: 2015/2/4 18:49

Yes, I'm a bitch... just not YOURS.

Resized Image

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:

BillH: Luckily for me I can't hear a damned thing this woman is talking about.

Even if I could, it wouldn't matter, unlike some here, I do what I want.

Attach file:

jpg  in.jpg (10.70 KB)
881_54d26b79df8dd.jpg 353X143 px
Posted on: 2015/2/4 18:57

Ultraman Re: Wed 4 Feb 2015
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14760 Posts

Storms over suns out.......-8 tonight.....that's cold dude...

Parts came in so I will be working on the GS in the heated shop tonight....this time I will get it right....wrenching mojo would be appreciated...
Posted on: 2015/2/4 19:01

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33774 Posts

Picked up my Yukon. I supplied the parts. Cost me about $720 then another $43 in tax. I feel it was a bargain. Upper/lower ball joints, upper control arm bushings, inner/outer tie rods, pitman arm, idler arm, adjusting sleeves, sway bar link and idler bracket. Also had valve cover gaskets installed, inner outer wheel bearings and seals, new shocks, oil change and alignment. The Yukon rides like a champ. I think the total with parts is around $1100. Guess I'll be keeping her for awhile. Beats spending $30k+ on a newer Suburban. I actually enjoyed the ride home. It was quiet as a mouse, and smooth as new. Had it painted a little over a year ago. Mechanically she's tight. The cd player doesn't work but I've been listening to the radio. If I want one I'll get one. They're about $85 plus installation for rebuilt OE units. The only time I really listen to cd's is on a longer trip anyway so I can live with it. Turned in the 91 Corvette for a problem with battery drain, bearing noise outside the front of the engine and check for a small oil leak. I get a little smoke from time to time. Getting the fleet in top condition one car at a time. The 928 needs some attention too. A/C issue, reupholster the rear inside panels and replace a window switch. Looking at $1500+ there because the dash has to come off and there are a number of sensors and controls back there . I'll spend until Sue gets pissed off. lol We do this every year. Fix something on the cars that needs fixing. Can't do it all at once. We ain't rich.
Posted on: 2015/2/4 21:36

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33774 Posts

Quote:

Ultraman wrote:
....wrenching mojo would be appreciated...

Posted on: 2015/2/4 21:40

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Wrenching mojo indeed, Marcus!

Letty, if you don't have an antenna, look into one of these (get the one appropriate for the distance from broadcast stations):

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Ul ... &keywords=digital+antenna

We have them on a few of our TV's and they work pretty well, we get all kinds of channels.
Posted on: 2015/2/4 23:31

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Yeah, Tommy - $1100 is a couple of payments nowadays. Well-done!
Posted on: 2015/2/4 23:34

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Doug Smith is on his deathbed and knows the end is near.

His nurse, his wife, his daughter and two sons are with him.

He asks for 2 witnesses to be present and a camcorder be in place
to record his last wishes, and when all is ready he begins to speak:

My son, "Bernie, I want you to take the Mayfair houses."

My daughter "Sybil, you take the apartments over in the east end."

My son, "Jamie, I want you to take the offices over in the City Centre."

"Sarah, my dear wife, please take all the residential buildings on the banks of the river."

The nurse and witnesses are blown away as they did not realize his
extensive holdings, and as Doug slips away, the nurse says,
"Mrs. Smith, your husband must have been such a hard-working
man to have accumulated all this property".

Sarah replies, "Property ? ... the a$$hole has a paper route!"
Posted on: 2015/2/5 3:04

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
Beats spending $30k+ on a newer Suburban.

I was at a Chrysler dealer today...new 2015 SRT Grand Cherokee was in the showroom...$74,990.
Posted on: 2015/2/5 3:17

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

Ethanol blended gas is the worst thing ever invented for carbs and older fuel systems. Anyone who says otherwise is a liar and a fool. Ethanol is corrosive to metal, plastic, and rubber.

I cannot get ethanol free fuel, although I would gladly pay a premium for it. In the summer I started using ethanol free gas that is premixed with oil and sold in a prepackaged quart at the mower shop. It's expensive as heck, but you only use a little.

I know the owner of the lawnmower/engine repair shop and we've talked about it multiple times. I know several mechanics who restore classic cars and they know the effects. I have personally rebuilt carbs or replaced them on small engines due to the damaging effects of ethanol.

Bottom line is ethanol blended gas is horrible for small engines and older cars.

http://blog.jackssmallengines.com/201 ... -ethanol-damage-up-close/

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/ne ... ll-engines-fail/index.htm

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/ ... 5-gasoline-damage-engine/

Posted on: 2015/2/5 3:26

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

Posted on: 2015/2/5 3:30

teebee Re: Wed 4 Feb 2015
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12374 Posts

evening guys...The announcement of our new leader was almost like we anticipated. It's going to be interesting. We never got any of the snow they were talking about, just the cold and wind.

GS #2's team won the first game this morning, on a shot with 3 seconds left in the game. That put them in the bracket against the #1 seed in the last game of the day. Well, we know how that turned out...not good for our boys. #2's season is over.

After that game, I took the Corvette over to the "city" to the Chebby dealer to have the recall fix done tomorrow. We'll go back tomorrow and pick it up. We'll see how that turns out, they were very friendly....we'll see. While I was waiting for Rosie to show up the salesman complimented me on the orange beast and telling me they have a new Z06 on order. Might be worth my time for them to let me know when it comes in so I can go look at it...
Posted on: 2015/2/5 4:20

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.